CHAPTER 26

A dorky Heart

“taeng…”

“I can’t believe this is happening… oh my god, proper breathing, deep breaths…”

“taeng.”

“mwo? Aish… just to think of that scene kind of really creeps me out.”

“taeng?”

aish… aish… deep breathing, deep breathing, deep breathing…”

“hon!”

Kim taeyeon’s mind suddenly shifted back to reality.

“oops… sorry.”

She realized that leeteuk was calling out her attention quite a few times already.  She was seated with him at the far right end of the bus, waiting for a few minutes before they reach the stop station to her province. Leeteuk, who was busy listening to his ipod cannot help but to notice his girlfriend’s sudden self-talk.

“are you okay? You’ve been nervous for about three hours.” Leeteuk said, brushing her bangs out her eyes.

Taeyeon inhaled another set of few deep breaths.

“sorry.” She said, fanning herself. “I’m just nervous about meeting my family again.”

She hasn’t seen her parents and her brother for a long time due to her commitments with snsd. And there she was right now, just a few stops away from meeting them. It was her mother’s birthday. Since she was in a temporary break from her activities, she decided to go in a vacation.

With leeteuk. Kim taeyeon bit her lip. It would be the first time that leeteuk is going to meet her family as her boyfriend. This thought had aggravated her mind already in a series of imaginations on how it would turn out if her family comes in contact with him. Would they be surprise? Will they accept him?

Leeteuk removed his earphones and started placing his ipod on his pocket.

“is your dad going to fetch us from the bus stop?” he asked, playing with the wires.

“ne.” taeyeon replied. Oh no, how would appa react if he sees leeteuk? Taeyeon shook her head to erase the thoughts. He might be really surprised to see him with her even if he knew that she is close friends with leeteuk eversince.

“relax, hon.” Leeteuk laughed as he gently pat the back of taeyeon’s head. “I’m not going to mess up, I promise.”

“its not that.” taeyeon said patiently. “its just, I haven’t met them for the longest time. And now they’ll see me again. with a guy.”

“with a guy.” Leeteuk repeated. He cannot help but to smile at the thought.  It seemed to him that taeyeon gave a huge deal out of coming to visit with a boyfriend.

“taeng, relax, I’ll introduce myself properly.” He assured her.

“what if they don’t approve of you?” she pouted.

Leeteuk laughed at her sudden reaction.

“if they don’t like me then I’ll make them like me.” He said. “right?”

aish, sorry, I just can’t control myself from imagining too many things.” Taeyeon kept poking her head with her fist.

Leeteuk caught her hand.

yah, stop that. You’ll hurt yourself. everything’s going to be fine.” He said gently. “I promise.”

“last stop!”

Taeyeon looked at leeteuk then to the bus driver peeking at the mirror.

“were here.” She gasped.

Leeteuk nodded and stood up. The suju leader reached for their bags situated at the top deck of the bus.

“go ahead, I’ll follow.” He ushered taeyeon.

Leeteuk watched as taeyeon made her way to the door. He smiled. Even from behind, he can still see how taeyeon unconsciously keep on biting her finger nails in nervousness. He didn’t know that taeyeon can be this so nervous when it comes to family matters. It was her first time anyway to have a boyfriend. It must have been really stressful to her.

“watch your step.” He told taeyeon.

“nice.” Leeteuk commented as they set foot to their surroundings. The area was almost green due to the vast lands of rice fields, little mountains and sun flowers.

The bus ran off, leaving away a huge trail of dust to inhale. Leeteuk covered taeyeon’s nose with his handkerchief.

Taeyeon kept looking around.

“he must be here somewhere.” She said, pacing a few steps away from leeteuk.

Taeyeon motioned around until she saw a familiar looking old man wearing a baseball cap.

“oh there he is.” She said. “appa! Appa!”

Taeyeon kept waving her hand.

appa!”

The old man squinted and noticed that the girl waving infront of him was his daughter.

“taengoo!” he called out.

Taeyeon rushed to meet her father.

appa!” she said, embracing him.

She really missed the scent of his father which reminded her of the scent of the optical shop her family owns.

“oh my you’ve grown  a little.” Mr. kim mused as he let go of her hug. He looked at taeyeon in such awe. The brightest star in showbusiness is her daughter.

“you mean I’ve grown in weight.” Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

“it fits you still.” Mr. kim laughed. “your mother and brother will be glad once they see you. We got some relatives too who will be joining the celebration.”

Taeyeon’s smile faltered.

“relatives? I thought it will only be us?” taeyeon scratched her head.

