Chapter 22

Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It is early in the morning. The sun is barely above the horizon and the street is as dark as some old-school black and white movie. Yet, the world was fully awake for the people flowed like rivers on the streets, never stopping for obstacles but swirling around them.

As usual, Jamie quietly observed the passengers from the second floor of her favorite cafe. However, she was soon bored by the usual sights and moved her attention to the coffee. The smooth, brown milk created a contrast with the mug that lay so gracefully on the table. It was hard to find a cafe like this these days for most coffees now were served in a plastic or paper cup. Of course, Jamie didn’t blame them as Korea is a fast-paced society, and people liked to grab coffee on the go. Nonetheless, it was nice to sit in a old-fashioned cafe that played instrumental music; sipping drinks from a classic, white mug; and just enjoying the warmth of the morning coffee that couldn’t be replaced by anything else.

Jamie wasn’t a big fan of coffee for she prefered sweeter drinks, but she liked to enjoy one once in awhile as the bitterness also had its charms. However, to her disappointment, the coffee was soon gone and she walked slowly to the counter to return the mug. The owner smiled at her as she approached and offered a refill for free, an offer Jamie kindly rejected. She wasn’t the type to stay awake at night due to caffeine, but she does get a bit more hyper, which she did not want for she was already nervous enough for the arrangement today. Also, Jamie did not want to be in debt of the owner for she was already so grateful toward him.

She didn’t know him prior to becoming a regular at this cafe. He was very quiet yet warming as he would always give gentle smiles whenever she walked in. The cafe became quite popular lately and the seats were usually filled. Yet, the owner always reserved the entire second floor for her and her friends without Jamie ever mentioning or requesting, and she was grateful for that. Especially because he never asked for anything in return; he never asked for photos or signs of her or her friends. It was just a respect toward her privacy that Jamie greatly appreciated for even a common manner as such has been lost in today’s society.

Jamie just quietly went upstairs to her usual seat as she began to get anxious. She was temporarily distract by her morning coffee, but the anxiety that haunted her ever since she agreed upon this hangout started to slowly creep upon her again. Just as she was going to stand up to pace around, a voice called upon her name, “Jimin-ah!”

Jamie’s body tensed up at the sound of the voice. She slowly look up to meet the eyes of the figure that approached her. Her heart was pounding so fast that it was like liquid adrenaline being injected right into her bloodstream, yet she didn’t look away to act brave.

“You’re always so early. Why didn’t you buy a drink while waiting?”

“Oh, don’t worry… I did.”

“You did? And you finished? You must have waited for a while then… I’m sorry... you could’ve told me you came earlier… I would’ve left earlier too then…”

“No, it’s fine... I ordered a small drink and I didn’t wait that long…”

“Still… if I had come earlier, I could’ve spent a few more minutes with you.”

Jamie was flustered by his comment and only gave him a smile, not knowing what else to say. She was amazed at his sweet-talking for he seemed to have changed quite a lot.

“Well… Shall we go then?”

“Oh wait… umm...Actually…” Just as Jamie was stuttering, wondering how she should tell him the news, she was interrupted by another voice.

“Hey guys! We’re here!”

Jamie felt more relaxed aftering seeing the interrupters, but she also felt nervous, unsure how the boy in front of her will act.

“Hey, what’s up Jungkook?” BamBam greets the boy as he sits next to Jungkook, “ we need to go bowling again because I’m sure I can beat you this time…”

“Yea of course you can… After all, you lost to him by more 40 points last time…” Yugyeom teases as he sits next to Jamie, “and good morning Jimin.”

“Hey, I told you guys I wasn’t in good condition last time…” BamBam retorts, “ and we should bring Jimin next time too…”

“Why, so you don’t come in last?” Yugyeom continues to teases.

“Hey, I might not be that good but I’m pretty sure I can beat BamBam…” Jamie joins in to team up against BamBam.

“Ha! Yea sure you can… I’ve seen you and Ayeon-Noona play… You guys .”

“Oh just wait until I tell Ayeon-Noona that… She will tear you apart…” Yugyeom states as Yugyeom and BamBam have their usual, pitty argument over literally nothing. While the two boys were having fun, Jamie couldn’t laugh along for she was worried that Jungkook was upset.

Just a few days ago, Jungkook messaged Jamie with his new phone, asking her to hangout when she was free. She hesitated at first, wondering if she should just avoid him, but in the end, they decided to meet up on Thursday. Right after that, Jamie regretted her decision for she didn’t have the courage to meet up with him alone as if nothing happened between them. So, out of worry, she asked her two best friends to hang out together, which she hasn’t told Jungkook until now. She knew what she did was wrong, but deep inside her, she also just wanted to test Jungkook; to see what his true intentions are. Did he just think of her as another friend or as something more, but for now, all she hoped was that he won’t get angry.

And to her surprise, Jungkook looked pretty happy. He was laughing and smiling at the guys and her, which only made her feel more guilty.

“I’m sorry… I was going to tell you…” Jamie whispers to Jungkook, afraid that BamBam and Yugyeom will hear her.

“It’s fine… More the merrier…” Jungkook replies with a smile. However, in reality, he was disappointed and maybe even a bit upset, but he just let it go for hanging out with her was enough; also, perhaps being in a group was safer than being alone with her.

“Wait… So, where are we going?” BamBam turns around to ask Jamie and Jungkook as they head out the cafe.

“Yea… Where are we going…?” Yugyeom also asks as he looks at Jamie for an answer.

“I don’t know…” Jamie then looks at Jungkook for help, but Jungkook only shrugs for what he had planned was only for two people.

“Why don’t we ever plan?” BamBam groans in frustration.

“Because we never go through with our plans!” Jamie snares at BamBam, who couldn’t disagree with her for it was the truth.

“Well… Any ideas?”

“Oh!” Jamie yells in excitement, “how about those Escape the Room Experiences?”

“I’m down… They sound like fun,” Jungkook states.

“Yea and I know a lot of places because I go to these a lot with my friends…” Jamie says with a little pride.

“Wait… then isn’t it unfair to us since you already know the way the escape?” BamBam asks for he is only concerned with winning at this point.

“There are places I haven’t been to yet… Plus, they often change the themes too…”

“Oh, then I’m down too!”

“What about you? Are you okay with it?” Jamie asks Yugyeom, who hasn’t given his opinion on the plan yet.

“Yea of course,” Yugyeom replies with a smile.

“Well then, Let’s go!”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“...Why…” BamBam whines as he glares at Jamie, who wasn’t apologetic at all.

“What do you mean why?”

“Out of all the places, why did you choose the horror themed one!” BamBam complains as everyone in the group knew he gets easily scared by these things.

“Hey, I’m pretty sure every other places are horror themed too,” Jamie shrugs, “it’s summer… You know how they always have the horror specials…”

“Still…”

“Oh come on… Be a man!”

“Fine! Fine… then who’s in who’s team?”

“What? We’re all one team… Haven’t you played this before?”

“Yea but that’s boring…”

“What do you mean boring,” Jamie asks in confusion, “these types of things are all about team work… the more the better…”

“Yea but things are a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter