CHAPTER 9

A dorky Heart

“are you sure these are the only ones you want to eat?”

Leeteuk and taeyeon decided to stop by in a coffee shop located in a nearby place in Seoul to lighten things up after the situation. Taeyeon, who was bug eyed from crying, kept her face down all the time to prevent leeteuk from looking at her. the suju leader was of course, in sympathy, and tried to loosen her up by suggesting a good starter meal to eat.

“i’ll order, just wait here.” Leeteuk said, as he stood to get another menu for himself.

Taeyeon nodded and sighed. She was still feeling bad for what she had done. If only she knew what to do that time then she wouldn’t have caused any trouble to his sunbae. Yuri was right, he understands, but the people around him wouldn’t take sorry as a good excuse. A punishment would likely to be a suitable consequence. She placed her hands on her thighs, looking at the floral patterns of her dress. Nice blue floral patterns, she thought. Good thing Seohyun bought it for her birthday.

“here you go, caramel frappe and grilled cheese sandwich.” Leeteuk returned after placing his order and paying for their meal. Taeyeon tilted her head slightly and accepted the cold coffee he handed with her bare hands.

kamsamnida.” She bowed, putting tissue around her frappe.

“are you okay, taeng?” leeteuk asked her, worried. Taeyeon only nodded.

“would you like to order more?” he asked, softly. She shook her head.

“the sandwich looks big.” Was the only words taeyeon could say.

Leeteuk beamed. “its enough then.” He said as he wiped a straw clean to place on her drink.

Taeyeon sipped her cold coffee, darting her eyes around the place. Brown vintage wallpapers in coffee shops are the best.  She didn’t know that such a nice place existed, soft couches substitute for wooden chairs, and piles of magazines were situated near the cashier. Different types of cakes were displayed, much to her dismay that she doesn’t have enough appetite to try them all.

She didn’t realize that leeteuk was staring at her, with his right hand cupping his chin. His piercing eyes gleamed in the rays of the sun, accentuating his white skin, glowing in accordance to the light penetrating it. He looked like a marble statue of a fine man, except that a statue wasn’t wearing a pink v-neck shirt.

Taeyeon inclined her head on the side, wondering.

oppa?” she asked, puzzled.

Leeteuk broke his gaze. “huh-- why?”

“you’re not touching your food, oppa.”

Leeteuk laughed. “oh, sorry. I guess I’m so busy wondering what you’re thinking.”

Then he quickly held a knife to slice his croissant.

“I like this place.” Taeyeon said somewhat sheepishly. She was so embarrassed at her sunbae after handing out a wrong medicine that she couldn’t look at him like she used to.

Leeteuk did realize that but he pretended he didn’t mind.

“I like this place too, its cozy.” He commented.

Taeyeon darted her eyes again, this time, at the row of stuffed animals next to the cashier.

“do you know what part of Kim Taeyeon I don’t like seeing?” leeteuk suddenly asked, breaking her attention.

The snsd leader who was taken aback by such a question,  shook her head again.

Leeteuk smiled.

“It’s the one when she cries.” He confessed, looking at her.

Taeyeon stared at him, questioningly.

Leeteuk took a quick breath and pointed to his left chest, emphasizing his heart. “cos it really kills me here.” He replied. “as if it can stop beating and die.”

“but I think because it’s too scarred that it can hold on.” He added, chuckling.

Taeyeon didn’t know whether she should reply or not. She wanted to slap herself  for giving him too much heartache. Leeteuk bit his lip.

“you don’t have to answer me back, Taeng.” he said gently, reading her thoughts.

mianhe oppa.” Taeyeon whispered.

She  lowered her head, and stared at her sandwich.

The next few moments they were silent, saved only by the clicking of taeyeon’s knife trying to slice the sandwich.

Leeteuk silently sighed. He knew exactly the situation he was in and the only thing he could do to make her fine was to smile.

“do you want me to slice that for you?” he asked suddenly changing the subject.

Taeyeon smiled after seeing him do the same and nodded. “yes please.”

“hand me your knife.”

 

Taeyeon’s POV

Oppa made sure that I ate all the parts of the sandwiches he prepared for me. Since I don’t have much of an appetite, I was very hesitant.  but since I had eaten a little before I got out of the dorm, I ate them all. As usual, he was picky with his food, and poked them all with a fork before eating. I was supposed to scold him but since he ate them all, I didn’t mind afterwards.

 

We got out of the shop after he was busy chatting away with a male cashier. Acquaintance I guess? Both were smiling and leeteuk looked like he was in a business with him or something, as if telling the cashier what to do. Then oppa spotted that I was looking at him so he just smiled, bowed to his friend and got out with me.

 

We were silent again inside the car. I can’t help it if I can’t produce a single conversation. I was really embarrassed of what I did, and he was so understanding that it embarrassed me more. I should be thankful for that though, but the people around him really get to my nerves.

“what are you thinking?” he suddenly asked as he turned the car around the corner. Ten minutes before reaching my dorm.

“nothing.” I replied, looking outside.

Leeteuk nodded and smiled.

“um, I---- I forgot to return your jacket.” I said, trying to start a polite conversation. “I left it at the dorm. I--- I’ll just get it when we reach there.”

“its okay.” Leeteuk said. “you can have it.”

“um, I got a lot of jackets anyway.” I mumbled.

Leeteuk laughed. “but you’re always forgetting to bring one.” He assured me. “it’ll be a nice addition to your jackets. It’s a female size anyway so it wouldn’t be a problem right?”

I wanted to roll my eyes. I was jealous of him because he can fit into ladies jackets with his very firm but small torso.

“how are the girls?” he asked, referring to my snsd members.

“oh, they’re fine, I guess.” I replied, as I looked at him drive. “they’re busy with their own activities. I didn’t have any activity yet so I’m pretty much lazing around.”

“wookie told me on the phone last week that soo young kept bugging him to cook?” asked leeteuk.

“ah, ne.” I smiled, bowing down my head. “soo young likes eating so she pretty much goes to your dorm to ask ryeowook oppa to cook for her.”

“and since soo young goes there, all the others accompany her too?” he asked.

I bit my lip, more troubles, oh no. “I’m sorry about that. They like hanging out there because your dorm can accompany a lot of people.” oh my. He looked scary when he’s expressionless.

“its okay.” Leeteuk winked. “they can go there all the time.”

I sighed, big relief. I thought he would scold me for bringing girls into an all boys dorm. Turns out that he didn’t really mind.

“you can go there too.” He told me.

“you have a nice dorm.” I commented.

Leeteuk looked at me and smiled. “because wookie likes to clean. I’m pretty thankful that we have him.”

“you--- you should clean too.” I said. I quickly clasped my mouth. I’m really becoming more sarcastic. But he kept on smiling as he drive.

ne, I’ll do that when I return.” He replied as we reached in front of the dormitory.

I didn’t notice that talking with him would make ten minutes a lot shorter.

“home sweet home.” Leeteuk beamed, looking at the off-white building situated at the left side of the car.

I checked for my stuff before leaving any thing and turned to him.

“thanks for dropping me by.” I whispered, lowering down my head. Aish.

I really can’t stare at him for doing something embarrassing.

He held my chin with his bare hand and pierced me with a look straight in the eyes.

“don’t be embarrassed, okay?” he smiled. “I understand.”

“I’m really sorry.” I mumbled, after he broke off his touch. “don’t worry, I’ll make it up on you.”

“I’ll be waiting for that.” He said, as I got out of the car.

--------------------------------

“yah, unni!” hyoyeon called to me as she stood outside our dorm, as if waiting. It was weird that she knew I will be home soon.

“how was it?” she asked me.

“he’s fine with it.” I replied, after I told him how sorry I was. Leeteuk definitely understood me.

Hyoyeon sighed. “well its good then.” She said, leading me inside. “we’re all worried. It really is your fault you know.”

I rolled my eyes. “yah, do you have to emphasize that all the time?” I grumbled as I took off my shoes.

I found Seohyun sitting in the living room, playing with her green stuffed frog, Keroro and surprisingly, an 8 inched white bear.

“nice bear, Seororo.” I commented, calling her by her fondness of green cartoon frogs. I took a seat beside her.

unni, its yours.” She told me, handing the bear.

“mine?” I asked. “I don’t have any white bear here that I can remember.”

The stuffed animal was looking at me. It was so cute, embellished by 3 buttons on its tummy, a scarf on its neck and wearing a nice smile.

Seohyun pointed me the tag.

It read: to bug eyed taengoo, please take care of Pupu the bear for me. he will make you smile. From your oppa, Eeteuk.

I didn’t realize that it was the stuffed animal in the coffee shop that I was looking at before oppa broke my gaze. It looked like he was paying attention to me all the time.

“wow.” I whispered, twirling Pupu in the air.

Seohyun stole the stuffed animal from me. “oppa’s really nice.” she commented.

“yeah, I know.” I remarked, patting the bear as if it was a good pet.

 

We Got Married House 5:10 pm

“ah, you’re early.” Kahi noticed leeteuk entering the house with a smile engraved upon his face.

“you have no appointments for today?” he asked, as he took a seat to watch the after school leader washing dishes. She ate her lunch late.

ne.” kahi replied, without looking at him. “I’m pretty jobless today. Lucky you have your own activities.”

Leeteuk stood up.

“at least you get plenty of hours sleep.” He told her, stealing away Kahi’s plate. “take a sit, I’ll do the dishes.”

Kahi was hesitant but eventually agreed. She then took a seat near the sink.

“you look very happy today.” She commented, looking at leeteuk. “I’m guessing something turned quite well?”

“hmm.. I think so.” Leeteuk replied as he scrubbed the cooking utensils she used earlier.

“was it fun?” she asked, looking down.

Leeteuk thought for a minute. “she was crying all the time. But she was okay after that.”

“she hasn’t got over me scolding her, huh?” kahi said.

“you bet.” Leeteuk nodded.

“I guess she wouldn’t understand age difference.” Kahi replied, playing with bubbles, scattered on the sink.

“do you like her?” she suddenly asked.

Leeteuk stopped scrubbing and looked at her. “what do you think?” he asked.

“I think yes.” Kahi mumbled. It was obvious, she thought.

“then you have my answer.” Leeteuk said.

Kahi heaved out a deep sigh.

“what’s the matter?” leeteuk asked.

“you’re old, you don’t look good together.” She remarked.

Leeteuk laughed. “what?”

“you fit with someone near your age.” Kahi commented, washing her hands simultaneous with him washing plates.

“like who?” leeteuk asked.

like me.” Kahi replied without thinking twice.

Leeteuk nearly dropped the plates he was washing.

He stared at her, astounded.

“are you drunk?”

“just one glass.” She said. “but I’m still on my senses.”

Leeteuk began searching for a bottle, luckily he found only one.

“I guess you’re right.” He said, referring to the used wine glass. “hey never drink another shot again, araso?”

Kahi turned serious. “jungsoo ah.”

“hmm?”

Leeteuk looked at her. she began placing her hand on his cheek.

“there can only be one girl.” Kahi whispered, leaning on his face.

she inched closer, making leeteuk froze. He can see her dark brown eyes in proximity.

“am I disturbing here?”

Kahi and leeteuk both turned to a woman in the door step, dressed in a national costume. She was holding a bag of groceries on the left hand and her funny bag at the other. Kahi moved away from leeteuk, embarrassed. The woman in her thirties looked like she was shocked.

But Leeteuk was more surprised.

“is that you noona?”