Mr. kim rubbed his nose.

“I forgot to tell you that.”

“gosh.” Taeyeon didn’t know how to react.

“what’s the problem?” mr. kim asked.

“nothing.” Taeyeon said. she turned around and noticed that leeteuk was just behind her.

“hey.” Leeteuk winked.

“excuse me, do you know my daughter?” mr. kim asked the towering leader.

Leeteuk smiled and reached out for his hand.

“sir, you forgot me already? I’m jungsu. From sm entertainment.”

“oh, jungsu!” mr. kim took his hand approvingly. “ne, ne. the super junior leader. you came with my daughter? That’s a long drive from here. Thank you for accompanying her.”

leeteuk and taeyeon looked at each other.

“actually I have more reason than that, sir.” Leeteuk said.

appa.” Taeyeon held her father’s hand. “we have something to tell you.”

---------------------------------

“since when?”
“after the snsd concert in seoul.”

“does the management know?”

“yeah.”

“what do we do?”

“I don’t know.”

Mr. and mrs. Kim looked at taeyeon and leeteuk. The news of the two in a relationship really turned out as a huge surprise. Quite a really huge surprise for they weren’t expecting it. When taeyeon mentioned about her current relationship to mr. kim during the drive, her father was speechless all through out. He must have forgotten how her daughter grew up so fast.

“um, happy birthday?” was all taeyeon could say. She and leeteuk were seated infront of the dining table, looking as nervous as ever.

“taengoo.” Mrs. Kim approached taeyeon.

eomma, if you’re going to scold me because of my impulsive behavior, I can defend myself.”

“what are you talking about?” mrs. Kim smiled. She sat opposite the two and started slicing the remaining carrots. “you’re old enough to do decisions for yourself. I’m just surprised that you chose someone from the same agency.”

“I’m kind of surprised too.” Leeteuk butted in.

eomma.” Taeyeon rested her hand on her thighs. “tell me all about your thoughts.”

“well.” Mrs. Kim stared at the ceiling to contemplate. “I am really surprised that you came here with a guy, first and foremost. I wasn’t really expecting that you’ll bring one because we all know how choosy you are. And next, I was shocked because he was someone from sm entertainment, and someone I really know because you two were really close.”

“kind of really shocking right?” taeyeon bit her lip. Leeteuk patted her hand in sympathy.

“how old are you again?” mr. kim interrupted leeteuk.

“I’m turning 29 this year.” The suju leader replied.

“29?”

ne.” leeteuk said, embarrassed.

“that’s like six years.” Mrs. Kim looked at her husband.

“well he doesn’t look like a 29 right?” taeyeon lighted up the situation. “were more like the same age.”

“taengoo, you’re turning 23.” mrs. Kim said.

aish, eomma, six years gap is nothing.” Taeyeon assured her mother’s thoughts. “you know that I’m a very mature person, I can handle these kind of things.”

Leeteuk patted her hand again.

“its okay taeng.” He smiled.

The scene was interrupted with taeyeon’s brother peeking from the door.

annyeong.” He said. leeteuk noticed that taeyeon’s brother resembled her girlfriend a lot. He was holding a box on his right hand and a plastic with sojus on the other.

“taengoo?” he was shocked to see taeyeon sitting at the dining table with her parents.

“ji oong oppa!” taeyeon smiled, waving her hand.

“since when?” ji oong smiled too.

Then he saw leeteuk. His eyes popped in an instant.

“super junior leader!” he exclaimed.

annyeong.” Leeteuk bowed.

Ji oong scratched his head and took a seat.

He looked again at leeteuk.

“woah.” He said, staring at him.

“you look like you’re shocked.” Mr. kim noticed.

Ji oong nodded and extended his hand towards leeteuk.

“I’ve always been a fan of yours.” He said sheepishly. “I really love super junior antics.”

“thank you.” Leeteuk said.

“super junior is really the best.” Ji oong emphasized. “I’m not dreaming am i? wait, what are you doing here anyway?”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes. A lot of more explanation to go.

“I’m your sister’s boyfriend.” Leeteuk explained.

wae?are you kidding me?”

“does he look like he’s kidding?” taeyeon gritted her teeth.

Ji oong fanned himself.

“woah.” He said. “super junior leader is my sister’s boyfriend.”

“super junior leader is my sister’s boyfriend!” he said again, making leeteuk unveil his high pitched laugh.

“you look like you were really surprised.” Taeyeon said sarcastically.

Ji oong made five bows before extending again his hand towards leeteuk.

“I’m really surprised, its like a dream.” He said. “I’m really honored. just call me your little brother.”

It was taeyeon’s turn to be surprised.

“little brother then.” Leeteuk smiled, shaking his hand. Taeyeon nudged him in the ribs.

“were going to be really close.” Ji oong said excitedly. “you sleep in my room, ne hyung? Appa, eomma, super junior leader will sleep in my room.”

“if you say so.” Mrs. Kim said.

“hey.” Taeyeon butted in. “he’ll sleep in the guest room.”

“no way, you’re going to be lonely there.” Ji oong told leeteuk. “ne hyung? You’re used to sleeping with a lot of guys right?”

“actually, yeah.” Leeteuk confessed.

He looked at taeyeon and made a gesture that everything is going to be just fine.

“I really like your outfit, what’s the brand?” ji oong changed the topic.

Leeteuk and taeyeon exchanged surprised looks.

dolce and gobbana.” Leeteuk said.

“no way.” Ji oong was shocked.

“it really is.”

“you must have a lot of that stocks!”

“its from the sponsors.” Leeteuk said. “some are fan gifts, then when I have the chance to buy, I buy clothes.”

“wow.” Ji oong scratched his head again. “it must be really nice to be an idol.”

“I like your brother.” Leeteuk whispered to taeyeon.

aish, can you believe it? another dongsaeng in love with you.” Taeyeon shook her head.

-------------------------------

Leeteuk sat at the foot of  ji oong’s bed. His eyes wandered around the room for a minute. Ji oong’s room resembled a typical 24 year old’s room. Everything was organized, all the posters of his favorite kpop groups were hung. He had a massive collection of robots and other toy figurines. The room was decorated in light blue and a huge plasma tv was situated at the corner with a play station on the floor. Leeteuk suddenly had the urge to miss his own room. He hasn’t seen his room in years and he wondered if the room was still decorated in all white.

 

Leeteuk placed his bag near ji oong’s wardrobe and went to fix his hair on the full length mirror. “oi, are you finished? my cousins want to see you.”

Leeteuk saw taeyeon’s reflection on the mirror. He noticed that she has changed her clothes in a more casual tone.

“cousins? How many cousins do you have?”

“I got four families out there, so its more than the number of your fingers.” Taeyeon laughed as she pulled leeteuk out of the room.

“wow, your family and now your cousins.” he smiled as they walk to the corridor. “I would be seeing tons of taeyeon look alikes out there.”

Imagining a lot of taeyeons seem to entertain him.

“kind of gets to your nerves for a while huh?” taeyeon mused.

“I like it.” leeteuk winked. “its like living in your world.”

“well you are really living in my world.” Taeyeon put her arm around his.

“will they like me?” leeteuk asked as he and taeyeon walked down the mini stairs.

Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

“did you see how my brother looks up to you?” she said.

“because he likes super junior.”

“and what more if my girl cousins see you, eh?” taeyeon said, pointing outside.

Leeteuk followed her gaze and saw five screaming girls pounding their fists to the glass door.

“leeteuk oppa!”

yah, don’t break our door!” taeyeon shouted. She and leeteuk neared the area to join the other members of the Kim family.

“this is what I don’t like.” Taeyeon covered her ears to the screams that got louder when she and leeteuk approached the cousins.

“oh my god, its oppa!” taeyeon’s cousin screamed.

Leeteuk bowed.

annyeong.” He smiled.

“aahhhhhhhh!!!!!”

“did I do anything?” leeteuk asked, startled.

yah, you don’t want us to get deaf right?” taeyeon told her cousins.

unni, why didn’t you tell us that you brought a super junior member?” another taeyeon’s cousin said. leeteuk looked at her and smiled at her striking resemblance with his girl friend.

“that’s Hany by the way, she’s also into entertainment.” Taeyeon said.

“two taeyeons in entertainment business? how many more taeyeons will I meet?” leeteuk asked enthusiastically.

“aww, you just don’t get tired of me do you?” taeyeon rubbed his arm.

Leeteuk got introduced to more screaming cousins, some who are very keen to meet an idol leader. He didn’t know that super junior can be so huge in the province. The last time they promoted was due to super junior trot, primarily to attract older audiences.

“I didn’t know that I am recognized here.” He told taeyeon upon sitting at the far end of the table.

“duh.” Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

unni!”

“yes?” taeyeon faced another girl cousin.

“is it true?”

“true what?”

“leeteuk oppa is your boyfriend?”

Taeyeon nodded.

“really?”

aish, why do these guys don’t believe me?” taeyeon shook her head in disbelief.

Leeteuk held taeyeon’s hand.

“we’re in a relationship.” He made a second notion.

“oh my god, oh my god!”

Taeyeon’s cousin ran towards the other cousins. They started screaming again.

“oi, don’t tell others okay?” taeyeon called out.

ne!!”

“what now?” taeyeon turned to leeteuk. “I guess you’re properly introduced to my family.”

“I’m overwhelmed.” Leeteuk smiled.

Taeyeon reached out for a couple of orange drinks.

“let me get out the ice for you.” Leeteuk offered. He knew how taeyeon cared so much for her voice.

Leeteuk gently took out the ice with a fork when ji oong joined the table.

hyung.” He told leeteuk. “I’m inviting my friends over, I’ll introduce them to you, ne?”

yah, what do you think of him, display??” taeyeon asked, bewildered.

“I think they’ll want to see taeyeon more than me.” Leeteuk looked at taeyeon.

“they want to know your style.” Ji oong said. “I told them you’re wearing branded clothes.”

mwo, who are you to tell them that?” taeyeon poked his brother’s head.

“its okay taeng.” Leeteuk smiled. “I guess I’ll meet them later?”

ne.” ji oong said. “I’ll get you food, please wait.”

Leeteuk watched as ji oong disappeared and blended with taeyeon’s relatives.

“how many more taeyeons will I meet?” he asked again.

----------------------------------

“and this is me when I was in kindergarten.” Taeyeon pointed.

She and leeteuk were inside the family entertainment room. Leeteuk got toured around the house when the party was over. He found out how taeyeon was fond of playing with leaves outside the lawn every autumn, how taeyeon would spend time at the front porch singing at the swing beside the door, how taeyeon would commute from the province to sm entertainment to train because she thinks its lonely to spend time in the dorm. He was so glad to know almost everything about taeyeon’s childhood.

“you really didn’t change that much.” He noticed upon seeing the pictures. Taeyeon remained the round faced girl with really cute eyes and button nose.

ne, I’m  still cute.” Taeyeon sniggered.

Leeteuk looked for more pictures.

“this was in highschool?” he asked, pointing to taeyeon and ji oong’s picture.

“yeah, I already debuted that time.” Taeyeon said. she too stared at the picture.

“you really are a grown woman.” Leeteuk looked at her face. “I’m so proud of you.”

“blame puberty.” Taeyeon smiled.

Leeteuk closed the photo book.

“you want to play the piano?” taeyeon offered.

She pointed to the little black grand piano beside the rack of taeyeon’s trophies.

“who plays the piano?”

“my appa does.” Taeyeon said. “he’s a bit of a musician.”

She tugged leeteuk towards the area.

“what do you want me to play?” he asked when they sat down.

“play anything you know.”

“I composed a song once.” Leeteuk said, placing his fingers to the keys of the piano.

“that’s a nice melody.” Taeyeon noticed when leeteuk was playing the intro.

Leeteuk smiled and went to sang some parts of his song. Taeyeon thought that the melody was a little bit lonely but leeteuk’s voice kind of complimented it.

Taeyeon clapped after the ending.

“wow. Its really great.” She said.

“thank you.”

“I guess I didn’t notice how talented you are from the start.” She gushed.

“do I deserve a reward?” leeteuk smiled.

Taeyeon playfully thought aloud.

“super kiss!” she whispered.

Taeyeon placed an arm around leeteuk’s upper back and started pecking the suju leader five times.

hana… deul… set…”

Leeteuk laughed and inched himself away from her.

“I taste strawberry, new lip balm?” he asked.

Taeyeon took out the product from her pocket.

ne, new sponsor.” She said.

“let me try that.” Leeteuk applied on two streaks of balm to his lips. “hmmm.. really tastes like strawberry.”

He looked at taeyeon and smiled.

“try me?” He laughed.

Taeyeon smiled too, inched her face closer to his and started kissing him slow. Leeteuk removed his hand from the piano, placing it to the back of her hair. Taeyeon couldn’t help but to submerge herself in the fit of giggles in between but leeteuk’s kiss seem to shush her up all of a sudden. She placed her hand on his waist, making a tight grip on his polo every time she would shove her lips on his.

“um, hello?”

Leeteuk and taeyeon almost jumped when mrs. Kim emerged from the room with a tray of snacks.

eomma.” Taeyeon tried to contain herself in inhaling few deep breaths.

“I need to talk to jungsu for awhile, if its okay?” mrs. Kim asked.

Leeteuk nodded.

“I’ll be back.” He told taeyeon.

-------------------------------

“hot cocoa?” mrs. Kim placed a large sized cup on leeteuk’s bare hands as the two sat on the front porch.

kamsamnida.”

He watched as mrs. Kim took a sip.

“don’t worry, I just saw little.” Mrs. Kim said upon leeteuk’s stare of wonder.

Leeteuk nodded and smiled.

“there must be something that you want to talk to me?” he asked politely.

“about that.” she said, putting down her cup. “I want to know how much do you know about my daughter.”

“I’ve known her since she was a trainee.” Leeteuk confessed as he warmed his hands around his drink. “I’ve almost debuted back then. I was ahead of her in two years. I really didn’t get to interact with her that time because of our schedules but we did talk everytime there are leader assignments.”

Leeteuk thought about how he would treat taeyeon as a little sister because of the . Taeyeon was so young back then.

“so you know how taengoo cares so much for her career?” mrs. Kim asked.

“yes.” Leeteuk replied. He had dealt so many issues with taeyeon because of her career.

“I’m not really against your relationship.” Said mrs. Kim. “but I’m just a bit troubled of the time and the engagements of the entertainment industry regarding the two of you.”

“I’m wondering too if the media finds out that the two of you were dating.” She continued.

Leeteuk bit his lip.

“by all means we have to deny it.” he said gently. “it’s for the management and for the commitments to our groups.”

“ I see.” Mrs. Kim took another sip. “so the both of you are okay with it?”

“yes, we’ve maturely handled the situation.”

Mrs. Kim nodded.

“I heard that you’re going to the army?”

Leeteuk froze. Taeyeon must have shared a little information about him and his schedules.

“in a year, yes.” He said.

“it must have been troubling?”

“it really is.” Leeteuk agreed. “I wasn’t really expecting to have a relationship when I signed up for the enlistment. And now that I have a girlfriend, it really worries me how taeyeon would handle the stress.”

It really produce a great pang to his heart, knowing that he will be away from taeyeon in a matter of months.

“taeyeon is mature, she will deal with those issues easily.” Mrs. Kim smiled. She was surprised how leeteuk took the situation as a big deal but it really warms her knowing that he cared so much for her.

“I really hope that she waits for me.” Leeteuk said flatly. “but whatever decision she has in two years, I’d accept.”

“what did she tell you then?”

“she told me she will wait.”

“wow.” Mrs. Kim chuckled. “then take that as a word. Taeyeon is loyal to her promise.”

“I guess I’ll be less worried then.” Leeteuk said, heaving out a relief.

“your is really interesting.” Mrs. Kim said as leeteuk drank his hot cocoa.

“does it bother you?” leeteuk asked.

“taeyeon is really an old thinker  for her age, even her big brother thinks of it that way.” Mrs. Kim laughed. “ so it isn’t a big problem.”

She looked at leeteuk and smiled. Leeteuk in turn couldn’t help but to smile too because he kept on imagining how taeyeon would look like when she age.

“I’m approving of your relationship.” She said. “I’ll be more than willing enough to welcome you in the family in the future.”

“mrs. Kim…”

“yes?”

“I’d like to ask something about, if you will let me…”

-------------------------------

“I’m gonna miss you again!” taeyeon hugged each her parents and her brother goodbye. It brought tears to her eyes knowing that she won’t be able to see them again in a few months time.

“you won’t miss us, someone will take care of you.” Ji oong said, referring to leeteuk.

The suju leader laughed.

“she will keep on bugging me to visit you then.” He said.

The bus going to seoul stopped right infront.

“I guess you will be going.” Mr. kim said. He and leeteuk shook hands.

“I’ll be seeing you again.” said leeteuk.

“eomma, make sure you and appa take your vitamins regularly.” Taeyeon reminded her parents.

“it’ll be better if you take care of yourself first.” Ji oong said.

“ne, I guess we will be going.” Taeyeon tugged leeteuk with her aboard the bus.

Mrs. Kim followed.

“jungsu, please take care of this.” She said, slipping in something at his vest pocket. leeteuk already knew what she gave in and he bowed with so much gratitude.

kamsamnida, eomma.” He whispered.

ne, take care, both of you.” Mrs. Kim waved.

Leeteuk helped taeyeon aboard.

“did I hear that correctly? You call my mother something?” taeyeon raised her eyebrows.

“really? Did I say anything?” leeteuk smiled. “you’re thinking weird again, kim taeyeon.”