Protective mother

I Love You...No You (Daebaek / Hyun family)

Baekhyun woke up to Taehyung crying at two in the morning.

Baekhyun got out of bed and went over to him. He tried to feed him and change him, but he kept crying.

'What's wrong baby?' Baekhyun asked as he tried to calm him down. 

Taehyung wouldn't stop crying. Baekhyun was getting worried. He felt Taehyung's forehead and felt he had a fever.

'It's okay, sweetie'. Baekhyun kept whispering hoping he would calm down.

 

Chen walked in the room a few minutes later half asleep and his hair out of place.

'What's going on?' He asked. 'Why's the baby crying so much?'

'He's not feeling well'. Baekhyun said. 'He has a fever'.

'Do you need to take him to the doctor?'

'Probably. I don't have any meds for him'.

'I can take you'.

'Are you sure you can drive like this?'

Chen shrugged. 'I'll be fine. Just as long as the crying stops'.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, but started getting ready to leave.

 

When they got to the doctor's office, the doctor took some tests and gave Baekhyun some medicine to give to Taehyung.

Baekhyun gave Taehyung the medicine when they got home and tried to rock him to sleep. Taehyung cried most of the time, but eventually the medicine kicked in and he fell asleep.

 

The next day, Baekhyun was taking care of Taehyung's fever when the doorbell rang. Baekhyun picked Taehyung up and answered the door.

Baekhyun wasn't happy to see Chanyeol standing on the porch.

'Hey, Baek'. Chanyeol smiled.

Baekhyun looked at him carefully. 'What's going on?'

'I was walking by and thought I'd stop by and see my son'.

Baekhyun held Taehyung against his chest. 'He's not feeling well'.

'What's wrong?'

'He's got a fever'.

Chanyeol got closer to Baekhyun and Taehyung and held his hands out.

Baekhyun looked at him and lifted his eyebrow. 'You want to hold a sick baby?'

'He's not just a sick baby, he's my son'.

Baekhyun hated how Chanyeol kept rubbing in the fact that he was Taehyung's father. But he gave Taehyung to Chanyeol.

Taehyung stared at Baekhyun the whole time Chanyeol held him. Even though Chanyeol was trying to cheer him up.

'eom...eom...eom...' He kept mumbling as he reached out for Baekhyun.

Baekhyun took Taehyung back and kissed the top of his head.

'Baek, can we try and talk without fighting this time?'

'Depends on what you say'.

Chanyeol sighed and sat down on the couch.

'Look, I don't want to have problems with you every time I come and see my son'.

Baekhyun sat down next to Chanyeol as he held Taehyung.

'I know you don't want me as his father, but we can't do anything about that'.

Baekhyun looked down at Taehyung to give him something to look at besides Chanyeol.

'I'm sorry I snapped like that'. Baekhyun said. 'I just haven't heard from Daehyun and it's been driving me crazy'.

'He's fine, Baek. He doesn't seem like this situation is bothering him. In fact he's moved on. He's seeing someone else'. He lied.

Baekhyun bit his lip. 'Oh. Makes more sense why he's not calling me back'.

Chanyeol reached over and put his hand on Baekhyun's knee. 'Hey, I'm not here to talk about Daehyun. I'm here to talk to you about an arrangement for me to spend time with my son'.

Baekhyun looked at him. 'You know, I keep hearing you say 'my son', but never his name. Do you even know his name?' Baekhyun challenged. He knew he said Taehyung's name multiple times around him.

'Of course I do'. Chanyeol lied. He tried to remember the name Baekhyun used, but nothing was coming to him.

'Well?' Baekhyun stared at him.

Chanyeol sighed. 'I can't think of it right now'.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. 'It's Taehyung. You should know it if you're going to be around him'.

'How often are you going to let me see Taehyung?' Chanyeol asked.

Baekhyun shrugged. 'When do you want to see him?'

'The weekends are the best time for me'.

Baekhyun nodded. 'Okay, you can stop by on the weekends'.

'Umm...actually, I was hoping you'd drop him off at my place'.

'Why?' Baekhyun asked as he pulled Taehyung closer to him.

'I don't want to have to keep coming over to Chen's apartment. Chen doesn't need to be in the middle of this situation'.

'But he already is'. Baekhyun interrupted him. 

Chanyeol sighed. 'I would just rather spend time with Taehyung at my place instead of Chen's. You can drop him off at my place saturday morning and I can bring him back sunday night'.

Baekhyun bit his lip not knowing what to do. 'This is hard for me because Taehyung hasn't left my side since he was born. He's used to me'.

'Which is why I want to spend time with him'.

'What are you going to do when he won't stop crying? And you're up most the night from lack of sleep?'

'Baek, I've been around babies before. He'll be fine'.

'Alright. I'll drop him off at your place saturday morning'.

Chanyeol smiled. 'Great. I'll see you in a couple days'.

Chanyeol ran his hand on Taehyung's head and back and kissed his forehead. Then before Baekhyun knew it, he felt Chanyeol peck his lips.

Baekhyun stood there shocked. Chanyeol noticed Baekhyun's expression but didn't say anything. He just wanted to get out of there.

'See you later'. He said as he left the apartment.

Baekhyun reached up and touched his lips, not believing what just happened. Baekhyun hoped it was a mistake, cause he wasn't getting back together with him.

 

A couple days later, Baekhyun had finished feeding and changing Taehyung. Then he went to his room and started packing his diaper bag. 

Baekhyun still had a bad feeling about leaving Taehyung with Chanyeol. He knew Chanyeol wouldn't hurt him, but Baekhyun didn't like the idea of being away from Taehyung for two days. 

Baekhyun put Taehyung in his baby carrier and grabbed the diaper bag then headed over to Chanyeol's apartment.

 

Baekhyun knocked on the door when he got there. He held Taehyung's carrier in his hand tightly as he waited for Chanyeol to open the door.

Chanyeol quickly opened the door and let Baekhyun inside.

Baekhyun felt weird being back in Chanyeol's apartment.

'Glad you came'. Chanyeol said. 'I was starting to worry you changed your mind'.

Baekhyun gave a small smile and set Taehyung's diaper bag on the couch. Then he picked Taehyung up from his carrier.

Taehyung grabbed Baekhyun's shirt and on his pacifier. 

Baekhyun kissed Taehyung's cheek and held him closely.

'Chanyeol, this is very hard for me to be away from Taehyung. But I know you need to spend time with him too'.

Chanyeol nodded. 'Don't worry, Baek. He'll be fine. I went and got some toys and stuff for him to play with'.

'He's still a little young. You have to watch him carefully'. Baekhyun said. 'Feed him on time and make sure he gets his naps'. 

Baekhyun reached in the bag and pulled out the medicine the doctor gave him. 'Make sure he gets this. His fever is almost gone'.

Chanyeol nodded. 'Don't worry'.

Baekhyun sighed and tried to hand Taehyung to Chanyeol, but Taehyung wouldn't let go of Baekhyun's shirt.

'It's okay baby. You'll be back with eomma before you know it'. Baekhyun said as he kissed Taehyung's cheek.

He got Taehyung to let go of his shirt and handed him to Chanyeol.

Taehyung looked at Chanyeol and started crying. His pacifier fell out of his mouth and he started reaching for Baekhyun.

'This is what I was afraid of'. Baekhyun said. 'He doesn't want to be here'.

'Baek, he's just used to you. You have to let him get used to the people you're around'.

Baekhyun nodded. 'I know. But call me if you need my help'.

'I will'.

Baekhyun kissed Taehyung again as he kept reaching out for him. It broke his heart to see Taehyung like that. But he saw how Chanyeol was trying to calm him down.

It took everything in Baekhyun to leave the apartment without Taehyung. He hated being without Taehyung. Taehyung was all he had left.

 

When Baekhyun got home from Chanyeol's, he saw mail on the counter. There was an envelope addressed to him.

Baekhyun saw that it was from the doctor's office. He was confused but figured it was a bill.

Baekhyun opened the envelope and pulled out the letter. As he read it, he almost fainted. He kept rereading the letter not believing what it said.

 

Dear Byun Baekhyun,

It has come to our attention that there was a mix up with the DNA results. We ran the tests again and the father of Byun Taehyung is Jung Daehyun. We are sorry for the misunderstanding and inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Doctor Kim Seokjin

 

Baekhyun kept looking at the letter confused, then he picked up his phone and called the doctor's office. The receptionist sent his call to doctor Kim.

'Hello?'

'Doctor Kim?'

'Yes'.

'It's Byun Baekhyun. I just got a letter about a mix up in the DNA results'.

Baekhyun heard doctor Kim sigh on the other. 'Yes. I'm very sorry about the mix up. The nurse gave you the wrong name even though Daehyun's DNA was a match'.

'So Daehyun is for sure the father?'

'Yes. After I realized the mistake. We tested the samples again to make sure. And Daehyun's DNA matched every time'.

'I can't believe it...' Baekhyun whispered.

'Again, I'm sorry about the mix up'.

'Thank you for letting me know'.

Baekhyun hung up the phone, then he tried to call Daehyun. He selected Daehyun's number from his contacts and hit the call button.

'Please pick up. Please pick up. Please pick up...' Baekhyun kept saying as he heard the phone ring.

Daehyun's voicemail came up instead.

Baekhyun sighed. 'Dae, please call me back. I know you don't want to see me again but I have something really important to tell you'.

Baekhyun hung up the phone and set it on the counter.

 

Baekhyun stared at the phone and kept waiting for Daehyun to call him back, but he didn't hear from him.

Chen came in the room and found Baekhyun sitting on the counter next to his phone and the envelope from the doctor.

'What's going on?' Chen asked.

'I'm waiting to hear from Daehyun'.

'Why?' Chen asked as he sat next to him.

'I tried to call him, but he didn't answer. So I left a message'.

'Why are you trying to get in contact with him?'

Baekhyun pushed the letter from the doctor over to Chen. Chen opened it and read it, not believing it.

'Is this for real?'

Baekhyun nodded. 'I called the doctor after I read it. He said the nurse got the names mixed up. But that Daehyun's DNA matched'.

'I can't believe this'. Chen said as he kept rereading the letter.

Baekhyun stood up grabbing his phone and the doctor's letter. Then he started heading to the door.

'Where are you going?' Chen asked.

'I need to talk to Daehyun'.

 

Baekhyun left and started heading towards Daehyun's apartment. His heart was beating faster and faster the closer he got. He was hoping he could get Daehyun to stop hating him and accept Taehyung in his life.

Baekhyun climbed the stairs to Daehyun's apartment then knocked on the door. 

'Daehyun!' He called out as he knocked.

Baekhyun stared at the door as he kept knocking, but got no response.

'Daehyun, please open the door. I really need to talk to you'.

 

As Baekhyun knocked on the door, one of Daehyun's neighbors walked past him.

'Looks like no one's home'. She said to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun turned to the older woman. 'He's got to be. We're just having problems right now'.

The neighbor looked at the number on the door that Baekhyun was knocking on.

'You can knock all you want but he's not going to answer'.

'You don't know that'. Baekhyun said as he kept knocking.

'Sweetie, he moved out a few days ago. That apartment is empty'.

Baekhyun stopped mid knock and turned back to the older woman. 'What?'

'I'm sorry, but I saw him with a whole bunch of moving boxes a few days ago. I haven't seen him since'.

Baekhyun gave a small smile. 'Thank you for your help'. He said as he started to leave the apartment. 

Baekhyun was upset the whole way home. He couldn't believe his luck. He didn't know how he was going to get in contact with Daehyun now. He wouldn't know about his son, and Taehyung wouldn't know about his father.