Epilogue

Dynasty: The Good and the Great
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two young men sat together on their father's platform in the court room long after the court had ended for the day.

The younger of the pair was busy reading a thick book on the political history of New Revenet, the elder studying up on spells and incantations.

"It says here that uncle Jin was the one who led the invasion from the Northern Territory into Revenet. Is that true? He was even King at one point." Jiwoo asked, shifting his weight as he lay on the floor.

"Of course it's not true." Yunho replied without thinking, reaching back to scratch his twenty year old . "You know uncle Jin, he's too gentle to do something like that."

"I thought so!" Jiwoo agreed, sitting up. "So why is it recorded like that?"

"I don't know."

Jiwoo looked up at his older brother with his big eyes. He had seen many photos of his mother, and his father always told him how much they looked like each other, but the sense of jealousy that was buried in his heart wasn't something that could be resolved. He longed to know his mother, to even spend 5 minutes with her and yet it was because of him that she passed away. When they were younger, inevitably that would be the last insult that Yunho would scream towards Jiwoo before the argument would come to a sudden stop and the elder boy was taken away to be reprimanded by their father. That stopped once they got older and Yunho became more sensitive towards people around him, including his younger brother.

 

"What was she like?" Jiwoo asked.

Yunho sighed and set down his book, running a hand through his hair.

"This is something you should ask father." he said eventually. "I don't really remember much."

"Do you have any memories?" Jiwoo pressed.

"Just that... she was always there." Yunho said eventually, his sharp eyes that he inherited from his father now avoiding Jiwoo's gaze. "And then she wasn't."

"I wanted to know what history thought of mother, but there isn't much here. Are they trying to erase her?"

"Of course not! Father would never allow that." Yunho shot back. "Mother was beautiful and wise and strong. I remember when the palace had its first banquet. I went up to perform a piece on the piano and mother... I remember her face clearly. She looked so happy and I felt happy too. She would help me practice and she spent all of her time with me. Father would join us after he had finished for the day and he would play piano for us too."

"Father can play piano?" Jiwoo asked. "I didn't know he had any hobbies."

"He used to do paintings too. He was more active and upbeat before mother died." Yunho responded before adding: "But don't worry. He loves you just as much as he loved mother. Don't doubt that."

"I wish I could just spend an hour with mother." Jiwoo lamented. "I want to know her for myself. I feel like people aren't giving me the full picture. I'm sure she was as wonderful as everyone says but... isn't there something more to her?"

 

"She was ruthless."

 

The two young men scrambled to their feet and knelt before the King, who had been eavesdropping on their conversation for the past five minutes. Yoongi clasped his hands behind his back and sauntered into the room and stood before his sons as though he were a subject petitioning to the King. Once the boys were at ease, Jiwoo looked at his father with wide eyes, his brother equally as intrigued.

"Come." Yoongi said, clearing his throat. "Let's have tea."

 

"Your mother..." Yoongi began, a smile automatically on his lips, "the Queen was someone to absolutely admire."

"You said mother was ruthless, father?" Yunho asked, feeling a little tense. "What do you mean?"

"Your mother was the one who founded this nation."

Yoongi blinked as his sons gaped at him. This was new information for th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter