Chapter Four - Memories: The Most Fragile of Things

The Remembered & The Forgotten (A BTS Fanfiction)

Once upon a time, a girl and boy fell in love.

And their love was one of the strongest.

But the boy lost his memory,

And he forgot who his true love was.

~~~~~~

Lee Haein's POV

I met Jungkook in my first year of high school.

I was new, just moved into the area, knowing nothing about anyone. I moved a lot when I was young. My parents' jobs sent them all over and I was just glad they didn't send us across the world. It was hard enough trying to not get attached to one place, imagine trying to let go of a whole country. Anyways, my parents had promised me that we'd stay in Busan until I graduated. I was extremely grateful as I would've hated leaving in the middle of say, my last year in high school. We arrived in the late months of summer so I was just in time to start school at the regular time school started. At first, that had made me worry less about school, but when I entered the front doors on the first day my heart beat accelerated. I was new, I had nobody to hang out with. The worst thing was that I couldn't even find my class. That's how Jungkook found me.

There I was, looking like a lost child, when I just so happened to bump into a dashing young boy. We crashed into each other (I guess we do that a lot). He helped me up and l apologized way too many times to count even though Jungkook insisted it wasn't my fault. 

"What are you even doing in the halls at this time anyway? Class started almost an hour ago?" He'd asked me.

I chuckled, embarrassed and said, "I can't find my class."

"You new?"

I nodded sheepishly. Jungkook just smiled.

"I'll help you. Let me see your schedule."

I passed him the paper and his eyes widened in surprise.

"What is it?" I asked confused.

"No way! You're in the same class as I am!" he exclaimed. "You can follow me then, I was just heading there."

I nodded again and followed the boy down the halls of the school.

"I'm Jungkook by the way," he stated out of the blue.

He stuck out his hand in front of me. I stared at it for awhile. I thought about all the friends I'd made and how they'd forgotten me so easily after I moved. I didn't want that to happen here. But then again, I was going to be at the school longer than a month, meaning I had more than enough time to form stronger bonds than before. With that thought, I sent the boy a smile. I grabbed hold of his hand and shook it.

"I'm Haein."

And that's how it all started. Jungkook introduced me to his friends, one of them being Soojin. They were all so kind and for once I felt okay to sink into the welcoming feeling that was hanging in the air and not worry about how I'd have to say good bye once the year was over. Soojin became my best friend in literally two days. She told me it was because she only hung out with boys and all the other girls were crazy(though she said a much more colourful word. Or maybe three). Whatever the reason though, I was glad it was me who became her best friend. And I was glad she was the one who became mine. Without her, I don't know how I would've made it through life anymore. Along with becoming close with Soojin, I continued to get close to Jungkook. He became my second best friend. By the time we reached halfway through the year, I had developed feelings for the boy. Soojin told me to just go for it, that she was sure he liked me back. I wasn't too sure but decided that it's whatever. If he doesn't like me, then he doesn't like me. I mean, I was fifteen, he wouldn't be the only guy I liked in the whole world. Being the cliche person I am, I decided I would tell the boy on Valentine's Day. With my small amount of allowance, I bought a box of chocolates Jungkook adored and headed to school with a bright smile plastered on my face.

"So, you gonna do it or what?" Soojin asked me when the end-of-the-day-bell rang.

"Yeah, I'm asking right after this."

"Okay, good luck!"

I thanked her as I hurried out to the field at the back of the school. When I got there, I saw Jungkook pacing around in a small circle. I ran up to him and smiled.

"Hey."

"Hey," he said softly. "You said you wanted to talk to me which is perfect 'cause I wanted to talk to you too."

"Really?" I asked.

"Really, but you go first, since you asked first."

"O-okay," I stuttered.

I breathed in and out before pulling out the chocolates from behind my back.

"I like you Jungkook. I know it's been only a short while but I've come to really like you. And by like I mean in a 'more than friends' kind of way." I shoved forward the chocolates. "I, uh, I got these for you too."

Jungkook took them willingly but didn't say anything. We stood there silently before Jungkook started chuckling slightly. I looked at him confused.

"What? I mean, yeah, receiving chocolates from a girl who just confessed to you might be kinda embarrassing but I don't think it's funny."

"No! It's not that!" Jungkook exclaimed, waving his hands in front of me. "I just am amused with the situation."

Jungkook sent me a giant smile. 

"I like you too."

"Y-you what?" I stuttered.

"I like you too. That's actually what I wanted to tell you but I guess you beat me to it." He pulled out a bouquet of lollipops. "I know you enjoy candy so I thought instead of getting a bouquet of flowers, I'd get one of candy."

He was blushing profusely and I couldn't help but laugh.

"So, what are we now then?" I asked.

"We can be whatever we wanna be. But, I think I'd like it if you'd be my girlfriend."

"Hm, I think I'd like it if I were your girlfriend too. Only if you'll be my boyfriend though," I told the boy with a smirk.

"Of course!" 

That was probably one of the best days of my life. We told our friends the next day. Soojin exclaimed that she always knew we were meant to be and the others congratulated us. Jungkook was my first and last boyfriend. I know, I was a loser but you've got to understand, I wasn't the girl you know? I was the one who got boys trying to get me to get my friends' phone numbers for them. I was the support after a break up though I'd never experienced one myself. Heck, I don't even think anybody ever had a crush on me, ever. I had never been the receiver of feelings from someone else. So being with Jungkook was something else. Not only was it the first time some had liked me but it was the best time. I treasured our relationship so much.

When we finally decided to introduce each other to our parents, I was crazy nervous. Firstly, I was nervous that my dad would kill Jungkook and then embarrass me to the ends of the world. Then, I was nervous that Jungkook's parents wouldn't like me. Jungkook assured me that my parents wouldn't kill him and that his would love me but I still felt on edge. My parents, like Jungkook said, were super cool with it. My father did threaten him a little and scared the living daylights out of him, but other than that all was well. My mother fell in love with him instantly and invited to dinner for like, the whole month. From the great response from my parents, I just assumed that Jungkook's parents would be the same.

They weren't. 

It wasn't that they blatantly told me they didn't like me, I could just see it. They way they looked me over, the questions they asked. I was pretty positive they didn't want me in their son's life for at all. Jungkook didn't think much of it, saying they just needed some time to warm up. So I let it go and we went on from there.

 

~~~~~~~

 

Jungkook and I never really had any fights throughout our relationship until it was our last year in high school. We both decided to apply to Seoul National University of Artistic and Academic Studies. That was when the mayhem began.

I quickly grabbed all my things from my locker and dashed off to meet up with Jungkook to head home. I turned the corner and saw Jungkook. I was about to shout out his name when I noticed his parents there. I stopped my movements and watched the scenario play out from a far.

"What is this I hear about you applying for some arts school?" His mother asked viciously.

"It is what you think it is. I applied for an arts school. End of story," Jungkook replied sarcastically.

"This isn't a joke Jungkook. This is your future we're talking about."

"Really? I didn't know."

"Don't be disrespectful to your mother. We are trying to do what's best for you," his father interjected.

Jungkook scoffed. He glanced at his watch and then at his parents.

"Are you done, 'cause I'm meeting someone and I'm going to be late."

"You're meeting that Haein aren't you?" His mom started. "It's her isn't it? She's the one making you think all these ways? She's corrupting your mind!"

"Mom seriously? Haein isn't the only reason I want to pursue a career in the arts," Jungkook quickly defended.

"Listen to him, he actually thinks drawing and taking pictures is a career."

 "Jungkook, son, we want what's best for you and this girl clearly isn't helping you see that," his father said.

"And to top that off she isn't even rich. How will you go places in life if the person you're with isn't on the same level as you? Break up with her already. She's only weighing you down."

"That's enough!" Jungkook shouted. "I don't need to listen to any of this. I have to go so I'll see you at home."

With that, Jungkook took off, leaving his parents standing there, dumbfounded and angry. I walked away from the scene. His mother's words were ringing in my ears. Was I really weighing Jungkook down? 

I met Jungkook at the front. Right when he saw me, his lips curled into a smile. He came over and pulled me into a tight hug.

"You ready to go?" He asked as we pull apart.

I nodded, all previous thoughts fluttering away.

They came back though. As the days went on, I kept thinking about it. About whether I really was hindering Jungkook from doing something more with his life. I even asked him about it one time but he assured me that I wasn't. He wanted to go to an arts school because that's what he loved. We dropped the topic.

One day, as I was exiting my house, an unfamiliar car pulled up in our parking lot. Out stepped the one and only, Mrs. Jeon. I slowed down as she approached me. I bowed slightly and the woman scoffed.

"Don't try to be respectful now," the woman exclaimed. "I know what you are. A witch who's spelled my son into some weird state where he believes he should be a painter instead if a business man or a doctor, something tangible."

I wanted to laugh because, Jungkook actually wanted to go into photography, not visual arts but it wasn't the time.

"I want you to break up with him."

I looked at the woman with wide eyes. "You what?"

"You heard me," she said snarkily. "You are going to break up with him whether you like it or not. You're ruining his life. He can't see it but I can and I'm going to stop it."

"No," I said firmly.

"Excuse me?"

"I'm not breaking up with him."

Mrs. Jeon laughed. "Do you think you and him are going to last longer than this? Jungkook is quite a beautiful man and you... well, I'm sure you've looked in a mirror."

My jaw dropped.

"Either way, Jungkook will probably leave you in a second once starting university. And, he won't be going to that artistic place of trash anyway, so you won't be seeing him. Just make life easier for everyone and do what's right."

She walked away and hopped back into her car, zooming away until I could no longer see her taillights. Do what's right? Breaking up with Jungkook was what's right? I didn't think so, but her words were oddly convincing. I hated how I was causing all this drama for him and his family, even though it wasn't fully me. I couldn't let him let a girl get in between him and his family. 

~~~~~~~~~

"Let's break up."

"What?"

Jungkook stood in the living room of my house, an astonished look plastered on his face.

"What did you just say?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat and repeated, "let's break up."

"Why? Why Haein? Why do you want to break up?" He questioned furiously.

"I don't want talk about it okay. It's a personal thing."

"Don't lie to me!" He exclaimed. "I know you! I know you Haein! You always have a reason, for everything."

"Well, maybe I don't this time," I fired back.

He ran his hands along his face in frustration. He walked up to me and tried to hold my hand but I ripped it away.

"Haein." His voice was quite. He spoke so desperately that I almost broke.

"I think you should go."

"No, no, I'm not leaving."

"Jungkook go!" I shouted.

"I love you!"

It all went silent as the words Jungkook shouted resonated throughout the room. The two of us had never really said those three words to each other yet. We tended to steer away from using them and provided acceptable substitutes for the words. We'd say it as a joke but it never held much meaning. But there, right in that moment, I felt it all. The raw emotion attached to the three words. The way it pulled on my heartstrings. It caused tears to run down my faces. It didn't even take me two seconds to answer back.

"I love you too."

And then silence again. Jungkook looked at me with the most innocent of eyes. They were shimmering, tears forming at the corners. I was going crazy. This was not how it was supposed to go.

"Then why?" Jungkook asked softly. "If you love me, why are you leaving me?"

"Because I'm ruining you. I'm weighing you down, I'm not letting you live up to your potential and it's killing me. I hate myself for it," I muttered.

Jungkook stared at me long and hard before his eyes widened. It was like all the puzzle pieces suddenly fell together right at that moment.

"My mother spoke to you didn't she?"

I stayed silent, unable to speak.

"She did, didn't she?" he asked again with more aggression.

I stayed silent once more because, there really was no way I could lie to Jungkook. Satisfied with my answer, he grabbed his keys and rushed towards the door.

"Jungkook!" I called. 

He didn't stop.

"Jungkook!"

Turning, he strode toward me and held my face in his hands. He planted a soft kiss on my forehead before muttering, "I know this isn't what you want love, so it's not going to happen. I'll be back soon, I promise."

And then he was out the door. 

I waited for him. I called and texted, then called and texted again but got no answer. I almost fell asleep when my phone rang. Jungkook's caller ID appeared and I instantly accepted it.

"Hello? Jungkook?"

A different voice answers. 

"Hello? I'm sorry miss but this isn't Jungkook speaking. I'm a nurse at Busan Hospital."

"Oh my gosh! What happened? Is he okay?"

"I'm afraid Jungkook is not. He was involved a car crash and was rushed to the hospital. I was told to contact his family and you were on the list. I've already contacted his parents."

"Okay, I'll be on my way, thank you."

I hung up and called my parents.

"Hey honey, what's up?" My mom answered.

"Mom, I know you're busy but I really need you or dad to drive me to the hospital. Jungkook got into a car accident."

My mom immediately responded, saying both dad and her would be there to drive me in no time. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We rushed into the hospital and I ran up to the information desk. 

"Excuse me, do you happen to know where a patient named Jeon Jungkook is?" I asked out of breath.

"Yes, he just finished his surgery and is currently residing in room 454 on the third floor."

I thanked the woman and hurry off to the elevators, my parents trailing behind. 

When we got to the third floor, I scanned every door number until I found his. In front of the door stood Jungkook's parents and a doctor.

