twenty six

Little Coincidences
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun wants to get out of this situation fast. He expected to meet Junmyeon damn it, not the woman who leaves him stuttering like an idiot with stage-fright because he knows how detestable his actions are and the amount of guilt he feels towards her only keeps growing. He stares at the look on her face, one word registers in his mind: heartbreak. Perhaps it is an emotion much more larger than heartbreak, he can't describe it. She keeps shaking her head, not wanting to believe his words. If he says anything more, he knows she will cry. Hanyool won't forgive him if he hears this.

"Let go of me, Raon." Why does he sound like he is talking to Mijin? No, I don't mean it. I don't mean it, I don't mean it. 

"Who's telling you to do this?" She asks.

"No one," that is true on his part.

"Then why?!" The loudness of her voice resonates throughout the cafe, shifting attention of other customers on to the both of them. Some of them have the Daebak Soft lanyard hanging around their necks.

Baekhyun winces, feeling a pang in his heart. Watching her choke on her words and being able to do nothing is living torture. She is normally not afraid to express her thoughts to him, but he can see that she is being cautious with her words, harbouring the fear that a wrong slip of the tongue could make him turn his back on her. She shouldn't be treating him like fragile glass, she should be hitting him and hating him.

Over her shoulder, he can see Junmyeon and Jongdae coming over. They enter the cafe. Baekhyun places his hands on Raon's shoulders, pulling her away from him and shooting her a look of seriousness, and she doesn't hold onto him again. Junmyeon comes over, looking back and forth between them. Raon doesn't tear her gaze away from Baekhyun, but he avoids it. 

"What's going on here?" Jongdae widens his eyes seeing the tears trickling down Raon's face. "Raon, are you okay?"

"I said I wanted to talk to you," Baekhyun sighs at Junmyeon. 

"I know, it's just   " Junmyeon tries to explain, but Baekhyun shakes his head, not wanting to let her hear anymore in this cafe. 

"Nevermind, let's go somewhere else."

Junmyeon simply nods, waiting for him to lead the way. For one last time, Baekhyun glances at Raon who is being comforted by Jongdae. No matter how much he wants to be the one hugging her, he has to stay away. He forces himself to look away and he takes a deep breath before exiting the cafe without turning around. It hurts him that he has to do this to the woman he loves, but at a time like this, Baekhyun can't risk her being in danger. 

This is the worst thing I've ever done.

Once they arrive at the highest floor of the building, the rooftop, the strong gusts of wind welcome them. It is a barren open space without anything much other than a few water tanks and ventilation machines and also a shed where the electricity is controlled. Baekhyun is the one to walk over to the ledge first to heave a large sigh. Junmyeon joins beside him, back leaning and faced away from the view of the bustling city. 

"Want some coffee?" Junmyeon asks.

Baekhyun shakes his head, burying his head in his hands. "I'm not in the mood for anything."

"Mind telling me specifically why you broke up with Raon? I know it isn't because you've fallen out of love, Baekhyun. Your eyes just now, how they looked, told me that you are still very much in love with her," Junmyeon can read him too well sometimes which on Baekhyun's part is a bad thing.

"It's because I'm a ing coward... I don't even understand why I'm like this..." Baekhyun can't erase her crying face from his mind.

"Yah, you're not a coward. Really, Baek, why did you   "

Junmyeon widens his eyes when he turns to look at Baekhyun and the younger boy is already facing him as tears begin to escape his eyes. Junmyeon is so taken aback he is left frozen for a short moment because it has been so long since he has seen Baekhyun cry in front of him. Seeing him like this reminds him of the time years ago when he showed up at his doorstep covered in snow, his cheeks and nose flushed red from the cold. The time that the both of them now know to be the moment Baekhyun almost got shot by someone he saw as a brother.

"H-hyung... I'm sorry..." 

Junmyeon brings Baekhyun in for a hug because he knows that words only will not comfort him now. They stay that way, with Junmyeon smoothing his back and patting it. Baekhyun rests his forehead on Junmyeon's shoulder and weeps quietly. The miserable years of his childhood, the dreams he pushed aside to take this path, Junmyeon thinks, only to come to the realisation to regret all these choices the moment he gave his heart to her. 

Baekhyun is probably crying with these thoughts in mind. 

"I know what you've been through, there's no need to be sorry," Junmyeon says.

"I keep worrying you. If you lose me, it'll feel as if you've lost a little brother..." Baekhyun sniffs. "And I can't imagine how Raon will feel once she finds out about me, but I still have one last thing I need to do."

 

 

 

"Hyung, why are you staying at Joohyuk's place?"

"I ran away from home."

"What? But you live alone."

At that moment, Joohyuk emerges from his room, greeting them in his living room with a grin. "This is big news. Taehyung, you and I, if we take this on, we'll be able to stop scamming people. The money we'll get from this bracelet is no joke! I was contacted by this buyer from China. Apparently, he's super rich and for his upcoming proposal, he wants this bracelet. That bracelet weighs 60 carats, and its pink as hell. Unfortunately, it's ex

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter