CHAPTER 14

A dorky Heart

Five… four… three… two… one…

Bingo! Now she’s late for a total of one hour and thirty five minutes. Kim taeyeon shook her head in disbelief as she near approach the shiny white car parked infront of their dormitory building. The white car was unfortunately waiting for more than one hour, especially with the passenger inside, who was patiently sitting in the driver seat, looking at his watch. Taeyeon cannot fit into words the proper apology she wanted to mean, for she promised to get ready in just an hour.  The hour itself was like a shattered promise, It seemed as if choosing one out of the ten clothes she picked isn’t good enough for the day. She literally downsized the clothes to a white ruffled sleeveless shirt and black shorts.that is Leeteuk’s favorite choice color of clothes, she hopes that she makes it up on him at least on the fashion side.

Kim taeyeon made a quick run before opening the car door.

“Im so sorry!” she panted, making way inside the four wheeled convertible. Taeyeon inhaled few deep breaths and bowed apologetically. Five times can do the trick.

“goodmorning, taeng.” Said leeteuk.

The snsd leader thought that her oppa would be furious. Instead of expecting so, all she received in return was a warm smile.

“its okay, taeng. Relax.” He replied, fixing her hair that was almost glued to her face via sweat. Taeyeon blushed in embarrassment and went to fan herself for air.

“im so sorry oppa.” She repeated.

Leeteuk nodded and raised the aircondition to a notch. “you shouldn’t have run all the way.”

“I can’t be late for another hour.” Taeyeon defended herself.

Leeteuk chuckled as he stirred the wheel.

“wouldn’t make much difference.” He said. “as long as I know that youre coming.”

Taeyeon laughed.

 “cheesy.” She said, poking him in the ribs.

The suju leader laughed too, and went to focus his eyes on the road.

A moment of awkward silence again, like rendezvous, spared by the sound made via the roaring air conditioner and stirring wheel. Leeteuk was particulary silent, probably due to the sudden light traffic the road makes. Taeyeon didn’t know how to engage in a proper conversation though, because of her embarrassment. Her eyes darted on a plastic bag instead.

There were basically food inside, a styro,two canned drinks and water.

Taeyeon lightly pat leeteuk on the shoulder.

 “oppa, you should have eaten before fetching me.” She blurted.

Leeteuk laughed again. “you really thought I packed my own breakfast? That’s actually for you.”

“huh?” taeyeon questioned.

“tell me how many minutes it took you before getting dressed.” Leeteuk said.

“more than one hour.” She replied, sheepishly.

“how long did you tell me that you’ll be ready?” he asked.

“one hour.” Taeyeon said briskly. And then she realized the time difference.

“oh.”

“so because it took you more than one hour, I guessed you won’t have time to eat.” Leeteuk smiled. “that’s why I brought food already just incase.”

Taeyeon blinked. Are her habits that visible? Too much time getting ready than eating?yes she remembered doing the same on her past activities.

Leeteuk placed the plastic bag on her lap.

“eat up, taeng.” He suggested. “its going to be quite a long ride.”

Taeyeon nodded.

kamsamnida.”

“there’s a medicine too inside the plastic.” Leeteuk added. “I still think you have quite a hangover from last night.”

Oh, last night, I drank seven sojus. Taeyeon thought.

kamsamnida.” She said again. the snsd leader’s eyebrows cringed, wondering if leeteuk is good at identifying habits or what she did was just too visible. She just shook her head, hoping to erase the thoughts.

Leeteuk looked at her. “are you okay taeng?”

“um yeah.” Taeyeon replied.

She suddenly thought of wondering where he will lead her.

“where are we going?” taeyeon asked.

“where do you want to go?” leeteuk queried instead.

“anywhere, I think.” Taeyeon said. “as long as it deserves the punishment.”

Leeteuk chuckled.

“what is it again?” taeyeon asked.

leeteuk hastily put on his shades to cover his eyes from the gleaming sun rays.

“are you still thinking that I’mr eally going to give you a punishment?” he smiled.”I’m not going to give you a hard time, taeng.”

“okay.” Taeyeon heaved out a relief. “whew..”

“you are really something, ahjumma.” Leeteuk said, pinching her hand.

----------------------

She was ready to face the challenge. The management kept quering about her feelings to the idol leader but she wouldn’t care. The national tv might have canceled her open confession but it sure would circulate through other people’s mouth, present during that day. it can leak through the press, published through various tabloids, reach the netizens eyes, but she still wouldn’t care. She must not care, as long as everyone knows what she really feels. Yes she would take the risk, even if it harms her status. Can it even harm her status? How does it concern everyone if it is her own heart?

He had been with her a couple of months already. And she really saw his potential as someone fit to be an ideal partner. She had realized this before, that even in his clumsiness, a real man stood up. That even in his fragile looking body, the sturdiness can be seen, only through the eyes of those who see him as he really is. His endless smile and laugh soothes her senses. He was practically loved by everyone through his amazing leadership abilities, and this activity captured her interest the most because she knows that through the vast random skills epitomize a man with real power. His humbleness melts her heart, and she didn’t know how to control the raging admiration she has for him.

But he loves someone else. She knows that. He might have cared for her but his eyes are really for that person, even his heart. his heart that she longs to have as her own, is stolen by a girl who doesn’t have any idea how she has done it. it daunts her so much, that she wanted to confront that girl. She began thinking about her status as a person in the first place. Is she tall enough? Yes. Guys love tall girls. Guys love girls who can sing and dance, who can carry clothes with much grace. Guys love pretty women with those chinky eyes and exuding lips. She has all that. But how is it that he does not care at all? How is it that he still has this interest to a young looking girl leader with dorkiness and carefree personality? Why is it that he likes the opposite of her?

But she wouldn’t care. Park Kahi wouldn’t care. Even though leeteuk already knows her feelings to him, maybe she would just take it as a part of her advantage. It would be easier for her to emphasize what the heart feels. And no one can stop her from doing so. No one can shush her. she loves him, and she would willingly do everything just to be with him.

Kahi packed her bags with a smile on her face. She has decided. And she is ready to go home.

-----------------------

“what? What?”

oppa, if this fails I’m going to kill you!”

Leeteuk laughed upon seeing taeyeon’s reaction of nervousness. She practically agreed on his dare to do bungee jumping, an activity which he made during his early years of debut with super junior. Now he wanted to share the exact same feeling to taeyeon, who was almost quite nervous as him but is willing to do it for the sake of experience. It took them forty minutes before reaching the destination, quite a long drive but satisfying enough for taeyeon who was eating her late breakfast along the way.

“is this the punishment that you wanted me to do?” she shouted. “if it is, im sorry!”

Taeyeon was located 20 feet above leeteuk, already wearing the safety gear and ready to jump. Leeteuk situated himself next to the giant blue cushion where taeyeon is supposed to land.

“annyeo, I just wanted you to have the experience, Taeng!” he shouted back, laughing. “I tell you, its addictive!”

“how can one possibly be addicted to jumping at such a great height?!” taeyeon blurted. “yah oppa, if this goes out wrong I’m gonna shave your hair!”

Hair, is leeteuk’s favorite part of his eternal magnificent body. To him, hair is the crowning glory of a man.

The suju leader gulped for such a threat but managed to return a smile afterwards.

“just trust me, okay?” he said. “tell me if youre ready.”

“im not ready” taeyeon confessed.

Leeteuk nodded while checking the surroundings.

“im pretty sure that the cushion is safe, so you’ll gonna land safe too.” He said.

“I think im going to throw up.” Said taeyeon, massaging .

“you wouldn’t be if you ignore the nervousness!” leeteuk suggested.

oppa!”

“yes?” leeteuk asked.

“ready your arms just incase I land somewhere!” taeyeon shouted.

Leeteuk smiled.

“im always here to catch you when you fall!” he shouted back. Leeteuk wanted to laugh at himself for saying such a thing. He knew he meant two things.

The first one is to literally catch taeyeon incase of the faulty landing. The other one is to metaphorically capture her heart incase she falls for him.

Ignoring the thought, leeteuk focused his eyes 20 feet above.

“ready?” he asked taeyeon again.

“ready!” she responded.

Leeteuk nodded and went to make a signal to the man next to taeyeon.

ahjussi, she’s ready to go!”

araso!”

“just close your eyes if youre scared!” leeteuk told taeyeon.

He looked at her and smiled. Taeyeon responded by doing a thumbs up, crouched herself to jump but checked first her gears if in place.

And she’s about to go.

Leeteuk watched as taeyeon, in a missile like manner, zoomed past the 20 feet stand, closing her eyes.

“aaaaah!” she was literally screaming for the feel it caused in her intestines.

Leeteuk was in awe, watching her bravely experience the great height.

The elasticity of the rope enabled taeyeon to return a feet above, which really sickened her.

aish, how long will this go??” she laughed as she kept on tumbling over.

“in a while, Taeng.” Leeteuk responded. He walked to and fro to watch where she will land.

“are you okay up there?” he asked.

Taeyeon jerked. “oh, me?its a blast!im completely fine!” She replied.

“just tell me if its uncomfortable already.” He sounded worried.

oppa, you better try this one too!” she suggested.

“exciting right?” leeteuk agreed. “oh, wait, taeng, don’t be too jerky.”

“I wont fall though.” Taeyeon defended herself.

He laughed and suddenly remembered to look for his cellphone.

Leeteuk checked who miscalled him. Four missed calls from his manager. He can’t be calling him for a meeting, not when he is away.

oppa.”

Is it about the management’s proposal of another super show concert in a country? Oh, that would be nice to reach out to fans.

oppa!”

Leeteuk sighed and wondered if he would answer the next batch of calls. If the manager finds out that he is with taeyeon for the moment, he might question him.

oppa!”

Should he or should he not? Aish, leeteuk thought.

“OPPA!!!!”

Leeteuk realized that taeyeon was calling him out a few times already. He turned around just to see her coming to a close.

“OPPA, CATCH ME!”

“oh, my gosh, taeng!”

Leeteuk reached out his arms to estimate taeyeon’s landing. Oh no, why not land on the big cushion instead. It almost looked like she missed the spot.

“OPPA, HELP!”

“don’t worry, I’ll catch you!” he called out. Leeteuk briskly paced himself to match taeyeon’s.

“oof!”

And she landed.

Leeteuk heaved out a sigh, glad that his head didn’t slam on the ground. His sudden blurry vision turned normal. But his back, it really hurts.He looked like he was being crushed by a heavy load.

Except that the load was a person.

mianhe, oppa!” taeyeon bit her lip to notice leeteuk in pain.

“I’m fine, don’t worry.” He replied. “I think I broke a rib.”

“MWO?!”

“just kidding, taeng.” He smiled, pinching her arms.

aish, you always kid around!” taeyeon laughed, slapping his chest.

The suju leader drew out a few deep breaths and noticed that he and taeyeon were literally embraced together. She didn’t even seem to care for the gesture.

“are you okay down there?” asked the operator 20 feet above their location.

ne!”

“really sorry oppa.” Said taeyeon while standing up. She reached out a hand to pull her sunbae.

“there, there.” She said, as leeteuk slowly regained his balance.

“thanks.” He muttered.

Taeyeon nodded, went to look around the surroundings again before returning her focus to leeteuk.

She put both hands on her hips.

“so where shall we go next?” she queried him.

It was leeteuk’s turn to smile.

“have you heard about making spicy fried ice cream?”

“spicy fried icecream?” taeyeon’s eyebrows cringed.

Leeteuk reached out for her hand.”yeah, spicy fried ice cream.” He said, pulling her to a close. “that’s our next stop.”

------------------------

“first, bungee jumping and next, this??” taeyeon said. “its definitely a weird day of hanging out.”

Leeteuk chuckled as he and taeyeon waited for the icecream ingredients. He was grateful that the ahjumma allowed him to book the shop for the day, thankful that she is a fan of super junior trot. The icecream shop was situated almost 15 minutes from the location of the bungee jump place. He specifically rented the place just as so they can make icecream without too much people noticing them. It might be the answer why leeteuk avoided amusement parks and museums and opted to go for a long drive instead. At least taeyeon and he would definitely have a great time.

ahjumma…” leeteuk called out.

He noticed that taeyeon was staring at him.

“taeng?”

She blinked.

“you said ahjumma.”

Leeteuk laughed. “oh, taeng, its not you.” He said, trying to compose himself. “it’s a real ahjumma.”

ahjumma.” He said again.

The old lady appeared from the dirty kitchen carrying with her two metal bowls with mixed cream base, a milk carton and kimchi paste.

“I have the machine, you can use it.” the ahjumma said, dropping the ingredients.

kamsamnida.” Said leeteuk, taking a bow. “we’ll just call you when something happens.”

Taeyeon turned to leeteuk with an inquiring look on the face.

“what’s the machine for?” she asked, referring to the circular object.

“its where you do the ice cream.” Leeteuk answered.

Taeyeon stood up and went to observe the machine.

“I don’t get it.” she said, tapping the object. “we’re supposed to fry the cream here?”

Leeteuk laughed.

“well, its not actually frying.” He said.”its more like freezing the cream. It just said frying so it can be interesting.”

Taeyeon blinked. She didn’t know what to say.

“just watch me do it, its like a fun scientific activity.” leeteuk said. “you like science, right?”

He checked the machine, retrieved the bowl from taeyeon’s hands and started mixing the ingredients.

“we’ll just add milk, ahjumma already mixed the cream base.” Said leeteuk while looking for the stirrer. “you want to mix? Go on.”

Taeyeon nodded and went to mimic his activity. leeteuk added the milk to liquefy the batter.

“wow, this smells good.” She said, tasting the batter.

“don’t finish it all up.” Leeteuk joked.

He measured a teaspoon of kimchi paste from the other metal bowl.

“we’ll add this next.” He suggested.

“it’ll turn reddish right?” taeyeon asked.

“ne.”

“this is so cool.” She made a couple of more stirring while leeteuk propped in the kimchi paste.”weird for adding the kimchi paste though.”

“yeah, that’s why its very authentique to hear a spicy icecream. “ he replied. “ne, that should be ready for frying. do the honors taeng.”

otokke?” taeyeon asked, scratching her head.

“oh, just put the cream in this circular metal thing.” Said leeteuk “watch how it goes.”

The snsd leader nodded. While biting her lip, she estimated a handful of cream and went to place the contents on the machine.

The cream instantly went all over.

“watch me.” Said leeteuk. Using a spatula, he spread the cream matching the size of the circle. Within a few seconds, the liquid immediately turned semi solid.

Taeyeon gaped in awe.

omo..”

“so it looks like its frying but its actually freezing.” He repeated, patting the cream with the utensil. “then all I have to do is to scrape this stuff and put it in a nice cup.”

Giddy taeyeon instantly placed the cup on leeteuk’s hand.

“this is really cool.” She said, clappingher hands.

Leeteuk scraped the cream with a spatula in mini rolls. He finished decorating the fried ice cream by adding a cherry.

“here’s your spicy fried ice cream.” He winked, presenting the filled cup to her.

omo, its really cold!” taeyeon gasped,  dipping her finger to the edge of the cup. “I’m gonna taste this now.”

Leeteuk nodded.

“so how was it?” he asked as she tried the food.

Taeyeon thought for a minute and raised her head to the ceiling, her lips.

She turned to leeteuk, making a thumbs up.

“aish, it’s the best!” the girl leader blurted, scooping some more.

“oh, really?”

Leeteuk smiled, patting taeyeon at the back of her head.

“its really spicy, but the coldness of the icecream complements it.” she added, eating another batch. “I’m gonna tell this to the girls.”

“that’s nice.”leeteuk said.

He watched her eat more.

“so since, I presented two activities to you which were actually my past activities, our last stop before dinner will be somewhat related to yours.”  Leeteuk suddenly said as she finished eating.

Taeyeon placed the empty cup next to the machine.

“wait, doing icecream was a past activity of yours?” she asked, cleaning her hands.

ne, I used to work in an icecream shop before.” He answered. “why?”

Taeyeon slapped leeteuk at the back.

yah, oppa youre so old then!” she blurted.

Leeteuk lightly hit her head with his hand.

“you tell it if as if I really aged.” He pouted.

“just kidding oppa!” taeyeon sang, rubbing his shoulder. “ne, so how was the last stop related to me?”

“that is a complete secret.” Leeteuk said. “I bet you’ll cry once you see it.”

Taeyeon stuck her tongue. “haha, as if.”

He smiled.

“watch me.”

---------------------------

6:15 pm

She couldn’t hear or see what he is going to do or present. she’s completely blindfolded and he covered her ears just as they reach the last stop. Oppa sure has a lot of surprises, taeyeon thought. all she can hear are murmurs of leeteuk’s enthusiastic voice, telling her of the surprise she was about to see. A few more steps, about twenty paces or so. Taeyeon wobbled like a duck and feel the coldness of the surroundings enveloping her. she forgot to bring a jacket again. how many times would she have to remember that?

oppa.”

“hmm?” leeteuk asked.

Taeyeon shivered.

“cold.” She said, embracing herself.

“oh.”

Taeyeon could hear her sunbae removing his gray sweater.

kamsamnida.” She whispered as leeteuk hastily covered her with the jacket.

“youre not yet old and yet you really forgot things easily.” Leeteuk laughed.

He helped taeyeon walked the last few steps.

“well, here we are.” He said.

Taeyeon moved her head uneasily.

“I can’t hear a thing.” She muttered.

“of course you wont first.” Said leeteuk.

And he mouthed few words to someone taeyeon cannot even hear. It sounded a signal.

The next thing she knew, she could anticipate a beauteous sound of chimes, bells and twinkling sounds.

Taeyeon removed her blindfold and was amazed of what she saw.

There was a ground carousel just a feet away, with shiny horses and brass metals, carriages, and teacups. The twinkling sound she heard was absolutely from the music it plays. There was no person around, just she, leeteuk and the operator. It looked like he rented the place again just for her.

omo.” She said again.

Leeteuk could identify the water welling from her eyes.

“so im not lying with my bet, huh?” he said, playing with her hair.

“you tearjerker.” Taeyeon pouted, slapping him again at the back.

Leeteuk laughed.

“go on taeng, ride your dream.” He said.

“how did you know that I was dying to ride one?” asked taeyeon as she and leeteuk chose horses they could ride. She had dream of riding the merry go round since she was little, but the early debut with snsd and her growing popularity enabled her to stop from doing so.

“I read from your fan page.” Leeteuk smiled. “it really helped me.and the merry go round song was your favorite from your first mini album if im not mistaken.”

Taeyeon nodded and chose a black horse to ride.

ne. you ride the  white one cos its your favorite.” She told him.

annyeo, im picking the teacup.” Said leeteuk, taking a seat to the green giant object next to the black stallion.

The scene reminded taeyeon of alice in wonderland.

kamsamnida, oppa.” She muttered, leaning her head the brass metal.

The twinkling sound, cold breezy air and the orange lights she could see brought a warm feeling to her senses. It was so sweet that she could almost taste it. it was like an early Christmas present.

“I can ride this the whole time.” She sighed.

“oh no you won’t.” leeteuk said. “it’ll make you awfully dizzy.”

Taeyeon’s eyebrows cringed.

“it does?” she sounded disappointed.

“you really sound like you haven’t been been on one.” Said leeteuk, stirring the metal wheel situated on the teacup.

Taeyeon laughed, and turned her direction to a crew coming to the grand carousel.

yah, oppa.”

“taeng?” leeteuk queried, straightening himself from his sitting position.

He twitched to look at what she was eyeing.

A group of men haven’t noticed them yet, but he was sure that they looked familiar. They were about six of them, clad in black jackets with matching black bonnets, and cameras at hand. One was holding a ladder, the other one was carrying a massive stage light.

Leeteuk further squinted to see what the men are about to do. They were laughing, probably just finished having an early dinner.

There was a grey container van coming to a close that prompted him to identify who they really were. It parked 10 feet away from them.

But leeteuk could already see what was written on the van.

“SM ENTERTAINMENT” taeyeon read, answering his thoughts.

Leeteuk quickly stood up from his sitting position and carried the snsd leader away from the horse she was riding.

oppa, how come theyre here??” she asked, as she reached the ground.

“I don’t know too, might be a music video or a photoshoot.” Leeteuk replied, holding her hand. he thought hard. Leeteuk  looked from below the carousel to estimate their landing if they jump ahead. One and a half feet above the ground, not bad.

“when I count to three, we’ll jump and we ran, araso?” he told taeyeon

ne.” she agreed.

Leeteuk gulped, looked at the group of men who were still dumbfounded of who were riding the carousel and nodded.

“one, two, three, jump!”

And they ran.

Leeteuk didn’t know where to go but tried to look for any shortcut to his car. He couldn’t believe how their management discovered the place. He knew that the grand carousel ride was almost a secret location, only known to some villagers in the province. He was devastated.

“im sorry.” He muttered. “are you still okay, taeng?”

“yes, im fine.” She replied as they ran more. “don’t worry oppa, I think they didn’t see us.”

“I know one man there.” Leeteuk said. “he was the cameraman to one of the group’s music videos.”

“I think I know some of them too.” Taeyeon agreed. “the ahjussi there even complimented my singing.”

“oh, so another competition.” Leeteuk rolled his eyes.

“and youre still thinking of that.” Said Taeyeon hitting him again in the back.

“just kidding.” Leeteuk said.

He could almost see a white car hidden behind the trees.

Leeteuk slowly halted himself to identify if its his.

“ah, my car.” He pointed, dragging taeyeon in a speed again.

“ran as fast as you can when I let go of you.” Leeteuk told taeyeon as they hid between the bushes. “so no one can see us from here when we cross the street.”

“okay.” Said taeyeon.

And Leeteuk pushed her.

“ran, taeng.” He said.

--------------------------

“yah I think I died down there.” Said taeyeon

She was referring to the escape they made upon seeing a group of SM entertainment staff that both surprised her and leeteuk. It was an unexpected procedure, where they both have to ran to flee from the danger of exposing themselves. Both were really known to the staff as leeteuk and taeyeon are both leaders of a large group and were the ones who usually approach the crew when having problems with shooting or capturing videos and photoshoots.

They were now inside an old provincial restaurant, having dinner.

Leeteuk stretched his legs and leaned his back to the wall.

“im really sorry.” He smiled, closing his eyes. He opened them to see taeyeon laughing.

“its not your fault.” she replied. “who knows they’ve been discovering hidden spots in korea nowadays?”

Leeteuk laughed and positioned himself to scoop a spoonful of hot miso soup.

“but really, thankyou for the unbelievable day.” taeyeon said, stressing the words “unbelievable”. “I really had a great time.”

“you did?” leeteuk asked. She nodded. “good then.”

“it got better when we have to ran away from the staff.” She chuckled. “it was almost like an adventure.”

aish, who knows you might have been really scared.” Leeteuk teased, pinching her cheek.

Taeyeon stuck her tongue.

“well, yeah, I really got nervous.” She said, pulling a plate of kimchi infront of her. “I thought theyre going to notice us.”

“glad they didn’t.” leeteuk winked. “rate me from 1 to 10, how was your day?”

Taeyeon smiled.

“eleven.” She said, pointing her chopsticks at him.

“liar.” He laughed.

“yah, I really had a great time!” taeyeon defended herself.

“okay,if that’s it then thankyou.” Leeteuk bowed. He went to immerse himself by eating the soup.

Taeyeon stood up and sat in a kneeling position next to her sunbae. Leeteuk bent his head sideways, uncertain of what she’s doing.

“what?” he asked quizzically.

oppa sure makes a normal day undeniably fun and for that you will have a prize.” taeyeon concluded.

And her lips touched his cheek.