Chapter 5

Just Say It Already

 

The Dinner Party

"…" Gui Gui is shocked by this question. She had liked him in the second grade, but she didn't know what her feelings for him were now. She knew she had to say something, but what? She was saved from having to answer because Wei Yi broke it.

"Gui, since you don’t know the me right now, we can start from friends and go from there. I just wanted to let you know my feelings." Wei Yi reassured her. This was the right thing to say, and Gui relaxed. Gui Gui nodded. "Of course we can be friends."

Hey, I have a question. How did you know I would be here at this exact time?" Wei Yi laughed. "Did Xiao Hao tell you to ask me that?" Gui Gui giggled. " Yes, but I want to know too." Gui Gui was curious, and leaned forward.

"He was just messing around. I was actually here for about an hour before you showed up. But sometimes I do hear my name being called from really far away. It’s actually really cool." Wei Yi explained. Gui Gui got excited. "Hey, that sounds fun! Can I try?" Wei Yi laughed at her eager expression. "Sure. Why don’t you go to the end of that street and say my name. I'll see if I hear it. When I do, I'll call you. Ok?"

Gui Gui said happily, "Ok!" She got up and walked to the end of the street. "I think I'm far enough. Okay. Wei Yi." Her phone started ringing. She was a little shocked, but she remembered that she had to pick up. "Ok, now that's freaky. But that was so cool." "Thanks," said Wei Yi in a dry tone. She hung up and walked back to the café. "Hey, do you want to come back to my house? Xiao Hao and my other friends are there."

Gui Gui asked. Wei Yi readily agreed. "OK, let’s go!" He took Gui Gui’s hand. "Let’s skip!" Gui suggested. Wei Yi acted more mature, but Gui Gui made him feel so carefree. "Ok..." They skipped all the way back to her house, not paying attention to the amount of attention they were getting.

They reached her house, and Gui Gui unlocked the door. "Guys, I’m back!" She sang. She walked into the living room and saw all of the guys sitting on the couch. They were talking, and they looked up as they came in.

Aaron’s eyes immediately went to their joined hands, and his eyes narrowed. Gui Gui didn’t notice, but Wei Yi did. Aaron’s smile turned into a scowl. Wei Yi thought, "What's up with this guy? Is he Gui' boyfriend? She didn't mention anything about him. Hmmm, why don' I test him?" Gui Gui said, "Okay guys, this is Wei Yi. Wei Yi, this is Xiao Gui and Aaron, my bestest friends ever!" Wei Yi smiled. "Hi guys. Hey, Xiao Hao, what’s up?" Xiao Hao replied casually, "Nothing much, dude." Xiao Hao got up and walked over to Wei Yi. They did the guy hug, and then Xiao Hao dragged Wei Yi over to where he was sitting.

They started chatting about stuff, Xiao Hao asking stuff about America, etc. Aaron was still seething. Wei Yi suddenly asked, "Hey Gui, can I see your room?" Gui Gui said happily, "Sure. You'll hate it though, it's blue!" Gui Gui and Wei Yi laugh as they walk up the stairs. Aaron is about to explode with jealousy. "Why were they holding hands? Are they together? Why didn’t Gui Gui say anything about it? What’s so great about being childhood friends?"

Xiao Gui observed, "They seem pretty close." Xiao Hao
said, "Well, they were best friends when they were little. In that time, I don’t think there was anything that Gui Gui didn’t tell her best friend." Appalled, Aaron asked indignantly, "Does that mean that Wei Yi knows all of Gui Gui’s secrets?" Xiao Hao was amused. "Hello! That was in second grade! Her biggest secret was probably something ridiculous. Gui Gui is grown up now. Her childhood secrets should have disappeared by now."

(Meanwhile, in Gui Gui’s room) "Ta da!" Gui Gui flourishes with a wild gesture to her room. It has blue walls, with a matching bed and carpet. Her drapes are a pretty purple, and she has a white desk with a black laptop. She has a lot of stuffed animals everywhere in the room. Wei Yi walks around, looking at all of the stuffed animals. He picks up an old Pikachu.

"Hey, Gui, you still have the Pikachu I gave you." Gui Gui answered, "Yeah, I keep all of my stuffed animals." Wei Yi remembered that day that he got that for her. "I still remember that day. We were at a carnival, and you saw this Pikachu. You asked me to get it for you, and I did. I remember we spent so much money at that stall that we didn’t have time for anything else." Gui Gui laughed. "Yeah, I remember." She thought back to that happy memory. Then she was jolted out of it by her mother. "Dinner’s ready!" "Let’s go!" Wei Yi suggested. They walk out of her room and down to the dining table.

There were two empty seats left, between Aaron and Xiao Hao. Gui Gui was going to sit down but... Wei Yi remembered something. "Wait, this Aaron guy seem like he
likes Gui Gui. So I can’t let her sit next to him. I wonder what he will do if I switch places with her." "Hey, Gui, can I sit there?" Wei Yi asked. Gui Gui acquiesced.
"Yeah, sure." So she sat down next to Xiao Hao. Aaron was completely pissed off.

Aaron's jealousy was rising again. "What right do you have to take Gui Gui away from me? She was going to sit by me, but then you ruined it? What’s your problem?" Wei Yi noticed the glare in his eyes, and it was priceless. "Hahaha! This is so funny! Aaron likes Gui so much he gets pissed off if she doesn’t sit next to him. This is going to be so much fun."

Wei Yi was pleased with himself. Wei Yi sat down next to Aaron, pretending that he didn’t notice anything. He talked pleasantly with everybody, playing the part of a gracious guest flawlessly. With every move he made, he could feel Aaron's eyes on him. It was worth it to help Gui. Finally, the dinner ended.

Aaron was so glad that the dinner was finally over. "Finally! It's over! I can escape from this torture!"
Wei Yi, Xiao Hao, and his mom got up and said their goodbyes. Wei Yi saw Aaron's relieved face, and decided to make him jealous again. He went over to Gui Gui and hugged her. When he released her and looked at Aaron, Aaron's eyes were practically popping out of his head. Wei Yi left with the satisfaction of a good day's work.
___________________________________________________________
Author's Note:
Hey Guys! I'm sorry I keep making these too short. Next time I'll try to make it longer. Keep Commenting! What do you think will happen with all of Gui Gui's suitors?