Maybe She Just Realized She Got Herself The Wrong Daughter The Whole Time

Cinderella Gone Wrong

Chapter 9 - Maybe She Just Realized She Got Herself The Wrong Daughter The Whole Time

"So how's your first day at new school?" Mom asked, putting down her forks as she looked toward our direction excitedly. I rolled my eyes in annoyance while looking down at my plate of noodle.

Mom was being a Mom. I knew that and everyone did too. It was perfectly normal for any mother on the world to ask their children about their day at school. Especially the first day in senior year. But the odd thing going around our dinner table was my Mom asking another Mom's daughter about her day instead of asking me, her out-of-her-own-womb daughter first.

But it wasn't quite a shocker. She had been doing that, what? A while now?

"Oh, it's great." Min Jung beamed. "The teacher helped me out a lot and the kids were so nice to me after they found out that I'm So Ra's sister."

"That's really good." Mom gave her that motherly smile. You know that kind of; leaned your head to the side a bit and clasped your hands kind of smile. Which make me wanna puke right then and there. Min Jung continued to rattle on how awesome her day went off so far and how great it was to be at the same school as her so much beloved step-sister's. I began to play the noddle with my fork while placing the side of my head on my palm, trying to show my best I'm-really-not-enjoying eating-my-food-while-hearing-those-school--fantasy to everyone at the table. But of course Mom didn't acknowledge that.

She was too busy thanking the good Lord of her new daughter existence.

"Yeah, it is. Besides, I get to meet some of So Ra's friend too. They are absolutely nice and friendly. So Ra was kind enough to let me sit with them at the cafeteria."

Wait, what?

I looked to Min Jung, almost instantly, who was sitting beside me and she was looking at me too. Giving that oh, very sincere smile as she bit her lower lips and raising her eyebrows.

"That's surprising. Considering both of you always had that cat fight at home." Dad spoke up, trying to fish me into their conversation; which I really not fancy of. Obviously. He probably the only one who realized how much I wanted to leave this table. He was being considerate as usual. But it didn't make me feel any better.

The only thing that was stopping me from sprinting to my room right at that moment was the sttrong, sticky glue on my to the chair called respect. And also thought of Dad. Real dad. The thought of how he said the act of leaving the table while everyone else was still devouring their meal was an act of rudeness which shouldn't be apply in life. That's why I stay. Although we obviously not feeding ourselves with food right now but with Min Jung's Greatest Day In Life.

"In your head." I muttered, as a respond to what Dad said just now as I rolled my eyes.

"What did you just say, So Ra?" Mom put down her fork again, intentionally making a clanking sound with her plate to grab my attention as she knew her words alone aren't gonna make me look up to her. And it worked. I looked up to her now face slowly layered with anger. One by one.

"No. I don't say anything." I shrugged as I took my glass of apple juice and drank it. As much as I hate apple juice, I drink it anyway because I wanted to stage up my drama's as palpable as I could get so that Mom realized how much I hate sitting here with her babbling over Min Jung's awesomeness of surviving her first day without getting killed by a bunch of crazy gorillas.

Because if that happened, I'm gonna be the one who excited more than Mom did.

"Maybe So Ra is little upset that you wasn't curious about her first day, Mom." Min Jung said with a pitiful glance at me before looked to Mom again.

"Oh, that won't be necessary." She said, taking up her fork back and stuffed in some noddle inside . I looked up at her when she started talking again.

"Because the most she would be telling me were how much she hates school or how she got herself some dismissal for her cheer routine again or how things were completely normal that it make her sick me asking her so much."

I stopped my hand movement that was creating some cirle in the middle of my plate with my fork. Now this was shocking. The words came out from so swiftly like the stream of water down the waterfall as if she had been stopping herself this whole time from telling me. As if my tattle on schooldays boring her to death all this time that I been telling her. I had no memory of any of that. Even the slightest memory. Because as far as I remembered the things she would respond to me were; who even like to go to school anyway? Or; the dismissal was the best part being a cheerleader. Or; come on! Just tell me how is it going! Despite how normal it was for you.

But now? She just said that. And not even any part of me blamed her because that was exactly what I said. Maybe she just realized she got herself the wrong daughter the whole time.