November : Pretty Woman

Life Is A Puzzle

Bang YongGuk, at the law firm, the 14th of november

Today I had a meeting with the others lawyers of the firm. My sister was the team leader yet I had to organize a few things and as the meeting started, I put my notebook on the table. We were discussing things when I opened my notebook and bursted in laughters. Everyone stopped to talk and looked at me as if I was mad. I got a hold of myself. « Sorry. I don't have my notes. Instead I have my girlfriend drawing. »

Sujin loved to buy notebooks with such fervor. They were cheap and she needed them so she had a huge collection. Recently she started to buy two of the same notebook : one for herself and one for me. It was a little couple thing that she did. I smiled while flipping the pages of her notebook full of drawings.

My sister nodded with an half amused smile. « Okay. So let's postpone our meeting to tomorrow. It's not urgent. I would like you to have your real notes this time. Dismiss. »

Himchan looked at me as if I was crazy and left the room shaking his head. My sister snached the notebook from me to look at it. « Whaouh, she's gifted. »

 

She ended up looking at the drawing of me with her YongMin and chuckled. « She can capture the moment for sure. Did she ever think of exposing her drawings and paintings ? »

 

« I don't know. »

"She should think about it." YongMi said, touching with her fingers the drawing of her baby.

*

 

I called Sujin. She didn't answer and I sighed, obvious she must be colouring some pages for the webtoon artist she works for. As I texted her to call me back, I received her call right away. I told her about the meeting event and she didn't laugh as I thought she would.

« Oh gosh I'm sorry. I surely mixed and matched them, oh gosh what should I do ? » Sujin replied very fast.

 

« It's nothing I'll just grab it home. » I said. The meeting wasn't urgent. I just had to make sure I had it tomorrow

 

She gasped in horror. « Oh I have it, it's in my bag. It's full of writing and penal code articles. »

 

« Definitely mine then. Make sure to bring them back home so I can have them by tomorrow. »

 

« NO !!!! I'll come deliver that to you !! I'm already getting down, don't worry. I'll be here in twenty minutes. » She insisted and ended abrutly the call.

 

Now I was waiting in my office for my girlfriend. I looked at the invitations I went to buy this morning and smiled. She had sense of timing.

 

*

Kim Sujin, entering the law firm building

I got in the ascensor and checked my outfit. For once, I was presentable. I had some basic shirt and a jeans with a nice cardigan. Casual but nice. I got to the desk and suddenly got shy, looking at the pretty woman at the welcoming desk. « How can I help you Miss ? »

 

I cleared my throat.  She blinked and I had an awkward smile. « I'm here to see Yo- ah hmm I mean .... Lawyer Bang. »

 

« You have an appointement with which one ? » She asked to me with a smile.

 

I froze for a second and blushed. « Hmm, I don't have an appointement I just have to give him back something ... »

 

« Gosh who's that pretty lady in white knit cardigan ? » I heard from the stairs. I looked at YongGuk run to me with a smile. "Thanks Jihyun, she's my guest I'll take care of her."

He lead me to the stairs and I shoved his notebook in his palms with a blush. « You're not embarassed to do such things in front of employees ? »

 

YongGuk shook his head and boldly  pecked my cheek. « Ya YongGuk we're in your work place !! » I mumbled, trying not be loud.

 

Chuckles left his mouth  and I narrowed my eyes looking at him. « You little brat. »

 

« You're fond of me. »

 

As he said that, he opened the doors of the third floor and lead me to his office. Gosh, it was nice. A minimalist theme, with grey as theme. I smiled. « You have a nice office. »

 

« Ohh thanks. Sit on the couch, we'll have some coffee okay, I'll make some. Oh I don't have any latte. Wait for me, I'm going to ask Himchan. »

 

I nodded and waited for him to come back with the coffee, I looked at the amazing view he had from the window and gasped like a child. I sat up on his desk chair and make it turn. I giggled as I did this. He came in and looked at me with a grin. «So who's the little brat now ? »

 

He came to hover me and kissed my kips. Softly and sweetly. I pushed him back and we finally set on the couch to have coffee. We had a chitchat over his coffee when he suddenly got closer to me. I sighed. His eyes were too playful for him to have innocent intentions.  « What are you trying to do ? »

 

« Relax a bit before diving back into work. » He stated, sipping his extra black coffee. I sighed and ran a hand on his forehead. « Is it still stressful ? »

 

«It's less intimidating, because I know that now when I come home, I have you waiting up for me. And I take dinner and breakfast with you. Did I mention we now share a bed ? »

 

I lightly pinched his cheek. « Someone could hear you. »

 

He looked around and came to whisper in her ear. « Sometimes we even take shower together. »

 

*

Bang YongGuk

 

Sujin laughed out loud and crashed a peck on my cheek. « You crazy little thing. »

 

The door suddenly opened violently « YongGuk did you come into my office while I was out to sneak my latte ? You moron, you don't even drink it. »

 

Himchan stopped himself looking at the woman sat in front of me. Both looked at each other with surprise and embarassement. Himchan cleared his throat and extended his hand. « You must be Sujin-sshi ? »

 

« Ah yes you are … ? » Sujin asked, shy.

 

« Kim Himchan, YongGuk's old friend. » He explained, with a shy smile. Sujin smiled back to him and shook his hand. « Nice to meet you. »

 

«I was your drawings earlier. You're really gifted. » Himchan said with a smile. He was doing efforts.

 

Sujin blushed. « Oh that's nice of you, I'm not really talented just hmm thanks. »

 

Himchan came to sit next to me, looking at Sujin with precision. Her huge glasses. Amand eyes. Her casual clothes. Hana was fancy. Always put together, as if she was attending some fancy event on a daily basis. She took a lot of pride into looking pretty. Sujin loved makeup for sure but  was too lazy to apply it on a daily basis. She loved cozy clothes she could draw in all day.

In other words, day and night.

 

« So are you coming for YongGuk birthday next month ? » Himchan asked. I gave a furious look to my supposed best friend. He destroyed the surprise.

 

Sujin blinked twice and looked at me in confusion. I explained myself. « The office is organizing a little party for my birthday next month. It'd be boring and formal. Would you come ? »

 

She considered the thing. « Do you want me to come ? »

 

I nodded and she smiled. « Then, I'll be happy to come. « 

 

Himchan left us. I was glad he did an effort to speak a bit with Sujin while having a coffee with her. I guess he was demonizing her in his head without even realizing. Sujin was really a fluffy cottoncandy and this could be seen on her face. She was drawing on my couch, while I was working on my oratio for next week in an asbolute yet comfortable silence. I looked at Sujin casually crossing her leg on my office couch, drawing with frenetic movements in her notebook. I was distracted. Way more than her. She suddenly caught me staring at her and blushed. To hide her discomfort she readjusted her glasses on the top of her nose.

 

« You have a lot concentration » Sujin said, trying to be sassy despite the blush invading her cheeks.

 

« The fact that you're here on my couch is distracting me. » I justified myself. It was the first time she even came in my personnal office or even to my law firm. It felt nice to have her here.

 

« What are you ? A ten years old boy ? »

 

I stood up and closed my notebook « Let's go home. I 'm tired to work on that case. I'm hungry !»

 

*

 

Sujin looked at me drive with an soft smile. She caressed my hair gently, her fingers tickling my neck for a second. «  You'll be 29 ? »

 

I nodded. « Yeah on the 31st of november …  I never brought someone to the company party and I thought that this year if you would agree you'll be my special guest. But Himchan asked before I had the chance to."

 

"Look into my bag. I have your invitation." I told her. After several failed instructions and laughters, she finally read her invitation card. She read with soft chuckles and kissed my cheek in a soft motion. « I'll be here. »

 

« But you can't come in joggings, we have a special dresscode, like really fancy dress and stuffs, I'll pay yours, they are always so expensive. »

 

She blushed. « But really ? Like in Pretty Woman ? »

 

I nodded with a chuckle, the song popping in my mind. She sighed. « Thanks you a lot. »

 

*

Kim Sujin, the 20st of november, on the way to Busan department store with YongGuk

 

YongGuk left his office a little bit early so we could look around for a suitable dress. I had no idea what to wear and as he was paying it felt normal to let him have a say on it. We walked to some shops and seeing the shop I stopped him. « You're not buying me a balenciaga dress YongGuk, I won't live enough to rentabilize this gift !»

 

He groaned. « Look how pretty it is. You would look awesome in there. »

 

I blushed. « Gosh YongGuk I don't want you to spent a dress that represents my monthly wage.  »

 

He sighed. « I told you I'll be offering you the dress. »

 

I blushed. « But it doesn't mean I'm letting you pay this amount for me when it's your birthday. What about renting a dress ? It'd be so less  expensive !!! I know of a nice shop in Busan. »

 

He looked a little bit annoyed and looked at me with patience. "Okay let's go there."

I clapped in my hand and we exited the department store for the road. I lead him to the shopping city and soon we arrived to the store I wanted to stop by. We entered and I started to check  the prices and the fancy dresses  were so less expensive. His eyes fell on a dress, and I gasped. It looked so beautiful. I had picked up some other dresses yet tossed them away. He sat quietly in front of my cabin and I slipped on the dress he chose for me. « Oh I can't reach the zip, would you ? »

 

He entered and zipped up the dress. We both looked at the result in the mirror. It looked nice. The dress made my average chest pop in a gorgeous way, pinned my waist just right and ended up lacey above my knees. YongGuk smiled. « You look nice. »

 

He wandered his hands around my waist and chuckled seeing the bluish love bite of him on my skin. « Okay so I'll need to go gentle on the bitemarks. This dress reduce considerably my bitemarks zone. »

 

I poked his shoulder, embarassed now, seeing the saleswoman laugh. He gave me a big smile. « You like it ? »

 

« Let her try it with heels. » The saleswoman said, shoving heels in my hands. I put them in and looked at the results, walking. I liked the way I look. Smiling gently, I sent a thumbs up to YongGuk.

 

« We'll take this one for you, go and change yourself, darling. »

I came back to his side, and he gave me the bag, making me red as a tomato. He paid when I was in the dressing room and ended up buying the dress instead of renting it.

"YongGuk, you wasted money. You don't go into a renting store and buy a dress !!!".

 He chuckled and I realized that I was the cause of his chuckles. « You're cute my little money freak.»

 

I blushed. « I just, I mean, it's just a waste of money. I'll just be wearing it once, I would have wash it by hands and then give it back to the store. »

 

He laughed. « I know. But I really wanted to give you that dress. » I nodded and soon he lead me back to th department store, the car being parked there. As we walked into the mall YongGuk dragged me to the first floor.   «Now it's time to buy you a new coat. »

 

I looked at the Chanel coat and smiled.  "Haha ha, very funny, now let's go home."

YongGuk stopped me to go away and sighed. « I let you choose a reasonnably priced dress. Now let me offer a nice coat, okay. Or else we're not playing it the Pretty Woman way. »

 

« YongGuk, look at the amount of zeros, no !! » I protested. This was surreal.

 

« Do you like it ? » He asked.

 

« I mean it' pretty but it's not the question here !! I don't need that. » I said to him, very serious about my words.

 

We stared at each others for a long time. He looked annoyed, once again. I tried to soften my tone. «YongGuk you already gave me a dress and I'm so thanksful for that. It's enough for today. »

 

He sighed. « Let's have a coffee and talk over it. »

 

He lead me to an intimate coffee shop and when our coffee arrived in luxurious mugs, he took his deep breath. « Your coat is damaged. I just want to replace it. We're already here and I saw a beautiful coat. Let me pay that for you. »

 

I shook with vigor my head. « I don't want to.I just all this money on a single coat ? YongGuk this really makes me feel awkward. I don't know how to … I mean I could never buy you a Chanel coat and so I don't want you to buy one for me.»

 

« I'm not expecting you to give me one. This is a genious gift. I want to buy it because you needed one. You think I never noticed how used up your clothes are while doing laundry ? Only Moonah gets the pretty dresses. »

 

I became livid and lowered my head hands tensed on my mug, hot enough to burn my palms.. «You don't even spend a dime on yourself. So when I washed your old coat,I found it so bad that I plan to buy a new one. »

 

I looked at my plain dark coat. Yeah, it wasn't in the best condition. If years ago it was pitch black, now it was a weird grey black color. But I've learned to embrace the effects of time on this coat. This idea YongGuk looked at this coat and found it bad made me felt so sick inside.

« So you're ashamed of me ? » I asked, pained by the revelation. Of course. I looked at his perfectly wrinkle-free coat, from the new Armani collection resting on the chair next to him.

 

« No, don't misunderstand me I'm sorry if I sounded hurtful. I just want you to have nice things. Like you want Moonah to have nice things. I'll offer you this coat with pleasure. I've restrained myself until now. But now I would like to make you presents comfortably, it's been over one year we're together Sujin. You can forbid me to buy you stuffs forever. »

 

I stayed silent, eyes on my coffee mug. I was now sad. YongGuk raise my head. « Hey say something. It worries me. »

 

« This coat I got it from my sister. She gave me this one ten years ago when she left the house to become a nun. At first, I complained to my parents : why couldn't I have brand new clothes ? Then, I learned that I was pregnant and my whole life changed. I never asked myself if it was damaged or not. I just wore it.  »

 

« Sujin I'm sorry I just wanted to offer you a new coat. I was too pushy with you, I excuse myself for that. » YongGuk said gently. "I'm deeply sorry."

 

I stayed here, frozen looking at my coffee get cold. I was trying to keep my tears to myself. Soon, YongGuk lost patience, he was going to speak and interrupted himself. « Sujin, you're crying ? » His tone was soft, almost a whisper. He couldn't believe it.

 

He reached for my hand and I quickly stood up, getting a step away from him, making his eyes widen in fear. « I'm going to refresh myself. » I mumbled.

 



The theme of money hap to pop up one day or another.

Enjoy !