Meeting You... Again

Falling for the Clumsy Sun

"Halmoeni loves you so much my beautiful sun." Kim Bongsun petted her granddaughter's hair as they waited patiently at the reserved room. "You know that, right?"

Yongsun gave her grandmother a beautiful smile and hugged her. Bongsun smiled but inside her heart was stirring. 

Her smile, though beautiful, it wasn't as radiating as it was before. Some years back, everytime her grandmother would visit, she'd come running out with her silliness and beautiful smile that all her efforts of suffering a couple of hours of car ride was worth it.

Now, after finding a secret of her true identity, she didn't just lose her radiant smile, she lost her voice.

 

"Um-" Yongsun shut as soon as she heard something slam on the floor. 

She just got home from school and she had a great news to tell her parents, something that would make them really proud of her, but when she enter the house, it seemed like no one was there until she heard their voices coming from their room. She was going to knock until that loud banging stopped her.

'A-are they... But they never fought.' She thought and being a very curious girl, she sat there quietly and leaned her ear to the door to listen.

"Yonsei University? Is she being ridiculous? Does she really think she can enter that school with how she is? Ah cham~" She heard her father say.

'Yonsei? Are they-' 

"Ha! As if she even has the brains to get through. Plus, where is she even going to get the money for her to attend such university?" She heard her mother chime in.

Although she knew of how her parents never favored her and always loved and spoiled her older sister, Yongsun never stopped doing things to try to please and gain her parents favor. But clearly, from the sounds of it, she won't be gaining them anytime soon.

"Don't tell me she expects us to pay? Ha!" She gasped in surprise from the loud sound of something slamming and quickly held her hands over . "I've wasted enough money on that parasite! Why would I waste anymore when I have my own beautiful daughter to care for." 

'But... I-I'm your daughter too.' She said to herself.

"You're right, yeobo." Her mother's voice agreed again. "I mean, how much money is she going to drain from us? This is all my mother's fault! I wouldn't have taken that brat in this family if she hadn't threaten to take my inheritance from me."

'Taken that brat in? Wait. Are they... They can't be...'

"Tch! If it weren't for our Hyunyong, I wouldn't have made some second thoughts and left that brat without the money."

"I know. And what were your idiot brother and his wife doing in that building anyway? I mean, if they had half the brain you have, we wouldn't be stuck raising their brat."

'Brother? Building? W-what are they talking about?' Her mind was getting more and more puzzled by the minute and the feeling of something bad and vile was crawling up her belly.

"And you wonder where she gets her brains from." Her mother's remark caused them to laugh for a while. "Don't worry, yeobo. In no time, that idiot of a Yongsun will become legally an adult and we can finally kick her out."

Mr. Shin scoffed. "FInally. This family can finally be a family without that insufferable parasite."

She heard everything. Word by word. She heard everything. 'So I guess, unnie was right.' She told herself and felt her face get wet a little. 'Mwoyah? Why are you crying? Didn't you promise never to cry anymore?'

She didn't know how but after that incident, she only saw their faces one last time and never again.

 

"Aigoo~. What are they taking so long? Did they run into some trouble by any chance?" Bongsun said as she saw that the Nam family were running late fo their meeting.

Yongsun only held her grandmother's hand caressing it to tell her not to worry.

"Don't worry, my beautiful, they will be here. Oh! There they are!" Her grandmother exclaimed getting up from her chair as the door opened welcoming the said family.

"Aigoo~. Mianhamnida, eomonim." A woman, who seemed to be in her early fifthies bowed and apologized as soon as she saw them.

"We're sorry we're late eomonin." The older gent with the gray streaks on both side of his head apologized as well.

The younger man, simply gave the old woman a smile and bowed his head.

"Aniya. It's okay, my child and I haven't waited that long. I pressume you ran into some trouble on your way?" Bongsun politely lied.

"Ah, neh, eomonim. The car broke down on our way here so we had to wait for a taxi to take us." The older gentleman answered.

"Omo. Well, I'm glad you're all alright. Now why don't we all take a seat?" She lead the family to their chair before sitting on her own.

 

As they arrived, her mother quickly handed the taxi driver some cashed and fussed them out the cab quickly. They were running late and she didn't want to be anymore later than they were.

The receptionist quickly recognized them and had a stewardess lead them to their private room. The minute they entered, he didn't know why and as though being pulled by gravity, his eyes landed on a figure standing a few feet away from them. 

His jaw dropped. 'It's her. I- I can't believe it.' His mind was in a blur for a moment and he just can't help but keep his eyes on her. 

Even with their parents' constant talking, he couldn't help but keep his eyes on her. 'It's her but... What is she doing here?'

"Omo~. It seems like our son is very much taken with your granddaughter." Mrs. Nam giggled as she tapped her son's arm.

It was only when his mother tapped his arm did he feel his face burn in embarassment after realizing that his been busy staring at his new fiancee for a while now.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude, ma'am." He stood up and bowed to the host.

