Puzzle; Memories

Falling for the Clumsy Sun

 

 

So far... Having dealt with her cousin and figured out Byul and Eric's secret, Yongsun still felt unease for some reason. Even with the new album release and promotions upcoming for Decalcomanie, that feeling of something  like an itch in the back of your throat that you try so hard to reach but just can't find the specific spot.

Just what is it? She kept asking herself that it basically sounded like a mantra for her.

Lucky for her, the promotions for their new song helped her release a bit of that frustration brewing inside her.

But then again, promotions don't last long and after months of filled up schedules, the days and nights started growing longer as their activity calendar is barely filled to give them rest but still keeping them on their toes.

 

During one of the family nights where Eric and Yongsun would go and have dinner with their parentals, Bongsun noticed the mood change of her granddaughter. She figured not to ask her about it immediately and decided to watch over her and her husband if in case it was a problem between them. By tea time, while Yongsun chatted with her in-laws, Bongsun sneaked into the kitchen and found her son-in-law and confronted her about what she had observed but the man simply sighed and answered he had the slightest bit of clue.

"I talked to her about it but she just brushed it off." Eric answered with a sigh. "Right now, I'm just waiting it out for her to tell me when she feels like it."

"Hmm..." The elder answered before turning her back to him and helping the young man by carrying the dessert out to the family room.

Whatever it is, I can see that she had been going through it for long. She thought and made it a point to have her clear a day within the week for them to spend together.

Two days later, on a bright and sunny Saturday, Kim Bongsun got what she wanted as she dragged her granddaughter out for a date to the mall where they shopped and ate to their hearts content. Thankfully, none of Solar's or Mamamoo's fan, bother the both of them as they managed to get along well without the need for security.

While having their snack time out and about in one of the snack houses Yongsun frequented during her teenage days, she noticed how her granddaughter disguised herself and pulled her in on the back end of the restaurant where there wasn't much lighting and talked to her in a hushed voice.

"If I wasn't your grandmother, I wouldn't blatantly ask you why you are trying so hard to hide yourself but seeing as I am your halmoni..." Bongsun, with a raised brow, leaned in closer to her side, "Would you mind telling your halmoni as to why you are acting like a convict who escaped her jail cell?"

"I-uhm..." Yongsun stammered but cleared and said (still in a hushed voice), "Maybe because I still haven't approached Tteuk-imo?.."

"Well, as your grandmother," Bongsun gave it a dramatic pause as she settled back in her seat then said, "...it is my responsibility to tell you the truth. And the truth is, you look absolutely ridiculous in that facade."

Yongsun was about to say something back when the said Tteuk-imo came delivering their food herself.

"Well, look who it is! It's nice to see you again Mrs. Kim." The middle aged woman brightly greeted Bongsun and she returned the gesture before Tteuk-imo took one step behind Yongsun and pulled the cap off before pulling the string of the mask hitting Yongsun behind the ear. "Ridiculous! Do you really think I wouldn't recognize you with those things on? Aigoo! I could just-"

The woman was cut off by another customer giving Yongsun a lucky break as the lady left grumbling about giving her more beating next time.

Bongsun couldn't help it as she picked up her tea and right as her lips were about to touch the ceramic, she smarted,"Well, I told you so."

Yongsun simply groaned and grabbed her chopstick so she could start eating her tteokbokki.

 

"Halmoni, ever wondered how things would be like if my parents are still around?" She jerked and had her guard on as soon as she realized what came out of .

Yongsun had no idea where that came from. One minute she was nursing a full stomach and the next, she didn't even notice she had moving asking a question she's always thought to herself but never asked or spoken with anyone else.

When she looked at her grandmother, the old woman didn't seem to have been fazed by her question but rather somewhat relieved and a eureka sort of expression is displayed on her face.

"Halmoni... I- uhm... I'm so-"

"Everything would surely be different if they were here with us today." Bongsun answered catching her by surprise and her reaction simply made the old woman want to just hold her grandchild in a hug.

A little baffled that for once her grandmother finally answered a question regarding her parents, it took her seconds before she finally relaxed in her arms and wrapped her arms around the woman in return.

"They'd be more than proud of how much of a woman their beautiful daughter has become." Bongsun continued as she pulled out of the hug and cupped the girl's face to see a bit of clarity. "Now, come. There's somewhere I need to bring you."

Still taken aback that her grandmother had freely spoken about her parents, she sat there for seconds before being scolded to get up and follow the older woman.

 

"Halmoni, where..." The words hanged as she got off the car and took in her surroundings. Although a lot has changed in the past six years, as soon as everything sunk in, her body whipped to face her grandmother and she asked, "H-halmoni. W-why? Why are we here?"

Her voice started to crack as the image of her screaming her crying and lungs out until she started coughing up blood before passing out. Recalling that day, she just wanted to get back in the car and drive as far away from that place and into her husband's waiting arms where she could feel nothing but love and comfort.

 

Bongsun knew the precautions of having brought her grandchild to this place. 

Not once but twice had this place caused the both of them immense pain and suffering and so, she had to be in control of her own emotions and handle everything in a way where none of them both can or will collapse emotionally and or physically.

Noticing the tears sweeling in Yongsun's eyes and her body starting to shake, Bongsun wrapped her arms around the girl and started to console her.

"Hush, child. Hush. Everything will be alright." She whispered sweetly but the words weren't for her child's consolation alone. "Yes. Everything will be alright."

Once Yongsun finally calmed down, Bongsun started talking about the incident that took both her child and his wife's life. Even almost taking the short life of the present heiress of the Kim Corps. 

"When your parents were outside and saw me laying on the ground with no trace of you, they both rushed back in to find you. Only, they didn't manage to get back out... "

 

23 Years Ago...

"O-oppa!" The tiny little girl called out to the young boy she had been following who was also carrying a camera. "Play!" The young girl demanded from the little boy who seemed amused at the girl's warrant for his attention.

"Arasso. What do you want to play?" Asked the boy letting the camera dangle around his neck.

"Toy!" The little babe squeaked using her chubby little fingers to point at the camera around his neck.

"Eoh? This one? But this is not a toy. Andwae." Seven year old Eric said but his mind immediately changed when he saw the pout and tears swelling in the eye of the younger child. "Fine. But you have to put it around your neck."

"Ottay! Gib! Pwease!" The girl replied with a wide smile and waiting arms.

Eric chuckled and pinched the chubby cheeks. "You're cute. Eoh? What's your name again?"

"Ttoki Yongttun!"  Yongsun answered while curiously checking out the camera in her hand.

Eric laughed one more time as the girl didn't know how to prounounce certain letters just yet. The boy wanted to ask more questions but then he saw an alarming sight behind the girl and heard people screaming from inside the building. Grabbing the girl, he pulled her behind a tree and told her to stay there.

"Oppa?" The innocent child cocked her head to the right confused at the boy's sudden behaviour.

"Stay here. Okay? STAY HERE." Eric said waiting for her to say something in return and when she nodded with a cute smile he took his jacket off and wrapped it around the girl before running back inside the building.

 

"Yeobo! Eomonim doesn't have our Yongsun! Yongsun's missing, Yeobo!" A frantic Mrs. Kim screamed as soon as she found her husband who was handing a young boy to his parents.

"MWORAGOH?!" Kim Jungsu's voice radiated.

"I think she might still be inside, yeobo! Our little bunny's inside!" Kim Iseul frantically cried grabbing on to her husband's shirt.

Jungsu looked at the burning building and without any second thoughts he told his wife to stay there before running back in. But the wife wouldn't listen and followed after her husband despite the fireman's screaming for them to stop. And as soon as the husband and wife entered the burning building, everyone outside witnessed and heard the collapsing of the beam holding the entrance to the building. Within minutes, the building was engulfed in fire  and sure enough, anyone inside would have been burned or burried in the debris.

As much as the Kim Matriarch pleaded for the firemen to bring back her child, the men could do nothing but console the old lady as coroners zipped the body bags after the woman had confirmed the identity of the two.

"The child..." Kim Bongsun muttered and she turned to the chief of firemen. "M-my.. My grandchild. W-where is my grandchild?"

The fireman seemed confused. "We only found eight adult bodies of adults but no child."

Panic drew in her face and as if on cue one of the firemen screamed for everyone to shut up and when the crowd grew quiet, the evident cry of a child echoed around them.

"Yongsun!" Kim Bongsun ran towards the fireman and took her grandchild in her arms. "Hush, child. Hush. It's okay. Everything will be okay."

 

Days after the incident, staying behind after the burial, Bongsun held her grandchild's hand who just sang one of the songs she made while playing with the camera she had around her neck when they were approached by a couple.

"Mrs. Kim?" The man asked and she nodded. "I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thank you." Bongsun said then politely inquired who they were.

The man and his wife introduced themselves and then without a word, they both knelt on the grass covered dirt and said their gratitude towards her family.

"Please stand up. You're scaring my grandchild." She asked the couple and the two did so but not without Misun noticing the familiar contraption around the adorable child's neck.

 

Getting out of the car, Yongsun took in a deep breath. For the first time in how long, she felt herself more free than ever. She knew whatever it was that weighed her heart down had been lifted and she couldn't be more relieved.

"Are you okay, child?" Bongsun asked when she still hasn't closed the door.

Leaning down, she gave the woman a hug and kissed her cheek. "Thank you, halmoni."

Mrs. Kim replied with a caress on her cheek before she closed the door and watched it drove away. When the car disappeared from view, Yongsun stayed for a while sitting on the porch watching the sun set until she saw the gate open and her husband's car drive in.

"Hi." Eric greeted with a smirk soon as he got out and Yongsun just jumped on him with a kiss on the lips. "Hi." She greeted with her lips still brushing his.

"Hmm. I should ask halmoni to steal you from me more often." He teased and just smacked his chest lightly.

"You talk when you're the one who kidnapped me from her." She smarted while he raised a brow. "Well, I don't see you complaining now, do I?"

"Tch." Feeling her stomach rumble, she sighed and nudged her 'kidnapper'. "Kidnapper-ssi, aren't you going to feed your prisoner?"

"Hmm... Is my prisoner trying to flirt for me to cook for her?" He teased wrapping his arms around her waist.

"Maybe?" She blinked her eyes innocently.

Playful, are we? Eric thought then smirked leaning closer to her ears. "Really? Hmm... If you think about it, I'm also kind of hungry."

"Huh?"

"I'm hungry for my wife, love." He whispered with a husky voice making his wife yelp and when he tried to tighten his hold, she pushed him away and ran inside the house. Eric couldn't help but let out a hearty laugh following his wife inside.

 

 

*N: Yeap... HI!! :)