Similarities

I Love You...No You (Daebaek / Hyun family)

Daehyun went home after the kids were gone. His mind was still on Baekhyun and Taehyung as he entered his apartment.

He changed clothes then sat on the couch and pulled out Taehyung's drawing. He looked it carefully.

Everything in it seemed normal. There was Baekhyun and Taehyung standing in front of their house. Taehyung drew trees and the sun. It looked like he and Baekhyun were happy. But then he took a closer look and saw blue dots coming from the eyes of the stick figures. Daehyun realized they were tears. 

He had noticed how sad Taehyung looked when he asked him if he had any siblings or pets. He also didn't have his father. He wondered why Taehyung didn't draw Chanyeol in the picture. He figured Chanyeol would be a part of his life, unless he and Baekhyun were still having problems.

 

Daehyun kept his eyes on Taehyung the next day. He stood in the corner as Baekhyun dropped him off. He watched them carefully. He saw Baekhyun smiling at Taehyung as Taehyung ran off to play with his friends. Daehyun knew Baekhyun's smile and that smile looked like it was a show for his son. Baekhyun didn't look as happy as he remembered him being when they were together.

Daehyun remembered the tears in Taehyung's picture and realized Baekhyun was upset that he lost Chanyeol. Taehyung didn't have a father, he was a single parent. 

He felt bad for Taehyung, having a mother who couldn't commit to one guy. He wasn't really surprised Baekhyun was single, but he hated Taehyung had to suffer because of it.

 

During the day, Daehyun's teaching assistant started reading to the kids. Daehyun stood next to the wall and watched Taehyung as he listened to the story.

The story kept mentioning a father and child. Daehyun saw how Taehyung looked down at his lap whenever the father was mentioned.

Daehyun couldn't stand to see Taehyung upset, so he cut the story off and decided to have the kids do something else.

 

Around eleven, Daehyun and his assistant started handing out snacks to the kids. Daehyun went over to Taehyung, Jungkook and Jimin and handed them their snacks.

The boys took their snacks and juice and started eating. But then Taehyung set his drink aside and didn't touch it.

Daehyun looked at him curiously. 'What's wrong?'

'I don't like grape juice'. Taehyung said.

Daehyun smiled. 'I don't like it either'. He said as he handed Taehyung a different flavor.

Taehyung smiled and went back to eating.

Daehyun saw Baekhyun's rectangle smile in Taehyung's smile. He thought it was cute. 

 

Daehyun went back to his desk to put the snacks away, then started walking around the room to pick up the trash.

His eyes kept going over to Taehyung.

Taehyung had finished his snack and juice and was trying to get the last of Jimin and Jungkook's.

Taehyung stared at the snacks in the boy's hands intently. Jimin and Jungkook pulled their snacks away.

'You already had yours'. Jimin said. 'This is mine'.

But Taehyung wouldn't stop staring at the food.

 

Daehyun went over to the boys before they started fighting.

'What's going on?' He asked.

'TaeTae is trying to eat our snacks'. Jungkook said.

Taehyung looked up at Daehyun with sad eyes. 'I'm still hungry'. He pouted.

'Come here'. Daehyun said as he held his hand out to Taehyung.

Taehyung looked at him confused. He thought he was in trouble.

Daehyun smiled at him. 'It's okay, come on'.

Taehyung stood up and grabbed Daehyun's hand.

Daehyun took him over to his desk and opened the drawer.

Taehyung's eyes lit up at seeing all the snacks that were still there. Daehyun noticed how excited Taehyung got at seeing the food. It reminded him of himself.

Daehyun reached in the drawer and pulled out some more snacks for Taehyung.

'Don't tell anyone'. He whispered and smiled at Taehyung.

Taehyung smiled slyly and nodded at Daehyun. Then he took his treasure to the corner and ate.

 

Daehyun couldn't believe some of the similarities he was seeing between him and Taehyung. As he watched Taehyung, he started getting a weird feeling. He was starting to see some of his own features in Taehyung. He thought it was impossible. Chanyeol told him that he was the father after they took the DNA test. Daehyun figured he was just seeing things. But part of him still had a weird feeling. He wanted to know for sure if he was right about Taehyung.

 

After school, kids were starting to leave. Taehyung was playing with Jimin and Jungkook before they left. Taehyung stared at the door waiting for Baekhyun to show up.

Daehyun when over to Taehyung and kneeled down next to him.

'Come with me'.

'But I'm waiting for eomma'.

'We're just going to go over here'. Daehyun pointed to his desk.

Taehyung followed Daehyun but kept his eyes on the door.

Daehyun pulled a chair next to the desk so Taehyung could sit down.

'Am I in trouble?' Taehyung asked.

'Of course not'. Daehyun smiled. 'You're a great kid'.

'Then, why am I here?'

Daehyun sat down next to him and pulled out Taehyung's drawing.

'I just wanted to ask you about this picture'.

Taehyung looked at Daehyun confused. 

'I was looking at this closer and noticed these dots next to the eyes. What are they?'

Taehyung looked down at his lap. 'Tears'.

'What for?'

'Eomma cries a lot at night'. Taehyung said not taking his eyes off his lap.

'Do you know why?'

Taehyung shook his head. 'But I always hear him after he tucks me in bed'.

Daehyun sighed. 'Taehyung, this isn't my place to ask. You don't have to answer this if you don't want to. But, do you know what happened to your father?'

Taehyung shook his head again. 'I never had one. Only uncles'.

Daehyun put his hand on Taehyung's shoulder. 'I'm sorry, Taehyung. I was just curious. You can go play again'.

'But, everyone is gone'.

Daehyun looked up and saw that the kids were gone. But there was no sign of Baekhyun. Daehyun thought that was weird.

'Where's my eomma?' Taehyung asked as he looked at Daehyun.

'I don't know'. Daehyun shrugged. 'Maybe he's running late'.

Taehyung stood by the door as he waited.

Daehyun saw Taehyung was getting upset, so he grabbed some toys and went over to him.

'Hey, lets play a few games while we wait'.

'Okay'.

 

Daehyun put the toys he had on the floor in front of Taehyung.

'What do you want to play?'

Taehyung looked at the toys. He saw board games, cars, a baseball glove and a baseball, stuffed animals and action figures.

Taehyung picked up the baseball. 'I don't know how to play this'.

Daehyun looked at him confused. 'Your eomma never taught you?'

Taehyung shook his head. 'How do you play?'

Daehyun smiled and grabbed the baseball glove. 'I'll show you'.

Daehyun put the glove on and had Taehyung throw him the ball.

Taehyung smiled when Daehyun caught the ball. 'That's it?'

Daehyun nodded. 'That's it. Easy, right?'

Taehyung nodded as he kept throwing the ball to Daehyun.

 

Time went by as Daehyun and Taehyung kept playing games. Taehyung was running around laughing and having a good time before he heard someone call his name.

'Taehyung!'

Taehyung looked over at the sound of his voice. 

Daehyun looked over at the person as well expecting Baekhyun, but it was someone he hadn't seen before.

'Sorry I'm so late, Tae'.

Taehyung went over to Chen after grabbing his backpack.

'Where's eomma?'

'He's stuck at work, so he asked me to pick you up'. Chen said as he grabbed Taehyung's hand. 'I would of gotten here sooner, but I had to sneak off from work since Baekhyun called me at last minute'.

'It's okay'. Taehyung said as he looked at Chen. 'Let's go see him'.

Chen smiled and started to leave, but Daehyun stopped him.

'Umm...can you give this to Taehyung's mother?' Daehyun asked as he handed Chen a piece of paper.

Chen nodded. 'I'll make sure he gets it'. Chen turned back to Taehyung. 'Let's go, Tae'.

Taehyung turns towards Daehyun and waved at him. 'Thanks for the fun time'.

Daehyun smiled and waved back. 'I'll see you tomorrow'.

 

Baekhyun was at home making dinner when Chen and Taehyung walked through the door.

'Eomma!' Taehyung yelled as he ran over to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun smiled and kissed the top of his head. 'Hey, how did it go at school?'

'Great!' Taehyung looked up at him. 'Mr. Jung is very nice. He gave me extra snacks today and played games with me till Chen picked me up'.

'He sounds like a great teacher'.

Taehyung nodded. 'I really like him'.

'I'm so happy you're enjoying school. I was worried you wouldn't like it'.

'I love it'.

Baekhyun kissed Taehyung's forehead then gave him his dinner.

 

'Hey, Baek?' Baekhyun turned towards Chen and saw he had a paper in his hand.

'What's that?' Baekhyun asked.

Chen shrugged. 'I don't know, but Taehyung's teacher asked me to give it to you'.

Baekhyun took the paper from Chen and read it.

'It's a letter for a parent teacher conference'. Baekhyun looked at Chen confused then turned towards Taehyung.

'Tae, you're not in trouble at school are you?'

Taehyung shook his head. 'No, eomma. Mr. Jung says I'm a great kid'. He smiled.

'Then why does your teacher want to meet with me?'

'I don't know'.

Baekhyun sighed and put the paper on the counter. He'd find out what it was about later.

 

The next day, Baekhyun left work a little early to make sure he got to the school on time. He was worried, something was going on with Taehyung. He already had enough problems, he didn't need Taehyung to have any problems at school.

Baekhyun went inside the school when he got there and went to Taehyung's classroom. He noticed how quiet it was in there. A lot of the kids were already gone.

He looked around the room and found Taehyung in the corner playing with the teacher.

Baekhyun made his way over to them.

Taehyung saw Baekhyun before he said anything and ran over to him.

'Eomma!'

'Hey, sweetie'.

Baekhyun hugged him and kissed the top of his head.

 

Daehyun stood up and turned towards Baekhyun. Baekhyun was too busy with Taehyung he hadn't noticed him yet.

'Hey, Baek'. 

Baekhyun looked up and froze at the sight in front of him. He eyed Daehyun up and down, not believing what he was seeing.

'Dae?' His voice came out weak. 'You're Taehyung's teacher?'