Chapter 24

Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

4 days ago…

After Jamie sent him away in a taxi, Jungkook asked the driver to drop him off at a convenience store near his dorm and went in to grab more drinks. It was rare for Jungkook to drink this much for he had significant self-control and never used alcohol as a coping mechanism. However, just for tonight, he wanted to wash away all the sorrows and pains. He gulped down the drinks in a blink of an eye and headed back to his dorm. He swayed from side to side, unable to keep his balance. Luckily, no one recognized him for everyone went around him to avoid any unnecessary trouble.

The usual 10 seconds stairs now took him 15 minutes to climb up for they were also swaying back and forward as if they were a part of a funhouse mirror illusion. Jungkook still managed to topple up the stairs and knock on the door before kneeling down due to a headache. When the door opened, Jungkook has already fallen asleep on the ground.

The next morning…

Jungkook wrapped himself in the duvet, waves of nausea adding to his misery. His phone pinged with message after message. His head felt like as if there were an ax planted in it and now his dehydration was too obvious to ignore. He barely carried himself out of the room by leaning on the walls. The entire apartment was silent with not a single sound resonating. Jungkook stumbled into the kitchen and found a small note on the fridge.

‘Jin hyung made some hangover stew for you so have that for breakfast. - RM’

Jungkook thanked Jin from the bottom of his heart and went straight for the stew to fill his already growling stomach. His head still felt like exploding but at least his stomach was now in peace. After washing the dishes, Jungkook grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and went back to his room. He lied down on the bed once more to relieve the headache and grabbed his phone to check the unread messages.

‘We won’t be back until late at night due to a schedule. We told the manager hyung that you were sick so just rest for today. Don’t think about going out. - RM’

Jungkook knew that the last sentence was a command and that he will have to face the consequences of his actions from yesterday. He checked the other messages and they were all from his 97liner group chat. Usually, reading the chat messages would cheer Jungkook up for they constantly make jokes about each other and argue over the most tedious things. However, he didn’t feel like checking the group chat at all for his mind was too occupied with more important things - Jamie.

He spent the rest of the day taking naps for he felt extremely tired and exhausted. When he woke up again, it was already late into the night. He went out to the living room and found the rest of s eating.

“Oh, Jungkook you’re awake! Come eat!” JHope states as he stands up to push Jungkook to the open seat.

“How are you feeling?” Jimin asked out of concern.

“I’m okay... “ Jungkook replies breathlessly, “how was the schedule?”

“You know… the usual… Fun but tiring…” Hoseok answers as he places the food in Jungkook’s bowl.

“I see…”

The boys remain quiet for the rest of the dinner. Even Hoseok, who tried to liven up the mood in the beginning, gave into the somber mood and ate quietly. Jungkook didn’t mind it too much for it was something he had expected. His hyungs did adore him, but being the closest thing to guardians, they also acted as his parents when it was needed. Namjoon was always a bit strict with Jungkook, probably because Jungkook always admired him and that respect did put pressure on him to look after Jungkook more. Also, this was the first time Jungkook acted so out of the line that it flustered the hyungs.

After dinner, Jungkook volunteered to clean the dishes and went straight back to his room. The maknae’s reclusive behavior confused the others, so they’ve decided to have a quiet meeting to discuss.

“Umm, it is okay to leave him like this?” Taehyung asks quietly.

“That’s all we can do for now… We can’t make him talk…” Namjoon sighs as he stands up and heads to his room.

“Is it really okay?” Taehyung turns his question to the other members for he is still not convinced.

“He’ll be fine… Let’s just give him more time and if this continues, we will talk to him,” Jin reassures Tae, “Namjoon is worried too, but he also wants to give Jungkook some space for him to learn and grow on his own… that’s all…”

“Okay…” Although Jin usually acted immaturely and brought laughter to s, he still knew when to act like the oldest when it was needed.

The rest of the boys hesitantly agreed and their short-lived meeting came to an end. They all pretended as if nothing was happening and tried to liven up the mood the followings days. However, Jungkook remained silent. One day became two and then three. The boys knew that this was a lot more serious than they initially thought.

“Okay, we need to talk to him,” Namjoon declared as he headed to Jungkook’s room, but before he could turn the doorknob, a hand grabbed his wrist to stop him.

“Huynh, let me try talking to him first.” Jimin stood there giving Namjoon a reassuring smile.

“You sure? I think this is a lot worse than what we think… I think we should have a group talk…”

“At least let me try… I think I know the reason he’s acting this way…”

Namjoon wanted to ask him what he knew, but sensing his determination, he let him pass.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Jimin was greeted by the morbid darkness and a suffocating silence. Jungkook was lying on his bed, listening to music with earphones. Jimin quietly turned the lights on, which didn’t seem to bother Jungkook one bit as he continued to stay absolutely stoic. Jimin then moved and sat on his bed, hoping he will get some response.

“Let’s talk…” Jimin whispers for he is too afraid to trigger something and make the situation worse.

Jungkook opens his eyes but does not shift his body and stares at the ceiling instead. Receiving no response, Jimin tries again.

“What are you listening to?”

“Just the usual,” Jungkook finally answers. “Sorry…” he gets up and sits on the side of his bed with his back toward Jimin.

“Why are you apologizing? I should be the one who’s sorry….”

“Just everything… to you and to the other hyungs. You guys must’ve worried a lot.”

“That’s true but we understand…” Jimin gives Jungkook a strong grip on the shoulder, “ so you want to talk about what’s on your mind?”

Jungkook hesitates and the room is once filled with silence again. However, Jimin patiently waits for he feels responsible for this entire situation. What if he didn’t hide Jungkook’s phone? What if he actually contacted Got7 to get Jamie’s phone number? What if he didn’t do all of the things he had done? But they seemed like too big of an “if” now. When he was just lost in his own guilt, Jungkook replied.

“Sorry, but I still don’t want to talk right now… Maybe a few days later… When a decision is made.” Jungkook declares as he lies back down.

“It’s about Jimin, isn’t it?”

“No, it’s not because of you, don’t worry….”

“You know what I’m talking about…Stop trying to avoid it. You like her, but you don’t know if she likes you back….” Jimin states as he observes Jungkook’s expression to confirm his theory, “ or you thought she liked you but you are doubting it due to how she acts recently…”

Jungkook sits back up and looks at Jimin in amazement, “How did you know?”

“Hey, we were all one your age and went throug

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter