Chapter Eighteen - Rekindle the Flame

The Remembered & The Forgotten (A BTS Fanfiction)

*Warning: Mentions of Depression and suicide*

*It's not much but if you do get seriously triggered, I'll put a 🌂 at the start and end of the scene so you can skip it*


Once upon a time, 

There was a boy who lied.

~~~

For quite some time, Soojin had been sad. The sadness formed from situations Soojin just couldn't control and it grew and grew as the days went on. It was an incurable type of sadness for her. The type that kept you inside and laying down on your bed, with no means of getting up ever. It was the type of sadness that brought thoughts into her head that wouldn't go away, no matter how hard she tried. The type of sadness that consumed one's self. At times, Soojin really believed that there was nothing she could do, that she'd be sad forever. She'd gone to counseling and therapy sessions and they were great, but right when she felt as though maybe the sadness was curable, it came back like a hurricane, destroying any hope she had left. It had happened so many times that finally, she was just going to end it all. Until, she met him.

🌂

Soojin stood on the ledge and watched the waves crash against the rocks at the bottom of the bridge. It was dark which made it all the more terrifying and yet, she felt so alive. The wind whipped her hair around her face and pushed her forward and then back, taunting the girl. This is it, I'm finally going to be free. Ready to finish everything, there and then, she shut her eyes and took a step.

For a while, Soojin wondered why she wasn't falling, why the water wasn't filling her lungs until she couldn't breathe. The girl pried open my eyes to see that she was no longer on the ledge but standing awkwardly on the ground, arms wrapped around her waist. She stumbled out of the person's grasp and snarled at them.

"What are you doing?"

"Saving you," The boy said nonchalantly.

"I don't need saving! I was fine."

Now angered, Soojin climbed back onto the ledge, ready to jump but the boy pulls her down once again, causing both of them to fall onto the ground. Tears filled her eyes as she stared at this person as though he was a monster.

🌂

"Why are you doing this?! Let me go!" Soojin thrashed around in his arms but the boy held onto her tight, watching her in pity.

"I'm not going to let you go," he said softly.

"Why?" She cried out. "You don't even know me! You don't know what I'm going through."

"I do, I've been here too. But this is not the way to go. There is always another way out."

Soojin snorted and rolled her eyes. "You sound like my parents."

"Well, I'm not your parents but I'm here to help. Plus, I'm sure your parents are worrying deeply about you."

"I don't care. I just want to stop being sad. I'm always sad. I'm always hurting because of those people. And the voices! Oh, the voices just taunt me even more! I can't stand it. They tell me all these things and everyone says it's not true but how do I really know? How can I really know when they tell me constantly that I'm worthless? That I deserve to die?" 

The boy held Soojin tighter as tears started to fill his own eyes. "You're always worth something, more than you can imagine, and I'm going to show, okay? I promise, I'm going to be with you from now on."

Soojin, whose sobs had dwindled down into sniffles, looked this boy in the eyes. She saw the sincerity in them and for once, she felt that maybe what he said was right. Maybe, just maybe, she was worth something.

Yoongi was forever glad that he found Soojin that night before anything serious could happen. When he held her that night, he was reminded of when he had been right where she was; hurting, broken, sad, alone. Yoongi had vowed right in that moment that he would never let her go through the same things he once did. Of course, he knew it would take some time for Soojin to trust him, he was just a stranger at the time, but the boy knew he couldn't give up on her.

Soojin had never thought that it would take just the help of a friend to really overcome her sadness. With the constant encouragement from Yoongi and from the friends the soon acquired, Soojin found a self she hadn't know in a long time. She was finally free from the sadness that surrounded her before. Though she still had low days, she knew she could get out of them now, she knew there really was a light at the end of the tunnel.

~~~

As time went on, Yoongi and Soojin grew closer as friends do. Everyone was sure that the two were going to be together, though they both denied it a thousand times. But, it seemed what their friends had believed was starting to become true. Soojin and Yoongi had a bond like no other and it strengthened as the days went on. When they finally announced that they were in fact dating, nobody was surprised. Haein, Jungkook, and Jimin were happy for them; they deserved that type of love. For a time, that's what everyone was: happy. The group of friends radiated joy wherever they traveled to and joy followed them in return, enlightening them to be giant bundles of happiness. It was a flowering time for them; a time of fresh youth and hope. It was their summer season and no one could deny that it made them tighter than ever. But, as every season does, their summer ended and as the leaves began to coat themselves in diverse mixtures of colour, becoming different from one another, so did the people around them.

~~~

It hadn't been long since Yoongi left that Jimin also followed suit, leaving the group behind to pursue his dreams. The three left in the group were fine despite their circumstances. Jungkook and Haein were happy as always, seemingly in the prime of their relationship, and Soojin was feeling better than ever. Though he was in university, Soojin and Yoongi decided to stay together. It wasn't like he'd left the city and Soojin could still see him frequently so there wasn't a major shift in their relationship. She was happy with where they were at. Suddenly though, Yoongi started changing. At first it was subtle, a mood that he would probably overcome later on and then it grew into something so much more.

Soojin first noticed a change when she'd gone to surprise Yoongi once after school. She'd brought muffins for the both of them to share and was hoping that they might hang out if the said boy wasn't busy. When Yoongi spotted Soojin though, he'd advertently avoided the girl, rushing off in the other direction when seeing her. When Soojin had asked him about it, he simply told her he hadn't seen her. Soojin bought it just this once, too love sick to ever doubt him. As time went on though, these incidents happened more often with more excuses to cover them up. One day—finally fed up with the lies—Soojin marched her way to Yoongi's university, determined to get answers.

Soojin moved swiftly along the path of Yoongi's university campus. She knew she was acting like a clingy girlfriend but she had to know what was up with her boyfriend. He'd been ignoring her calls and leaving her texts on read the whole day. Yoongi had only messaged her once in the morning that day and it was to tell her to not come to his school. He had said that he'd rather they just meet outside of their school grounds now. Soojin had read the text over and over and wondered, was he embarrassed? Did he feel shame that he was dating a immature high schooler? The thought was eating away at Soojin's mind and she desperately needed answers. 

As she continued walking, Soojin realized that she didn't actually know where Yoongi's class. Deciding to ask for directions, she walked up to two girls who seemed nice enough to actually answer her questions.

"Um, hi. I was wondering if you guys know a Min Yoongi?"

"Min Yoongi? The one with that stark, mint green hair?" One of the girls described.

"Yeah! Do you happen to know where he might be right now?" Soojin asked.

"Depends. In all honesty, I don't think he even has a class today but he's probably here, making out with some girl somewhere."

"What?"

"Oh, you didn't know? Min Yoongi is like the official playboy of the school," the other girl explained.

"I mean, he's just a freshman but throughout the past month, he's been with at least four girls."

"Not counting the flings he's had here and there," one added on.

"Really?" Soojin questioned, her lip quivering.

The two girls nodded slowly, noticing Soojin's sudden look of defeat.

"Hey, what is Yoongi to you anyway?" they asked politely.

"Just a friend," Soojin muttered.

"Well, um... Last time I saw him, he was in the main building."

Soojin thanked the two girls before continuing on her way. In reality, the thought of Yoongi cheating on her had crossed her mind but she tried to believe that he wold never do that. Yoongi had saved her and helped her heal. There was no way he'd hurt her like this, right? She ran into the main building of the campus and was relieved to see that familiar head of tiffany blue hair. Her relief though, was quickly washed away as she watched him embrace another girl tightly and whisper something in her ear before sending her off with a kiss. Soojin only noticed herself crying when Yoongi turned and locked eyes with her in shock. They stood like that for a while, both unsure of what to do, and then finally, Soojin just spun the other way, and walked out of the building.

"Soojin! Soojin wait!"

She walked faster, almost ran until a hand clutched her own and pulled her back into a hug. She quickly shoved him away and stared at the boy she loved with fire in her eyes.

"Soojin, please, just let me explain," Yoongi started but that only caused Soojin to laugh.

"Explain what? How do you explain blatant cheating Yoongi? Please, enlighten me with another excuse as to how what I saw was different than what it really was."

Yoongi stayed silent.

"Is this why you hardly answers my text nowadays? Why you didn't want me to meet you at your school anymore?" Soojin scoffed. "And to think I really loved you."

Soojin turned to leave again but Yoongi's voice broke through the air, stopping her. "Soojin, please... just give me another chance."

"Another chance? Yoongi how messed up are you? It's crazy that just a few minutes ago I had run into these girls who told me all about your new reputation here and I wanted to believe that it wasn't true so bad. I wanted to believe that the idea of you cheating on me could never exist and yet here we are. I'm not going to give another chance Yoongi. Not now, not tomorrow, not ever! You helped me grow out of what I used to be. You helped me overcome the people who hurt me so bad and yet now you're becoming just like them! I can never forgive you Yoongi, and I'm not sorry about it."

"Soojin.."

"Just stop!" she screamed. "You promised! You promised me you were going to be by my side from now on! You just broke that. This, whatever this was, is over. Good-bye Yoongi."

And just like that , Soojin left, leaving a broken, confused boy behind her.

The break-up and its circumstances hit Soojin hard. She could hardly get out of bed some days and felt emotionally drained. She still loved Yoongi but she knew she could never be with him again, not after everything he had done. In that time, Soojin reflected on their relationship and realized that it was never healthy to start with. Soojin was so hopelessly dependent on Yoongi that she never really worried about her actually self. She thought that all she needed to survive was Yoongi and that was why they started a relationship. In reality, Soojin had only loved Yoongi because she thought he was her medicine, not because she honestly loved him in a romantic way. With this realization in mind, Soojin started to grow in herself more. She started to learn how do be independent and rely on herself at times. Most of all, Soojin learned how to love herself and that was the greatest gift Yoongi could have ever offered her in her life (directly or indirectly).

~~~

Third Person's POV

"Soojin!"

Hearing her name being called, the girl turns around, searching for the owner of the voice that had called her. Her eyes lock with a familiar boy and she groans, turning back swiftly.

"Soojin wait!"

Sighing, Soojin faces the boy and glares. "What?"

"Look, I need to talk to you, so please, just spare me five minutes of your time, please," Yoongi begs.

"Fine. You've got four minutes, I'm counting."

"Soojin. I know what I did was horrible and everyday I think about it, it hurts me to think that I ever hurt you like that. You are such an amazing girl and you deserve so much love and more, and yet I couldn't even give you a small fraction of my love. I was stupid and blinded by my new surrounds and by new people that I lost sight of what I truly loved: you. I know it's been years since we broke up but, I still love you Soojin. To be honest, I don't think I ever stopped."

Silence. Soojin stares at the boy and he stares at her. Her heart races as she recites what Yoongi had just said in her head over and over.

"Please say something," Yoongi whispers.

Soojin doesn't answer, silence continuing to encapsulate them. Instead, she watches Yoongi's eyes as they well up with tears. She watches how his hands shake slightly, in fear of what she'll say. She simply watches and tries to process this information.

"Yoongi, I don't love you."

A tear escapes her eyes and she scoffs at herself for being so emotional. She couldn't help it though. It was as if Yoongi was just pulling her back to the past, to a place she never wanted to go to again. That alone brought on so much previous hurt that it was impossible for her to contain her emotions.

"I don't think I'll ever love you like that again."

Yoongi tries to utter out another word but they both turn heads when someone else calls Soojin's name. She stares at Yoongi and sighs deeply. 

"I'm sorry." And this time, she really was.

Soojin runs as fast as she can away from the older boy. She makes her way to Minjoon (he had been the one who had called her name) and encircles her arms around his waist. He automatically hugs her back and pulls her in closer.

"Are you okay?" He mutters.

Soojin buries her head into Minjoon's chest, trying her best to not dare look back at the boy she once loved.

"I don't know Minjoon. I really don't know,"

 

 

 

 

 

A/N

Hey guys! I finally updated! I'm sorry for taking so long. School , grade 11 , everything . But, I am going to try and update more frequently as I have most of the next chapters laid out already. Yahhhh!!!

Anyways, we got to see more into Soojin's past which was something I was really excited to write. Sadly though, Soojin and Yoongi will never be together again but that doesn't mean they'll stay enemies. Or maybe they will, you never know? ;)

Also, I just wanted to note that I know depression is serious and that not everyone can just find a way out like the way Soojin did in this chapter. I only wrote it this way for the purpose of this story. I am in no ways trying to dull down the seriousness of depression by doing this.

Sidenote: My sister is a queen because she preordered EXO's new album for me and herself and my other sister. Honestly, get a sister like mine. LoL

I totally lied before. I said I wasn't going to post any new stories but I've been writing this one Stray Kids fanfiction and I really want to put it out so, stay tuned to that! It'll probs be angsty too and it'll be posted on Wattpad as well.

Seeya sweeties!

~TallProud

(Edited Kinda)