We Built Our Own World

Dynasty: The Good and the Great
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two years later, Queen Jisoo found herself sitting beside her husband in the morning court session. She observed Yoongi as he handled New Revenet business from all over the former countries, and he did so with genuine consideration, grace and sensitivity. It was almost exactly how she governed, and so when the time came for Jisoo to give her thoughts, she often had nothing more to say than reiterate what the King had declared. It was odd for the people of old Revenet to see the Queen participate in governance, but they were becoming more progressive in their outlook thanks to the successful development of Northern Territory businesses and infrastructure in old Revenet.

That was truly Yoongi's doing.

He had been watching over the social aspects of New Revenet life, not only just the legal side and he had successfully come up with ways to encourage as much cultural exchange as possible in an effort to merge the two. The traditions of old Revenet - the respect for nature, authority and the sense of community with the progressive mindset of the former Northern Territory - attitudes towards uality, gender roles and the use of media for entertainment. The introduction of phones in old Revenet, the construction of internet cable lines and telegraph poles, electricity circuits and energy industries meant millions of people were put into stable, well-paid and sustainable work. No one could argue against that.

Jisoo's golden nail extensions scraped against the wood of the chair arm, her eyes focused on the indentations it made. Her beautiful headdress sat neatly on her braided hair, her hands covered in rings and bangles once more. Glancing over to Yoongi, she thought he looked very handsome in the King's robes. They both wore champagne robes with gold embroidery, Jisoo accented here and there with precious stones and metals, where Yoongi simply wore his wedding ring and a plain engraved gold band around his wrist, matching the one his son had. All three of them wore the same one.

A sadness had taken over Jisoo for the past while.

Yoongi had gone from insisting that she be passionate before being allowed into the court room, to telling her to come whenever she wanted and as she pleased. She still didn't show up, however. Eventually Yoongi had pleaded with her to come back to court, terrified that he might have killed off her interest and passion in governing and leading the country. Going back to court didn't seem to change anything, however. She already had what she wanted, she took over the land that cast her out and made those people beg before her. But more than that, she had Yoongi by her side and she had fallen into a sense of complacency. She didn't like it either that she felt no need to be involved with running the country but she had no idea what to do to fix it.

 

Yoongi felt his heart drop as his wife picked at her food, her fork prodding at the meat on the expensive dish. He set his fork down.

"Jisoo... don't you want to be in court?" he asked. "Please, tell me what's wrong."

"It's not that, it's just..." she trailed, her eyes welling up.

Yoongi immediately got up and rushed to her side, never having seen his wife cry before, he was unsure how to comfort her.

"Jisoo, tell me!" he insisted, kneeling down beside her. "Please don't get upset, we can work together!"

Jisoo kept her head down as fat tears silently dripped down her cheeks.

"I'm not needed any more." she finally whispered. "The people don't need me."

"Jisoo!" Yoongi said, his heart breaking that she felt that way. "That's not true-"

"It is though. You're more than capable of doing this yourself. You rule exactly how I do."

"But that doesn't mean you aren't valuable to our nation! You were the one who did all the work to found it!"

"The people still think it was Jin." she sighed. "The worst of it is... I just don't know what to do with myself. I don't have a good enough reason to govern, I just spend my days with Yunho waiting around for you. Even Yunho has nannies and caretakers, he barely needs me."

"Jisoo!" Yoongi scolded, "No matter how many caretakers Yunho has, he needs his mother. I need his mother, too! You are invaluable to him and to me and to this country."

"You don't need me, not really. You'd be perfectly capable of continuing on if I ran away one day. But if one day you can't lead, then I can. But there's no need now. I just don't know what I want, I guess."

"How can I help you?" Yoongi asked, his brows furrowed. "Tell me."

"I don't know. For now I'll just focus on Yunho. The banquet is coming up, too. I'll help him prepare."

"Is that what you want?" he asked gently, raising his hand to wipe her tears away.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter