chap 3

Dream Walker

Mir stretched up his back with his arms high up in the sky. "Good to be out of here." He smiled widely, watching the blue sky. "Ah… It felt like I haven't been out here for forever."

          "Stop exaggerating." Seungho cut him off, his arm wrapped around Mir's shoulder and he pulled the maknae with him to the car. "You're just warded for 3 days."

          "I still hate hospital. They gave me bad dreams." Mir mumbled sulkily and entered the car at the backseat while Seungho occupied the driver seat and GO on the passenger seat next to the driver.

          "Bad dreams?" GO asked, glancing on the backseat where the maknae had already occupied by lying down, looking sleepy.

          "Uh-huh. I can't remember the dream but I'm sure they are bad. I don't feel good when I woke up and I couldn't really have a good rest." He stretched a bit, rubbing his drooping eyes.

          Seungho and GO exchanged a glance before GO said, "Then, sleep maknae. We will woke you up when we reached home."

          But Mir didn't reply, only the soft steady breathing came after as the maknae had already fallen asleep.

          GO smiled fondly as he glanced back before facing forward again. "He really got us scared." GO commented, breaking down the silence.

          "Yea. I thought he would have at least break a bone when we found him on the road. It was quite bloody." Seungho added.

          GO shivered slightly as the image of blood covered Mir lying limp on the road under the rain came back to his mind. He was sure, he just sobbed pathetically and called Mir's name the whole night with Seungho trying to calm him down with an embrace and whispers of everything would be okay. And indeed. Everything is fine again and Mir was not as badly injured as he thought Mir would.

          "But that road looked weird." Seungho said. "It's kind of creepy. And do you remember that weird puncture wounds on Cheolyong's shoulder that the doctor told us it could be wild animal attacking him? If we were a bit later, maybe he would have been eaten up by some animal and we would never know what happened to him."

          "Gosh, I don't even want to think about it. I was too distracted to get Cheolyong to the hospital but now that you mention it… Did you see the flickering light not that far from the accident site that night? Like something was burning?"

          "Maybe someone camped there. It looks like a jungle people use for activities."

          "Huh… Maybe." GO nodded, crossing his arm. "I just want to forget. I really thought we lost him."

          Seungho gently pat on GO's shoulder. "We didn't. He is still here with us."

          "Yea. Everything is okay now."

          Their conversation was interrupted when they heard whimpers coming from Mir. They both frowned at the maknae. The maknae seemed to have a bad dream.

          "Should I wake him up?" GO asked.

          The whimpers got louder and without waiting for Seungho's answer, GO un-clicked his seatbelt and reached a hand towards the backseat, shaking Mir's shoulder.

          "Cheolyong-ah. Wake up."

          Mir woke up with a small jolt. Sitting up while rubbing the side of his head.

          "Bad dream again?"

          Mir looked up in confusion, tilting his head to the side. "Hurm… Yea I guess. Did I say something in my sleep?" His face looked a bit paler that it worried both the elders.

          "Well, you made puppy noises." Seungho commented without thinking, earning himself a soft punch on his shoulder from GO.

          "Be serious for once." GO rolled his eyes at Seungho before turning his attention to Mir. "Are you okay?"

          Mir leaned back with a heavy sigh. "I will be."

          The rest of their journey was in silence.

 

*************

 

RING! RING! RING!

The sound of the high pitch annoying classic bell of Mir's alarm caused the owner to stir in his sleep. Groaning quietly, Mir turned to his side and stretched out his arms, his hand in the air before slapping down on the alarm on the table by his bedside begrudgingly.

          He was about to go back to his much needed sleep but even after turning and tossing around, he couldn't find a comfortable position. His limbs throbbing, his back aching, his palms and soles felt like needles prickling on them.

          "Gosh… Why does everything hurts." Mir complained but still pulling himself up and out of the bed with much hardship. He went out of the room and surprised at the scent of delicious food greeting his sense of smell. Stalking along the hallway towards the living room, he saw Seungho sitting on the couch while watching the morning show and without having to go all the way to the kitchen, he was sure GO was there, cooking the breakfast. "How did you guys get in. I didn't even notice." Mir plopped down on the armchair.

          "You sleep like a log. We rang the bell a few times and since you're not answering, we figure we just invited ourselves in. You still use the same passcode."

          "Oh that. Hehe. They are special numbers." Mir grinned sheepishly.

          "It is. For all of us." Seungho nodded, glancing to Mir but his eyes fixed on the maknae's face. "Hey, wait." He pointed a finger on Mir's cheek. "What is this?" He rubbed onto Mir's cheeks, frowning when the maknae hissed in pain. "When did you get hurt?"

          "Huh?" Mir looked around, taking a look on the shiny reflective coffee table and indeed, there was a thin red line over his cheekbone just under his eyes. "What the hell? Where did I get this?" He inspect the superficial wound closely, confused.

          "Maybe you scratch your cheek in your sleep?" Seungho suggested, watching as the maknae shrugged the insignificant wound off and sat back on the couch, relaxing.

          "What do we have for today?" Mir asked after a few minutes watching the television in silence.

          "Nothing, really. Unless you have some individual schedule I don't know of."

          "I postpone everything. I need a long good rest." Mir breathed out and curled on the armchair like a kitten. "I can do that now that I'm not signed to any company."

          "You should, you know." Seungho frowned.

          Mir turned to lie on his bad, he let his long legs dangled on the side of the armchair. "Nah, I think I'm used to being free. I can do whatever I want, whenever I want."

          Seungho shook his head in disbelief. "You're just like Byunghee."

          "What about me?" GO walked out of the kitchen with a pink apron around his waist, which Mir didn't know where it came from since he was pretty sure he didn't have any apron what more a pink one.

