Chapter 21

Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“So you’re seriously just going to stay here? At an empty parking lot... in the middle of the night?” Yugyeom turns around and asks her again, trying to persuade her one last time.

“Yea… I just need to calm down a little more before I go back to my friends…” Jamie repeats her reason while pushing Yugyeom toward the elevator.

“It’s dark in the bowling alley anyway… no one will notice. Plus, have you not watched enough horror films to know an empty parking lot at night is a bad sign…”

“Awww, is our Brownie scared?”

“Hey, it’s normal to worry about one’s best friend…”

“Yea yea, I’ll go up eventually… just a few more minutes…”

“Which is why I offered to stay with you…”

“Bam is waiting for you… And Jungkook too…”

Yugyeom couldn’t help but give in to Jamie’s push at the sound of that name.

“About Jungkook… Are you okay?” Yugyeom asks carefully.

“It’s been a year… Yes, I’m over it! I’m not going up there right now because of YOU!” Jamie shoves him a little as another punishment.

“Oh come on… I said sorry at least a hundred times now… What do I have to do to gain the forgiveness of the almighty Jamie?”

“Umm… a debt?”

“... What does that mean…. You want money?”

“No, but like a wish… you’ll have to pay back when I need you to do something,” Jamie smirks at Yugyeom with a small insidious laugh.

“... Sure…” Yugyeom answers unwillingly, unsettled by the little girl’s evil smile.

“Okay then… Now go!” Jamie gives Yugyeom a final push as he stumbles into the elevator.

“Don’t worry… I’ll go up soon” Jamie reassures him as she pushes the button and steps out of the elevator.

“I missed you…” Yugyeom confessed.

“Me too....”

They both gazed at each other with genuine smiles until the elevator door finally closed.

Jamie gave out a little sigh as she steps out into the parking lot again. She begins skipping through the empty place for she feels much more light and at ease now that she was finally able to resolve the problems with Yugyeom. She even began to hum a little, enjoying her long lost peace and relief.  However, her little victory celebration was interrupted by a sudden pull as someone grabbed onto her arm from behind. Jamie was so startled that she didn’t react until she swirled right in front of the shadowy figure. She was afraid to look up at first, but the figure felt so familiar that Jamie raised her head slowly and found a brightly smiling boy.

“Hey, long time no see,” Jungkook locks his eyes with Jamie’s, afraid that she will run away again.

“Yea, long time no see.” Jamie also stares back at his sparkling eyes, remembering all the features she had found so attractive. He was still the same but with a little more confidence and charisma.

“Umm, so what happened between you and Yugyeom?” Jungkook brings up the question cautiously. He wanted to ignore all the things he saw, but his curiosity was beyond his control.

“So you saw?”

“Ah, well.. It’s… uh... not that I wanted to stalk or spy on you guys…” Jungkook suddenly began to stutter, “umm… I was just going to check on you guys since you guys were taking so long… umm… and I figured you guys would go somewhere quiet…” Jungkook panicked and couldn’t find the words to explain, causing Jamie to chuckle.

“There’s the awkwardness and shyness I remember,” Jamie states as she laughs. Jungkook was relieved by her words and found himself lost in her smile; the laugh he had missed so much while he was away.

“So how have you been? You don’t seem to have changed either…”

“I’ll take that as a compliment and I’ve been well… Living the life I want…” Jamie answers vaguely.  

“Did you miss me? I certainly missed you guys.” Jungkook asks playfully, to which Jamie only replied with a light smile.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t contact you often… At all for that matter… I lost my phone so…” Jungkook apologizes.

“It’s fine… You must have been busy…”

“But why were you so hard to reach..?”

“Me…?”

“Yea… I mean I tried calling Got7 so many times to ask for your number but they didn’t answer… and when they did, they always hang up quickly…”

“You called them?”

“Well, not me… but my hyungs…”

“Oh I see…”

“And I actually got your phone number in the end but I guess you don’t answer foreign phone calls or messages…”

“What? I mean… I’m a bit to cautious to reply to those but….I didn’t get anything…”

“Wait what? Is this not your number?”

“Ummm… No… No it’s not….”

“Seriously?! Jimin Hyung said he got this number from Got7…”

“Oh really… That’s weird… They never mentioned anything like that to me…” Jamie was lost in thought after hearing Jungkook’s words. Her mind went blank and she didn’t how to make sense out of these new informations.

“Well, it doesn’t matter… I’m gonna get a new phone this week so… We can contact each other more often.”

“Oh I see…” Jamie wasn’t sure how she was feeling. She was a bit happy to see him again, but she also wasn’t sure if she actually wanted to keep seeing and contacting him. While Jamie was contemplating her feelings, Jungkook stared at her wrist silently.

“I guess you didn’t like the gift…?” Jungkook asks with disappointment.

“What?”

“The gift… You’re not wearing it…”

“Oh! No!… The bracelet was nice but… umm… I lost it… Sorry…”

“It’s fine, it was pretty cheap anyway… I’ll get you a better one.”

“No, no… It’s fine…” Jamie started to get red for she didn’t know what to do. Jungkook sensed that something was wrong for their conversation was starting to get awkward, but he didn’t want to ask, worried that it will only cause more unnecessary tension.

Jungkook just stood there, observing every part of Jamie’s face as if he was trying to permanently imprint her image in his brain. However, Jamie, feeling Jungkook’s intense stare, couldn’t bring herself to raise her head and look back into his eyes. She wasn’t really sure how she should act to get out this situation, while on the other hand, Jungkook quite enjoyed seeing Jamie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter