Chapter Twenty - The Lie

The Remembered & The Forgotten (A BTS Fanfiction)

Third Person's POV

It had been a fair bit of time since Taehyung, Jungkook, and Hae-In had spent a few hours of their day together, which is why they were cooped up together in Taehyung's apartment re-watching Marvel movies. Taehyung was seated on his loveseat to the left of the room while Jungkook and Hae-In occupied the couch in the center. Though the movie playing was one of Taehyung's favourite's, he could hardly focus on it, the noise simply there as background music. Instead, he kept stealing glances at the other two occupants of the room. If you had only met the couple recently, you would think they were acting as most couples did; sitting together, feeding each other popcorn. But, Taehyung had known them—Hae-In at least—long enough to see that there was something wrong between the pair. Jungkook's eyes were distant never connecting with Hae-In as she tried to get his attention. He sat further away from her, the space possibly fitting a whole other person. Whenever Hae-In attempted feeding the boy, he would instead place his hand out stoically and return his gaze back to the TV screen.

Hae-In was also not as she usually was. Her smile hardly reached her cheeks as it usually did. Her eyes were dark and sulky as she flipped between watching the movie and watching Jungkook. Taehyung almost said something when Jungkook spoke up.

"Hae-In," he starts.

"Hm?" the girl hums.

"When did we start dating again?"

Hae-In stiffens at the question. "Pardon?"

"I was just wondering when we starting dating again. You know, it still seems to be fuzzy in my brain," Jungkook explains.

"Oh. Well, we started dating in our first year of high school."

Jungkook nods. In his mind though, that fact just wasn't lining up. Something about it seemed wrong. He didn't remember much of his high school life but of the few clips he did, Hae-In certain wasn't a part of them. 

"Did I confess first or did you?"

"You did," Hae-In says swiftly. Her heart was racing. The room had fallen to an eerie silence and even the movie was suddenly drowned out.

Again, another mismatch fact-to-memory in Jungkook's brain.

"Did we do anything for our second anniversary?"

"Of course we did honey!" Hae-In blurts with a nervous laugh. "We went to the fair."

"Do you like butterflies?"

"For heaven's sake Jungkook! What is with all these questions?" Hae-In shouts.

"I was just wondering," Jungkook counters.

Hae-In huffs. "Fine, I don't like butterflies. They're annoying and freak me out. There, you happy now?"

Jungkook doesn't answer and an awkward silence encapsulates the trio. Recently, Jungkook and Hae-In had been fighting more often than not and Taehyung was always caught in the middle. It was usually over petty things that normally the two would resolve with a sorry and a kiss. But now, they argued and argued until one of them collected their things and left. Taehyung could only sit and watch. He felt guilty doing nothing but he knew he'd feel guilty if he did do something. Hae-In was more worried than mad. She almost had him. Jungkook and her were going to be married in three months and soon he was going to be hers forever. She thought that all would be smooth sailing, but as life would have it, there was hardly any smooth sailing at all. Jungkook was so detached from her recently that Hae-In hardly could understand him anymore. And this wasn't the first time he'd started asking questions about his past. It seemed to be a new hobby of his and Hae-In detested it. Why couldn't he just be satisfied with what was happening right now?

Jungkook's phone goes off, releasing the three from their prison of quietude. Jungkook glances at the caller ID and groans loudly before pressing the green button.

"What do you want?"

"What a rude way to answer to your mother? What? Did I interrupt something?" His mother's tone was mocking and made Jungkook all the more angry.

"Yes, you did," the boy answers though it was hardly true.

"Pity. Your dad needs you to come and sit in on another one of his meetings."

"Again? But I did last week. I'm sure he'll survive if I don't go to this one."

His mother clicks her tongue and Jungkook can see the scowl on her face from his spot on Taehyung's couch. "Jeon Jungkook, you are going to be inheriting the company before you know it and to keep the business running as successfully as your father has been, you will need all the training you can get. So-"

"Okay, whatever. I'm on my way," Jungkook says, cutting her off. He doesn't give his mother time to say anything else before cutting off the phone (a habit he was suddenly picking up).

Recently, Jungkook and his mother's relationship was seemingly more strained than usual. After the recent flashbacks and his mother's increased nagging about him taking over the company, Jungkook started building an attitude toward the woman. He felt as though she was continuously forcing him to do things that he didn't want to do and his father was no help. They both had always said that they just wanted Jungkook to be happy. So why didn't they ever try and listen to what I want? 

"I've gotta go guys. Maybe we can finish this movie another time?"

"Yeah, sure. See ya," Taehyung says.

Jungkook gives a slight wave and then heads out the door. Outside, he finds that his mother sent one of their personal drivers to come and pick him up. He scoffs and looks at his car. I guess you'll be rooming with Tae's car for tonight. Jungkook walks toward the limo (his mother liked to show off her money) and a man quickly opens the door for him before he gets into the car. As they start driving, Jungkook leans his head against the window and sighs. He rolls up the partition between the front of the limo and the back, and then shuts his eyes. While he was hoping for sleep, his mind had other plans.

"Jungkook, are you okay?" 

"Not really," the boy answered truthfully.

Jungkook was with the girl from his former flashback. They were sitting together on the swings at a park he actually remembered. It was near his house, one of the few normal things in his neighbourhood.

"What's wrong boo?" The girl cooed, lacing her hands with his.

"I... it's nothing really."

The girl halted swinging softly and stared at Jungkook with worry in her eyes. "Jungkook, tell me what's wrong."

"It's really nothing," Jungkook muttered.

"Come on! I'm your girlfriend. I'm suppose to support you through these things you know?"

Jungkook chuckled softly. "I guess it's my parents again."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"Well, what about your parents is making you so sad? I mean, my parents can be so annoying!" The girl said, stretching out the 'so' for as long as she could. "But in the end, we talk about it and then boom! It's all solved."

"My situation is a little more complicated than that," Jungkook replied.

"Okay. Well, let it all out. You know my curfew isn't until a few hours from now so I'm prepared to listen to your long, emotional story."

A smile appeared on Jungkook's face and he let out a loud laugh. 

"Glad I could make you happy. Now, tell me the dets," the girl demanded jokingly.

Taking a deep breath, Jungkook finally let out all that was in his mind. "I'm getting an arranged marriage."

"What?!" she exclaims. "An arranged marriage?"

"Yeah. Well, I'm not going to go through with it! Don't worry. I like you and only you," Jungkook reassured her.

The girl giggled. "I like only you too."

Jungkook smiled at that and then continued explaining. "Basically, my parents want me to marry some prissy girl who's rich also so that the business can continue to be powerful or something. But I don't even want to take over the family business! And I've told them this countless times but they just don't listen!"

"I'm sorry Jungkook. I'm sure it'll all work out somehow."

"I hope so."

Jungkook lets out a gasp and shoots open his eyes. He places a hand on the handle of the door and tries his best to slow his breathing. The memory lapse was different than the first ones. Instead of causing him pain, it just left him extremely out of breath. Jungkook's eyes flicker from the window to the floor and then back to the window, trying to go over everything he'd just seen. Arranged marriage? The only marriage he knows he's had in progress was the one with Hae-In but did that mean that it was arranged? It couldn't be. They said I proposed the day we graduated. Jungkook tries to doubt it but it had to be a memory or else he wouldn't have had that scene flash through his mind. He wonders now, if what really went on with his marriage with Hae-In was fake, what else could be a lie in his life?

 

~~~~~

 

Once Jungkook's gone, a few seconds of quiet pass before Hae-In lets out a frustrated scream. She gets up and starts pacing, mutter and yelling nonsense.

"Can you believe him? He has the audacity to question our relationship as if I haven't told him about it so many times! And now he's going to avoid me and be rude and distant? Honestly, I can't deal with this anymore. I mean, we're getting married Taehyung! Couldn't he at least try to act better to me?"

Silence.

Hae-In stops pacing when she gets no response. She turns to Taehyung and eyes him. Usually, whenever Hae-In ranted about how 'hard' her life was, Taehyung would smile and say a few things to calm her down. He always had but this time he was silent.

"Tae?"

"Do you even have a right to be mad?" He suddenly says.

"Excuse me?" Hae-In asks perplexed.

"Hae-In, in reality, Jungkook deserves to be mad, after everything we've put him through."

Hae-In lets out a huff of disbelief. "What are you trying to say?"

"You know exactly what I'm saying." Taehyung had wanted it to come out softer but the snarl in his voice was evident as day.

"Taehyung what has gotten into you? Why are you saying things like this?"

Taehyung gets up, shaking his head. "What has gotten into me? Ha! Maybe some common sense to see that what we're doing, especially you, is horrible and wrong and it needs to stop."

"Oh, are you on that Haein's side now? And Jimin huh? Just because you spend the vacation with them doesn't make them your friends. Their the enemy here Taehyung, don't you see?"

"No!" he finally exclaims. "I don't see! I don't see it at all. Jimin and Haein did nothing wrong and Jungkook deserves to know the truth."

"What truth?" Hae-In questions but her voice is shaky. She knows what he's referring to but for so long she's pretended that it wasn't real. She's pretended that the reality she's been living in is the true one, the real one when in truth, both Taehyung and Hae-In knew that was wrong.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about," Taehyung says darkly. "Jungkook deserves to know that the life he's living right now is a lie. That every idea and thought and feeling isn't his own."

"Stop," Hae-In mutters, tears streaming down her cheeks. "Just stop!"

Taehyung, with his own tears, continues going on regardless. He needed to say it.

"Jungkook needs to know that his memories have been altered and by the ones who should've loved him the most."

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Jimin freezes mid-knock as Taehyung's voice vibrates out the door. They lied?

 

 

 

A/N

Hey guys! Hope you're all doing well! Sorry for taking so long to update, school is actually the worst in the world.

And HAPPY NEW YEAR! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. I certainly did, though the cold of winter decided to finally show up now and not during the break   :( #Canadianthings. lol

I hope you guys liked this chapter! Some jucy stuffed was revealed ;)

Anyway, thank you to all my new subsribers! I see you all subsrcibing and stuff and i'm soo glad that you've founf this stroy and are enjoying it! Sending lots of love. Also to my everyone else reading this story I just want to thank you for all the reads and comments! It truly motivates me to continue writing. <3

So, aside from the stroy, are you guys excited for TXT or are you excited for TXT cuz this girl is excited!!! I honestly can't wait! Do you guys have biases yet? Mine's Soobin, such a cutie!!! Hehe! I'm also excited for itzy!! Can't wait to see these girls kill the girl crush vibes like I know they will! Also, BTS AND Lay at the Grammys? Two legends together like how will I breathe? ALSO LOONA IS GOING TO BE THE DEATH OF MEEEEEE! Their coming out with another album and ya gurl is excited!!!

See y'all next time!

~TallProud

(Edited Kinda)