chapter one

Little Coincidences
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun and Joohyuk exit the car, dressed in simple suits. Joohyuk tosses the car keys to the valet outside the convention centre. Baekhyun looks over at his friend and under his sunglasses, he rolls his eyes. The younger boy shrugs in return. Without further exchange, they begin walking.

From the way they are dressed, it is obvious these two men do not belong in an anime convention. They are here for something much more exciting. To get to their venue, they have to get past this anime convention first. Baekhyun can feel all eyes on him and his friend as they're casually sauntering around the place. He can't attract too much unwanted attention. The last thing he wants is to get recognised as a celebrity which is something he is far from considering what he does.

"Joohyuk, people are following us."

Joohyuk turns around and sighs in relief upon seeing a bunch of teenage girls dressed as anime characters. "Hyung, you scared me! I thought big buff men were following us. They're just high school girls, they can't do much. It's easy to lose them."

"No, high school girls are hardcore. Don't be fooled, you might find them camping outside your house. Don't you read the news about fangirls stalking their idols? It's only a matter of time before they think we're predebut trainees and take pictures of us!" Baekhyun sighs, fastening up his pace. "No one can have pictures of us. Never."

"Alright, alright, you wanna lose them, then let's do it." Joohyuk pulls him to make a right turn before they enter a crowd of people who are screaming and cheering. There are a lot of tall guys in this crowd so it's difficult to catch up with where Joohyuk is going. Baekhyun hates that the scamming covention has to be on the same day as an anime convention.

A few curse words and rough pushing later, they are out of the crowd and on the other side of the convention centre. The both of them quickly head for the elevator being guarded by a bunch of intimidating men. They recognise Baekhyun and Joohyuk immediately and lead them to one of the few elevators that only have access to the lower ground floor.

The elevator doors close, the noise coming from outside fades away.

"Who the heck decided that it was a good idea to have this the same day as an anime convention? I hate it." Baekhyun leans against the wall. 

"Forget about all of that, it'll only put you in a bad mood. We're finally going to attened Seoul's annual scamming convention!"

Just as Joohyuk finishes off his sentence, the elevator doors open, revealing a much larger underground venue. The place is swarmed with many people, which is strange considering that this is more of a private event. Baekhyun estimates about six thousand people. There are various booths set up and some of them are selling disguises, workshops teaching people how to avoid the police, how to not look suspicious and what not.

At the other end of the venue is an empty stage. There is a slide projected from a powerpoint, showcasing the face of South Korea's best con artist, one of the top twenty in the world. The very person who hosted this event, Jung Yunho. Baekhyun would be glad to give a short introduction.

Name: Jung Yunho

Age: 32

Good qualities: Charming, gives you the impression of a well mannered guy upon first meeting so he gains the trust of people easily, has a high intelligence level. Leaves no trace of himself. 

Bad qualities: Kinda cocky. No-- super cocky.

Most well known for: Making one of South Korea's largest corporations go bankrupt seven years ago at the young age of twenty five. Scamming one billion won off this famous Amercian actress.

Baekhyun only knows this much because he has helped Yunho in his scams a couple of times. They're friends, sure, he can consider them that. He's a senior he respects because of the fact that he was able to drive a powerful company to their inevitable end for mistreating their workers. He fooled the chairman in to believing he owned another huge company and when they got acquainted for 'business', the chairman told the former of the dark secrets of the company beforehand, trusting for him to keep it a secret. Yunho didn't intend to though. He remembered it was the only thing news stations would talk about for a week. Until now, nobody except a few con artists like Baekhyun and Joohyuk know Yunho was the one behind it. 

Now he's doing fantastic, the only reason why this event is possible is all thanks to Yunho. He's made some pretty strong connections throughout those years of doing business and with the billions of dollars he has, hosting an event like this is easy for him. 

"That Jung Yunho is really something," Joohyuk softly claps his hands together, "he's already the best con artist in this country. The police here don't know what he's done. I heard he asked the Chairman of Super Build to let him use this venue for business matters and just like that, he got it!"

"The police here don't know we're con artists too. If you get caught by the police or not, it's no big deal. You can easily escape. Geez, who cares about that? I have big connections too." Baekhyun has to admit he does feel a bit jealous of the recognition Yunho has been receiving.

"Who cares about what?"

A hand rests on Baekhyun's shoulder, making him turn his head around. Yunho's smiling face greets him and Joohyuk. He is dressed smartly in a navy blue suit and tie. His hair has been slicked back so that it doesn't cover all of his shiny forehead. He's a well rounded man with sharp eyes and an aura of charisma.

Baekhyun doesn't remember the last time he saw Yunho, but since when was he the same height as Joohyuk? Maybe he's wearing insoles. He feels embarrassed standing in between these two with his not-so-tall height.

"Nothing." Baekhyun mumbles. "What are you doing here? You should be backstage before your fans try to invade your personal bubble."

"Yunho hyung! Hello." Joohyuk gives the older male a full ninety degree bow.

"There's no need to be so formal, Joohyuk." Yunho pats him on the back and focuses back on Baekhyun. "It's fine, they're all already sitting in front. They won't notice us back here. Besides, I haven't seen you since last year. I was cruising in America. It's been so long, South Korea's third best con artist!"

Baekhyun clenches his fists, his nails start digging in to the skin of his palm. "Don't call me that."

"Being the third best in the country isn't something to be ashamed about. The more scams you do, the more your rank will rise up. Actually, even now I'm still a bit surprised you're in front of people way older than you, but I guess it must be the technology that plays a big part now."

"No, I got up here with my skill. And I'm not hoping for my rank to rise."

Yunho shoots him an incredulous look before bursting in to laughter. Baekhyun hates it, when Yunho treats everything he says like that of a child. This is another annoying trait about him. Yunho never seems to take everyone 'below his level' seriously, especially Baekhyun. Baekhyun knows he can be childish at times because out of the group of all these con artists, so far he's the youngest one who is actually doing well, he's sort of the moodmaker when Yunho invites him for gatherings which he doesn't quite fancy either.

Joohyuk glances at the shorter male, aware that he is so close to going over his patience limit. He is only able to offer him a short pat on the shoulder because the both of them can't badmouth Yunho when he's standing next to them, full of smiles. Thankfully, one of the staff calls him on stage as it's time for him to commence his speech. When Yunho leaves them, Baekhyun's fists unclench themselves and his body relaxes.

Baekhyun knows extremely well that Yunho has been getting on his nerves lately. The latter never used to be like this in the past. He used to be generous, set on scamming people who were the vile corruptions of society. Now Yunho only seems to be hurting the feelings of innocent people, not just those who have committed crimes. Overtime, money changed him. That's why Baek

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter