Chapter 4

Just Say It Already

 

The Return of a Rival

Jun was at his house, talking on the phone to the principal of Gui Gui’s high school. Jun was negotiating. "Yes, I want to transfer to your school, on the condition that I am in Class 206." The principal demurred, "Of course, there is plenty of room. May I ask why that specific room?"

Jun said with the air of one who always gets his way, "I have my reasons." The principal said, "OK…Well then, I'll see you tomorrow." Jun gleefully said, "Yes, goodbye." He hung up the phone. Inside, Jun is thrilled over his victory. "Yes! One step closer to Gui Gui’s heart!"

(Meanwhile, on the way home) Gui Gui, Xiao Gui, and Aaron were confused. Gui Gui said, worried, "What did he mean by that?" Aaron said, "Knowing him, nothing good." Xiao Gui protested, "Hey, you don’t know him either!" Gui Gui broke up the argument. "Whatever. Hey, let's go back to my house." Aaron agreed, "Okay."

"Ok, let’s go!" Xiao Gui said. Xiao Gui linked arms with Gui Gui and skipped down the street with her. Aaron never did this because he didn’t want to look like an idiot. They got to her house and went in. Gui Gui laid her stuff down and fell down onto her couch. Gui Gui said ecstatic, "Oh, I can’t believe Xiao Hao’s here!"

Xiao Gui asked, "He's your godmother's son right? I thought you said he was in America." Gui Gui said, "He was. But his Chinese was deteriorating, so his mom decided to send him back here." Aaron said sarcastically, "Wow. He couldn't become bilingual?" Gui Gui said teasingly, "Geez, Aaron. Not everybody’s as smart as you!" Gui Gui suddenly realized something. "OH CRAP! I completely forgot!" She smacked her forehead.Aaron and Xiao Gui said simultaneously, "What?"

Gui Gui explained, "Xiao Hao said that he was coming over for dinner tonight with his mom. Hey, you guys want to stay for dinner? I can introduce him to you." Xiao Gui agreed, "Sure." Aaron agreed, "Yeah, ok." Free food was always welcome. Gui Gui was happy. "Yay!" She clapped her hands together. Aaron thought, "Hmmm, it shouldn’t hurt to get to know this guy. Since he doesn’t seem like an enemy, it should be okay, as long as he doesn’t flirt with Gui Gui tonight."

That last thought made him angry, but he calmed down quick enough so that no one noticed. Gui Gui called her mom and told her that Aaron and Xiao Gui were staying for dinner. Her mom was delighted, because she heartily approved of both of them. *DING DONG*

Gui went to go get the door, and it was Xiao Hao and his mom. Gui Gui said happily, "Xiao Hao! Godmother!" She hugged Xiao Hao, and then her godmother. She opened the door for them, and closed it after them. She then introduced them to her best friends. Gui Gui said, "Xiao Hao, Godmother, these are my best friends, Aaron and Xiao Gui." Aaron said politely, "Hi, Auntie, Xiao Hao." Xiao Gui said with enthusiasm, "Hi Auntie! Hey, Xiao Hao, what's up?" He goes over to Xiao Hao and gave him the guy hug. Xiao Gui said, "Hey man, how’s it going?"

Auntie said, "Hello Aaron, Xiao Gui." Just then Gui Gui's mom came in. Her mom asked, "What are you all standing around for? Come eat!" She takes Gui Gui’s godmother's arm and they start chatting. The four of them are left together, alone. Xiao Hao is thinking about Gui's best friends, and why Aaron seemed familiar. "Oh yeah! I remember this guy. Aaron’s the one that kept glaring at me when I was hugging Gui Gui. Why? Does he like her or something? Hehehe I think I'll mess with him a little bit."

Xiao Hao said, "Gui, I have something for you." Gui Gui gets excited and starts jumping up and down. "What is it?" Xiao Hao pulls out a package from behind him. He handed it to Gui Gui. She takes it and unwrapped it. Inside was a locket with a picture of a guy in it. Gui Gui gasps. Gui Gui said with a small voice, "Is it him?" Xiao Hao's seemed to get quieter too. "Yes, it is." Gui Gui completely forgets about Aaron and Xiao Gui; she is only paying attention to the locket in front of her.

Gui Gui, still shocked, asked, "When did you take this?" Xiao Hao replied, "Last week. I saw him and recognized him. I stopped him and asked if he remembered you. When he found out that my mom was your godmother, he asked me to give this to you." Gui Gui stared at the locket, then suddenly she got up and hugged Xiao Hao. Gui Gui said, "Thanks, Xiao Hao. This means a lot." Xiao Hao said, "No problem." His voice was stronger now that he was sure that Gui was ok. Aaron asked, a little pissed, "What's going on?" Xiao Gui said, a little put out, "Yeah, I wanna know. I don’t like being kept in the dark!"

Just then, the power went out. Xiao Gui got angry. "Are you kidding me? It's only an expression! Why am I being taken seriously? Geez!" Gui Gui said flatly with a sarcastic tone, "Wonderful." The power suddenly returned, like nothing ever happened. Aaron asked, "What was that?"

Gui Gui's next words gave off they impression that something very important and personal would be told. "Okay, I have a story to tell you guys." Xiao Gui said, "I like stories." Gui Gui laughed. "You sound so childish! Ok, no, but seriously, listen." With that, he jumped out of his chair and sat down on the ground in front of Gui Gui. Aaron just sat down in a chair in a more dignified manner.

"It was a long time ago, when I was in second grade. I met this boy named Wei Yi. He was in my class, and we sat near each other. We also happened to ride the same school bus. At first, I always sat with Ya Tou. But then, around the middle of second grade, I started sitting with Wei Yi and talking to him more and more. We became best friends. I liked him, but I didn’t tell him because I wasn’t sure what was like at the time. Then one day he told me that his parents were making him go to a private school in America, and he was leaving at the end of the month. I felt so sad, and I started crying. Wei Yi gave me a promise: One day, he would find a way to send me a locket with his picture. This way, I would always know it was him, even when he is grown up. I would know the locket because it would look exactly like mine." With that, Gui Gui took off her necklace and laid it beside the other locket. They looked exactly alike. She opened hers, and in it was a picture of a little boy. "He bought me this locket, and gave me his picture." Gui Gui remininsced.

Aaron and Xiao Gui were shocked by this story. Aaron jealously thought, "How is it possible that everyone that likes her suddenly comes at one time? What the heck? Her childhood love, her godmother’s son, and an annoying stranger all happen to come this year. Why couldn’t they come at different times? One I can handle, maybe even two, but not three!"

"Did he give you a number?" Gui Gui asked. Xiao Hao answered casually. "Yeah, he told me to give it to you when you figured it out. He told me to tell you to meet him at the Sunshine Café one hour after you figure it out. So you have one hour." Gui Gui listened to the whole thing, and thought that it made perfect sense. But then she remembered his last words. "Wait. How will he know I've figured it out?"

Xiao Hao shrugged, letting her know he didn't quite understand it either. "Wei Yi has a weird intuition. If you think of him, he knows. It’s soweird. Maybe he’ll explain it to you when you meet him." Gui Gui was so excited, she started running around her house. She ran so fast, that she disappeared into her room, leaving the three guys downstairs clueless.

Xiao Gui was completely perplexed. "Hey! Where did she go?" Aaron was also puzzled. "She disappeared!" Then, they heard some noises coming from upstairs. Aaron went upstairs to look, and sure enough, Gui Gui is in her closet, throwing out clothes left and right. Aaron quietly went back downstairs.

"She's up there alright." Aaron confirmed. Xiao Gui was sputtering in amazement. "But how? She was just here 5 seconds ago. How could she have done that, flying?" Xiao Hao said jokingly, "Well, she is a ghost." Gui Gui came running down, dressed in a white plaid dress with black leggings and silver flats. She was carrying a silver tote.
Gui Gui twirled around. "Hey guys, how do I look?" Xiao Hao, Aaron, Xiao Gui all said in unison, "Great!" Gui Gui blushed. "Thanks guys." She looked at her watch. "Well, I’m going to go now. Wish me luck!" "Good luck!" Xiao Hao said.

With that, she skipped out of the door. "Wei Yi is back! What should I do? How should I react? I can’t believe he’s back! After all these years, he finally returns to me…." Gui Gui thought. Gui Gui stopped at the café, sighed, took a deep breath, and went in. She looked around her, and then heard a voice. "Gui Gui?"

She turned to her right, and saw a guy coming toward her. She recognized him immediately from the picture in the locket. She walked toward him and hugged him. Gui Gui asked in confirmation, "Wei Yi?" He nodded. "Hey Gui." Gui Gui asked the question that she had wanted to ask for so long. "What happened?" Wei Yi guided her to his table, and sat down.

"Well, I went to a private school in America. It was fun, but then my mom decided that it was time for me to return and finish my studies here. I immediately thought of you, so I asked my mom to find you. It was very hard to do, but she did it. That's how I knew you were in this area. I just didn't know exactly where you were. I have Xiao Hao to thank for that."

Gui Gui was amazed. Wow, that's awesome. "Gui, I have something to tell you that I should have told you a long time ago." Wei Yi said hesitatingly.
"What?" Gui Gui asked. "I like you. I have liked you since second grade. Will you be my girlfriend?" Wei Yi asked.
___________________________________________________________
Author’s Note:
Hey! Sorry for the cliffhanger! Did you guys like it? And just to clarify, yes, this is a GuiLun fanfic. I’ll continue to update lots! Comment!