sixteen

Little Coincidences
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Raon, have you sent the draft for the non-player characters yet?" Jongdae yells from the other end of the office. "Seokjin wants it by three today."

Raon stares at her one, fully designed charater on her monitor, rubbing her face tiredly. "Yeah... uhm, about that, I'll send it later..."

"You're only done with one?!" Hyojoo gawks. "Girl, what were you doing with your Sunday? I thought you said you would get most of it done yesterday night."

"Well, I couldn't! Because..." She looks at her friends who are waiting for an answer. I can't tell them that I was talking to Baekhyun and lazing around after that! Think, think, what would be the most generic answer from me that would make them roll their eyes?

"I was caught up. While You Were Sleeping really gets you hooked, okay? I mean, Lee Jongsuk's visuals are no joke."

As if on cue, all of them roll their eyes. Boyoung shakes her head and returns to her work. Hyojoo says something about her having to control her drama watching sessions. Jongdae leans back in his chair with his hands behind his head, yelling a proud I knew it! at her. Then they all focus on their work again, leaving Raon to her character design.

Twenty minutes in her second character, her phone vibrates on the table. She glances at the lighted screen and her eyes almost pop out of their sockets when she notices that it is a text message from Baekhyun. Her heart is speeding up in her chest but she is too preoccupied with her phone.

 

From: Jerkface Baekhyun

so tonight, is it your treat? 13:10

To: Jerkface Baekhyun

woahhhh, did you change your profile picture? 13:10

From: Jerkface Baekhyun

why? should I change it to something else? 13:11

To: Jerkface Baekhyun

no 13:11

you look surprisingly good in that photo, don't change it 13:11

From: Jerkface Baekhyun

ok 13:12

we're getting off topic here 13:12

you're buying us food tonight, right? 13:12

To: Jerkface Baekhyun

I don't think I have much of a choice here -.- 13:12

what do you guys wanna eat anyway? can you choose the restaurant? 13:13

From: Jerkface Baekhyun

mhm, we'll find one 13:13

when do you get off work? 13:13

To: Jerkface Baekhyun

depends on how fast I can finish my work 13:14

I'd say around six? 13:14

From: Jerkface Baekhyun

okay, then I'll pick you up at six 13:15

Raon wonders if her eyes are playing tricks on her when she sees what Baekhyun has texted her. She squints her eyes, nearing her face towards the screen so she can read the mressage word by word. I'll pick you up at six. I'll. Pick. You. Up.

"H-he's going to pick me up?!" Raon abruptly stands up.

"Who's going to pick you up?" Hyojoo asks. "And why do you make it sound as if it's a bad thing that that person is picking you up?"

"It's nothing... uh... my sister said she's going to pick me up..." Raon assures, settling back in her seat.

"Your sister? I thought she's always busy. We've only seen her once," Boyoung says. "Well, for her to finally be able to spend time with you, that's nice."

Raon lets out an awkward laugh while nodding. She needs to get her work done fast or Baekhyun might ditch her if she's not done by six.

 

 

"Let's all go out for drinks!" Jongdae checks the time on his watch. "We're right on time, all done by six, with five minutes to spare."

"Sajangnim must be trying to torture us. It's the beginning year and there's already so much work to do," Boyoung stretches in her seat.

Raon leans against her chair to relax for five minutes. So Baekhyun was right about Junmyeon not going easy on his employees this month. Every department in the company have literally been working their butts off on the development, marketing and whatnot for their new game. That's not the only thing, they also have other games that need to be updated from time to time.

She just completed her character designing and sent it to their Lead Artist, Kim Seokjin, a few minutes prior. She still has more to work on tomorrow though.

The four of them take the elevator down from the entrance, having to be quiet since there are some higher-ups inside. However, once they are out and going to the main doors of the building, Jongdae and Hyojoo start their never ending chatting about hings like how great the cafeteria food tasted toda while Boyoung reminds them to keep their voices down. Raon would join them, but she is busy scanning her surroundings for any sight of Baekhyun.

I thought he said six...

They are a few steps away from the crosswalk when a striking midnight blue BMW M4 pulls up in front of them. Raon stares dumbfoundedly as the driver steps out of the vehicle. She lets out a small gasp and her friends look at her. Baekhyun's eyes meet with hers, a tiny smirk playing on his lips. His eyes only seem to be fixed on her, so much to the point that he doesn't even greet her friends.

"Raon, who is he? He's staring at you," Boyoung nudges her. "Do you know him?"

"No way..." Jongdae's mouth hangs agape. "He's not your boyfriend, right?"

"No! Guys, he's not, it's nothing like that," Raon shakes her head fervently.

"Jeon Raon, are you going to keep standing there forever?" Baekhyun taps his fingers on the hood of the car, mindful of the stares he is attracting. "Hurry up, I'm starting to get hungry."

Raon turns to her friends. "I-I'll explain tomorrow I promise. It's not what it looks like."

She leaves her confused friends hanging on the pavement and she mouths an 'I'm sorry' to them when she is in the car. Even in the distance, she can still see the three of them watching Baekhyun's car speed off.

"They're so going to get the wrong idea now..."

"What? Don't tell me that they think I'm your boyfriend," Baekhyun scoffs. "I mean, did I really give off the impression of it?"

"I've never talked about you to them before so basically when you, a random guy, showed up in front of them to pick me up, they were already starting to get all the wrong ideas," she frowns.

"I can't believe you never mentioned me to them before. I helped you get your money back!" he reasons. "Do they even know who you're staying with right now? You're going to be the next hot topic for a month if people find out. What if they know I'm Junmyeon's friend?"

"Are you going to tell them? You can't!" Raon attempts to reach to cover Baekhyun's mouth but he's in the middle of driving and the last thing he wants is to get in an accident so he swats her hands away.

"Yah! I swear, you're trying to get us killed."

"Sorry..." Raon slumps down in her seat. "You can't tell anyone, okay? It's not like I'm staying at your place permanently and once a month is up, like you said, I'll leave and never get involved in your life again "

Baekhyun's grip on the steering wheel tightens, the visible veins popping out on his arm.

"You said that three months ago and I don't know if you still feel the same now, but I'm not okay with us being strangers. I still want to be friends with you because in truth, you're a great person to be around, Byun Baekhyun. Without you, I'd probably never be able to get my money back so I'm really grateful. Let's continue to be friends, hm?"

Baekhyun pulls over at a curb, stopping the car. He unbuckles his seatbelt and reaches over Raon to pull her seatbelt and buckle it in place, all this w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter