twenty two

Little Coincidences
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Light fills the room. The Dean of Shilmyung Hospital, Dae Byungil does not expect to find three young men sitting in the leather couches in front of his desk. At first, seeing them in their medical gowns, he mistakes them for medical interns. There are two of them sitting facing the door. One of them is typing away at the laptop resting on his knees, the other is on his phone and the last one with his back turned, he is not sure what he is doing. 

"What are you interns doing here?" The dean demands for an answer, causing the two facing him to raise their heads, but the other does not budge. How they don't even stand up to bow irks him. "What are you doing just sitting there? You're not even going to greet the dean? What are your names?"

"Sorry," Joohyuk stands up. "Intern Nam Joohyuk at your service, sir."

Joohyuk hits Taehyung on the shoulder and the younger boy rises, not meeting the dean's eyes. "Sorry, Intern Kim Taehyung."

The dean jerks his head at the one sitting down. "What about you? Where are your manners?"

"Pardon me," he finally stands up, turning his head to look at him. "Intern Byun Baekhyun here."

Baekhyun watches the dean nod and grunt, walking over to his desk. The old man settles in his chair and the three of them are staring at him in silence. He is waiting for the man to point that something feels off about them, but surely he can't recognise every single intern this hospital takes in. This target of theirs is unsuspecting and Baekhyun can already guess that they will get what they want.

"What are you here interns here for? Questions? If so be quick, I have other matters to take care of soon. I don't have time to waste answering questions from interns." The dean says this not looking at them and at some documents instead. 

"We're not sure if you'd like being asked this question though..." Joohyuk says.

Baekhyun goes over to stand before his desk. He places a piece of paper on the table, sliding it over to the dean. "This is the list of patients that have died from unknown causes receiving treatment in your hospital. Did you ever notice those people outside? These patients were their family members. Taehyung-ah, show him."

Taehyung goes over next to Baekhyun, turning around the laptop in his hands. The screen displays another document, the most important one. This is what makes the dean freeze in his spot, makes his blood go cold and makes his heart stop. Seeing the look of utter horror on his face, the three of them can't help but smirk, knowing that they have cornered the dean.

"Sir, we don't think the other hospital staff will have an answer for this if we show them." Taehyung flashes an angelic smile.

Joohyuk crosses his arms and he has always been the daring one before Baekhyun, because he pushes the dean's name plaque away to make space for him to sit on the desk. Although Joohyuk is a joker most of time when he is with them on an operation, he changes in front of these villains. Joohyuk enjoys the fear he is instilling in this man, Baekhyun has known him for so many years that he can see it in him. And he was the one implying that we should quit all of this soon...

"Illegal license to pass the usage of the Special K drug in your medcine. This is not even the expensive type." Joohyuk reads the rest of what is written on the document on the laptop screen. "Imported from Myanmar. How do you even know what you're getting is high quality?"

"Shilmyung only imports high quality medicine. We put millions in to our research. Just admit that you forged everything, you hopeless, conning brats!"

"Look here," Baekhyun goes over to the man, lifting him up by the collar off his chair. "Who are you trying to kid? Hopeless conning brats like us have our sources everywhere. Shall I show you pictures of the meeting you had with assemblyman Park Woo? He passed you this exact same document." He throws him back on the chair. "The media is going to love what they're seeing once it gets uploaded. Isn't that right, Taehyung-ah? You should hurry and answer us, you see, Taehyung's hands get jittery."

The dean glances over at Taehyung, whose finger is milimetres away from pressing on the enter key. Now he has fallen silent. His silence screams victory for them. Baekhyun taps his foot, estimating that it will take exactly ten seconds from now for him to ask the long awaited question...

"What do you want from me?"

"Oh! Mr. Dae, now we're talking!" Joohyuk claps his hands, a triumphant smirk taking over his lips. "We want a billion won from you. You should have that for us, right? Shilmyung Medical Group are one of the country's leading companies after all."

"What we do with the money is none of your concern, but one thing is for sure that we're going to provide some justice to to those people who have been protesting outside there for days without resting. And then we want the official document for every patient who died from taking your medicine, plus a public apology. Also, we won't be making an appearance in your office anytime soon, depending on how you handle things around here." Baekhyun pushes his circular framed glasses on the bridge of his nose.

"How should I pass you the money?" The dean stares at the ground. 

"Transfer it to this account, you have three hours." Taehyung slides a piece of paper on the table. "Don't try anything fishy, old man."

"The documents," Baekhyun reminds and the dean unlocks one of the drawers in his desk, rummaging for the documents before throwing them on the desk.

After changing out of the medical uniforms and in to their normal clothes, the three of them venture out of the hospital. Their spirits are lifted from their success. Joohyuk is going on about how he will treat them for drinks but Baekhyun stops in his tracks when he still catches sight of the protesters. In front of several of time, an old woman is holding up a piece of white cardboard that reads 'Justice must be served! Bring back Youngjin!' All of them looked tired out, having stood outside here for hours.

"Yah, aren't you guys forgetting something that we have to do first before we can actually celebrate?" Baek

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter