Chapter 11.5: A Sidestory

Obsessed [Kim So Eun & Kim Bum]

10 years ago when So Eun was 16 years old, she was invited to showcase her artwork at Keimyung University. So Eun was a famous mural painter at Ihwa -dong Mural Village, a faculty staff noticed her finishing one of her murals. The faculty staff approached So Eun and asked several questions before handing her a business card and invites her to come to Keimyung University a week after. Keimyung is accepting merit-based scholarship or where a student can present his/her academic, artistic, athletic or other abilities, and often factor in an applicant's extracurricular activities and community service record. The faculty staff ask So Eun to go, if she wants to, even if she's not participating for her to see Keimyung.

 

Kim So Eun was the only child of a single mother, she never knew her father. And from her maternal side, she has only one female cousin and the rest are all male. She lives with her mother in Gangwon-do up to her high school years and moved to Daegu to study at Keimyung university. Her mother was strongly against it beacuse it's very far from home and she needed to be in a dorm where she has to adapt certain manners and let new people come in to her life but, since it was a scholarship it would really hep her daughter to follow her dreams, it just scares her mother that So eun needs to be alone starting college life.

 

So Eun met Nana at the university where So Eun majored fine arts and Nana majored business administration. The two girls met at the cafeteria, Nana was looking for any available table that's near her and So Eun happens to be stitting at a table for four person but sits alone with her painitings and books. Nana asked if she could sit opposite So Eun, and that was there first meeting. As the week passes, Nana noticed that they have the same lunch break and took the oppurtunity to introduce herself to So Eun and asked if they can be friends. 

 

On her senior year, the head professor required all senior students to prepare an exhibition of at least 5 of their masterpieces for their finals. So Eun was on break and was roaming the campus when she saw the filming of 꽃보다 남자 [Boys Over Flowers]. There she saw Kim Bum for the first time and her heart was captured instantly.

 

Nana noticed that So Eun is busy, even though she's almost finished with her final presentation, there will be time that So Eun would sometimes missed or even cancel their lunch or dinner or even just a date with her. Nana simply couldn't keep up, what's up with So Eun and conluded o Eun has some extra curricular activities that she's not aware of. One day, So Eun excuses herself as she is going to run an emergency errand. Nana agreed and secretly followed her, Nana was amused once she found out where So Eun went.

 

Of what appears to be a filming of some sort of drama, boys and girls are in high school uniforms and are acting as students starts to run and form a circle to the entrance of the building and girls starts to squeal when 4 men entered the building. Nana saw So Eun as an extra and she starts to laugh and it echoed to the whole room where the filming crew looked at her. Nana apologizes and left the scene, So Eun noticed her and as soon as the filming ends she search for Nana.

 

 

So Eun was able to find Nana at the university cafe. Nana gazed at So Eun as she approaches her. "I'll sit here." As soon as So Eun sits down she suddenly pressed her two palms together, bow her head and asked for forgiveness for not telling Nana about her emergency errands. Nana, on the other hand, just laughed hysterically. "It's fine, just never thought of this."

 

---

I'll be also posting a series of side stories of some of the characters.

BTW: Gangwon-do is in the Northern part of Korea while Daegu is in the south. Ihwa Mural Village is a real place.

XoXo