|Eight|

Heartless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 8 


**WARNING: MENTION OF .**  

Jangmi was woken up by her very own nightmare again. However, this time her room was still dark, telling her that the sun has yet to rise up. She sat up and let out a silent sigh as she wiped the beads of sweat that had formed on her forehead in her sleep. She suddenly felt the cold breeze coming from her window, making her frown. Her window had been opening on its own in the middle of the night.

 

It had always been like that and when she told Jin about it, he told her that maybe she had forgotten to close it the previous night. But she was sure that she did, in fact, close the window every night. She just let the window be, knowing that it’ll be opened again even when she closes it.

 

She was about to lie back down but she caught a glimpse of a dark figure at the corner of her room, near the vintage closet. She squinted her eyes to make sure that her eyes weren’t playing tricks on her. The figure suddenly moved making Jangmi tensed. “What are you doing here?” Jangmi asked, a little shocked when she saw that the dark figure was Jungkook. He made himself known, stepping out from the dark.

 

“You were having a nightmare.” Jungkook’s eyebrows creased, when he saw that some of her hair were matted with sweat. He had seen how Jangmi was tossing around the bed, mumbling incoherent words. She looked terrified in her sleep. He had seen her like that for days but he didn’t have it in him to approach her and comfort her, to wake her up from the nightmare she desperately wants to be woken up from.

 

But now, since she had found him out, might as well offer the comfort that he had always wanted to offer her.

 

Jangmi was slightly taken aback when she heard what he said. “Were you staring at me when I was sleeping?” She asked, suddenly feeling embarrassed and shy. Yes, shy. God, she was feeling shy in front of him.

 

“I was.” He said bluntly as he approached her. He sat on the edge of the bed and Jangmi frowned, realization dawned upon her.

 

“Were you the one who had been keeping the windows open?” She asked and Jungkook nodded, being honest. Jangmi gaped.

 

“How many times have you been in this room?” Jangmi asked, suddenly feeling very self-conscious. Jungkook simply gave a small smile, not answering the question verbally. It was enough to tell Jangmi that the amount of times she woke up with her windows opened, was the amount of times he had been to this room. Which meant the he had seen her sleep a lot of times. And this wasn’t the first time he had seen her have a nightmare.

 

Jangmi’s face flushed. She was glad that the room was fairly dark, so Jungkook won’t be able to see her face. That was what she thought but how wrong she was.

 

Vampires have night vision, and Jungkook was no exception. He saw how red Jangmi’s face was becoming and amusement danced in his eyes. “Come on. I’ll help you go to sleep.” Jungkook suddenly said and put his legs on the bed, preparing to lie down making Jangmi’s eyes widened, flustered.

 

“What are you doing?” Jangmi asked as he lay down, turning his body so that he was facing Jangmi.

 

“Helping you sleep. Come here.” He said and before Jangmi could even make a sound of protest, he pulled her arm, making her cheeks hit his cold hard chest. He wrapped his left arm around her shoulder, while his right around her waist, securing her body near his.

 

“Let me go.” Jangmi said, trying to struggle free but she knew it was a futile struggle. He’s a man, and she’s a woman. Not only was he a man, but he was a vampire. How can a woman, beat a vampire man in terms of strength? That was just impossible.

 

Jangmi gave up struggling and just lay there, her left ear pressed against his chest. “So it’s true that a vampire’s heart doesn’t beat.” Jangmi suddenly muttered under her breath, making Jungkook tensed. Normally, when she was in this position, there would always be a heartbeat. But this time, there wasn’t. Not even a faint sound of it.

 

“But they feel right?” Jangmi asked, lifting her head up to look at Jungkook’s beautiful eyes. It never failed to make her heart skip a beat, neither will it fail to send butterflies in her stomach. This feeling that she grew accustomed to whenever she laid her eyes on him. It was inevitable, and she was slowly starting to accept that.

 

She knew, she was starting to like him even when she interacted a lot more with his friends compared to him. He barely showed his face to her, and she was confused as to why her emotions would act like that around him but she didn’t care anymore. She was facing the music. She knew a heartbreak was waiting for her at the end of the path she was walking on, but she was willing to take the risk.

 

“Yes we do. Happiness, sadness, anger, fear, hate, love. We feel them like any other species.” Jungkook said, tilting his head down to look at her breathtaking eyes. Jangmi gave a small smile before resting her head back on his chest. Her hands uncomfortably placed between her chest and his toned abdomen, which she was sure were abs.

 

“Do you want to talk about it?” Jungkook suddenly asked and Jangmi just hummed in response, questioning him. She had her eyes closed, enjoying the unexpected comfort that Jungkook was bringing her. His body was cold, but she didn’t mind. Both of them were under the blanket, enjoying each other’s company.

 

“Your nightmare.” Jungkook simply said and Jangmi tensed at those 2 words. “It’s okay if you don’t want to.” Jungkook added after realizing that whatever nightmare she had, it definitely scared her to bits just thinking about it.

 

“No. If I don’t tell someone about it, I think I’d go crazy.” Jangmi said, opening her eyes. Her heart clenching just thinking about it. That day was the cause of the anxiety she had. It caused her to fall victim to depression that nearly took her life. No, it wasn’t the day that her family died. It happened way before that. And her parents had barely managed to get her out of depression.

 

“I had a brother.” She started, tears clouding her vision as she recalled his face. He was the best brother a sister could have. But that tragic day just had to take his brother away. No, it shouldn’t be tragic. He didn’t die. It was worse. It was worse than death itself. He was taken. Until today, she didn’t know what had happened to him. He might even be tortured. That was worse than death itself, wasn’t it?d

 

“I was 13 at that time. Young and foolish. I was walking home alone from school. It was dark by the time I left school since I had extra-curriculum activities. I was near the apartment building when I saw my brother left the lift lobby.” She continued, visualizing that day.

 

“I wanted to call out to him but he looked panicked, he had an almost crazed look in his eyes. It looked like he was in the brink of insanity. It was the first time I saw him like that so it honestly scared me. He didn’t even notice me when he was only 50 meters away from me.” She said, squinting her eyes once in a while at the remembrance of his face. Both of them had an between each other. It’s so big that Jangmi once thought that she was an accident. 12 years. That was the between them.

 

“Despite the fear, I followed him. The worry that I had outweighed the fear. I had always been small in size ever since I was young, so it was easy to hide from him. He even took a cab, and I took one to tail him. He got off at an abandoned warehouse, and I got off far enough so that he wouldn’t see me.” Jangmi gulped the accumulated saliva in as the of this nightmare was about to begin. It was a horrible nightmare. A horrible th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter