twelve

Little Coincidences
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Raon checks the time on her phone. Darn, it's eleven. She packs her things and stretches her arms after doing so. Her floor is completely empty right now, with only her desk and the lights near the exits to the lift being on. She hurries along to wait for the lift and when the doors open, she is surprised to see that the CEO is getting off work at this time. Junmyeon is staring at his phone in one hand while carrying his case in another.

Junmyeon looks up to see Raon entering the lift and bowing at him. "Oh, Raon. Hello." One of the nice things about her boss is that he is on friendly terms with all the employees and even knows all their names.

"Hello Mr. Kim, have you just wrapped up today's work?" Raon asks softly.

"Yup, unfortunately, there were a lot of games to assess today. The graphics you and Boyoung designed for the new items were splendid, I requested for Mr. Lee to have it added to the game." Junmyeon smiles. 

"Really? That's great," Raon grins, she can't wait to see her designs being implemented into one of the most downloaded Daebak Soft games.

"Ah- I almost forgot." Junmyeon starts digging in his briefcase and retrieves out a file. "Sorry if this is too sudden, but I heard from Baekhyun that you are staying with him now. Could you pass this to him for me, it's a bit urgent. He's at Dongdaemun right now."

Raon's cheeks redden as she takes the file from him in a daze. "W-what, how did you-- did he tell you?"

The elevator doors open on the main floor. Junmyeon exits and turns around to wink at her. "Don't worry, I know there's nothing going on between you two. Though, I think we might be talking a lot more from now on."

 

 

The wind is extra chilly today. Raon steps off the bus at Dongdaemun Square as she makes her way to the hotel, holding the sealed file close to her chest. She can't help but shiver in this weather, having lost the heat from the heaters inside of the bus. She looks up at the dark sky and sighs upon noticing that there are no stars out. It looks like it is going to snow on a day like this. 

When Raon arrives in front of the JW Marriott Hotel ten minutes later, she is only greeted by bellboys assisting guests to bring their luggage in and calling cabs for them. She can't see any sign of Byun Baekhyun anywhere, maybe the dinner hasn't ended yet. She stands out in the cold for another minute and checks her messages, but there are none sent from him.

Of course he would never message me. In that case, I'll send him something instead. Raon types furiously on her phone, but before she can hit send her phone buzzes in her hands. She widens her eyes at the sender, wondering if what she is looking at right now could be a mere trick illusion created by her mind. 

 From: Jerkface Baekhyun

where are you right now? 11:25

 To: Jerkface Baekhyun

I'm outside the hotel entrance, my boss told me to pass you something 11:25

OH, and why does he know we're living under the same roof??? 11:25

Did you tell him? 11:26

YAH 11:26

 11:27

 From: Jerkface Baekhyun

I'm on my way down 11:27

Don't go anywhere 11:27

Leave it to Byun Baekhyun to reply with the vaguest answers. Raon rolls her eyes, stuffing her phone in her sling bag. It is a relief that tomorrow is Saturday or else she might ditch the thought of waiting for Baekhyun on the spot. She wonders what is taking him so long anyway. Is he meeting up with wealthy businessmen? So he was more involved in business than anything else, he did mention that he was a freelancer before. He could be someone who gives advice on how to manage a company or maybe they were talking about economics! 

Raon is so immersed in her thoughts of what Baekhyun's job could really be that she doesn't notice a tall man standing in front of her.

"What is a young lady like you doing out here all alone in the cold?"

Raon is snapped back into reality, her thoughts disappearing in an instant as she stares at this man who she has never met. He is smartly dressed in a suit and long coat with his hair slicked back and a charismatic gaze.

"D-do I know you?" She frowns. 

The man smiles, a sort of smile full of ambiguity because she doesn't know his intentions, of why he's talking to her in the first place. What if he's attempting to hit on her? She might be taking it as a friendly gesture if there isn't this unsettling feeling to that smile of his.

"No, I only want to ask why you're alone. Since I've already approached you, we can get to know each other too, if that sounds alright to you."

"Uh, I'm fine. I'm just waiting for a... friend of mine." Her eyes dart around the place in hopes of finding Baekhyun around. "He's not down yet."

"How unchivalrous can Byun Baekhyun be?"

Before Raon can say anything, her view of the man is suddenly blocked by someone else. From the familiar dark caramel hair she has seen so many times, she knows it is none other than Baekhyun. His hand finds it's way to circles his fingers around her wrist as he backs away with her still guarded behind him. She cannot see the look on his face but whatever emotion he is feeling towards this man right now, she is certain, is negative.

"What are you doing here? I thought you would have gone home already." Baekhyun says, his voice friendly.

"I was about to until I saw her," he gestures his head at Raon, "waiting by herself. It looks like the both of you are pretty close. Who is she to you?"

"That's for me to know, and it's nothing you should be worrying about. We'll be taking our leave now, have a good night." Baekhyun turns to face her, looking at her with unreadable eyes. "Let's go."

Baekhyun begins to lead her away to wherever they are going. Raon turns around in time to see the man still standing there, watching them. Something is off about this man the more she thinks about it. How did he know I was waiting for Baekhyun? She wonders if she should tell Baekhyun of this, but decides against it because he doesn't seem to be in the best mood. His steps are rushed and heavy and she is struggling to follow his pace with her high heels. 

Baekhyun stops in his tracks when they're in the quiet parking lot. "The next time you see him again, don't talk to him."

"Why can't I talk to him?" Raon asks, eager to know if he will give her a proper answer.

"He's a business partner..." At this, his hold around her wrist tightens and she pulls her a little closer, reducing the distance between the tips of their shoes. She looks into his eyes, where she can see everything better. Baekhyun's lips are forming a little frown, which would have been missed if she wasn't this close to him. His eyes are fixed on her and Raon wonders if it could be... that he is worried about something.

"Don't talk to him. He's a business partner, but sometimes you have to side with your enemies to succeed." Baekhyun says. "Junmyeon hyung must have told you to pass me some

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter