Like Always, I...

Dynasty: The Good and the Great
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Drones flew overhead as King Seokjin led his men into the capital.

The war was won.

Almost.

After eighteen months of fighting, it proved to be a rather smooth victory against the Revenet nation, especially with all of the magic they supposedly possessed. How could they have fallen so easily? It was time to bring Jisoo back, Jin felt. Now he had officially conquered another nation, the press loved him, his Northern Territory people loved him. It was time to bring a voice to the people of Revenet, to save them from the barbaric tyrants that had wrought their lives with fear and oppression. Sure, they had to quash whatever resistance they had encountered, and whatever collateral damage was done, but that was normal for war. There would always be civilian casualties, especially in such a place as Revenet, where there were a good few guerilla groups full of non-military volunteer soldiers.

Finally, all they had to do was take down the Guorun palace.

Jin had contemplated moving the capital to the Guorun palace - it was a massive area and well protected with the military based around the outskirts of the palace walls. It would be their final fight. They figured that most of the soldiers would have already been dispatched elsewhere, but they didn't want to be too sure of themselves. It was the palace after all, the best soldiers would be there protecting the royal family.

They would have to go too.

Sorry, Jisoo.

 

The air was fresh and clean, spring time having come round again. It was certainly much warmer at this time in Revenet than it was in the Northern Territory. Perhaps it wouldn't be such a terrible idea to have the new, main palace as Guorun after all. Help establish the fact they had been taken over. Or perhaps he would simply use it to be a powerhouse of military force and have the army mostly stationed there.

But what if they used it to overthrow him again?

But he really did like the design of the Guorun palace. It was confusing and even after entering the gates it seemed like the palace itself - the living quarters - were another journey away. How many rooftops were in his way until they reached the living quarters? And where was the court? Jin scratched his head as he and the other generals arrived by horse. He had never used a horse for transportation before, but they had already used many of their military vehicles so it wasn't necessary for him to personally use an armoured vehicle for travel when the war was practically over.

But he made sure the rest of the army were in said armoured vehicles right behind him.

He couldn't take any chances, not at such a late stage. It would be embarrassing to be killed at this point. Perhaps he should've taken a vehicle after all. He looked back at the formation of ugly matte black mini-tanks behind him before shaking his head. No, it would be far too obvious that he was nervous. He had never been trained in combat before, but it wouldn't look good for a King to hide behind others. Since Revenet was a relatively obscure country, and isolationist, it was very easy to make it look like Jin's directions were carried out by him personally on the field, rather than by him in a safe, remote area inside Revenet with constant protection.

What would it matter anyway? He had already won them the war.

"Your Highness, it will take another hour by horse to reach the palace. Are you sure you don't want to take a vehicle?" General Lee asked.

"It's okay. We should face together anything that comes our way. I want to take a good look around this place, too. They have a good set-up here."

 

As they wandered deeper into the palace, Jin stopped to examine what looked to be herbal medicine shops, bath houses, restaurants, stables for horses, gardens and whatever else caught his eye. This was where Jisoo grew up? It almost felt like a dream world. There was a large area that had its own gates. He wasn't entirely sure what it was, but there was a group of young, pretty women in very flashy versions of the robes Jisoo used to wear - and hers were rather showy as they were. They didn't seem too happy to see him, but they commented something to each other and giggled amongst themselves.

"What are you doing?" an older female voice barked, catching all of their attention and they bowed in the direction of the voice.

A moment later, a middle-aged woman with a fancy hair piece appeared, took one look at Jin, realised who he was, and immediately turned back to the girls.

"He is the new king! You ought to be on your knees! Ignorant wenches - kowtow this instant!"

"Why should we?" a girl with tanned skin and a beauty mark on her cheek retorted, immediately being slapped by the older woman.

"You're just a courtesan! You exist outside of politics

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter