eighteen

Little Coincidences
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The first time Baekhyun sees Raon today is when the skies are dark and the girl is marveling at luxuries she has never dreamed of buying. She doesn't mind the people pushing past her on the busy streets of Hongdae because her eyes are only fixated on whatever the hell could be displayed in that shop. Baekhyun is guessing make-up products or perhaps something extremely cute or lingerie? Nah. At a time like this, there isn't any room for his dirty mindedness to kick in. 

He is standing a few feet away from her, watching her silently. He doesn't want to approach her just yet. After a heated conversation with Woobin about her erasing memories which was very close to breaking out in to a physical fight, he thinks he needs a well-deserved rest. Right now, staring at her childlike expression calms him inside. How can Baekhyun not want to protect her?

A girl like Raon, such an innocent, unmindful girl. The secret of her having the ability to erase memories doesn't suit this image of hers. Baekhyun wonders why she has this power. Raon is more of the type to forget the simplest things, she couldn't even remember what she last ate for dinner yesterday. Does she even remember why she erases the memories of people?

Okay, Byun Baekhyun. You're going to ask her about the whole memory erasing power. Baekhyun breathes in deeply, ready to take a step forward, but he stops. Realisation makes him stop and he frowns. The word 'secret' flashes in his mind like a bright neon sign. Raon has been trying to hide this from him ever since she started staying at his place. If he suddenly brings her ability up in front of her, that childish smile of hers will disappear and he doesn't want to risk that even though it seems that this is a matter of life and death to him. 

Baekhyun's legs start to move. He stops in front of the shop window, this time he's right next to Raon. He slides his hands in the pocket of his oversized beige coat because of the chilly weather, turning to face the window. So, she's been looking at this? Tonymoly's new Pokemon make-up collection would make any girl stop walking to have a glance. 

"Does this look worth staring at for five minutes? It's nothing much."

Raon faces the owner of the snarky comment and Baekhyun knows she's surprised to see him. "Byun Baekhyun! How'd you know I was here? Don't tell me you  "

"I wasn't following you the whole day, calm down. You've been watching too many dramas. Your imagination's already going crazy. I asked where you were but you didn't reply me so I checked your Instagram story that said you were here," Baekhyun gives her a proud grin, indirectly giving her the message that he's a smartass.

"You just got lucky," Raon grumbles, "that's nothing to show off."

"But I still found you." He adds, taking a step closer to her without her noticing. They stand next to each other and continue staring at the display of the store. Baekhyun has never been interested at the products in the first place, he's just pretending to examine the Pikachu-faced mini cushion blusher to make Raon impressed. Other than that reason, he wants to stand next to her like this for as long as the heavens allow him to. To him, he isn't asking for much.

Baekhyun has no clue if he and Raon are thinking of the same thing. Maybe she's thinking about which colour of mascara she should purchase. He glances at her and he's surprised to find her staring at him. Her eyes are shining, Baekhyun can't tell if it's because of the bright lighting above them but when she looks at him those orbs are shimmering as if she's staring at a prized diamond. They widen their eyes and turn to face the window. 

"Are you going to buy this or not?" Baekhyun asks with his naturally loud voice which disrupts the romantic atmosphere. He can't help himself, it comes out when he's flustered.

"I can't, I'm saving up." Raon huffs because this is the tenth time Baekhyun has heard this from her.

And he always replies her with the same thing. "Saving up?! Yah, what are you uselessly saving up for? You still have so much of the extra money I got back for you. Also, if you consider staying with me, that's a lot of money!" 

"What did you just say?" Raon blinks at the last sentence. 

Baekhyun agrees that he's landed himself in trouble. This stupid mouth of his needs it's own leash A.S.A.P. Now he has to pretend to play it cool. Play it cool, Byun Baek. It'll be easy. "I didn't say anything."

"I swear I heard you say something about me staying with  "

"You were hearing everything wrong. I said if you consider staying with me, that's a lot of money you're going to be owing me." Before the girl can ask him anymore, he points at the make-up to avert the subject. "Woah, this shop looks interesting, let's go in. You can go empty out the shelves."

Baekhyun plants his hands on her shoulders, but Raon doesn't want to budge. "Hey! I already told you I'm saving up, how the heck am I supposed to empty the shelves? I'm not rich like you, Byun Baekhyun." She turns to him, resting her hands on her waist.

Baekhyun taps a finger on her forehead and gives her a gentle smile. "Then I'll just buy them for you." He notices the opportunity for him to link his arms with hers. He slides his arm through the space between her bent arm and waist. His actions spell C-H-E-E-S-Y all over, but strangely he feels good about it.

The both of them enter TonyMoly, or more like Baekhyun drags her in by weak force. He scans around the place and his head makes swift turns left and right like a beagle searching for a stick thrown by its owner. When he spots the Pokemon make-up section, he leads Raon to it. Why am I getting so excited over this more than her? They stop at the adorable products and Baekhyun is confident he can buy everything off this shelf.

His eyes look around for an available employee since the visible ones are tending to customers. Raon places the face mask back. "What are you doing?"

"I'm finding someone who works here," Baekhyun says without facing her as he's still finding an employee.

"Wait, why? There's nothing we need to ask them."

"We're going to buy everything, so we should tell them."

This time, Baekhyun looks at her and Raon's jaw drops. She cups his face, the soft pads of her fingers are pressing themselves against his skin to stop his face from moving. "Listen here, Baekhyun-ah. I know it's your money, but you're not going to buy everything off this section! I don't need everything, heck, I don't even need anything from here."

"But I want to buy you something," Baekhyun frowns, "just one thing? I think... you deserve it."

"Not one of everything." Raon nudges him and simply picks up a medium-sized bottle of Pikachu handcream. "Remember, just one thing."

Baekhyun can't help looking at the price tag for a completely different reason. "It's only 5,900 won? That's too cheap! Raon, I'm not some cheap guy who spends less than ten thousand won on a girl." He chooses a pink bottle with a round, pink Pokemon with beady green eyes. "If we get two bottles, the total will be 11,800 won. Wait, let's get another one. I still think I should be spending more on you."

"Byun Baekhyun, it's already over ten thousand won!"

"I'll buy it anyway."

"Hey!"

"I'm kidding," he smiles, reaching to pinch the side of her cheek on impulse. "Now stop whining and let's go pay."

 

 

"We're here." Baekhyun says, looking up at his house. 

"Finally, it's getting colder outside. We should hurry up and go in." Raon unlocks the gate with her spare set of keys Baekhyun gave her. She turns around, frowning when she sees him standing still, his feet unmoving. "Baekhyun? Did you hear me?"

Baekhyun takes a step forwards, reaching out to pull Raon by her arm. She is caught off guard by his action and stumbles in his arms that have instinctively raised themselves to hold her. The next thing he sees when he raises his head are her widened eyes. Big, round, beady eyes just like that Pokemon they saw earlier. He wonders how he can bring himself to question her if the mere act of meeting her eyes sends his limbs turning in to jelly.

Another thing he can't ignore is the fact that her hands are on his chest. What does she think he is? A wall she can stick herself to? Baekhyun knows he shouldn't be blaming her because even he can't bring himself to release her out of his embrace. This is not the atmosphere he intended to make. Now it's up to him to decide which direction this situation is going to head for. He isn't sure if he wants to sacrifice a perfect romantic moment for his own curiosity, but this must be the only thing Raon his keeping from him and he wants her to be able to comfortably tell him everything.

"Jeon Raon," Baekhyun can hear something in his chest. Thump, thump, thump. "There's something I need to ask you. The other day whe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter