chap 1

Dream Walker

Driving across the country starting to bore Mir a bit. He turned up the volume of the car radio and flipped through the station until he found a song sung by, oh well, he didn't remember the rookie group name. There were too many new boy and girl idol group kept on emerging he couldn't seem to keep up with it.

          His head bobbed to the rhythm, inertly praising the song composition that suit the spring season and somehow gave him more color to the dullness of his journey.

          The only time he turned down the volume again was when MBLAQ new song started to play. It was his ringtone. He took the phone and glanced down only for a second but immediately regret it. The moment his eyes were back on the road, he gasped seeing a cat sitting in the middle of the road, the feline eyes reflecting the headlight from the car. He snapped his wheel around and his soles pushing hard onto the brake.

          The tires skidded on the road, emitting loud frequency of frictional sound that hurt Mir's ears but that didn't matter as he held tightly onto the steering wheel and squeezed shut his eyes in fear. His fear slowly left him once he felt the car stopped without damage.

          But he was still very much stunned as he slowly opening his eyes, thinking that maybe he was dead already but sighed in relief as he saw that he was indeed still alive. The phone was still ringing and he went out to check for the cat but found nothing. Maybe the cat had ran away. Well, at least he knew he didn't kill a cat or Thunder would have kill him in turn if that older man know.

          The phone ringtone was starting to bug him and Mir answered the call, knowing it was from Seungho.

          "Hello? Cheolyong-ah? What took you so long to answer?"

          Mir chuckled at the obvious concern in Seungho's voice. "Sorry hyung. I was driving."

          "You could have use the earpiece." Seungho mumbled. "But you're still not home yet? It's already 10 in the night maknae. Did you drive that slow?"

          "Oh, hyung. You know I drive like lunatic. But the usual road I always took to Jansung got blocked by a landfill. I have to take a detour. And it is starting to drizzle a bit." Mir complained when he felt fine drop of rain plopping on his cheek.

          "Detour? Is the road safe? Cheolyong, you should have just turn back and cancel the trip. It would have been better. It's already late at night and you're still on the road. ALONE! And you're on the road you aren't used to. Your mom is going to have me in for a long lectures if she knew-"

          Mir rolled his eyes as he was half-listening to Seungho's nagging, which had been happening more often these days and head back to his car but he stopped halfway when he heard sound of rustling near the bushes by the roadside. He narrowed his eyes, watching the moving shadow of the bushes under the moonlight. It was too dark. Not even a lamp post available here only the florescent full moon other than his car headlight that illuminate the area a bit. The road was narrow and seemed so old and so quiet now that Mir realized, except sound of leaves rustling, night breeze and crickets combined. Which kind of cause an uneasiness in the pit of Mir's stomach.

          "Wait hyung." Mir interrupted Seungho's long lecture. "Can I call you back?" Mir ended the phone without listening to Seungho's response and focused all of his senses on the moving bushes. Subtle but he was sure it moved. "Kitty?" Mir called, just in case it was the cat that he almost hit before. "Come here, kitty. Chu chu chu." Mir made a few noises and finally saw some shadow moving out from behind the bushes.

          However, the shadow just getting larger and larger, standing taller than Mir and Mir found a pair of red orbs under the glint of moonlight staring back at him.

          "Oh ." Mir cursed and swallowed loudly as he heard sound of low threatening growl. Throwing himself into the car, he pulled close the car door just in time as the large beast pounded on the car with a wolf-like howl. "! ! !" Mir kept cursing while the beast rocked the car, trying to get to Mir. He almost scream when he got a better look at the beast. It almost look like a half wolf, half human. "What the ?" Mir slipped onto the driver seat, glad he didn't turn off the car engine and stepped on the gas. The car almost jump to a start and growled as loud as the beast, gliding down the road with a fast speed. "OH! COME ON!" Mir complained loudly when he realized the human size beast got a grab on the side of the car, clinging on it and scratching on the window with it sharp dirty claws. "What the is this beast?"

          Mir make a sharp turn, no longer care where he was heading. If he was lost, he would think about it later, Now, he was literally in a cliché horror movie with a beast chasing after him while he was stranded at nowhere.

          At the sudden sharp turn, the beast was thrown aside and finally Mir stepped on with full speed, heading anywhere as long as he was far from the beast. That was when he reached a dead end. "Really now? Seriously?" Looking around in fear, Mir refused to get out of the car in case the beast was still following him. "I should have listened to Seungho hyung." Mir sniffed. "This is a nightmare." He even considered that maybe he actually did involved in an accident and was dead and now, this was the hereafter world. A hell. Why? He was a nice guy. Why would he be in hell? His forehead thumped onto the steering wheel and he sobbed there for a while. But that was until he heard a distinct sound of people talking.

          Mir sat up straight, eyes wondered wildly and only then he noticed there was actually a building a few meters down the dead end. But car couldn't enter. He must walk.

          Mir inhaled deeply, gathering his courage. Looking around, he got out of the car slowly and glad that he saw a man walking out of the building but his happiness stayed short when he realized that that man was in fact running in panic rush instead of walking and he was shouting some gibberish which Mir just caught a few words like "Escaped", "Explode", "Gas leak", "Experiment". And that guy looked damn scared.

          Mir wasn't able to react as he stood still silently by the side of the car, only inhaled a sharp breath when he felt something breezed past him and in a matter of time, he saw the man who was running out of the building was pounced by the man-size beast he left behind before and it was bloody in matter of second. The man was gutted out by the beast who was enjoying the human flesh and blood.

          "Oh no…" Mir whispered, his knees weakened and he slid down onto the ground, hugging his knees and hide his face into his knees. "No. No. No. This is a lie. This is just a dream." Mir gasp as he smell strong scent of blood and warm stinky breath reaching closer. "No..." Mir's voice cracked and he curled into himself even more, scared to his end of wits knowing the beast was now just next to him and he would receive the same fate as the decapitated corpse.

          Mir trembled when he felt hot wet rough prickly tongue the side of his neck and the beast growled close to his ears before it roared loudly and Mir felt a set of sharp teeth digging into his left shoulder. It was painful and he felt his blood leaking out of the bite site but no, he wasn't shred into pieces right away, but he heard sound of gunshot and he felt the beast became quite and the teeth in his flesh moved away.

          Confused but still scared, Mir slowly uncurled, surprised to see the beast lying limp beside him and with further inspection, he saw that the beast was no longer breathing with a few holes on his chest, blood pouring out and a few minutes later, he heard the bone inside the beast flesh cracking, snapping and moving and the beast was transforming into a.. Into a human?

          Mir gasped and crawled closer to the beast. It was a human indeed. A man with army cut short black hair and tanned ashen skin, dead. "What the hell is happening?" Mir asked, feeling his head throbbing and his vision blurring.

          Suddenly a high pitch static sound stabbed Mir's hearing. Even the window of the car cracked before shattering into pieces. Wincing, Mir tried to cover his ears yet the sound was too loud and Mir felt blood coming out of his ears and a pungent smell now polluted Mir's nose seeping deep into his blood. He felt right then, something changed. Something changed in him. And he was scared about it. However, he didn't manage to react when his body slackened down as if the smell had been a poison to him and Mir felt his vision darkened and strength slowly left him.

          The last thing he saw was the building exploded, bright orange fire contradicting the dark night sky and two pair of army boots stepping into his line of sight.