Chapter 23

Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

“What were you doing to her?!” Yugyeom grabs Jungkook by his collar and pulls him away from Jamie, who is now trying to stop the upcoming disaster.

“Yugyeom, I’m fine! He wasn’t doing anything so put him down!” Jamie pleas, “people might see us!”

Yugyeom stood still, unwilling to let Jungkook go so easily. He glared at Jungkook, demanding an explanation, but Jungkook only stared back at him with the same cold gaze. There was a heavy silence - a calm before the storm, which made Jamie even more anxious as she tried to pull down Yugyeom’s stagnant arm. Her strength was nowhere near his, but in the end, he gave in to her.

Although Yugyeom let go of his hand, he continued to stare at Jungkook for he knew that he couldn’t, well shouldn’t, do anything if he did not want to cause any trouble. Also, in behalf of Jamie, he didn’t want to make things worse between them. Therefore, he tried to fix and mend the situation.

“Sorry, there must have been a misunderstanding, right?” Yugyeom states first as he looks at Jungkook for a reply. However, Jungkook continued to stand still silently, which angered Yugyeom further. But before he can do anything, Jamie answered.

“Yea, there was…” Jamie answers as she drags Yugyeom by his arms, “you should go in and tell the others that we left early…”

“You sure? We can send you home…”

“Yea I’m sure… Jungkook and I just have things to discuss…” Yugyeom wanted to just drag her inside, but he knew that Jamie has made up her mind to resolve this situation so he backed off.

“Okay then… Be safe…”

“I will,” Jamie smile.

“Oh, and thank you,” Jamie quietly whispers to Yugyeom as he steps back into the restaurant.

“No problem.” Yugyeom finally smiles and walks in feeling more relieved after her sincere gratitude.

After Yugyeom left, the tension between them softened as Jamie slowly approached Jungkook. She didn’t know what to say for she was too afraid to look at him; while Jungkook, after regaining some senses, didn’t want to do anything impulsive again to hurt her.

“Are you alright?” Jamie asks quietly.

“Yea…” Jungkook responds.

“Sorry about Yugyeom… He must have misunderstood…”

“Did he?” Jungkook asks as he anxiously waits for her response.

“What?”

“Did he misunderstand? You knew what I was going to do… If Yugyeom didn’t come, would you have stop me?” Jungkook asks bluntly.

Jamie was flustered by the question and didn’t know what to answer.

“I think you’re drunk… You should probably get back to your dorm before your members start calling...”

“I’m not drunk so answer my question…” Jungkook demands softly as he tries to get closer to her. Although Jungkook did drink quite a bit, he wasn’t really drunk due to his high tolerance; however, maybe because of the anxiety and all the strain that built up in his body, Jungkook lost his balance a little as he walked up to her.

“You can’t even walk properly and you’re telling me you’re not drunk?” Jamie sighs as she grabs onto his arms and guides him toward the streets, “I’ll call a taxi for you…”

Jungkook wanted to tell her to stop and that he’s not drunk, but he couldn’t bring him for the warmth of her hands on his arms was so cozy that he didn’t want it to end.

They headed to a rather empty space so no one can recognize them and Jamie reached out her arms to call for a taxi. Jungkook, on the other hand, did not want to leave so he grabs onto her hands to stop her gesture.

“Let’s talk…”

“We will… But when you’re more sober…” Jamie states as she pulls her hands to continue.

“I’m sober… and plus, you will avoid me…” Jungkook grabs onto her arms again for he is not convinced.

“Fine… Let’s set a day now then… When are you free?”  

“Uhh…” Now it was Jungkook who was flustered for he didn’t expect her to come out this strongly, “I’m free next Saturday…”

“Okay then, let’s meet then at the usual coffee shop. Is that okay with you?”

“Yea…” As soon as Jungkook answered, a taxi stopped before them and Jamie gently helped Jungkook get into the backseat.

“Ahjussi, please drop him off right in front of his apartment, thank you!” Jamie asks politely to the driver and gives one last look at Jungkook before the taxi drives off.

Jamie’s eyes followed the taxi and lingered at the corner which the it disappeared. There were so many things in her head that they seemed to somehow canceled out each other as she stood there, without any thought. When she finally snapped out of it, she also called for a taxi and went back to her dorm.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 days later…

The weather was moving on toward high summer, face sweating, flies buzz around, shirt-less, sweltering heat. The cracks of the earth were like the wrinkles on a wizened old face for the earth was baked as hard as concrete.

In a day like this, even Jamie wanted to stay home and enjoy the pleasure of an air-conditioned apartment, especially because she felt like she was getting a cold. It wasn’t anything too bad for it was just a tiny itch in but she didn’t want it to get worse. She spent all morning in her bed, scrolling through her phone and watching videos. She didn’t even bother to get up to eat for she felt too lazy. As she was playing with her phone, a message popped up and covered the drama that she was watching.

“Aish…” Jamie cursed quietly a she opened up the message to see the content.

‘Hey Jamie, don’t forget the pool party tonight. - Double B’

“Ugh… Curse you, BamBam…” Jamie grunted. She placed her phone under the pillow and hid under the blanket to try to avoid the promise she made with Got7. Just then, another ring from her phone.

‘Hey, don’t tell me you forgot... We reserved the pool at night because of you! You better come!’

“Trying to guilt-trip me! Not gonna work!” Jamie declares as she threw her phone onto the desk and covered her entire body with sheets and pillow.

‘Why no response?’

‘Are you there?’

‘I know you’re there!’

‘Hello?’

‘HEEELLLLOOOOOOO??????’

‘Hey!!! JAAAMMMIIIEEE!!’

‘FINE! FINE! I’m going… Now would you stop texting me?!’ Jamie replies after being annoyed by the never-ending texts from BamBam.

‘Great! See you later then!’

“I hate you all!” Jamie yells and falls back into her bed. She began to regret her life choices, but in the end couldn’t help but feel guilty. She knew that she can get away with it if she just told them she was sick, but she also knew that Got7 purposely reserve a pool at night so they won’t be recognized. Of course Got7 can and do enjoy going to the beach in broad daylight  but since she will be there, they probably wanted to make sure there’s no unnecessary scandals and bring harm to her.

Although Bambam described it as a pool party, it is just a small celebration of Mark’s birthday among only the Got7 members and Jamie at a hotel near the beach. It wasn’t anything grand for they were just gonna eat and swim in the hotel pool. She doesn’t even know how she agreed to this in the first place for she usually avoids public gathering with Got7, especially such risky ones. But a promise is a promise and she doesn’t have anything else to do so she just grabbed her bag and headed toward the hotel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After arriving a bit late, Jamie headed out toward the pool

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter