Chapter Ten - Love's a Strange Thing

The Remembered & The Forgotten (A BTS Fanfiction)

Lee Haein's POV

Class ends and I release a sigh. It was my last class of the semester before exams and I felt amazing. After our day out to the arcade, a whole pile of stress disappeared and I was able to finally really focus on studying and finishing my assignments. As I leave the Arts Building, I see a familiar figure leaning against the wall waving to a group of giggling girls.

"Jimin?"

The boy looks up and smiles at me. "Hey."

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"I was passing by, signing some autographs and thought I'd wait for you," he says, grinning.

"How'd you know when my class ends?" I lower my voice jokingly and stare Jimin dead in the eyes. "You're not.... Stalking me are you?"

Jimin barks out a laugh. "Like I would stalk you! You're a loser, and I wouldn't stalk losers."

I gasp and slap the boy's arm. "Rude!"

"You say that a lot you know?"

"Well, you happen to be rude a lot you know?"

Jimin chuckles and finger-combs his hair before speaking again. "So, I did actually come here with a purpose."

"I'm glad you've finally admitted that. Now, what is this purpose you speak of?" I question.

"I was wondering if you'd like to go out to dinner with me tonight?"

At first, I don't think I even heard what he said. It takes me awhile before I realize what he's asked me. "Like on a date?" I blurt.

"Well, no.. uh, maybe.." Jimin trails off.

"I dunno if I can Jimin, I, uh, I have to study."

"I know! But it's just for tonight! Plus, I'd like to catch up," Jimin quickly explains.

"We kinda already did that at the arcade," I tell him.

"Well yeah, but it was with Soojin and Minjoon. I wanted to spend some time with just you."

I don't answer, my heart palpitating. He wants to spend time? With just me? On a date? Me? On a date? With Park Jimin? This is too crazy! I don't want to go on a date with Jimin! Or maybe I do? Wait, what? I take a deep breath, trying my best to keep my emotions calm and at bay. I look up at Jimin only to see his eyes drooping in the cutest of ways. Or, you know, as cute as your best friend's eyes can droop.

"Oh come on! Please?" Jimin begs. "It doesn't even have to be a date! Just the two of us hanging out."

The more I think about it, the more it doesn't seem like a bad idea. I mean, we're just gonna go as friends, nothing's wrong with that.

"Alright Jimin. I'll go to dinner with you."

"Really?"

I nod and he smiles. "Great. I'll pick you up at eight."

"See ya then," I say. As we part, a giddy feeling overcomes me and I place my hands over my cheeks, feeling them heating up like the sun. I clutch my bag straps tightly and speed walk my way home, way too excited for my own good.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

I arrive home, slamming the door shut and flinging my bag to the side without a care as I rush to my room. My bag lands with a loud crash causing Soojin to stick her head out of the kitchen doorway. She sends me a confused look. "What's up with you?"

"I have a...." I don't finish the sentence. Is it a date or is it not? "I'm going out with Jimin tonight."

"Like on a date?" Soojin exclaims.

"Um, I guess," I mutter as I hurry to my closet.

"What do you mean I guess so?"

"Well, it's not officially a date or anything. We're going to dinner as friends to catch up and stuff."

I pull out an outfit and stare it down. No, this is too boring. I chuck that one behind me and search for another. Uh-uh, too flashy. I think I threw out least ten pairs of pants, shirts, and dresses from my closet before Soojin stops me.

"Hold up girl!"

I turn around and see my best friend, covered in a pile of clothes. I giggle and help pull them off her before we take a seat together on my bed.

"Okay, let me get this straight. You and Jimin are going to dinner but, it's not a date?" She asks and I nod. "Do you want it to be a date?"

My eyes widen and I stare at her like a deer caught in headlights. "What?"

"I said, do you want it to be a date?"

At first, I want to tell her of course I don't. Jimin is a really good friend and I couldn't possibly like him that way. But then, even as I say the words to myself, I know that I'm lying to myself. I don't love the boy that way but I'd be lying if I said I haven't felt anything toward him recently.

"I dunno," I answer truthfully. We sit in silence, neither of us speaking a word.

"You know Haein, you can move on."

"What?" I ask softly.

She sits us up and places her hands on my shoulders, forcing me to face her. 

"Look, I know that somewhere deep down in your soul, you feel obligated to stay loyal to Jungkook somehow and I just want you to know you don't have to do that at all."

"What?" I say again, confused beyond my mind.

"Haein, you loved Jungkook very much. You cared about him with all your heart and maybe you'll never stop, but you have to move on. Jungkook lost his memory and hasn't remembered you in three years. He's dating another girl and living out his life. He's moved on—"

"He's forgotten!" I shout suddenly. 

Soojin just shakes her head and smiles sadly. "Haein, he's moved on. Whether he's forgotten or not, he's moved on. You can too. You don't have to continue to sit and wait as though his memory is going to come back. You are not obligated to do anything for him. You can move on from him and it doesn't even have to be through a boyfriend. Sometimes, you care too much. I just want you to know, you can do this. No one will hate you for letting him go."

I wanna yell at her, tell her that she's mad. I want to scream and argue, saying that Jungkook's just forgotten, he hasn't moved on from me. I want to tell her that I know somewhere deep down, he still loves me too, but I can't. I know she's right. 

"I don't know how," I admit solemnly.

"For starters, you can consider this outing an opportunity to find out how," Soojin suggests.

"Okay," I breathe out.

"Okay."

"Maybe okay can be our always," I say with a grin.

Soojin hits me in the arm and laughs. "Let's pick out an outfit for ya so you can look stellar."

"Alrighty-o! Lead the way, fashion designer Ahn."

We giggle and begin sorting through the outfits I had thrown out of the closet. The thought of moving on from Jungkook made me nervous but it was something I wanted to do for awhile I just never really knew how. What Soojin said was spot on and I knew I'd have to let the boy go or I'd be stuck back in time while everyone else moves on with their lives. Tonight, I'm gonna enjoy myself and not feel guilty for feelings of the past. Tonight, I was gonna be free.

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

Third Person POV

Taehyung sat across Hae-In, head in his hands as he listened to her rant. 

"And I can't believe he would blow me off like this! I mean, yeah, exams are coming up soon but we always have a pre-exam date! Even when he didn't go here."

Taehyung nods. "That's horrible."

"I know! And to make things worse, all these people are showing up! Can you believe it? Why did Haein and Jimin decide to reappear now?" The girl mutters.

"Haein did go here before Jungkook and Jimin's been living in Seoul for over four years. It's not really like they suddenly decided to show up," Taehyung says nonchalantly.

"Are you siding with them?" Hae-In questions seriously.

"Of course not!" Tae exclaims. "I was just saying..."

"I guess you're right. It's just so annoying though," Hae-In states.

"Super annoying," Taehyung adds.

"Are you mocking me?"

Taehyung laughs and sits up. "You ask so many questions Hae Bae."

Hae-in reaches across the table and smacks the boy on the head. "I told you not to call me that."

"But it's cute!" Taehyung whines, a pout forming on his lips.

Hae-In giggles and pats his head this time. "Of course it's cute, I'm cute. But, it's weird to hear you call me that when you're my best guy friend."

You are cute though, Taehyung wishes he could say but can't. He's just he best guy friend anyway and that'll never change. She loves Jungkook and Jungkook loves her. I'm just the third-wheel. Hae-In continues to rant on about school and life while Taehyung listens intently, giving her his full attention. He loved to watch her talk, especially when she got mad (well, not when she was mad at him). She would always scrunch up her nose in the cutest way and her eyes would grow small, making her appear to be a little monster filled with rage. Her words, whether good or bad, entrapped Taehyung in a spell, causing him to never want to stop listening to her.

She was beautiful. She was perfect. She just wasn't his.

On days like these, Tae hated love the most. Why did he have to love her? Why did she have to love him? Taehyung believed love was unfair and Cupid shot his arrows drunkenly, not caring about true love anymore.

Love is a trap, Taehyung thought in his seat. 

It pulls you toward someone, blinding you of your surroundings so when you get just close enough to really love them, you're ensnared. You get stuck in a cage, watching the one you love up close yet so far away. No matter how hard you try to move toward them—to tell them how you feel, to receive their love—the bars block you and chains restrain you from traveling any further than the limits of the cage. 

And Taehyung's stuck, unable to find the key and free himself from this constant misery. 

 

 

 

 

A/N

Hey guy! How ya liking the story? Pretty dramatic am I right? 

Lol, but yeah, we got some drama going on! Jimin and Haein are going on a date? Taehyung likes Hae-In? What is all this madness? 

Hehe, I hope you guys liked it! 

OMG! Soooo many comebacks have happened! First and foremost, SHINEEE! OMG! Good Evening is such an amazing song and I'm so proud of SHINee. I'm sure Jonghyun would be proud too. :)

Also, PRISTIN V! They were so amazing! Get it is my jam! And AOA's comeback was really good too. 

AND! BTS released an extended version of Fake Love MV, like okay, kill me even more! Plus, I still don't understand anything at all.

Anyways, make sure to comment, I love all your comments and hearing what you think about the story!

Seeya next time!

-TallProud

(Edited Kinda)