"Aigoo." Bongsun laughed. "Don't worry. You're not my Yongsun's first victim."

"Eh? Ah..." Mr. Nam nodded his head and laughed along even Mrs. Nam laughed when she got what the woman was trying to say.

"My dear child here has been breaking a lot of hearts lately and I'm hoping she won't break yours." She said boasting about her granddaughter. 

"I can see why. And I myself am hoping she won't break all our hearts." Mrs. Nam looked at her so preciously and her husband nodded in ageement. "Now, son, why don't you introduce yourself."

Eric quickly got off his chair and bowed. "Annyeonghasaeyo, ma'a-"

"Aniya. You should call me halmoni. You are my grandson from now on." Bongsun declared.

He didn't know why but he somehow felt like jumping in joy from what she just said. "Neh. Annyeonghasaeyo, halmoni. Eric Nam-imnida." He was only asked to introduce himself and he should've just stopped their but even before he could stop himself, his mouth opened and said, "And from this day on, I will take care of your granddaughter and give her all my love."

"Omo? Jjinja?" Mrs. Nam couldn't help herself and react in pure joy.

When he turned to Mrs. Kim, he was surprised at her reaction or for the lack of it atleast. And it seems he wasn't the only one who noticed it.

"Uh, Mrs. Kim, you don't seem to be happy. Are you upset with my son?" His father asked sounding a bit confused.

 

When the family entered, she immediately shielded herself and faced the family to bow. When she got up, there she saw it. He was staring at her. Their eyes met for a moment and usually, when this happens, the guy would be the first to look away. Instead, she turned away and sat back down trying to shake the feeling of familiarity with the man.

After Mr. and Mrs. Nam introduced themselves, she waited for his turn but he just sat there and staring at her.

'Can't he look at anything else?' She thought feeling a little annoyed. 'Relax Yongsun, his not doing anything bad to you. Just relax. But...' She looked at him for a bit and turned to the window. 'What is it that keeps bugging me about him?'

Her own thoughts were muddled when she heard the laughter of the elders and turned to smile at the old couple. Then, finally the young man stood up, introduced himself, and made that sudden confession.

'Wha... Did he...' Yongsun tensed not knowing how to react with his sudden confession. She did 

"Eric-ssi," Her grandmother started but he shook his head.

"Aniyo, halmoni. Please. You don't need to be formal with me." He said politely and the elder nodded her head.

"Eric, like I said, you are not the first one to fall for my child's beauty." Yongsun felt her grandmother's aura suddenly changing and it worried her. This wasn's the fist time where her grandmother spoke about her condition but this was the first where she acted this way. 

'There!' Yongsun exclaimed to herself as soon as she saw him hesitate. Not wanting to let them see her disappointment, she got up and signed to her grandmother. "I'm sorry halmoni but may I use the comfort room?"

Her grandmother nodded and said,"Don't be too long my sweet."

She also answered with a nod. She tured to the Nams and politely bowed before leaving for the ladies room.

 

'Wait. Did she just...But...' Eric thought a little caught off guard. Lucky enough, his mother was the first to ask the question and he was glad she did.

"Omo. Mrs. Kim, did your granddaughter..." Mrs. Nam was tried to look for the right word,"...signed?"

Mrs. Kim nodded and directed her gaze at Eric once more. "Now, do you still think you can keep your word after finding out that my child can't speak."

Eric didn't even think and said, "It wasn't a promise. And yes, I intend on keeping it."

"Excuse me, Mrs. Kim, I don't mean to be rude." Mr. Nam interjected. "But how? I pressumed your granddaughter was just shy."

Eric saw her smile sadly.

"She is, Mr. Nam." She answered and looked at the door for a moment as if securing that she wouldn't get caught. "You see, six years ago, my granddaughter experienced something traumatic and over time, she'd lost her voice. The doctors, most of them, it was as normal as it can be and she would've even lost more than her voice had she succumb to the depression."

"Omo~." It was all the words his mother could say.

His father, a stern and usually stoic man, nodded apologeticly.

"This event, seeing as I am marrying your granddaughter, shouldn't I know what happened?" Eric asked treading carefully.

Bongsun smiled and nodded. "I'd would like to explain but it is a story for another time."

"But, Mrs. Kim." Mrs. Nam didn't want to let it go like that.

"Yeobo, don't. Mrs. Kim said for another time." Mr. Nam said holding her hand.

"Eoh. Neh." His mother nodded and soon enough they drifted into another topic.

'Six years... But I, she...' He refused to believe that this happened six years ago.

 

Eric was simply walking around with his camera in tow and was taking pictures of anything he liked. With his clothes and the camera dangling on his neck, he looked like a real photographer and people only smiled at him when they notice that he was taking picture of them. Some were offended and he'd simply and politely tell them that he'll delete it and do it with them watching. 

Feeling a little tired, he looked at his watch and noticed that his been at it for a while now. He was glad he decided to take some more shots near the shopping district and decided to take a break at a nearby cafe.

"Here you go. Enjoy." Said the lady at the counter and he smiled back before taking a spot at the deck area.

He was enjoying watching people go about as he ate his burger when he heard this loud dolphin like noise and looked around to see where it was coming from. Facing his right, she saw a group of girls having fun, particularly the girl with the brunnette hair.

"Aniya!" The girl with the chinky eyes and long hair whined while the three others laughed.

He didn't know why but the moment she heard the dolphin laugh again, he lurned and immediately knew it was that brunette girl. He then felt like a zombie and taking his camera, he quietly and sneakily took their picture before focusing it on the brunette. He took a couple of pictures but even then he felt like he wasn't satisfied and just found himself gawking at the girl.

He just continued gawking at the girl until he sensed a prickly gaze directed at him. He looked at the other girl and sure enough, that prickly feeling came from her and her deadly glare. He averted his gaze but couldn't help it and looked back to their direction only to be covered by the sight of the girl with the nasty glare walking to his table.

"Byul-ah! Hajima!" He heard someone scream from their table but didn't see who it was.

The girl, Byul, took a chair across him and opened her hand.

"Ei?" He simply asked still dazed at what just happened.

"Can I have a look at your camera, ahjussi?" Byul asked.

'Ajhussi what now? Wait why am I giving it to her?'

The girl seemed to expertly handle his camera and he saw that she smiled with the pictures he took.

"Woah. You're a great photographer, ahjussi. But don't you think you're far too old to be taking pictures of teenage girls?" Her amazed tone was followed with sassiness and he pretty much went on defensive mode.

"Yah. I'm not an ahjussi. I'm only twenty two. And if..." He felt so down just thinking about what he was about to suggest.

"And if what?" The kid asked.

"I'll delete the pictures if you want me too." He said with a pout.

He was expecting her to say yes until she just heard a bunch of shutter sounds coming from his camera. He looked up and sure enough the girl had the camera stretched out and the rest of the girls posing from the other table.

'What?...'

"Here you go." Byul handed him back his camera. "Here's the deal, you keep our pictures but you pay for our meal. How about it?"

Well, compared to having his pictures deleted, he just nodded and watched as the girl called Byul got up and returned to her friends. He then watch them get riled up and start getting up to leave.

"Kamsahamnida, ahjussi!" They all chorused as they left with Byul following behind after sliding a piece of paper on his table.

He didn't bother to look at it until the girls were out of his view. He can't help but follow that girl with brunette hair. Then, when they were finally gone, he took the paper and it read;

                                          Her name's Yongsun.

'Yongsun. Beautiful.' 

 

"Adeul, are you okay?" He heard his mother pulling him to reality and when he looked up, he waas greeted with the face he's been daydreaming about.

"Aigoo. Are you that infatuated with your fiance, Eric my boy?" His father patted his back and laughed.

"Aigoo. Yongsun-ah, your beauty really is something." Bongsun added and the elders simply laughed to their hearts content why the two of them suffered in embarassment.

"So, when is the wedding?" Mr. Nam asked.

"Well, there's really no point in putting it off for a couple months for them to get to know each other." Bongsun shrugged as she said those words and Yongsun reached out to her grandmother.

"Halmoni, what are you trying to say?" She asked with her signs.

"Hmm. I can agree with that." Mr. Nam said in agreement. "Do you think two weeks is enough time for the preparation?"

"T-two weeks?" Eric reacted in surprise.

"Aigoo, yeobo. I've had our boys wedding planned even before he was born. I think we can have the wedding in a weeks time." Mrs. Nam said and it seems like even Mrs. Kim agrees to it.

"Well, I myself had my dear's wedding planned for so long now. So a week it is." Bongsun agreed.

"Mom. Dad. Don't you think you're rushing is way too much?" Eric spoke in english like he would when he gets flustered.

On the other hand, if Yongsun could only find her voice, she'd be doing the same but instead, she was furiously making hand signals to her grandmother and here's how it went.

"Halmoni! What? Why? A week?! Can't you atleast give us time to get to know each other?" 

"Aigoo! What are you two fussing on about?" Kim Bongsun said and held Yongsun's hand. "You know, back in my days, before your grandfather and I got married. We didn't even have the chance to meet and see each other. Our parents simple told us we were getting married and the very first time we saw each other was on our wedding day."

"But halmoni!" Yongsun triedd to protest some more.

"Halmoni. Are you sure about this? I mean, I'm a total stranger." Eric added.

That earned him Bongsun's cocked eyebrow. "My, my. Weren't you the one who said you'll take care and love my little dearest from now on? Are you-"

"No." He cut her off before she could finish. "I'm not backing off. I'm merely more concerned for your granddaughter."

Bongsun nodded again in approval. "I see that you're already keeping your word. Even though, this wedding shall happen in a weeks time."

 

 

 

 

 

*A/N: Hello guys!

         This will be my first chapter of so many and I hope you enjoy it. 

         Please don't forget to comment, subscribe and upvote. :D Thank you.