March : Memories

Life Is A Puzzle

Kim Sujin, 27th of february

We spent a day at the beach, the weather being chilly but bearable. Busan had warmer temperatures than Seoul usually thanks to the sea. I took time to search seashells with Moonah, while YongGuk prefered to stay inside to read a book to his daughter. We spent a nice afternoon just the two of us, Moonah and I, just like the old times. It was important that we still had moments like this. We played games on the beach and walked in the old village nearby.

 

As we came back to the villa, I overheard things and took a more than necessary time to remove my shoes outside. The open window  made me able to hear the conversation very well. « I like her, she is nice. I mean I liked Hana too. But Sujin is just -. »

 

« Don't compare them. » YongGuk interrupted her, his voice still calm.

 

«They are very different indeed. But if I can add one thing , you was lovestruck with Hana. Everyone was because she is pretty. Everyone was played in this story.»

 

« Stop to talk about her. If Tae hear you I- » YongGuk started, not calm anymore. Hana was a taboo subject. Her name alone was enough to make him sad. I sighed.

 

Yongmi gave up. « Okay okay sorry, I just wanted to say that Sujin is nice, she doesn't seem fake or overly perfect. Really. »

 

I took time to wipe my shoes clean and remove then before doing the same with Moonah. I let Moonah open the door and remove her shoes to grab her slippers and she immediately ran to the living room. « Where is Taeyang ? »

 

« She is playing upstairs with her cousins, go and join them ! » YongGuk said nicely. I came in the kitchen with him and his sister and  went to the sink to wash the shells we collected with Moonah in silence.

 

« Did you have fun on the beach ? » YongGuk asked trying to sound cheerful.

 

I had a scoff.  You won't fool me this easily boy. Yet I answered in a neutral tone.  « Yeah, we found some shells. Moonah wants to keep them so I'm washing them. »

 

« Okay, tonight we're staying here. Because YongMi and her husband have a date together. We're babysitting, that's fine with you right ? » He asked, coming closer to me.  I nodded absently and only got out of my thoughts by the dramatic scream of YongMi

 

« Oh gosh, Hubby is ttaking care of the children. I must start to shower !! » She screamed before sprinting in the stairs. As she came back in the living room, YongGuk was taking care of his nephews upstairs while I was drawing. « Brought makeup ? »

 

A few minutes later, we were across the pool to get the kind of light I needed and started my art. Face was a canvas like another. I was working fairly on her eyes with a sunset themre well when I got interrupted. « Huh ? What is it makeup session ? » Her brother asked.

 

« Gosh YongGuk, your girlfriend is so talented at makeup. Look at that blended eyeshadow. » She said opening her eyes and pointed at her fierce eyeshadow. As I frowned, she closed back her eyes and I kept adding more colors.  He looked at me with curious eyes. «She's a painter after all. »

 

As I was finished, she hugged me in her arms. "Can I have you as my daily makeup artist ? You're so talented ?"

 

I awkwardly laughed. "It's a hobby? However I have some friends that are excellent make up artists, I can give you some numbers."

She accepted the deal and received the numbers with excitement. Then she hugged a last time her baby, still not sleeping at this hour. « So I count on you two to babysit our kids. I've already told my twins to be quiet. But well ; they already eat, their dad gave them their bath and now they will probably stay in bed. »

 

We waved goodbye and closed back the door. We took time to eat properly and came back to the living room. Our daughters were having fun in Taeyang room, watching some TV together. We only had to take care of the baby.

 

YongGuk was holding him with a smile. I looked at him swing gently with him, in attempt to appease him. With sweet nothings. I sat down and opened my sketchbook, starting to draw the scene. His muscular arms holding the chubby baby, his large smile and bright eyes looking at the baby. As he realized what I was doing, he bursted in a nervous laugh.

 

« Gosh, you should have just take a photo. » He awkwardly said, cheeks now watercolored with pink.

 

« Let me do it, I think you might have to lie him down soon. Be natural. » I took the photo and let him put the baby on his bed. He sat next to me as I was still drawing him. He was looking at me with curious eyes. « You like drawing me ? I'm not too boring ? »

 

I frowned and pinched gently his cheek. « You're not boring. You're kind and heartwarming so I took my pen. »

 

« I know it's not the first time you draw me but it's still weird for me. » He confessed, shy about it.

 

« False, it's not my first time Really ? Well, get used to it. » It was a reality. As we live together, he's going to appear in my drawings. He looked at me drawing and was requesting crazy things. "Make me have moore muscular arms." "Oh and that hairline is too high" "Ya I don't have so big lips." I laughed knowing he was only teasing me. He knew of my habit of drawing in  silence and was only trying to be playful with me.

As the baby woke up, he started to cry. "I'll go get YoungMin." I said before YongGuk stood up.

 

 I  came back with a fully awake baby. I laughed as YoungMin grabbed my hair. Sitting next to YongGuk, I made myself at ease, enough to entertain our little company.

 

« You have that mom touch. » He stated.

 

«OH my god, how did you know ?» I dramatically asked to amuse the baby. Whereas the baby smiled to me, YongGuk  smiled, half sad and I frowned. « Don't do that smile in my company. It looks sad. » As he nodded, I kissed his lips.

 

« YoungMin is a really cute little boy. » I stated, with a smile.

 

YongGuk agreed and took this occasion to rest his shoulder around mine and get closer to my body. « We both have girls. Maybe you wanted a boy ? »

 

I laughed, making the baby laugh at the same. « Just an healthy baby. I mean, I didn't have any plans to get pregnant and I barely thought about it. You ? »

 

« I was okay with both. But secretly ... I wanted a little girl. So I could have a princess home. » He recalled for me, a dreamy smile plastered on his face. There was no doubt about it. He loved Taeyang from the bottom of his heart.

 

*

Bang YongGuk

 

Soon, Sujin breath was regular and I knew right away she was dozing off. The baby was comfortably set on her chest and was sleeping too. It was a sweet view. I was tired honestly. Taking care of children is the best workout. I rearranged the little blanket on us and  I closed my eyes, knowing that I won't be able to  sleep on this couch, my body perfectly aware I could not sleep here, waiting for my sister and her husband to comeback.

 

As I rested my eyes, I heard the door open and heels on the floor. They were back. As they came in the living room, my sister smiled. « Gosh, you look like new parents. »

My brother in law gave me a funny face and I chuckled. They loved to tease me about Sujin and right now, it was a perfect occasion for it.

 

I motionned them to stay calm as Sujin was deep asleep. I succeeded in giving back her baby to YongMi and looked at her kiss the forehead of her precious little one. « Thanks bro. »

 

I shrugged. « It's nothing. »

 

As she headed to her room upstairs I looked at the asleep woman next to me. I guess it was time for us to sleep to. I lifted her and brought her upstairs in my room. I made sure to lie her gently on my bed and settle down next to her. I smiled. Now she was all mine.

 

I didn't sleep well that night despite being tired and had the leisure to witness how well Sujin sleep. Like a piece of wood. Morning came and I started to read magazines my sister left on my bedstand. Keeping up with law was nicier than trying to sleep at this point.

 

When she finally woke up, she sat up with surprise. « I've brought you here. Don't worry. I think the gilrs are still in bed. » I informed her.

She nodded slowly and crashed back against the pillow.

«You sleep like a hella lot. » I stated, a hint of envy in my voice.

 

A smile was drawn on her face as I said that and she giggled. « Moonah is a real worn in bed. I end up sleeping very bad or having an aching body because she moves so damn much. She's a real monster, aside from the part when she woke up from nightmares.»

 

« I thought you had peaceful nights. »I said, looking at her rest her head on my chest.

 

«Hmm I got used to that you know. » She pecked my cheek then. « I had a good night of sleep thanks to you tho, what about you ? »

 

« Yes. You own me one. I didn't sleep. Maybe one hour ? » I tried to recall the small dozing off I made.

 

She bite her lip. « Really ? Gosh. I thought that coming here you would have sleep well. »

 

« Location doesn't cure insomnia. »  I commented. To an extent it was true. She pouted cutely and I kissed her lips. "I told you, having a pretty woman in my bed doesn't help."

 

As we went down for breakfast, we looked at Moonah and Taeyang sat next to each other. « Hey Moonah you skept well last night ? » Sujin asked to her daughter.

 

« Yeah, Taeyang she is small like me and she doesn't complain if I move a lot in bed. Can I keep sleeping next to her ? » Moonah asked, making me chuckle. So Sujin was right, Moonah moves a lot in bed. Taeyang didn't. She would wake up in the same position she started to sleep in.

 

« Yeah, so Mom can keep sleeping next to YongGuk right ? »

 

Moonah slowly nodded. « Of course. But if I have a nightmare you'll come and see me right ? »

 

« Of course. Even if you want to sleep with me occasionnally it's still possible. » Sujin answered nicely. In short, this is how Sujin and I started to share my bedroom when we came back from this little trip to the villa.

 

17th of march,  Bang YongGuk

« Mom it's your birthday next week. » Sujin lowered her head to the calendar her daughter was holding and adjusted her glasses. « Gosh yeah already. »

 

I looked at them  in horror. « Which date ? »

 

« The 21th of march. » Moonah automatically answered.

 

« Gosh that's in four days. Why do I get this information just now ? » I complained. How was I supposed to prepar a perfect day for her in such a little time ?

 

« Is it that important ? » Sujin retorted, her voice slightly getting higher, a sigh she was annoyed by the subject.

 

« Yes you're my girlfriend, of course it is !! » I emphasized that she counted for me yet I got an eye roll.

 

«I usually skip celebration. There's no need to fuss. » She cleared up for me, eyes still on the magazines she was reading.

 

Moonah whined. « But Mom I want cake. »

 

« Yeah you'll get a cake, don't worry. » Sujin softly said, a finger caressing her cheek. The little girl felt reassured and clapped in her hands.

 

As we walked in our bedroom after wishing the girls goodnight, I excused myself to Sujin. « I need to search something just sleep first. »

 

« YongGuk it's all written on your face. I really don't want a celebration. I'll just get a cake okay ? »

 

I frowned and felt like a capricious little boy in front of an adult. « Can't I just buy the cake for you ? »

 

« Come on, I'll bake it myself. Don't bother. » Sujin tried to persuade me, smiling.

 

I sighed, taking some patience with me. « You're lucky I'm not working on the 21th of marc- »

 

I suddenly became livid. This date. The 21th of march ... It was a special date, it  was my anniversary of marriage. I just realized it by saying the date out loud. Sujin grabbed my waist. « YongGuk you're okay ? You became pale out of sudden. »

 

As I tossed her hand away, Sujin gasped. « Yeah don't worry. I'm fine. I … need some time alone okay ? »

 

She looked at me, unsure of what to do. «I'll be drawing then. I have some work to finish. »  I looked at her enter her drawing room and entered my office.

 

How was that even possible ? Out of the 365 days of the year how could her birthday be the same date as my anniversary of marriage ? This was insolent.

I searched though my drawer and found the photo. I had tons of photos of this day. My wedding. It was a magical day. Hana was glowing. I scoffed once more at our group photo. Her bestfriend Boyoung was one of her bridemaids. What an irony.

 

I was staring at the photo for a long time. Thinking about her. How could she leave without her daughter ?  It would have killed me but was she really a mom ? She didn't even try to contact me after that. Did she hate children this much ? Did she hate the idea of having a child of me this much ?

 

I sighed loudly and some mouvements behind the doors catched my attention. I could see some feets quietly resting , toes peeking though the little gap between the door and the floor. It was Sujin. As I expected her to knock the door, I stored the photo away and rearrange my desk to make it look like I worked a bit.

 

As I looked back, the shadows weren't here anymore. She left. She didn't even dare to open the door. Gosh. I left the room and came to our bedroom. The lights were turned off and Sujin was already in bed.

 

« Sujin ? »

 

I said, trying to know if she was sleepy. I turned our lamp on and she turned herself to me.

 

« Sorry about earlier. » I said.

 

« Oh this ? It's okay. Let's just sleep, huh  ? » She said gently, patting my pillow so I would lie down with her.

 

« You can ask me okay ? It's just that I - »

 

She covered my mouth with her hands. «I said it's okay. Unless it's going to make you feel better and not uncomfortable, do no say it. You can have secrets. »

 

I nodded ashamed. She pecked my lips and I stared at her in total incomprehension. « How can you be this tolerant ? I feel like I'm so much trouble to you. »

 

She had a giggle. « I'm patient. »

 

I blushed hard to this sentence and cleared my throat. « Okay goodnight. »

 

The next morning, I looked at Sujin draw. She was clear. She didn't want any celebration and hinted that she didn't even want a gift. But, gosh how was I supposed to do that ? I would like to shower her with presents but got the formal interdiction to do so. She was really concentrated into colouring that background of the drawing. It was usually her work. She could draw amazing pieces of art and her studio just give her backgrounds to fill in with colors.

 

As I sighed, she looked at me with interest. «Sorry but I needed to finish that and sent it to the office. I'm almost done."

 

As she sent her email, she suddenly looked at the hour. « Oh I have a surprise for you. Get dressed. Casually. »

 

I nodded, and went to change myself ready. She smiled waiting at the door when she saw me ready.

 

« Where are we going ? » I said, not loving her mischevious smile.

 

« You'll see when we'll get there. »

 

We took the bus to get in a trendy place and walked ten more minutes. « Wait you're not going to make me meet your parents ? »

 

« Hey, it's a nice surprise. » She said, frowning.

 

She stopped herself in front of a shop really cute and I smiled. « What is this ? »

 

She entered and lead me inside.

« Oh Sujin what are you doing here it's been a while ? » The guy behing the counter said. They chatted a bit and soon he  gave us aprons, leaving me in confusion. « We're getting baking lesson ? »

 

She bursted in laughs and finally opened the door of the work place. « Pottery. We're going to do pottery this afternoon. »

 

I widened my eyes. This atelier smelled nice. The whole atmosphere was relaxing.

 

« Ever did this before ? » She asked, closing back the doors.

 

I shook my head and looked at Sujin turn on the mecanism. I sat next to her and she casually explained to me the process. She setted up the clay and stayed by my side as I tried to make a round shape out of it. Itit was relaxing. The sensation of the clay on the fingers was nice. The whole experience of it was nice. Sujin looked over my shoulder to supervise me. Then when she felt I could handle it alone, she her own clay stand and I looked at her manipulate the clay with extreme delicate attention and expert hands. Her clay already had a nice shape.

 

«You're so talented. » I complimented her, looking at my disformated clay.

 

She laughed and shook her head. « You're good for a debutant. Do you even know why I brought you here ? »

 

I shrugged. « Doing something as a couple ? »

 

« You have a stressful job. And don't have a hobby as I see it. So you need that connexion to the earth and nature to stay put together. Pottery is all about patience and relaxation. I felt like it could help you a lot. »

 

I smiled, as always Sujin little initiatives for me were heartwarming. « I like it. »

 

« I'm glad you do. To be honest,  I was afraid you found it boring. »

 

After that, we stayed silent, unless for the few instructions she gave me, we were in a comfortable silence. Time not getting spent here. Soon, the door opened.

 

« Hey Sujin I like you very much, but I would like to close my atelier. » Her friend explained, a bit conflicted about asking us to leave.

 

« Oh  HyunBin, sorrry, we'll wash up and leave !! Give us 10 minutes. »

 

We took time to wash our hands and remove our apron. Sujin thanked her friend and we got outside. I got surprised of that the night already fall. Sujin giggled seeing my puzzled face.

 

« I didn't realize that it was so late. What about the girls ? » I finally came back to reality.

 

« I asked Soyeon to come and baysit them. By experience I knew that it was necessary. »

 

As we get back home I looked at my hands. I felt good. The clay felt my hands soft and with a faint scent. Making something out of my hands felt deliciously good. «I had a really nice time there thanks. »

I hugged her waist and we kissed in a dark alley, trying not to raise attention on us. As we stopped a steamy kiss, Sujin grabbed my shirt. «We'll do it once a week okay ? Pottery together »

 

«Only once a week ? » I pouted. I wouldn't mind doing pottery with Sujin on a daily basis.

 

« Whenever you want and can but at least once a week. » Sujin explained nicely. I smiled. This was a way better schedule for me.

 

 


Here you are new chapter !!