Puzzle; Interlude

Falling for the Clumsy Sun

 

While things have been going pretty dandy for the Nam and Kim family, matters were brewing between the three members of the Shin family.

Ever since Hyunyong's last encounter with her beloved cousin and after following through with her advice, suffice to say that she hadn't change much since that day. Her paternal grandparents tried to tame her strong and spoiled personality but they couldn't do much as she is old enough to think on her own. She lasted six months living in the countryside when her grandparents had enough, had her packed her belongings and cursed her back to the city to never returnt to the home unless she learned to value what she had.

Returning home, her parents, who loved her so so dearly welcomed her with an open arms and instead although she greeted them back warmly as well, she, at the very same moment, asked them for money because she very much needed a shopping therapy after having to suffer half a year living with her grandparents.

You would think her parents wouldn't condone such behavior but since she had to go through such a suffering, her father couldn't help but pity her baby girl and immediately handed her his credit card. The girl squealed in delight and immediately ran off without even a thank you to her parents. Her parents simply shrugged it off and since then, they've been living the same as they used to. That is, until that one very bad morning after a couple of months being home, Mr. Shin received a very very long bill from his credit card. 

When the girl came home after a night out with friends, he confronted her about it but the girl simply brushed it off with her cute charm. It work that last time but not when her father received another bill the next week with about the same amount. He almost had a heart attack on the spot.

"Enough is enough!" Mr. Shin declared to himself and made it a point to teach his daughter about independence.

Knowing that her father received the bill of her partying for the week, Hyunyong wanted to lay low for the day and asked some of her friends if she could crash but none of them would let her. Having dreaded having to come knowing her father was there waiting for him. Sigh and shrugging of the feeling, she went home with the idea that her beloved father would fall for her aegyo charm once more.

"What's the worst he can do? I'm his only child anyway." She told herself as she got off her car and got inside the house.

Oh, how very wrong she was.

As soon as the walked into the living room, her father had her seated on the couch and lectured her about the bill and her lifestyle.

"But daddy..." She started but got cut off when her father glared at her and for once in her life, she truly felt afraid of her own father. "Enough of that as well." Mr. Shin sternly said with a gruff and deadly tone.

"This is your last chance, Hyunyong-ah. Either you start working for the company or find a job that suits you or I do what my father did." Mr. Shin threatened.

Hyunyong recovered from her fear and merely scoffed at her father's threat. "What? What are you going to do? Make me work the fields? Been there. Done that."

"Hyungyong-ah." Mrs. Shin finally spoke out after listening to her husband's reasoning and after recalling how much she acted through under the care of her own mother. "You're father's right. You're turning twenty nine and yet you still have no proper experience in life. I mean you should at least have one or two job experience by now."

"Tch. You're one to talk. It's not like you've had any other job besides, managing the snack house halmoni gave you." She scoffed and what happened next was something she never believed any of her parents were capable of doing to her. As soon as the gasp and the ringing settled, she turned to her father and still she could she his face fuming in anger.

"Pack your things and get out." Mr. Shin growled down at her daughter a minute after slapping her.

"A-appa." Hyunyong pleaded but she saw the resolve in her father's features.

"You have less than an hour. PACK YOUR THINGS AND LEAVE NOW!" Mr. Shin yelled and she scrambled on her feet to her room taking whatever she had and shoving them in her luggage before leaving.

 

Hyunyong drove to all of her friends' home hoping that one would take her in after telling them her sob story but not one of them even offered. She did the same with some of her ex-boyfriends and she got the same reaction. Some of them even agreed to her parents decision and told her to find a job before slamming the door at her face.

Pissed and with nowhere to go, she drove to a bar and drunk herself into a stupor.

 

Yongsun had just about finished a schedule at past two in the morning when she checked her phone and saw on her phone that she'd received a lot of missed calls, some coming from her husband but more on an unfamiliar number. Feeling the need to call back, she did just so.

"Unnie? Aren't you riding with us?" Wheein asked while Hyejin leaned outside the window waiting for the two.

"Hold on." She said and walked a distance to make the call. After that, she made another call and a minute later, she returned and asked the manager if she could drop her off at a nearby cafe instead of home.

"Oh? Wae? Are you meeting ahjussi this late?" Byul asked a little concerned of her sudden behavior.

"Kind of. Don't worry. Oppa and I just have something to talk about." She said smiling at the girls.

 

Fifteen minutes later, her husband arrived and found her despite her mask.

"What's wrong?" Eric asked as soon as he saw her and she said nothing but kissed his lips instead as they left the cafe. Once they were out of the prying ears of other people, she told him what was going on and asked her where before driving them both there.

"I'll go-"

"No, love. You stay here and I'll go get her." Eric said pulling her seatbelt back on and planting a gentle kiss before closing the door. "Lock it and wait for me, okay?"

"Arasso." She answered and pressed the lock watching her husband enter the backdoor of the bar.

Minutes later, he came back out carrying her cousin with the aid of another man. She covered her face with the mask and immediately got out to help open the door so that her husband the staff could put her inside the car.

Eric thanked the man who simply nodded then asked Yongsun for an autograph gushing about how big of a fan of Mamamoo he was.

"Thank you so much for your help." She said to Jay - the bartender, who just can't stop smiling. "I promise that noone will know about this." He said and Yongsun said her thanks once more before they drove home.

 

"Morning, hon." Eric asked placing her food on the table. "I didn't think you'd be up this early. I though you said you don't have any schedules for today?" He asked brushing a clump of hair out of her her face.

"I don't." She said leaning in to his embrace. "I just can't sleep much after last night." She whispered.

"Oh. So how are you feeling?" He asked swaying her around.

"I'm going to be fine." She answered and placed a morning kiss on him. "Now, let's eat. You still have work today."

"I'll reschedule it. I want-"

"Andwae. Eat and you go. This is a very important photoshoot. You don't just reschedule it." She said and he argued but what she said goes.

"Sure you don't want me to stay?" Eric asked as he leaned on his car door with his wife still in his arms.

"Go. You'll be late." Yongsun giggled as he let his hands slide down her waist tickling her sensitive spots.

"Call me every hour, okay?" He said and she just groaned. "I mean it, love. Or I'm staying home."

Rolling her eyes, she pushed him inside the car and kissed his lips. "Neh, Mr. Nam. Now, go before Jimin starts nagging me with her calls again."

Eric chuckled and started the car, driving it out of the garage with his wife waving goodbye.

When her husband was finally out of view, Yongsun closed the garage and returned inside to check on her sleeping guest.

 

"Uggh..." Hyunyong groaned as she woke up with a nasty taste in and a throbbing headache. Crawling out of bed with half opened eyes, she tried locating her bathroom but didn't understand why she walked in on an empty closet instead. She tried another door and was greeted with the bright colored tiles of the bathroom.

"What the hell?" She groaned and turned the shower on to clear out her headache and ease the hangover. After the showering, it was only then where the past events of yesterday and last night dawned in on her. She cursed to herself and then thought about it again with a confident scoff. Wrapping herself in a bathrobe, she looked in the mirror and told herself, 'There is no way she is going to kick me out. I'm her cousin, right?'

WIth that confidence stilled in her mind, she walked out of the bathroom and screamed at the sight of the younger girl sitting on the bed waiting for her.

"What in fresh hell did you do that for?!" She yelled at the unfazed girl.

Yongsun simply got up and took a look at her cousin and said with a calm tone, "Wait here. I'll grab something for you to wear."

Hyunyong didn't get to say a word before the door closed behind her only to open minutes later with Yongsun holding a pile of clothing for her.

"Here. I'll wait for you in the dining room." Yongsun said and went out of the room again without her managing to say a word.

 

Yongsun could just feel the nerves wanting to break out as she heated the soup and placed the food in the table. She wanted to scold herself so much about bringing her older cousin home instead of dumping her at some hotel but she knew better than that. She wasn't that cold and uncaring as much as she tried to make herself believe when it came to the Shin girl and her parents. But she also didn't want to seem like a masochist.

Her thoughts trailed off as she head footsteps toward the room indicating the presence of her unnie. Scooping the soup in a bowl, she brought the tray of food out and motioned for the Shin girl to sit down while she placed the food in front of her.

"Eat." She said more like an order.

Hyunyong just scoffed and used the spoon to scoop up the soup but stopped when she remembered how much of a terrible cook the girl was.

"Oppa cooked it. So eat." Yongsun said as if she read what was on her mind.

Shrugging she started to eat and none of them spoke until she was done.

"Why?" Yongsun asked while she started clearin up the dishes.

"What? Why what?" Hyunyong retorted with her sassy tone.

"Why me? Why call me? " She asked placing the tray of empty dishes on the counter without facing the older girl. "You have quite the list of friends and yet you called me. WHY. ME."

There was a long pause and Yongsun wasn't certain she'd ever get an answer from her. "Nevermind." She muttered and started placing the dishes in the dishwasher.

"Because none of them were my friends from the beginning. Because you wouldn't throw me out. Because... Because... Because despite your hatred for me, I know you still consider me as family." Hyunyong said before walking away not wanting to let the younger girl see anymore of her pathetic side.

 

An hour passed and right after making her phone call, Yongsun walked into study where she was sure her cousing would be. It had always been her favorite part of the house when they came to visit their grandmother back when  they were younger. She'd always find her unnie sitting on her favorite couch with a pencil and a sketchpad in hand drawing things she liked.

As much of a Shin she was, through her drawings, anyone couldn't deny that the Kim blood was strong in her.

"You always liked this room. It was always your favorite." Yongsun said breaking Hyunyong's concentration on a book she found and started to read.

"I know." Hyunyong muttered putting the book down.

Sitting herself down, they looked at each other and finally got herself asking the question she's been wanting to ask for the longest time.

"What happened?" She asked looking at the girl. "To us, I mean. What happened to us?"