chap 10

Dream Walker

Joon was just on the phone with his bestfriend Yonghwa, talking about something insignificant, asking each other's well being and what were they up to these days since they barely see each other. It wasn't anything personal, it was just Joon to live an isolated life as he loved spending time at home more than outside, getting his alone time, indulging in the silence he loved.

          But that was only until the bell to his house rang. He cut off the call with Yonghwa and went to see the guest, surprised to see Seungho and GO waiting outside.

          "Hyungnim?" He asked politely, showing obviously the question he got on his mind.

          "We have a few questions. We won't be here for long." Seungho informed, his voice tensed and almost hurried.

          "…Sure. Come in." Joon opened the door wider, inviting with a friendly smile but GO raised his hand.

          "It's okay we won't be long."

          Joon didn't insist, he nodded and rest his side against the door frame, waiting for the two oldest MBLAQ member to finally told him their reason for suddenly showing up here.

          "It's about Cheolyong."

          Joon tensed up at that name but he didn't let it show on his face, only his crossed arm tightened around him.

          "Byunghee told me you witness what happened when Cheolyong was taken away. Can you please give me as much details as you can?" Seungho asked.

          Joon sighed. "There is nothing really. I was up there on the 9th floor when I saw Cheolyong running out of the building. Then, a black van stopped before him. The door opened and two men in suit came out and hauled him into the van. It happened too fast and I can't see the plate number."

          "Wait, surely there is CCTV around that area, right?" Seungho turned to GO.

          GO shook his head in dismay. "Police have retrieved all the recording to help with the investigation. The problem is all the recording have been tampered from the day the first murder happened."

          "The murderer knows the location of the CCTV then."

          GO nodded. "Whatever, we're not looking for the murderer, we're looking for Cheolyong."

          Joon snorted, earning both attention from Seungho and GO. "What? Isn't it obvious Cheolyong commit the murder? Even the police say so. There is even solid evidence."

          There was a flash inside Seungho's eyes and he almost launched himself onto Joon but GO held him back. He looked at Joon, the look in GO's eyes say it all. It was as if GO was looking down on him, as if he was saying 'I didn't expect much from you after all' with his eyes. And yes, he felt insulted deep inside him. "We're leaving. Thanks for the help." He said in monotone and pulled Seungho after him.

          However, Joon's pride was hurt by that simple look in GO's eyes that caused him to shout after the leaving two. "You don't believe it?"

          Seungho and GO stopped in their tract. GO turned to give the same look as he had earlier to Joon. "Don't put me in the same group as you."

          "Hah! Funny. You lied when the police asked you because you have doubt too don't you? You have doubt that maybe, just maybe, there is a chance that Cheolyong really is the murderer. That is why you covered for him."

          "I do actually." GO answered easily and looked at Seungho who was looking at him with wide eyes. "But I don't care. Whether he did all that or not, I just don't care. Sorry Seungho. I know you put hundred percent trust in Cheolyong but let me have my own way of trust on Cheolyong. I won't let anyone to make me doubt Cheolyong anymore." He gave slight glance to Joon. "Not even you."

          The corner of Seungho's lips slowly curled upwards. "It's good enough for me." Seungho admitted, relieved knowing GO would protect Mir, whatever it took. Whatever Mir did, it won't change the desire within them to protect their one and only maknae.

          "Do whatever you want!" Joon shouted in annoyance and slammed the door shut. He leaned his back onto the door and waited until he was sure both Seungho and GO had left. He slowly slid down on the floor and pulled his knees to his chest.

          Was it wrong for him to think this way? At first, he was one of the first to deny it strongly next to GO and Thunder. It was just unthinkable for Mir to be a murderer, less what turned to be an overkill and heartless murder.

          Heck, he still remember Mir crying when Joon crushed a bug under his shoes during one of MBLAQ filming once before it took him the whole evening apologizing after Thunder harassing him, accusing him of bullying Mir.

          There was just no way Mir would be able to do such horrible thing but then, when the police mentioned about the latest victim which was the one and only survivor, he remembered clearly that day when the earth was showered by heavy rain when he met Mir for the first time after four years, when Mir appeared so vulnerable and scared because of his sudden hearing loss and the man covered by blood, escorted by paramedic, pointing an accusing finger towards Mir who was hiding behind him and he saw the fear flickering inside that man's eyes when those eyes fixed on Mir.

          At first he didn't think of anything about it but when the police mentioned about that, he could hear doubt whispering darkly and his trust on the maknae wavered. After all, it had been four years since he met the younger man. He barely knew Mir now.

          Joon let his head fall back. The back of his head softly thumped against the door. He took out his phone and texted Thunder.

