September : Seo Kang Joon

Life Is A Puzzle

Bang YongGuk, first day of july, waking up to a female voice.

I woke up with a hand shaking me. « Mister Bang, wake up. »

I opened my eyes and gasped in shock seeing Sujin standing up next to me. I quickly realized I wasn't home and panicked. « Taeyang ? »

SuJin smiled and spoke with a soft tone. « She's getting ready for school. My babysitter is going to drop them in half an hour minutes. I just wanted to wake you up for work. »

 

I groaned and looked at the balnket over my body. I had a nice night of sleep. « I'll take a day off. »

 

« Really ? » She asked, going to her kitchen.

 

« Yeah, I'm too wasted to do anything. » I said honestly. I wasn't twenty anymore and yesterday night I drunk a huge amount of wine. I looked at the perfectly showered and woke up lady in the kitchen and sighed. I felt grumpy now.

 

She waved to me. « Come there and eat breakfast then. »

 

« Hmm maybe I disturbed you enough I mean ... » I looked at the forgotten tie on the table and took it in my hands with shame. Me and my hate of neckties.

 

She shrugged, apparently really relaxed about what happened last night.. « It's okay you can eat with me, Mister Bang. »

 

I suddenly frowned at this and was confused.Why was I feeling like this ? I suddenly realized why, having a flashback of this exact moment.

« Well, you're not supposed to call me YongGuk, Sujin ? »

 

She lifted the glasses back on her nose and tried to look away. Sujin cleared , losing all composure. « I mean you were drunk so ... »

 

I scoffed. « I still remember well. I said that we should address ourselves less formally and that you're really cute and pretty. »

 

She blushed even more and I realized which words went out of my mouth. I covered it and froze for a bit. We stayed this way for long seconds, the time to gain back some composure. When I didn't feel anymore like a huge red tomato, I walked to her kitchen. I sat in front of her and realized how cute she looked with her pink cheeks and huge glasses. « Don't remove them. » She mumbled, apparently still not at ease.

 

« Huh ? » I asked, oblivious. She seemed really worried about me doing that.

 

« Yesterday night you removed then. I can't see anything without them. » She revealed softly to me. I nodded and took a bite of the food she gave me. It was time to make the uneasiness between us go away.

 

« Are you ever consider operation ? » I asked politely, changing of subject.

 

She pursed her lips. « I had but I'm always delaying the time to go. I took an appointement though with a certain Doctor Ho. »

 

« Doctor Ho ? » I repeated, trying to process why this name was annoying me.

 

« Yeah. His card was somewhere around in one office and I took it. » Sujin explained to me.

 

« Could we show me ? » I asked politely. She gave me a curious look and left to take her purse. After rumbling in it, she found the card. I sighed looking at the man on the ad.« He's a fake doctor. One of our clients got plastic surgery done from him and it was botchered. So cancel that. Can I keep the card ? »

 

She nodded and obediently gave it to me. She stood up and opened the door of the bathroom. « Moonah Taeyang come here, food is ready, or else you'll be late !! »

The little girls arrived in their uniforms, giggling. Taeyang came to hug me and I lifted her off the ground to make her sit on my lap, hoping she couldn't get the wine smell on me.  I gave her a look and noticed her clean uniform, despite being a little too big for her. Sujin noticed my eyes on her and explained herself. 

« Ah I gave to Taeyang a clean uniform of Moon, for one day it'd be fine I guess. But I didn't style her hair. I have no idea how you do your magic.»

 

Taeyang  looked so happy giving me the morning peck, while I was dozing off on the couch she probably had  a proper sleepover with her bestfriend. « Dad you ended up sleeping here ? » She asked curious.

 

« Yeah it happened this way. » I simply said. I was lucky enough she was too little to get that I was completely drunk yesterday night. It rarely happens that I drink. I don't drink alone and I have little amount of persons I would  drink with. My sister and her husband. My bestfriend Himchan. And that's pretty much all.

 

The little girl with hazel eyes clapped in her hands. « You had a pajamas party with Mom ? »

 

I giggled hearing that. « I don't think we can say that. I just slept on the couch .... because I was tired. »

My daughter pouted and put a hand on my forehead, ears and neck before feeling my pulsations on my wrists, imitating the things she saw on TV. « I think you are fine, you can go and said that laws are unconstitutionnal today dad. »

 

I nodded and gave her a soldier army. The girls of the Kim house laughed and I looked at the mom quickly brush her daughter hair. She seemed satisfied with this result. Her daughter snatched away her glasses to put them on. « Don't, your view will decrease. »

 

« Then I'll be wearing big glasses like you. We'll be like twins !!! » The little girl said, strongly convinced of her sentence.

 

Sujin shook her head and pinched the cheek of her daughter. « Twins yeah. Moonah just eat. » We shared a pretty nice meal, just listening to what the girls did yesterday. I'm not a breakfast person but yesterday I didn't have dinner and was actually hungry when I woke up. It's also the reason why I got drunk so fast : because I skipped dinner. So I ate now with appetite. Soon, the babysitter came and Sujin looked at me. « I think Sujeong can handle bringing them to school. »

 

« Ah hmm I guess she can. Is it okay with you Taeyang ? »

 

She nodded and grabbed Moonah hands. « Now I'm going school with my sister. It's so amazing. »

I kissed her forehead and soon they were walking down the stairs, leaving Sujeong behind. I stood up and took my vest. « I think I should grabb some sleep at home. »

*

Bang YongGuk, the 2rd of July, going back to work after a day off.

«  I had something coming up. » I said seeing my bestfriend look at me with a weird face, ready to ask me tons of questions. He entered my office and sat in the chair in fornt of my desk. I had work to catch on yet he was ready to start his investigations.

 

« Huh, your daughter ? She was sick again ? Gosh, what's a delicate and fragile girl.» He said surprised.

I pursed my lips. "No she's healthy."

"So what ?" He asked.

"So what what ?" I said getting annoyed by his behavior.

"Well, you only miss work for your daughter. Your sister was just fine yesterday. So what happened ?"

"I ... had wine with the mother of a classmate of Taeyang. Taeyang went to a sleepover there and I ended up getting drunk."

I blushed furiously and gave him a black look.He widened his eyes and got his chair next to mine. « Gosh YongGuk. You're serious ? You are dating ? » I explained to him the situation and he smiled. «  I think you like her. »

 

« Hmm no ! » I screamed,horrified by this idea.

 

« Really ? I mean you said to her she was pretty and cute and that she took care of your daughter well. She sounds like someone that you would crush on. »

 

I sighed, fair enough, yeah Sujin was a nice person. But one question was really important. « Anyways why would she be interested on me ? »

 

Himchan came to shut my mouth, putting his hand on my mouth. His hand pointed to me in a weird way. « 1m80. Black jet hair. Plump lips. Charming amand eyes. Long legs, Broad shoulder. Loving dad. Brilliant lawyer. Great smile. Generous. And adors kids. I mean who are you kidding ?!!!»

 

I shrugged, thinking back about Hana and Sujin. They were so different. The first one shattered me into pieces, making me unable to even think about love. I hated to think about love matters andbecame greatly annoyed « I don't think I'm worth it really. Let's just stop talking about that. Get out.»

Himchan looked puzzled at my reaction and sat back quietly on the chair. He sighed to calm himself and talked with a soft voice, that I rarely heard of him.  « Listen, how did she take the compliment ? »

 

I froze for a bit thinking about how she reacted. Sometimes, she looked just so innocent with her pink cheeks ... « She blushed. »

 

Himchan clapped in his hands, apparently satisfied with my answer. « Good. I think you flustered her. »

 

I thought back and yeah she seemed pretty sensitive to me and I remember how even this morning she was flustered by the cute compliment. I sighed though. « I dont' know. I don't think I can. »

Himchan stood up and put a hand on my shoulder. We were always together the three of us. Hana, Himchan and YongGuk. When she left, Himchan was also hurt. He thought he was her bestfriend and yet ... This event in our life made us distant. He was my best friend, because I had few of them. And because I hated people company for a while. We shared a meaningful look and he finally spoke out.

 

« YongGuk. You have to move on. You can't let Hana ruin your life anymore. She's gone. FINE. The girl you're talking me about she's cute, she's a good mom and she's a quiet person. Jump on the occasion. I'll let you think of this alone."

He left the room and I stayed still for a while. Thinking about Hana. I took my phone and opened the instagram app. I searched for her user account and looked at her recent photos. She still looked beautiful. Always beautiful. I scrolled the pictures for a while until my eyes found a familiar person. I closed the app and took a deep breath.

Yes, she ruined my life. Yet does someone had to glue back my shattered pieces together ? No. no and again no. An absolute no.

 

I shook my head. I wasn't worth that. Opening my drawer, I stared at my depression pills and anxiety ones. Nope. I ended up taking a pill for anxiety and went back to work. I spent 7 years without love. I can survive the later years the same way.  I looked at the gorgeous photo of Taeyang on my desk and had a little smile.

Being a dad is fulfilling.

 

*

Kim Sujin, 4th of september, in front of her building with Kang Joon.

I looked at my ex doing his usual set up to seduce me. His retro car parked in front of the buidling. His sunkissed skin fron the hot sun of the Indien Ocean, highlighted by a deep v-cut shirt and a fresh haircut. His hazel  eyes lightened up as he saw me.  I smiled, we exchanged very angry emails. I insisted for him to come so Moonah would stop pestering me about him. Then, I stopped all form of communication and as always it was the trick for him to finally book his flight and to see his annoying pretty boy face in front of me. But if that can make my daughter happy ... I'll do that every time it's necessary.

He ran a hand in his hair as I walked to him and handed me roses when I was next to him. I accepted with a frown. « She prefers tulips. »

 

Seo Kang Joon looked puzzled for a while. His hazel eyes caught the light, making them the warm color of caramel. The jerk was still handsome and innocent looking. « Who ? »

 

I smircked. « Your daughter. You know, Kim Moonah ? »

 

He sighed. « Listen I've been struggling to get  some days off  to see both of you. You're not happy?! »

 

I gave him a huge smile. « Moonah will compensate my lack of joy for your presence here. »

 

He looked a little bit upset about me not byuing his set up and I walked back to the door of the building, he followed me, almost as if I would let him enter my home. « Wait for me !!! »

 

I turned around, too happy to break his mood. I pushed him away from the stairs and explained myself.  « You are authorized here only when the single link we have together is here. And it happened that this person is not there. »

My former boyfriend sighed and bite his lip. I rolled my eyes at his pretty boy attitude. How could I even fall for that ? I was a dumb young lady. He seemed annoyed by my behavior and spoke out.  « I forgot how petty you are. »

 

I crossed my arms and looked seriously at him. « Go pick her up at school. She'll be happy to see you. »

 

His sigh antensified, he seemed reticent to that idea so I insisted. « Please, she'll be really really happy to see you. She's your daughter, she basically workship you, please do this for me. »

 

I was now begging of him, joining my hands in hope he would agree. « Hmm okay, okay. I only have two questions. Where is her school ? ...."

Seo Kang Joon gulped and I looked at his now embarassed face, now annoyed by his behavior. "And ? The second question ?"

He closed his eyes like a kid going to be hit and spoke really fast.  "could you show me a picture of her ? »

 

I breathed out slowly, not trying to get vexed by this question.  He saw her last year and proved to me that sending him photos of Moonah by email was useless. I thought about Moonah that stared at his pictures for hours and could tell me by heart the location of his beauty marks. Life was unfair for her.

  After briefly showing him the school location and the most recent pic I had of our daughter,  I waited there for him to hop on his car and suddenly ran to him, to give him basic warnings. « Drive carefully. Not too fast. Remember to fasten her seat belt. »

 

He rolled his eyes and went away.

 

When my daughter came back hours later holding her dad hands, I grinned to her. She must have been so happy. I wanted to give them some time to bond together and alone. It was angelic. Then, my ex rumbled into his bag trying to find her gift. « It's for you. »

 

I looked over her shoulder and grimaced. Again. « Dad is it a book about sharks ? »

 

« Yeah, so you can learn more about sharks and their marvellous body. Cool right ? »

 

Moonah froze for a while and tried to smile. I looked at him and shook my head. She can't even confess to him that she's afraid of sharks and hate them, because she would hate to deceive him.  « Thanks dad.»

 

I cleared my throat, again. Kang Joon knew nothing better than giving her a encyclopedia about sharks. She catched back her joy, putting the book on the table. « Can we eat fried chicken tonight ? The two of us ? »

Kang Joon gave me a look, searching for my approval and as I  nodded and he ruffled her hair. "Let's go Moonah !!! Fried chicken !"

"Fried chicken with dad ! Yeah !" Moonah shouted out of joy, jumping around to express her excitement. I couldn't help but grin at her behavior. All imperfect that Kang Joon was, he provided joy to my precious daughter.

As they exited the house, I wished them goodbye. I gave back basic warning to Wonho « Don't drink tonight. Just eat. Stay sober and drive carefully. »

He added. "And fasten her seatbelt. You told me already."

I gave him a look of warning. I knew perfectly that the only adult out of the three of us was me. "Don't come back too late. Moonah has school tomorrow."



The fifth chapter and second apparition of Kang Joon. You all must be curious about what happened with Hana and YongGuk ? It'd be revealed in next chapters , just keep reading ;)

 

Thanks again for reading this story !