May 2009 : The accidental proposal

Life Is A Puzzle

She pushed me outside the office, afraid we'd end up getting racy on my spacious couch. We drove back to the house, exhausted but happy. car and we walked to the house. As she opened the door and almost entered I dragged her back to me and kissed her forehead.

« It makes me really happy that you came. You said yes without any hesitation. » I thanked her in a good mood.

 

She smiled. « Well, I made a scene learning that your parents would be here but I spent a nice evening, thanks for invinting me. »

 

I laughed and kissed her slowly in front of our house. Soon enough, we entered the house and found SeJeong studying on our living room table. She greeted us and I looked at Sujin gave her a box with some letfover cake. The teenager thanked her, looking at the piece of cake with a smile.  I paid the babysitter and insisted to drive her back to her house while Sujin stayed home. Sejeong suddenly remembered of something. "Tomorrow; please, sleep in. I can't say much it's a surprise."

"Ah thanks for telling me."


 

She giggled and as I dropped her home, I smiled. Sejong was a nice high school girl with big dreams and pressure from school yet she still helped the girls.

I came back home and found Sujin sat on the bed. "What are you doing here ? Still in this dress ?"

She stood up and turned around. "You thought I'm able to remove that alone ?" I zipped down the dress and finally set her free. Suddenly, I gasped. "How come you don't have any bra, don't tell me you went to my party without any bra ?!!!"

She laughed while hugging me, making our chest touch each other, the only tissue between them being my shirt. I gulped as she kissed my ear. "Those kind of dresses have integrated bra thing." She made my necktie fly around in the room and Soon I couldn't bare it anymore. I lifted her legs so they would cross around my waist and looked at the face of Sujin. She kissed me softly, tenderly. As If she had all the time of the world to cuddle me.

*

 

Next morning, Taeyang jumped in my arms happy birthday on repeat, jumping on our bed. Moonah jumped around me and soon shoved a Happy Birthday hat on the head. I laughed and hugged both of them. I let them lead the day as we sat on the table in Taeyang room she gave us cake and sparkling grape juice, we had such a good time. We were laughing over the concert they were offering us and soon, we clapped hard. Taeyang came to me and handed me a gift. « It's for you dad. »

 

I teared the paper away, taking my time. I was surprised to see a collection of colorful pens. « You need to write in different colors. Like blue and pink and orange. So Sujin and I bought you this !! »

 

I looked at my new pens and kissed my daughter cheek. « Thanks you my love. » I hugged her tighly, loving her giggles. I wasn't a big fan of my birthdays. It was a gloomy day after Hana left. Then, Taeyang growing she always made a huge fuss of my birthday. Waking me up singging happy birthday, giving me handmade gifts. She joined a drawing of all of us in a frame of alphabet pasta.

 

Moonah looked at us and came to me with a little blush. « I made heart-shaped coconut cookies with Mom. »

I widened my eyes ; Taeyang was allergic and my passion for coconut was restrained from that ; Moonah loved it too and I felt touched by her gesture. « You can bring it to your office, so when you'll hungry you'll eat it. »

 

I ruffled her hair and ended up giving her a hug. I looked at Sujin that was prepping the ice cream cake. They sang happy birthday to me and I felt overwhelmed with giddiness. I blowed on the candles and clapped. I felt like a child, Sujin ate next to me.  We took plenty of photos. Wanting to memorize this memory as family. We put the girls in their beds and soon it was only the two of us. Sujin and me. I smiled as she pecked my lips. We settled on the couch, in matching pyjamas, drinking an infusion.

 

As we looked at a documentary about babies, there was a premature baby onn screen. The baby was tiny and breathing with so much effort.The mom was crying a bit in the hall, taking a rest in taking care of her baby. I looked at Sujin and gasped as I saw how pale she looked. « Hey are you okay ? »

 

*

Kim Sujin

 

I gasped as  I felt strong arms around me. Yet I pulled away. « It's okay. I just seeing all of that once again. » YongGuk changed the channel and I groaned. « I want to see the end. »

He executed himself yet I could feel his eyes on me.  « YongGuk stop staring at me like that, watch the damn documentary. »

 

He rested his hand on MY shoulder and pecked my cheek before really giving his attention to the TV show. « I can't imagine how hard it was. The baby look so small and vulnerable. And you were alone. »

 

« Yeah. Wasn't the best period of my life. »

We stayed silent and watched the documentary until the end. There was suddenly a time swap of one year in the documentary. The parents opened the door to the production, one year after the baby was born, showing a healthy baby moving around, laughing. I smiled and YongGuk kissed my cheek. He lifted me and I pinned my legs around his waist, a real koala on a branch. He chuckled softly, walking to our room, we ended up playing around like kids. He made me spin so much I became dizzy, laughing as if there was no tomorrow. As he stopped himself dizzy, we looked at each others, I had my legs around his waist and my arms around his neck ; he was holding me with his large and strong hands. I felt his breath tickle my skin and kissed his lips.

 

« Making someone this happy, I don't think I manage to do this before. I feel important and happy when you're this smiley. » I pecked his lips and he put me back on the floor, dragging me in a crazy dance. It was way past midnight and I smiled. « Not your birthday anymore. »

« Not sad about this. Everyday is a nice one with you. » He whispered in my ear, making me giggle.

Our kids were sleeping upstairs yet we were dancing like crazy without music, and laughing.

 

*

 

22nd May 2009

 

« Why don't you marry her ? » My mom said as we met for lunch. She was just back from Greece after three months of vacation there. Mom found herself a liking into traveling and particulary Greece. She would go often there to visit and hang out. She loved Sujin so much, asking questions about her all the time. She came to house  to celebrate Chrismas. Moonah was fond of her. Always sitting on her lap to get attention. Sujin explained to me that her mom wasn't a warm person and Kang Joon mom was too absent making Moonah unable to become close to her.

She expressed how  touched she felt seeing my mom getting so excited to meet Moonah, how a complete stranger seemed to love her already. Just like that, I know she grew fond of my mom.

I was sipping my water and had trouble swallowing that. I looked at her and she was serious. « You live in the same house, you love each others, your kids get along, why didn't you propose to her ? »

 

« I mean ... I never thought of this. We're good as we are. » I was too busy with our life to think about this. And after all, my first marriage was such a fail that for me it felt logic that it would be my only marriage.

 

She pouted lightly, unsatisfied by my answer.. « But, think about custody and all those things. I would hate it if someday Moonah dad comes along and move her to Australia. »

 

I stayed silent a moment. This required a lot of talking before actually getting married. About our kids. I shrugged, thing that alarmed my mother. « Wait you don't want to marry her ? »

 

My eyes widen. « I would love to. »

 

Her smile came back. « Then, think about what I've told you. I would love to have her as my daughter in law and your family would be official ! »

 

I stood up to pay and my mom looked at me with an amused face. « I know I made a idea blossom in your head. »

 

I smiled to her and we bid goodbye as I went back to work. I stayed until late. Feeling like thinking about what mom told me. I never thought of this. I stared at the sunset in front of me and smiled. I didn't know how many compliments I got from this painting. It always make me happy to see people care about my woman art.

 

As I came back home, Sujin was back, cooking in the kitchen. I came to hug her waist. « You cooked ? »

 

« Yeah ! »

 

She smiled brightly and I looked at her sincere smile. What will our life be if we married ? I figured out it will only be the same. Living together made us look like a married couple and usually people that see the four of us indentify us as family. After our meal, we were lying on our bed. I looked at her read her book and smiled to her. « Sujin, I love you. »

 

She blushed in a millisecond. « I love you too. »

 

I smiled as she looked away, shy. « Would you like to marry me ? » I blurted out like this. Damn, I wasn't supposed to say that outloud right now …

 

« Huh ? » She was now red as a tomato. « Hmm, but why I mean I thought we were ... »

 

« Gosh I'm sorry I just felt curious you know ? I know we're in bed ready to sleep and I have no ring or flowers. The question just left my mouth. I feel like we are already a married couple but I would like to officialize it.  I would understand if you decide not to answer. »

 

She nodded for a second and stared at the mattress for a while. I lost my smile. She didn't want to. And didn't know how to say it. I heard sobbs and became pale all of sudden. My eyes found a sad view, Sujin was sobbing, tears b her eyes. « Don't look. »

 

« Hey forget that. That cursed mouth of mine. I'm sorry to push you like this. We can keep going like this. There no problem with me. » I tried to reassure her. Marriage was definitely not for me.

 

She raise her eyes. «I do want to. Just ... you took me by surprise !!!  I forgot about getting married when I left Kang Joon. I feel so emotional, sorry. »

 

Confusion was obvious on my face as she giggled, wiping her tears, her lips brushed my cheeks and soon she was hugging me, sobbs still making her shake. I sighed and tried to make her look at me. She stayed still. «I hate people witnessing me crying. I find this so embarassing... »

 

« I would like my future wife to feel comfortable around me. I cry around you. » I nagged her gently. I felt more at ease now, knowing that we were still on the same road.

 

« But what you expect me to do if you arrive like this and ask me to marry you out of the blue ? » Sujin said amused by the situation. We were in one of our matching pajamas, ready to put some sheet mask on and chat about our day.

 

Chuckles left my laughs and she finally broke the hug, pouting at me. I grinned and said with a low voice : «Shoud I excuse myself ? »

 

Her giggles ended up making me laugh and we laughed in this hug, tears still b her eyes. «Just be a good husband. »

 

I shook her hand as if we signed an agreement. « I'll be a great husband. You'll be able to bragg about me don't worry. »

 

« I'll be Taeyang stepmom ? » She smiled in a way that made me feel warm.

 

«Is it the first thing you'll thinking about ? » I said, positively surprised of her thinking.

 

She giggled. « You said nothing will change between us, but with the girls, it'd feel more like a family. » Suddenly she smiled. « I have to let my hair grow for the wedding. »

 

I frowned, twisting a strand of her hair in my fingers. « Why ? You want to have long hair for the photos ? I love your short hair. »

 

She shook her head. « I made that promise to my dad when I was a little girl. I can't disappoint him. Not like this. »

 

 

*

 

Kim Sujin, 30st of may 2009

 

 

« Moonah, Taeyang !!!  » Their hair was a mess. Wrickled clothes and tears stained cheeks. Taeyang was still red from anger and Moonah still red from crying. I came to pick them from school and didn't expect this to happen. « They say we are weird. »

 

I kneeled and welcomed them in my embrace. « Gosh, what happened ? Moonah ? Taeyang ? »

« They said it's weird. That we are not real sisters. Mi Hyun said that Moonah was pitiful because she doesn't have any dad. That you were a . »

 

I gasped hearing that word from Taeyang. I looked at the parents around us gossiping. « It's true she doesn't have a dad, she's stealing Taeyang dad. » A child said. I gulped and grabbed both of their hand. « Let's go. »

 

Moonah cried while we were in the bus, so much I understood nothing she said despite being her mom I hugged her tighly and gave her some plants based calmants to calm her, and felt relieved when she felt asleep peacefully in the couch. I pecked her forehead and Taeyang came back all clothed, her hair still tangled. « Let me help you. »

We went in the bathroom and I reapplied some conditionner on her long hair, taking my time to detangle it.  «How did you know it was a bad world ? »

 

She shrugged. « I just sensed it. What does it mean ? »

 

I smiled sadly. « You don't have to know. It's a bad world.  Promise me you'll never use it. »

 

She nodded obediently and I could tell she had something else to tell me. «Mi Hyun she also told me that my mom ran away. »

 

I sighed. Kids nowadays. Parents really gossiped a lot about us, I didn't realize until now. or maybe it was our wedding plans that got people gossip that much. I can understand. A single mum getting married to a divorced man whose wife left away because she loved a woman. Gosh it was twisted.

 

I pushed back a strand of her hair behind her ear. I was done rincing her hair and was putting some leave-in conditioner in her long locks. « I don't know much myself. »

 

She pouted disappointed by my answer. I tried to find something to say. « But she gave birth to you, and you're marvellous. You're the prettiest, after Moonah obviously. »

 

She giggled at my silly joke. I hugged her. « Soon, I'll get married to your dad, remember ? »

 

"Yeah. You're going to be my .... mom-in-law." I laughed at this sweet mistake and she corrected herself. "Ha yeah I remember now, you're going to be my stepmom !!"

 

I was shaking as I said that to her. « If you want to, you can call me mom.  And if people tell you that your mom ran away, tell them I'll come to beat their . Okay ? »

 

She nodded eagerly. « Can I really call you Mom ? »

 

« Of course you can, only if you want to, and when you're ready, whenever you want. » I said softly. I didn't want her to feel bothered by this. She hugged me and whispered « Mom » against my chest. I don't know how much strengh it took me to not burst in tears hearing this. I didn't cry. I just held her against my chest for a long time, comforting her after this sad event.

I rememer so well of the day Moonah called me Mom for the first time, I felt so happy. And now, nine years after, I was feeling the same emotion with this little girl. I kissed her forehead and it was this moment YongGuk chose to get upstairs,  with Moonah sleeping in his arms. He dropped her on the bed and came to join us in the bathroom. I realized that maybe I should have ask for his point of view. « I asked Taeyang to call me mom. They got bullied today. Kids heard their parents gossiping. »

 

He widened his eyes. « Are you okay ? » Taeyang nodded as he lifted her in his arms, inspecting her arms and face. « Yeah, because Mom comforted me. »

 

We ate the three of us, Moonah being so tired that I knew she would sleep until her usual nightmare. As Taeyang went to sleep, YongGuk went to her room, asking for the details of the day for sure. I was drawing on my room and I heard stompling feets towards me. « You didn't bother to tell me. »

 

« Oh I'm sorry, really but I just felt that it was the right thing to do. I really love her and I felt that she deserves to call someone mom too. » I tried to justify myself.

 

He became livid. « I was thinking of that kid insulting you. I'm taking measures. There's no way my girls will go to school tomorrow. I'm taking a day off and I'm resolving this problem. »

 

I blushed. « But I'm not offended that easily. Yet I do understand that you want to take action for Taeyang. »

 

He widened his eyes. « What ? You think my heart didn't ache when I saw Moonah sleeping on the couch, tears still in her eyes ? She's such a crybaby, and I won't tolerate anyone that makes her cry. »

 

I nodded realizing how angry he was at the whole situation. He came to hug me. « We're a family. So we stick together. And also .... thanks for letting Taeyang call you Mom. I know she suffers because of her mom. »

 

« I have nothing to teach you. But I feel like you should tell her more about her mom. She's curious. » I said gently. He needed to do that. But I couldn't pressure him to do so.

 

He bite his lips. « But I can't possibly tell her that ... Listen I will have that talk with her, but I need time.»

 

I nodded and kissed his cheek. The sooner the better but I felt that saying more than what I already suggested wasn't possible in my position. I pecked his lips and soon YongGuk kissed my fingers. I laughed. Kissing the engagement ring he gave me last week became his favourite activity.



Enjoy, tomorrow is a holiday in France I'm going to have a quiet day at home it's been so long :O

Have a nice time reading and thanks for sticking with this story !

He stayed silent. « Okay. »