Chapter 26

Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Jungkook-ah…”

They both stood there, dazed, for they didn’t know what is to say or do. They spaced out, thinking how they could’ve met like this, and when they finally realized it was Jimin’s scheme all along, he was already out of sight. Jungkook sighed, slightly annoyed at his hyung’s action but took a seat across Jamie anyway for he had truly missed her.

Jamie also couldn’t take her eyes off Jungkook, the image that she had tried so hard to tattoo in her brain was now right infront of her again. However, realizing she had stared at him for too long, she averted her gaze to her coffee and sat there silently.

“I’m sorry about Jimin hung… he’s like that sometimes… always doing what he thinks is the best for me without asking…”

“Well, it’s because he loves you…” Jamie smiles.

“Yea, I know…” Jungkook relaxes at the sight of her smile and laughs with her.

Neither one speaks again for a while. Jamie slowly takes the final sips of what is left of her coffee and makes eye contact with the boy now and then. He doesn’t avoid her gaze and would simply smile overtime their eyes met.

There was an inevitable awkwardness between them but neither one seemed to mind for they got to steal a few more glances at each other. But as the silence prolonged, the boy wondered if he was being too selfish by holding the girl hostage.

“Well, it was really nice to see you. I’ll take care of Jimin hung so you can leave if you want to…” Jungkook tried to put on his brightest smile so she won’t feel bad.

Jamie hesitated. Was leaving the best thing for she was the one who hurt him after all. She knew Jungkook was being the caring boy he always was and offered an escape, but even thought she knew she had no right, she chose to stay, “ No, it’s okay. I like talking with you.”

Jungkook was taken by surprise. One simple sentence from her lips completely broke down the wall he tried to put up between them. I guess he still was a fool for her after all.

He smiled as a sudden urge of playfulness took over, “Well, you haven’t spoken a word for almost 10 mins now, so if you want me to stay, you better start talking.”

“Wow, okay, mister. How have you been?”

“Oh no… Did you lose all your humor in the past few months?"

“Did you lose all your manners in the past few months?”

“Haha, never mind. Still feisty as ever.”

“Of course. Savage is my middle name.”

“Glad to see that you’re still the same.”

“Thanks?” Jamie pauses before she says the next sentence, “ you definitely look better.”

Jungkook blushes at Jamie’s comment but acts as if it did not affect him with a simple “Thanks.”

“Wow, no compliments back? You really did lose your manners,” Jamie teases as she shakes her head.

“Well, you’re just as pretty as I thought you'd be so…”

Jamie’s heart skips a beat at his cheesy, yet sincere comment. She chuckles to herself as she was in awe of the tension and chemistry that still existed between them despite their falling out, “you just made me shiver, that was so cheeeeesy!”

“You’re the one who asked for this. You practically forced me to compliment you.”

“Forced? Don’t be dramatic…”

The laughter continued for quite some time as they had many things to catch up upon. The initial awkwardness and discomfort were now nowhere to be found for the two bonded within seconds.

“So are you meeting anyone lately?” Jamie carefully brings up the subject.

“Meeting anyone? Yea, I’ve met up with the 97liners in Seventeen lately and went bowling.”

Jamie chuckles at his response, unsure if he was just dense or he purposely avoided the question, either way, she wasn’t gotten let this chance go to waste, “No, I mean, are you dating anyone?”

Jungkook was caught off guard. He wondered what her intentions were. Unable to figure her out, he decides to just answer truthfully, “ no, I’m not,” Jungkook states as he observes Jamie’s expression, “are you?”

“Me? No… I’m not either.”

“Really?”

“What do you mean really? Of course not… I’m not really popular with guys.”

“That’s not true,” Jungkook leans forward.

“The guys I know all treat me like a dude, not really a girlfriend material…”

“But that’s your charm, you’re unique… and just as pretty as any other girl… even better than them if you ask me…” Jungkook interrupts for he couldn’t bear to listen to her putting herself down.

“Thanks…” Jamie knew that those were only words of comfort but her heart was beating so crazily that she couldn’t bare to look him in the eyes, afraid that he might find out.

She was afraid. But more than anything else, she felt guilty for she was the one who let go of his hand first. She wondered if she even had the right to feel these butterflies after what she had done. However, Jamie was never the one to run away from fear; at least not again. She suddenly remembered Jimin’s request - speak your mind. Of course, she had no obligation, she knew that, but perhaps she was just trying to find a source of encouragement, something that will help her gain courage for she desperately needs it to take this dangerous step.

“and also… I’m not dating because I still like someone,” Jamie quietly stated while looking down to avoid his gaze, because she knew she won’t be able to finish her sentence if she saw his expression, “ I thought I would be able to get over him, but I was completely wrong… I guess I thought too highly of myself…”

Jamie held her breath as she waited for his response. She constantly tapped her feet on the floor out of anxiety. She felt every muscle in her body tighten and every second felt as long as a year. Jungkook, on the other hand, froze. He prayed that she was talking about him, but he couldn’t be sure, and the thought of the person being someone else enraged him. Yet somehow, he was able to suppress all his emotions and asked in a calm voice, “Why did you reject the person then? Why didn’t you give it a try?”

Jamie wasn’t fazed by such question for she had already expected it.

“ It seemed like the better options at that time. It was clear that I wouldn’t be able to see him often… Rather than suffering and breaking up in a miserable way, I thought it would be better just to not start since it only takes time to forget… but…”

“But…?”

“But… It was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter