nineteen

Little Coincidences
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Raon can't seem to focus on her work for the whole day. She tries to act normally, but the thought of Baekhyun holding her hand in his, the thought of him declaring that he will protect her   causes a giddy smile to take over her lips. She rests her face in her palms, too taken by her daydreams. Meanwhile her friends are focused on their work, until Jongdae decides to check the time on the bottom right of his monitor.

"Hey, Hyojoo noona, isn't there supposed to be a seminar today?" Hyojoo nods and Jongdae can already tell that this isn't a good sign. "What time is that supposed to be?"

"At eleven, why?"

A few seconds later, all three of them except Raon, stand up in unison. They look at each other in panic. "We're late. We're so done for. I can't believe it's the first seminar of the year, given by none other than the Boss himself and we're late for it," Boyoung sighs, slinging her bag over her shoulder in a hurry.

Hyojoo turns to Raon's workspace to see the girl not moving. "Yah, Jeon Raon, what are you doing? We have to go!"

"For what?" She asks absentmindedly.

"The seminar! It's already five minutes past eleven," Boyoung shakes her head.

Seminar... seminar... Right, CEO Kim is going to be giving a seminar. She widens her eyes. . "Okay, okay! Wait for me, I'm coming," she gets out of her chair, rushing over to her friends who are waiting for her at the entranceway.

The two hour long seminar is led by Junmyeon. Thankfully, he doesn't say anything about the graphic design department being ten minutes late and continues talking about future developments for the company. The conference hall is filled with employees. The only four seats available are the ones right in front of Junmyeon, so the four of them have to settle for those. 

Raon dedicates all her attention to the talk, even shushing Jongdae when he tries to whisper terrible jokes to her. Junmyeon is an excellent talker, she has noticed. He presents everything in such a simple manner, it's easy to follow and although he does slip in dad jokes once in awhile, which causes a round of tired groans, his handsome face makes up for them.

When the seminar ends, everyone bows to Junmyeon to give their thanks and file out of the hall. Raon tells them to go ahead because she has some things to ask Junmyeon, but he approaches her first. 

"How was it?" Junmyeon asks, referring to the seminar. 

"As usual, it was great," Raon smiles, holding a thumbs up for him, but she remembers the rank of the person standing in front of her, "...Mr. Kim."

Junmyeon scratches the back of his head, laughing. "That sounds pretty awkward now. You can drop the formalities when we're alone. Junmyeon is fine."

"Are you sure that's okay?"

"Yeah, why not? You're Baekhyun's   " He stops, observing her flustered expression, "girlfriend, after all. Aren't you?"

Raon nods slowly, recalling his words from this morning. "To be honest... I don't know. I feel like the only thing keeping me from being sure is the fact that I know so little about him. Do you think it's a good idea to, you know, date?"

Junmyeon thinks for awhile, eyebrows furrowed together in thought. "One of the good things about having a relationship... is that you find out more about each other along the way. It takes time for a person to open up, normally. Why don't you and Baekhyun try talking it through?"

"I should," Raon sighs, turning to Junmyeon again. "Should I?"

Junmyeon chuckles and places a hand on her shoulder. "Relax, everything will be fine. He likes you a lot, I'll tell you that, and I'm not lying."

 

 

Baekhyun plops down in one of the many empty seats with Taehyung following suit. Joohyuk emerges from the changing room of the bar he is working part time at, dressed in a white dressed shirt with the first few buttons let loose. The three of them cherish the silence in the deserted bar. They are exhausted. The con artist they had to deal with earlier was a handful. She was renowned for extorting small  businesses through fabricating fake rumours and things to use against them as a way make fast money or to make them close down. Any of her victims were never able to escape with evidence of her threatening them.

It turned out that she had reached out to them to make a sort of deal, where they would discuss future plans of collaborating with each other. She had only reached out to Baekhyun because as she had told them, she was too scared of Yunho, Woobin and the rest, and that the three of them were the only ones who caught her attention, which could have been why she revealed all her wrongdoings in the first hour of their conversation and Joohyuk had recorded everything.

"She trusted us too fast," Taehyung mentions, "now what's going to happen to that company of hers?"

"Who cares? She's going to be in jail by the time she can find a way to sustain it," Baekhyun shrugs, uninterested at the topic. 

"By the way, what do we do with the evidence, hyung?" Taehyung shows him the audio recordings and security camera footage on his laptop screen. 

"Submit it to the police anonymously, they'll take care of the rest," Baekhyun tells the younger boy.

"We didn't earn anything from this though," Joohyuk rolls his sleeves up. "What a shame. The least she could have done was given us some celebratory money."

"It's fine, there are tons of opportunities left in the future. Do you know how many people want to work and make deals with us? Based on the emails I've received, I'd say it's close to a thousand," Taehyung says.

"A thousand? Imagine all the money we'rd earn from that, I'd be able to retire in my twenties," Joohyuk's mouth hangs agape. "Well, I don't want to do this con artist business forever, but I'll stop when you stop, Baek. We're actually putting ourselves in danger. I know we con all those evil people for a good cause, but the police won't look at it that way. We have conned CEOs, they have tons of power to be able to put us behind bars. Also, weren't the police really close to finding out about Baekhyun? There's a thrill, a satisfaction in helping people, but I don't want to have to keep lying to others or fearing for the future."

Baekhyun pretends to snap out of a daze. "What did you say?"

Joohyuk rolls his eyes. "Are you serious? You weren't listening at all?"

"Tell me next time," he gets up from his seat once he sees a text message from Raon. "I need to go somewhere."

 

 

 

Baekhyun takes the subway to Gangnam where Daebak Soft is located. It is his first time taking public transportation in awhile since he is always so used to zooming around in a different car each day. It takes him five minutes to walk to the building and when he enters he can spot Raon just on her way out of the lift. He smiles widely and he wonders when he started finding her a million more times more attractive than anyone. Now that he knows they are officially dating, he really isn't making an effort to hide the affection that has been growing all along without his knowledge.

"Have a great weekend, Raon-ah! See you on Monday~" Her friends, who he recognises from the other day, wave their farewells before parting ways.

Raon continues waving until they are out of sight, then she averts her attention to her phone. Baekhyun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter