September II : hazel eyes

Life Is A Puzzle

Kim Sujin, in her flat, past midnight, all alone

I dozed off on my desk, drawing on my board and when I woke up, I was surprisingly alone. I frowned and stood up to drink some water. I saw the hour : past midnight and my daughter and her irresponsible father

Where are they ? Did they get an car accident ? I thought about this while drinking water and shook my head. I should stop thinking bad things like this. I called him and out of habit, he didn't answer. I repeated my calls a few times, so he would see my intention to know where is my daughter.

 

Gosh, gosh what should I do ? I sat back on the couch and felt the emptyness of my small flat. Without comprehending how, soon I was walking out of my flat, sat on the concrete, waiting for the car with my phone. As I was freezing from cold ; a car parked in front of me.

"Sujin ?" The person said. I looked at the blurry person standing next to me. His suit told me right away it was YongGuk, I didn't need my glasses for that.

 

« Hey is everything alright ? » He asked.

 

I stood up and shrugged. «  How come you're out at this hour ? »

 

« I was at a trial and I got so much trafic, some association is blocking the streets. » He explained with a slightly annoyed tone. He must be so frustrated about not coming back home to his daughter.  « So is everything okay ? You're waiting here and it's so late ! »

 

I shrugged. « I'm waiting for my daughter. Her dad finally came to visit and took her to have a meal with him but they're still not back and I can't reach him. »

 

He frowned and checked his clock. « It's past midnight. »

 

« I'm getting worried. » I said softly, not wanting to think of a potentiel terrible event occuring.

 

He looked at me with an expression that I couldn't read, mostly because I didn't have my glasses. « It's not a reason to stay outside in this weather. They must be stuck in traffic.I'll wait with you but inside the flat. »

 

He pushed me up the stairs  and I gave him a confused look. «  Aren't you tired ? Taeyang should be waiting for you. »

 

« I hope she is asleep by this hour. Sejeong is staying with her.» He said as I got my keys and opened the door.

As I entered and invited him to do so, I realized it's been  a while we didn't see each other. glasses. I gave him a quick look and he looked stunning as always. As he talked about his daughter, I remember about mine who is missing and took the infusion to prepar some.  « Peppermint ? »

 

He looked at me with amused eyes. « My favorite. » I smiled to him and started to warm the water. I gave him his infusion and he thanked me. « When can I declar her missing ? »

 

He scoffed, I realized I must sound like a very worried mom, but I had a taste of how irresponsible Kang Joon was. « Only after 24 hours. »

 

As the silence fell between us, I felt worry creep on my skin. « Would you talk ? About anything ? I 'm just overthinking about this and ...»

 

 

« You made some cookies for Taeyang and she loved it. Maybe you could show me how to do them while we wait. So when Moonah come back, she'll get cookies. »

 

I must have looked so shocked that he blushed. « I mean only if you want to. I would understand if you're not in the mood to bake cookies.»

 

I blinked twice and shrugged. I  took the few ingredients to start the preparation. « You'll need chocolate peeps. But you can add other things like nuts or banana or grape whatever. »

 

I gave him the instructions as I looked at him measur the flour, mix the preparation. Now he was carefully putting the dough on a cooking sheet before putting them in the oven. I started to pack everything in the drawer and he poked my shoulder. « Thanks.»

 

I half smiled. « It's okay. Cookies are really easy to do you should be fine by yourself next time. »

 

«I hope Taeyang will join me though. She's the one who pester me to bake for her." He complained in a cute manner.

 

I wiped the kitchen islet and soon looking at the hour, my heart missed a beat. It was now past 1 in the morning. « Whoah, yes sit down I'll pour you some juice, you are so pale. »

 

I let him lead me to the couch and I swiched on the TV, he shoved a glass of apple juice in my hand and I sipped a bit. Searching for the news, I couldn't feel sympathetic for the people stuck in the city because of the manisfestation. He looked worried about me and sighed loudly. « I'll try to call a friend. He's working at a police station in Busan, okay ? »

 

I waited, eyes on the TV as YongGuk called several people. It took time. He first called his friend that called someone else and he was waiting for more than ten minutes before having back his friend at the Busan Police station.

 

« Oh really ? » I heard him say.

 

He gave me a look. I was in my pastel joggings and cleared my throat. "I'm going like that."

 

YongGuk waited for me at the door ad I took my daughter favourite plushie Gugu with me along with my bag. «  I'll explain you while driving. »

 

I followed him without any second thoughts and then entered back the house. When I came to the car he looked at me. « She's so sensitive to the cold. And I'm sure her jacket stayed in his car so. »

He opened the door of the passenger seat for me and I sat quickly. He closed my door and ranto his seat. As he started his car, he gave me a side look. « Okay so don't freak out okay. »

 

I nodded. « I promise. »

 

« The police station have found her. She was lost in the streets not far from the demonstration. Sa we are going to pick her up but we need to drive a little bit more because of the manifestation. I need to avoid the blocked roads. »

 

I sighed out of relief. « Gosh thanks she's at a police station. » I put my hands on my chest trying to calm my heart and I gasped as his hand came to grabb my left hand, squeezing it to give me some comfort. It was a short yet sweet gesture. As he removed his hand, I grabbed the plushie of Moonah aand caressed the soft fur of it.

 

I needed to wash it. It's covered with non identified stains and has a little odor. I think of the little girl, my baby waiting alone at a police station when she should be in her bed holding the plushie I have in my hands. We drove silently to the police station. I was so exhausted that I closed my eyes several times. I tried to fight against sleep.

*

Bang YongGuk, driving to Busan police station, past two in the morning

« Feel free to sleep if you're tired. The road is long so really take this opportunity to sleep. » I looked at her shake her head. Soon, I gave a look to the lady sat in my passenger seat and chuckled lightly. She was sleeping, the plushie of her daughter in her arms , holding its paw with her hand in the cutest manner. For two months, I stayed in my lane, I stayed the dad of her daughter bestfriend. I stopped to talk to her when it was not necessary and made a lot of things awkward between us, I stopped all unncecessary interactions between us. The girls saw each other plenty of times and I must admit, I was always looking forwards having the polite chitchat with Sujin I restricted myself to stick to with her.

 

I thought I would be strong. Yet seeing the lady in my passenger seat sleep in this adorable way. It just melted me to see her peacefully asleep, holding the paw of the plushie so tightly.

Maybe I should invite her. Tell her to go on a date with me. Because with all the flaws I have, I'm still a nice guy.

 

As I drove to the police station, I had to deal with trafic and we arrived around 3 at the police station. I parked my car and woke up Sujin. « Sujin we're there. »

 

I shook a little bit her body and she opened her eyes. « We're here let's go. »

 

I opened the door for her and she exited the car. We entered the police station and I went to see my friend YoungJae. « Where is she ? » Sujin asked, eyes looking around in worry.

 

« Oh Moonah I think she is having hot chocolate with officer Daehyun. » He smiled to me and eyed the lady next to me. « Let's have a little talk before that. »

 

Sujin and I sat in front of him and he gave us a serious look. «She was not far from the demonstration. It's a woman that send her to us. She was terrified. She was asking for her mom all along apparently, we asked her what would make her happy and she asked for a hot chocolate. »

 

She suddenly hit the table with her hand. « What the demonstration was about ? » Everyone froze. Why was this a capital information right now ?

Youngjae gave a look to her and searched on a news website the required information. « Hmm about sea pollution I think. »

 

She closed her eyes hearing the answer and turned off her phone by the second. . « This guy is dead. Dead. He'll make me crazy one day. » She mumbled, in a dark anger. She pursed her lips and tried to remain calm. We all looked at her confused and soon she sighed annoyed. « So where is she ? »

 

We walked a little hall and soon Youngjae opened the door for us. I looked at Sujin reaction seeing her daughter sit on a table in front of a policeman and quietly sipping her hot chocolate. The little girl left her seat right away. « MOM »

 

They hugged so strongly and Moonah looked at her mom with teary eyes. « I thought I will never see you again Mom. I thought they will keep me there. I was so terrified Mom. I want to go home.»

 

Sujin patted her daughter back, now crying in the crook of her neck. The little girl must have been so terrified, all alone and lost. So now, finding back her mom was such a relief for her. Sujin was smiling  softly, caressing the hair with such softness and breathed loudly, just feeling her daughter presence. She looked happy as she kissed her daughter forehead«Moonah, it's okay, everything is okay now. We're going home don't worry. »

She stood up, holding her daughter against her in a tight hug. Back to the office, they asked her to fill some papers and she executed herself in silence, a hand still smoothing her daughter hair. . « Mom, when are we going back home ?.»

 

The mother whispered in her ear, loud enough for us to understand. "Soon. Moonah everything is over. Mom is here, you're secure in my arms, no matter where."

She finished to fill the papers and soon we were out of the police station. Moonah was still in her arms. I opened the back door and she thanked me. I looked at her putting the cardigan she prepared on her daughter and gave her the plushie. Moonah thanked her in her tears.

 

Sujin giggled softly. « Now try to sleep. It's over Moonah mommy and Gugu your plushie are  here. »

Sujin crossed my eyes in the mirror and I smiled.  She found back her colors now, cheeks red from the cold and emotions, pink lips. Moonah was asleep in her arms like a big baby. The way home was silent, and the protest over it was easy to go back home. When we reached the neigborhood, Sujin sighed. «It's morning. ».I parked myself in front of her building behind a flashy retro car.

As we exited the car, the guy instantly came to meet us. "Gosh you found her."

Sujin send daggers with her eyes and he stayed silent. "Not now."

Her tone was autoritarien enough to make him purse his lips and take a step back. We climbed up the stairs and I opened the door for her. As she entered, Sujin laid her daughter on her bed.  Moonah was now soundly asleep as Sujin arranged the blanket over her. Sujin closed the curtains and exited the room

 She looked so apologetic lloking at me. « I'm sorry taking that much of your time when you're a busy lawyer. Gosh you didn't sleep a bit and it's morning. Oh i'm so sorry but also so thanksful. I don't know what would have happen if you wasn't there. I would have died of worry. »

 

I shrugged. « It's okay. I'm glad that she is safe. I mean if I helped it doesn't matter, I'm happy.»

 

She seemed a little shocked. « Hmm okay. I'll keep that in mind. I'll try to thank you and you'll have no right to refuse I swear. »

 

Exiting, I git remembered of the guy as she went to see him with a smile, confusing me. « So was the protest interesting ? What was it about again ? Sea pollution ? Ahh I saw some footage on TV. I'm really curious to know. I mean it was captivating enough for you to let her alone so tell me what I missed being home dying of worries. »

 

« Sujin stop being that ironic. » He calmly said, guilt written all over his face. So he was ... Moonah father and Sujin ex boyfriend, talented enough to lose his daughter and make the mom worry all night.

 

Sujin joined her hands together and nodded slowly. « So you want me to nagg you instead ? Tell me I can fit to your demands. »

 

He stayed silent, and I realized how his daughter looked like him.  The early morning sunrise was giving his eyes a gold colour, highlighted by long eyelashes. Moonah had the exact same eyes. The sun plays with her hazel pupils in the same mysterious  way.

 



Yeah, another chapter ::

 

I'm so busy these days ! I'm proud to say I finally got my law degree, after 3 years of hard work !! Now I only have two years to specialize myself gosh it feels so good to succeed with your studies ! Now I have to change of city, find a flat, find a job during vacation ( I have three months of vacation not joking !)

 

Wish you the best , good luck to you if you're taking exams :)