From Joon :

Is it wrong that I'm doubting a friend?

          It didn't take long for Thunder to reply.

From Thunder :

Is this about Cheolyong? Because, really hyung, I can't say that I don't as well. The evidence and the coincidence are too much to ignore

From Joon :

If Cheolyong really did that, what would you do?

From Thunder :

Honestly hyung. I don't know. But I have a feeling I won't be able to hand him to police. I don't know

          "Yea… Me too." Joon whispered to himself. What is right and what is wrong is so clear yet there he was, floating uncertainly between two choices. He was unable to trust Mir yet at the same time, he didn't dare to say for sure that Mir did all that. And although he was worried about Mir, he couldn't find it in himself to go and find the younger man and protect him like what Seungho and GO was doing. Was he doing the right thing by not doing anything?

          Somehow he felt what he was doing is the worst. He was so indecisive about Mir. And all he did was again… Running away. The easiest way out of sticky situation that he hated so much. Then again, since four years ago, there was nothing simple between MBLAQ and him. Everything is just so difficult and complicated.

          His phone vibrated again, signaling new incoming text.

From Thunder :

Hyung, I felt like the answer lies with Cheolyong. For as long as we don't meet him and talk to him personally, I don't think we'd be more than an outsider. A bystander just watching from sideline. That is not enough for me.

From Joon :

What are you suggesting?

          When there was no answer, Joon typed another text.

From Joon :

Thunder?

From Thunder :

I want to hear from Cheolyong himself. Let's find him, hyung.

          Joon swallowed. Yes, all this confusion might end once he heard Cheolyong's side of story. Maybe the doubt gnawing his mind would finally go away. And maybe this time, he would not run away again.

From Joon :

I'll meet you in front of Cheolyong's apartment in a half. Let's go from there.

 

********************

 

Mir swung his legs as he sat at the edge of the bed, getting more and more frustrated as the seconds passed by. He was bored. He was angry. He was confused. And damn he needed to get out of this prison.

          Mir almost shouted out all of his frustration when the locked door to his room opened slowly and Sanghyuk poked his head inside. Once their eyes met, he saw Sanghyuk carved a mischievous smile on his face. Without words, the young werewolf beckoned Mir to follow him and although Mir was kind of weirded out but he still follow. Maybe it was just an instinct of being part of werewolf. Oh wait. He is not a wolf!

          "Quickly." Sanghyuk whispered once Mir was close enough and took a hold on Mir's hand, tugging Mir out of the room and down the hallway. "Honestly, I'm bored being coped up inside as well."

          Mir's eyes brightened at Sanghyuk's words, letting himself being pulled by the younger willingly almost excitingly even. "Are we getting out of this place?"

          "Yup. But Eddy and Nara don't know so we better be quick." Sanghyuk whispered with humor, increasing his pace and Mir did the same to match the younger.

          "Hey! Aren't you going to get in trouble for this?"

          "Well, I'm a lone-wolf. I do what I want, when I want, how I want." Sanghyuk grinned and started running.

          They only paused each time before they rounded the corner to make sure they wouldn't bump into anyone and headed down the stair, avoiding using the elevator. But they didn't realize the small camera with blipping red light watching their every single step even until they were out of the building.

          "Wow…" Mir breathed out in amazement when they emerged from the back door. The outside of the building was nothing what Mir would have imagined. They were right near the cliff and the only building there standing in the middle of nowhere. They were surrounded by thick forest yet a few meters radius were cleared as the lawn and the ground were covered with short green grass and colorful flowers. Down the cliff was a raging waves against the shore and rocks. "Where are we?"

          Sanghyuk smiled. "Somewhere in Jeju. But this is a private land. A reserved forest."

          "J-Jeju?!" Mir squeaked. That was damn far from his home. "H-how…"

          "How what?"

          "How do I get back to my home?"

          "Why? It's nice here."

          Mir's lowered his gaze sadly. "But this is not my home."

          Sanghyuk stared at Mir curiously. He had never had family, never have a home, in fact, wherever the place he stayed the night would be his home. He never had any attachment to something. Not even this place that had turned him into a werewolves and recruit him for the oncoming war against vampire.

          "Will you help me?" Mir asked hopefully, his eyes wide in anticipation.

          "Well…" Sanghyuk trailed off with a heavy sigh. "You should probably hold onto this." He said and took off his shirt and jeans, leaving him only in his, again, flowery shorts.

          "Why are you stripping?" Mir asked incredulously.

          "We are way deep in the forest and from what I heard, you can't change yet, so, I will be your ride." Sanghyuk lowered himself on the ground, leaning on his knees and palms and he turned into his gray wolf form.