          "I'm just saying you two are too alike." Seungho commented. "Is the breakfast ready?"

          "Of course. He's my maknae after all." GO grinned, tilted his head back towards the kitchen. "It's ready. Come, let's eat."

 

*************

 

Mir was enjoying his free time. He was addicted to this lifestyle. Not to mention his financial plan was already strong enough with him investing in a company and getting himself a good amount of share. He could have just lazed around for his whole life and let the money rolled in but his passion for singing and world of entertainment didn't let him do that.

          He still worked in MBLAQ. Although he and GO was now more like indie-celebrity while Seungho signed up as an actor at an entertainment company, they still make time to produce album although rarely. And their fans were still supporting them. It was good enough for Mir.

          But, now, he was just glad to be free from restricting schedule although sometimes he do miss those prime time when he was busy with work, and all he did was really just lazing around in the house, sometimes if he was in the mood, he would go and take a walk. The scenery was pretty in this early spring.

          It wasn't like he was really lazy or already lose a drive and passion to continue a life as a celebrity. It was just that, he kind of felt weak each time he woke up from his sleep and sometimes, his exhaustion cost him the whole day of rest. Which was weird since he slept early in the night and woke up quite late in the morning. Why would he be so lethargic? He even slept off the whole afternoon.

          He had a high suspicion it was related to his nightmare which he didn't even remember the content of. Only the bad feeling lingered once he was awake. And he was sore all over like he had just ran a marathon.

          And today, as Mir woke up again, he felt sharp pain over his back. At first he thought maybe it was his disc problem again but the pain was different. It was more like he had been beaten with baseball bat on his back.

          While groaning and complaining and with a lot of whimpers, he pulled off his shirt, glancing once at the three puncture scars in form of circles where he had been told by his doctor that they were bite marks by some kind of animal and headed to the bathroom, stumbling all the way there. Once in the bathroom, the pain compelled him to take a look on his back through the mirror, but once he did, his eyes got so large at the image reflected in the mirror.

          His back was full of bruises!

          "What the hell?" Mir exclaimed, squeezing shut his eyes and shaking his head a few times before looking back into the mirror. No changes. They were still there, the bruises. "Did I fall off the bed or something and I don't remember?" He questioned himself, hissing when he stumbled back and his waist hit the sink. "What is wrong with me?" Mir moaned at the intense pain he felt at the small impact on his already battered body.

          It was freaking him out and it took him almost half an hour to calm himself down with breathing exercise. Taking a short warm shower, he went out of the bathroom and decided to call Seungho but the older didn't answer. He opted for GO, and the second oldest was also unreachable. And then he remembered both of the older men had mentioned before that they would be busy with their musical and drama filming now that MBLAQ newest album promotion had ended.

          Mir was considering to give a call to his sister but before he could decide, his phone rang and it was a call from Thunder.

          "Hello? Hyung? What's up?" Mir tried to control the tone of his voice yet it still sounded shaky. There was a silence pause that Mir wondered if the call wasn't connected. "Hyung? Sanghyun hyung?"

          "Cheolyong? What are you doing?"

          "Huh? Nothing…"

          "Then why do you sound like this? Are you sick?"

          It was a surprise Thunder could tell it from just a call. "Not really…" Mir trailed off, wondering if he should tell the older. But he didn't want to bother Thunder much. They were still close friend, yes, but not as close as he was to Seungho or GO and Mir could not pour all of his thought without restraint.

          "Cheolyong. Where are you?"

          "Home. Why?"

          "I was just thinking to invite you out for lunch but… Do you need me to come over? Like right now?"

          "No, it's okay hyung. I'm fine." Mir quickly denied, or maybe too quickly. "But, a lunch would be nice." Mir corrected with a smile.

          "Are you sure?"

          "Yup!"

          "…Okay then. See you later."

          Mir let out a breath once the call ended, glad Thunder wasn't hurt when he turn down Thunder's offer to come by. He just didn't want the older to worry unnecessarily. Which meant, he didn't want anyone to worry.

          That was when he decided not to tell anyone.

 

*****************

 

"Okay then. See you later." Thunder disconnect the call, still was unconvinced. His frown remain as he put down the phone on the table. He only looked up when Joon sat down on the other side of the table in this small restaurant, pulling off his coat and hung it on the chair he sat on.

          "What's with the long face?" Joon asked when he glanced once at the younger, taking the menu list the waiter who approached their table offered.

          Thunder left the question hanging while they picked their breakfast and once the waiter left, then he answered, "I was on the phone with Cheolyong just now." He missed the flash in Joon's orbs.

          "Really? Did that kid piss you off somehow?" Joon put on his poker face, shrugging his shoulder and leaned back leisurely despite knowing how each time the names of any of three members of MBLAQ was mentioned, he would still be affected.

          "Not like that." Thunder's frown deepened. "He just didn't sound right."

          "What do you mean?"

          Thunder shrugged. "I don't know."

          "But you know something is wrong with him." Joon deduced.

          "I haven't seen him since the accident. I wonder if something happened."

          They sat in silence for a while before Joon was the one to speak up first. "You know, I had a friend who was in accident before."

          "And?"

          "And a week after the accident, he grew unexplained fear. The doctor said it was post-traumatic disorder."

          Thunder hooked his hand under his chin. "But Cheolyong didn't even remember what happened."

          "Maybe it was too frightening that he suppress the memory but deep down, it still affect him. It wasn't a bad accident considering his short stay in hospital but you did say his car was a total wreck."

          Now both of them carried the same worried look all over their face.

          "Well then, I have to ask him later." Thunder mumbled once their order arrived.

          Truthfully, they both lost their appetite already.