"The surgery went well," the doctor said to which we all released a relieved sigh.

"But, he had some major damage to his brain and has fallen into a coma. We don't know when he'll wake up or if he'll wake up at all."

The doctor listed off some more things about his accident and the surgery but my mind already blanked out after hearing the word coma.

Jungkook was in a coma.

As the doctor left, Jungkook's parents turned and finally noticed my presence. Jungkook's mom reacted first. She walked right up to me and slapped me across the face. I didn't even react, just took it, face tilting towards the ground.

"You! You're the reason my baby is in there! You're the reason my baby is in a coma!" She raised her hand again. "You evil bit-" 

But before she could lay a hand on me, my mother stepped in and pushed the woman back. 

"Don't you dare touch my daughter. If you even try to lay your hands on her again I wil make sure to kick your all the way up to that ugly. fricken donkey looking face of yours!" my mom exclaimed.

Dad pulled her away from the other woman because we both knew what she could do when she was mad. Mr. Jeon stared at us disgustedly.

"Learn to control your wife."

My dad snorted in response and said, "My wife is not a dog. I don't need to control her. And plus, the only dog that needs to be controlled at this moment would be the lovely lady across from me."

He pointed to Mrs. Jeon casing both of Jungkook's parents to gasp. If this were in any other circumstance, I would've laughed, but even the slightest bit of happiness had slipped away from me the moment I got the phone call.

"Can I.. Can I just see him?" I asked softly. 

"No! You're going to just kill him even more!" Mrs. Jeon shouted. 

Mr. Jeon took on look at me, in all my brokenness and his eyes softened. He nodded a yes and pulled his wife away from the scene. I took a deep breath and entered the room. I choked up as I saw him, laying there lifelessly. His face was bruised and scratched. His hands laid still at his sides and his eyes were silently closed. I took a seat beside him and held his hand in mine. I couldn't even say anything. I just rested my head on his chest and cried.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

We waited for days. Then those days turned into weeks, and then into months. Finally, after three months he woke up. I got the news while I was in school and rushed over right as the final bell rang. I ran into his room only to see his parents holding somber faces.

"What's wrong?" I asked. "Jungkook?"

He glanced up as his name was called but as I stared into his eyes, I noticed something different.

"Who are you?" He asked.

My heart skipped a beat. 

"I'm Haein, your girlfriend," I said.

"Really? I had a girlfriend?" He asked the doctor checking up on him. 

The doctor just nodded and then ushered us out of his room.

"As seen, Jungkook has lost his memory. This is common for many patients after awakening from a coma. It'll take awhile before he starts remembering anything but he will in time."

Jungkook did start remembering people in his life. He remembered his parents first, then his friends, and school but he didn't remember me. I tried to get him to. I told him of things we did—when we first met, when we became boyfriend and girlfriend—but nothing helped. As time went on, he remembered basically everyone except for me. I asked the doctor about it but she wasn't much help. All she said was that if we force him to try and remember everything, it could cause extra damage to his brain.

It had been a full four months of waiting patiently for him to remember me, but it never happened. School was about to start again. I was accepted in to Seoul National University of Artistic and Academic Studies along with Soojin. We were going to be leaving Busan in a week and I finally decided to let it go. To let him go. It was my fault anyway, I had concluded. If I didn't listen to his mother and didn't try to break up with him, he would've never left my house that day. He wouldn't have gotten into the crash and he wouldn't have fallen into a coma. It was better for me to be out of his life. 

I left, and I tried and tried to forget him. For a time, I really thought I did.

The funny thing is, the thing you try to forget most always finds a way to appear back into your memory.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N

So hey y'all! I know it's been soo long but I fianlly finished and posted!!

Now we know the whole dealio! Pretty interesting ain't it?

Lol, I'm sorry if it actually . I actually really enjoyed writing this chapter though.

So, who do you feel bad for now, Jungkook or Haein? Do you think it was Haein's fault or nah? Let me know in the comments.

Also, 

J-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Hixtape salyed my wole entire life!!!! Daydream is such a bop and the rest of the album is fire! I encourage you all, if you haven't listened to it yet, you better get onto it.

One more thing. Anybody else feel attacked by all of NCT or am I the only one? Like damn, they glowed up big time and Kun, Jungwoo, and Lucas be killing me!

Anyway, see y'all next time, Bye!

-TallProud

(Edited Kinda)