          "What? Wait!" Mir didn't manage to continued as the now wolf-Sanghyuk stared at him patiently. "Are you going to carry me?" The wolf nodded. "But I'm heavy." Mir hesitated, inching slowly at waiting wolf-Sanghyuk. "I warned you, I'm really heavy." Mir repeated, slowly climbing on wolf-Sanghyuk back. Once he was up, the wolf-Sanghyuk howled and Mir got the message as he rounded his arms around wolf's neck. In a seconds, Mir felt them slicing the wind. He whimpered, closing shut his eyes in fear of the new found speed by riding a werewolf.

          It was not long, maybe about 15 minutes of speed-light ride until they emerged from the forest and the wolf's paws stepped onto the tar road.

          Mir climbed of the wolf and staggered on his legs. His knees weakened and he ended up flopped down onto the road, with pale face and looked like he was about to get sick.

          "Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Are you going to throw up?" Sanghyuk whom had turned back now crouching beside Mir and rubbed onto Mir's back. "Please don't or else I'll get sick to. I just can't when people vomit in front of me."

          Mir stared at Sanghyuk with a blank, almost drunk look. "That was such a ride." He grinned, his body swayed from side to side before collapsing and sat on the road.

          Sanghyuk laughed. "You're drunk on ride or something."

          Mir groaned, sitting up and tossed Sanghyuk's clothes back to the owner. "That was too fast. It felt like riding roller coaster."

          "Well, I'd like to think I'm a bit faster than a roller coaster- Hey! Where are you going?" Sanghyuk hopped as his shirt was half done and one of his legs stuck on the jeans he was wearing when he saw Mir moving away.

          "There's a car." Mir said, raising his hand to get a hitchhike.

          It was rather an old red truck instead of a car but it still stopped, and the driver seat was filled with three men. One of them, the driver, a man in his 50's smiled down at Mir, taking off his straw hat.

          "Hello."

          "Hi… I'm Mir and this is my friend, Hyuk." Mir introduced, ignoring Sanghyuk's wide grin at the affectionate way Mir was saying his name. "We're wondering if we can get a ride to the closest city?"

          "Well, you can but…" The man trailed off as he looked at his two sons occupying the seats beside him. "Do you mind sitting at the back?"

          "Not at all." Mir piped up.

          "Well, then, hop on. Hongbin. Jaehwan. Go and help these boys."

          The two young men nodded with a friendly smile and climbed off the truck and led Mir and Sanghyuk to the back. The one namely Jaehwan hopped up on the trunk and started to push aside harvested corn to make a space.

          "Sorry, it's kind of messy here." Hongbin offered a hand to Sanghyuk once he was up on the trunk while Jaehwan to Mir.

          Sanghyuk smirked and jumped onto the trunk effortlessly. Once he was up, he took Hongbin's stretched out hand in a handshake. "Thanks for the thought." He grinned.

          Mir rolled his eyes at the cocky smile on Sanghyuk's lips and turned to Jaehwan, taking Jaehwan's hand and it kind of surprised Mir that the thin guy was quite strong as he pulled Mir up as if Mir weighed nothing.

          "What's with that look?" Jaehwan chuckled, using his index finger to push Mir's dropping jaw shut.

          Mir laughed embarrassedly. "You're quite strong."

          "Well, I get that a lot. I'm Ken by the way."

          "I heard he called you Jaehwan though?"

          "I'll go with Ken." Ken laughed and jumped down the trunk at the same time with Hongbin. "We'll stop at Hanrim." And both of them went back to the front of the truck.

          "Can we eat the corn?" Sanghyuk asked once the truck started to move down the road.

          Mir shot Sanghyuk a strange look. "I thought wolves are carnivores."

          "Hey, I'm a werewolf. I ate veges. Why do you think I'm this tall?"

          Mir shrugged and sat down, leaning his back on the side of the truck. He didn't moved away when Sanghyuk flopped down by his side and he felt Sanghyuk's head leaning against his shoulder.

          "I don't have anything on me. How do we get to Seoul?" Mir whispered, looking up at the streak of amber on the sky as the sun was setting down.

          "I got some money." Sanghyuk said sleepily.

          "What about phone?"

          Sanghyuk shook his head.

          Mir sighed. None of them had plan and they were basically went off aimlessly but Mir felt he was doing the right thing escaping that place. Well, he could always borrow a phone from one of the men at the front of the truck and contact one of his hyungs. Then, he would figure it out.

          Relaxing against the truck, Mir let his droopy eyes fall to a complete shut as the movement of the truck sway both him and Sanghyuk into a dreamland.

 

Ken from vixx

Hongbin from vixx