thirteen

Little Coincidences
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I can do this, Baekhyun briefed me through it. Raon goes through the whole plan in her head for the fifth time in the span of thirty minutes. The last time she has ever been this nervous was when she had to impersonate her absent friend's voice when the lecturer was taking attendance in college. Now, this unfamiliar feeling has taken over her once again, twice as bad than the first time.

Raon wishes for more time, she has approximately a little more than a day to remember what she is supposed to do. She can't afford to mess up, not after Baekhyun took the time out of his unproductive Saturday to explain the whole plan to her. She feels bad that he had to repeat it like three times for her little brain which is normally unable to take up large bits of foreign information.

Seriously, I think I even erase my own memories sometimes! Raon clutches her head, sighing. Darn, she totally forgot about her ability. Only erase it as a last resort, I can't use it in front of them. I promised Baekhyun that I won't do anything rash. She rests her chin on her desk, holding her small pinky that had interlocked with Baekhyun's close to her face. She can't believe a childish (that's probably what he describes it as) gesture like this hasn't been erased from his brain yet. She wonders if she is the only girl he has ever made a pinky promise to.

"That's stupid to think," Raon shakes her head. "Of course he's bound to have pinky promised girls in elementary school... Well, it's not like I haven't done it with boys, I mean..."

"Are you done talking to yourself?"

In an instant, Raon lifts her head off the table, her head turning to the door with the widest eyes. How did she not hear the sound of her door open? Baekhyun is leaning against the doorframe of her room, hands in the pocket of his black coat. He stares at her in mild amusement.

"Did you forget how to knock! This is the room of a woman."

"Mhm, sure, and this is my house." He smirks, that sentence has recently become his favourite.

Raon stands up with a huff, fast footsteps nearing the door. She stops when she is awfully close to Baekhyun, her face being a little under his chin. "Can you move? I'm heading out."

"Where are you going..." Baekhyun holds his breath, flustered at the minimal distance between them.

"Daebak Soft, to pick up some things. Now, if you'll excuse me." She pushes him out of the way.

"Yah," he calls out to her and Raon decides to spare a glance for this poor soul she has just pushed. "I'm going to Daebak Soft too. I have something to talk about with Junmyeon. Since we're heading to the same place, it'll be more convenient for you to sit in my car. You don't want to walk to the bus stop in this weather now, would you?"

Raon opens to protest, but she realises that the weather has been merciless these past few days with strong chilly winds. "Fine."

 

 

Baekhyun is seated across from Junmyeon, in the usual cafe inside the Daebak Soft building. He opens his mouth and stops when the words refuse to come out. Instead, he reaches for his cup of iced americano and sips on it as his head bobs to the music, his eyes traveling everywhere in the cafe except on Junmyeon. He is the one who called the older boy here in the first place, but to be honest he is scared of how Junmyeon will react to what he wants to tell him.

"What's the matter?" Junmyeon notices his behaviour right away. "Has the cat got the ever so talkative Byun Baekhyun's tongue?"

"No!" Baekhyun frowns.

Junmyeon lets out a good-hearted chuckle, arms crossed in front of his chest in a relaxed manner. Junmyeon always looks so at peace and smiles like he has no care in the world. Being the CEO of one of the leading game companies in South Korea does carry great responsibility, but Baekhyun thinks that the job can't be as bad as what a con artist has to do. He entangles himself in much more danger than Junmyeon does on a monthly basis.

"The document you told me that you wanted the other day, did Raon pass it to you?"

"Mhmm," he nods in return. "Thanks, hyung. And about why I "

"You don't have to tell me," Junmyeon raises a hand to stop him, "I already know. After all, why else would you ask for Kim Woobin's schedule if you're not going to get involved with him?"

Of course, Junmyeon is the type to catch on to things rather quickly. Baekhyun can already see how concerned he is starting to get. Maybe he shouldn't have started on this topic. Even though Junmyeon might try to dissuade him along the course of their conversation, the former knows it'll take a whole lot more work for Baekhyun to listen to him. Once he has set a goal on something, he does everything in his power to achieve it.

"Yeah, I am. Tomorrow night, at Incheon port, I'm going to..." Baekhyun looks around the cafe to see if anyone is listening in on them before he leans in close and whispers. "I'm going to obstruct one of his dealings."

"And what is this for?" Junmyeon eyes him questioningly. "As far as I know, you have never stepped foot near Kim Woobin and whatever he does. Why now, Baekhyun? Woobin may look like an upright man who handles matters strategically, but I've heard of the inhumane measures he goes to, so he can con the people who trust him. You do know that he has more experience than you, it won't be easy to fool him, it's a one percent chance."

"I'll take that one percent chance," Baekhyun declares with determination. "Because I want to teach them a lesson. And I promised her."

Junmyeon is puzzled at the mention of this sudden 'her'. "What? Her "

The knock on the glass window next to their tables causes the heads of the two men to stop their chat.

"Her," Baekhyun mutters, staring at Raon. "I promised her."

 

 

Sunday night arrives too soon. Before Baekhyun knows it, they are on their way to Incheon Port after having a short run through of their finalised plan. So far, they have handled all the small details. Joohyuk returned Woobin's phone to him yesterday, making sure to delete the part of the chat history with the buyer which instructed him to bring all the money in cash. Fortunately, Woobin didn't suspect anything and had even thanked him.

Baekhyun and Raon are in the backseat because his two friends had insisted for him to all of a sudden. He secures the black cap on his head. After looking at the pictures in the file Junmyeon gave him, he is certain all of Kim Woobin's men at the Port will be wearing the same outfit as him. Since the men at the Port are rookies at a lower rank and Woobin did mention training them the other day, he won't be there to monitor them. Plus, this exchange is on a small scale compared to the other dealings he makes.

Baekhyun taps his fingers on his lap, he is still slightly nervous. But he knows there might be someone more nervous than he is at this moment. He turns his head to Raon who is staring straight ahead. Her face is absent of fear and Baekhyun is surprised that she is handling her emotions well until his eyes trail down on to her trembling hands.

He doesn't blame her for being scared, she is a normal civilian and normal civilians stay far away from these sort of matters. Perhaps, it is right for Raon to not get embroiled in the work of criminals.

"If you don't want to do this, you don't have to. Joohyuk wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter