CHAPTER 24

A dorky Heart

It was cold. Leeteuk rubbed his bare hands and placed it to the sides of his face. He felt an instantaneous surge of warmness flowing through his blood. It was a very chilly morning, and he felt it on the way to the SM building. He almost got totally carried away by a great blow of wind and brisk rustle of leaves. It made him feel lazy. Coldness always calls for a day when one is in total need of rest. Besides who would want to move on a very cold morning? he’s not like Siwon who would always hit the treadmill in his short sleeves, contemplating how lovely the day is. He is almost in his thirties, late twenties to be exact and he would always get back ache due to the accident he had years ago. The mind set and physicality is totally different. And He’s not getting young.

But then again, he must think of new routines to practice. And there he was standing in the middle of the practice room, thinking of how to complete the dance steps of their upcoming fifth album.

“hot cocoa?” heechul’s head appeared from the two door entrance with a tray filled with cups.

Leeteuk raised his hand.

“I’ll be having one.” He said.

“you look stressed.” Heechul noticed as he gave a portion to the leader. “oi, don’t stress yourself on routines, we have a lot of choreographers.”

“I just want to have a good contribution.” Leeteuk smiled. What would be better than being part of the makings of an album itself?

mwo—its not like you’re going to die soon or anything.” Heechul poked his head. “aish.. where’s heebum?”

Heebum is heechul’s infamous grey cat. Apparently, the cat was nowhere to be found.

“chasing mice?” leeteuk joked. “there beside my bag, sleeping.”

Heechul pouted upon seeing his cat drifting away in his dreams.

“I thought he’s going to play with me.” He stuck his tongue. “yah, heebummie wake up!”

“let him sleep.” Leeteuk commented. Hw eould also love to do that for himself. Heebum only made a stir and continued sleeping. “he doesn’t want to be disturbed.”

Heechul nodded and leaned himself next to the table where he placed the tray.

“you know what, every time I say heebum, I’m being reminded of our Kibum.” Heechul confessed.

Leeteuk drank the contents of his cup.

“ouch, hot… you too?” he smiled. “but I guess he’s fine anyways. I always see pictures of him wandering around somewhere.”

“suppose he would join the fifth album?” heechul asked.

“kibum in the fifth album? maybe.” Leeteuk shrugged. “I think it will depend on his schedules. I miss having him around though.”

He was reminded of Kibum as the silent guy in suju but is always the one who’s  equipped with so much sense when he talks.

“I remember back then I wasn’t good enough for him as a leader, I want to show him now that I’ve improved.” Leeteuk said.

“you’ve improved a lot park jungsu.” Heechul winked.

“I hope so.” The suju leader sighed. leeteuk paced a few steps to turn off the cd player.

yah, I got a mail this morning.” heechul mentioned.

Leeteuk turned around to see his reaction.

“about?”

“the military enlistment.” Heenim replied. “we’ve applied, remember?”

“oh that.”

“don’t tell me you forgot about it?”

“nope, I talked it over with Kangin last week.” Leeteuk said flatly. “I didn’t know that it was going to be that quick.”

“the camp’s gonna open soon for applicants, there isn’t any time left.” Heechul said.

Leeteuk nodded. He isn’t getting any younger too. Both of them are capable of enlisting to the army. It will give them a two year hiatus, and their activities with super junior will be halted for a while.

“can I have another hot cocoa?” leeteuk pointed to the tray.

“go on.”

“it makes me nervous actually, the enlistment.” Leeteuk confessed as he got himself another cup. “like we will be gone within two years time or so. Will people still remember us when we return? What if when we come back super junior is a lot different?”

“you can’t doubt that super junior has reached the age where they have to comply with the country’s requirements.” Heechul said, referring to the military enlistment. “you can’t deny that once we returned the other members will have to comply with the requirements too.”

Leeteuk’s heart raced. He had thought a lot about this before. Only that they were young that time and he cared a little about it.

“I guess my dream won’t be really complete in five years.” He muttered.

“your dream of reconciling with thirteen members?”

“yeah, with our kangin, hangeng and kibum.” Leeteuk said. “remember when we talked at the hotel about this stuff?”

“leeteuk, super junior is forever.” Heechul assured him. “even if we lack members, the spirit is still there. The willingness to perform is still there. Even if it may seem vague right now to reconcile, it will happen in a years time. We just have to wait.”

“I’ll rely on that.” leeteuk smiled. He was so nervous that he got himself another batch of chocolate drink.

“there’s one person though that you really have to talk to regarding the enlistment.” Heechul said.

Leeteuk bit his lip.

“oh, my gosh, my taeng.” He sulked.

How could he have forgotten to mention her about the enlistment? Maybe because he doesn’t have the letter yet unlike heechul.

“you’ll be gone in years. You really need to seriously talk about that stuff with her.” heechul said. “I’m sure she’ll understand.”

“yes, I hope so.”

------------------------------

Recording Studio

Taeyeon’s POV

Its so cold.. I think I’m wearing two to three layers of clothing? And I am in the middle of a recording. My voice gets cranky and I have to repeat singing some high pitch lines. I’ve been in the studio recording for about an hour now. Seohyun and yoona were waiting for me outside the room. We were separated by a glass window.

“go go unni!” yoona cheered.

I smiled and waited until the technicians told me to wrap up.

“they didn’t say yet to whom are you singing for?” seohyun asked when I walked up to them for a break.

“not yet.” I said, scratching my head. “I think I need a hot tea, I really don’t like the sound of my voice today.”

“want me to get you one?” I was surprised to see kyuhyun appearing at the studio.

“just when did you appear so nice?” I laughed, massaging my throat.

Kyuhyun smirked.

“you have to get used to it.” he said, nearing seohyun.

aigoo.” The maknae muttered.

“what’s the problem?” I asked seohyun.

Kyuhyun blinked.

“I’m courting her by the way.” He said, referring to seohyun.

mwo?” my eyes got big that I think it made yoona unfold  her boyish laugh.

“that’s why he’s nice.” Yoona chimed in. “because you’re the big sister.”

aish, don’t think I’ll be easy on you.” I said, messing up his hair.

“it’s okay, I’m used to evil step sisters.” Kyuhyun grinned. “ne, cinderella seo?”

Seohyun smiled and stared at her feet.

yah, you and I are going to talk later, okay?” I told her. I turned to kyuhyun who looked like he was waiting for a command. “my hot tea please?”

araso.” He said, walking out.

I watched kyu disappear from my view.

“don’t tell me leeteuk influenced him?” I asked yoona.

The snsd’s main image shrugged.

“I don’t think so.” She smiled. “who doesn’t like our maknae?”

-----------------------------

SUJU PRACTICE ROOM

“do you have some hot tea?” kyuhyun peeked.

“why ask for hot tea?” heechul asked.

Kyuhyun closed the door behind him.

“taeyeon needs hot tea for her cracked voice.” He smirked. He turned towards leeteuk who was keeping himself busy by doing some dance moves. “hyung, do you have some hot tea?”

“do I look like a walking tea bag?” leeteuk laughed, brushing his bangs out of his sweat drenched face.

Kyuhyun grinned.

“get your girl some tea.” He ordered.

mwo?get it for her.” leeteuk said instead. “you’re courting right? Be nice to the sisters first.”

“I know. how come you didn’t court the other snsd members?” kyuhyun suddenly wondered.

“because he was already nice.” Heechul commented.

Kyuhyun stuck his tongue.

“no wonder you don’t have a girlfriend too.” He remarked.

aish.” Heechul ignored kyuhyun by focusing to the sleeping heebum beside leeteuk’s bag.

“I’ll buy her tea incase you don’t get any.” Leeteuk looked at kyuhyun with concern. “okay?”

“thanks eomma.” Kyuhyun blew a good bye kiss. “ne, I’ll be back. I think hyukjae’s coming in a while to help you with some routines.”

ne.”

Kyuhyun was replaced by leeteuk’s manager hyung.

“oi, you’re early.” Heechul bowed.

Manager hyung acknowledged the greeting and paced towards where leeteuk is.

“a telegram.” He said, handing out a white envelope.

Leeteuk fixed his bangs again.

“this is for?” but his sudden question was immediately replaced by shock.

“I’m enlisted.” Leeteuk concluded upon reading the contents.

ne. you’ll be joining the army after wrapping up super show three and the fifth album.” Manager hyung said.

Leeteuk bit his lip. That was more like one more year to go to do his activities.

“so we’re really going to enlist together.” He said, referring to heechul. Heenim was staring at him too.

“yeah, same age, same date.” Heechul said.

Leeteuk sighed and thought about taeyeon.

---------------------------------

RECORDING STUDIO

“wow, thanks.” Taeyeon smiled as kyuhyun handed him a warm cup of tea.

“that’s fifty won by the way.” He commented. He laughed upon seeing taeyeon’s reaction. “just kidding.”

“you better be.” Taeyeon said. She returned to the recording spot with contentment in heart.

Kyuhyun watched her and suddenly spotted that Seohyun was silently playing with taeyeon’s iphone on the chair.

gomawo.” She smiled, without looking at kyuhyun.

“would you like anything, my princess?” kyuhyun smiled too.

Seohyun blinked.

“sit here.” She invited him.

“what are you playing?” he asked upon sitting.

Seohyun handed him the phone.

“barbie dress up.” She smiled.

“oh.” Kyuhyun didn’t know whether to comply with her invitation to play. “is that nice?”

“ a little boring.” Seohyun confessed. “taeyeon unni likes this game so she had this installed. I like RPG games more.”

“me too.” Kyuhyun agreed.

Seohyun nodded and kept on playing. Kyuhyun watched as she try on different styles of dress for her mannequin.

“I think suju should have that idea too.” He suddenly thought aloud.

“huh?” seohyun stared at him, confused.

“we’re in the point of deciding what to conceptualize for the fifth album.” Kyuhyun shared. “I think it will be better if there are guy dress up games so it would be easier for us to think.”

“hmm..makes sense.” Seohyun said.

“its boring here, would you like to see our practice?” kyuhyun asked.

Seohyun nodded.

“okay.” She got up and mouthed to taeyeon that she will be back.

“let’s go.” She smiled.

--------------------------------

SM BUILDING 6:30 PM

Leeteuk already finished making up some parts of his routine.

“see you later at the dorm, hyung.” Eunhyuk waved as he paced towards the elevator.

“are you sure you’re not taking a shower?” leeteuk asked while fixing his bag.

Eunhyuk laughed.

hyung, who takes a shower in winter? Pss…. Besides its cold.”

mwo—its hygiene.” Leeteuk blinked.

“look who’s talking.” Eunhyuk laughed again.

“okay fine.” Leeteuk threw the house keys at the sj monkey’s face. “see you later then.”

ne, hyung, don’t forget were having dinner at home.”

ne.” leeteuk headed for the male locker room.

It has truly been a part of an idol’s life to spend time in the locker room after having a busy schedule of dance practices. The locker room in itself is spacious, and almost looked like a big hotel room. It has a living room, a reception area for towels and a huge door beside it which lead to the shower, toilet area and more locker areas.

kamsamnida.” Leeteuk said upon receiving a towel.

“son, I’m leaving early for family dinner, is it alright if I leave you here?” the old receptionist lady asked.

Leeteuk nodded.

ne ahjumma, leave the place to me.” He winked.

Leeteuk pulled out some magazine from the rack beside the receptionist area and headed towards the shower room.

There was a long white wooden bench situated at the center of the shower area that separates the bathing place and the toilet area. Leeteuk was fond of reading magazines first before immersing himself to bathe. It had been a weird habit. Members would for spending so much time lazing inside a locker room.

Leeteuk sat on the bench and flipped through the pages of the Korean entertainment magazine. He saw some really cool outfits that gave him an idea how to conceptualize for the fifth album.

How would fifth album look like? He thought. He had so much ideas in mind that he want to have this things tackled with s. Of course heechul would react to every clothing plan he says.

Leeteuk remembered his outfit for bonamana. Should suju opt for the same again?

He placed the magazine on the sink and removed his shirt. Leeteuk studied the outfit again and contemplated on what would the boys look like if they wear the same outfit.

“yo, stripper!”

Leeteuk looked from the mirror infront him and was shocked to see a laughing taeyeon inside the area.

“oh my gosh.” Leeteuk covered his bare chest with the magazine.

“as if you have something to hide.” Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

She walked near him and playfully took a seat at the sink.

“nice.” Taeyeon said, looking at his abs.

“what are you doing here anyway?” leeteuk asked. “wait, how did you get in at the first place?”

Taeyeon grinned and raised a couple of clinking keys.

“the ahjumma gave it to me.” She grinned.

ne, go ahead take a bath.go go” she said, kicking him in the shin.

Leeteuk bit his lip.

“go outside first.” He said.

“no way, I’m enjoying my view.” She replied.

Leeteuk’s eyes widened.

“enjoying what?”

“can’t you see?” taeyeon gestured, referring to him.

Leeteuk placed the magazine near the mirror.

“woah, nice chest.” Taeyeon commented.

yah, I’m taking a bath no girls allowed.” Leeteuk said.

Taeyeon giggled.

“so?”

“so?” leeteuk pursed his lips like a duck. “why so?”

“nothing.” Taeyeon smiled mischievously.

Leeteuk pointed his head to the shower door.

“look, another reason why you got to go.” He winked.

“what about it?”

“honey, the shower door is transparent.” Leeteuk said, shocked.

“better view for me.” Taeyeon thought aloud.

aish, get out.” Leeteuk laughed pulling her to stand.

“I’ll just close my eyes, see?” taeyeon closed her eyes but the other was slightly open.

Leeteuk gently pinched her arm.

“hey lady, if someone sees you spending time here, we’ll be both in debt.” He smiled. “go in the living room, there’s a tv.”

araso. just kidding.” Taeyeon sang the words, tiptoed herself up and kissed him on the cheek. “ I’ll wait for you, don’t take long.”

She stood up and noticed his shirt lying on the floor.

aish, don’t just drop your shirt somewhere, it might get germs.” Taeyeon said, picking it up.

Upon picking leeteuk’s clothing, she noticed an envelope beside it.

“I think you dropped something in here too.” She added, placing the envelope under the light. “What’s this, love letter?”

the enlistment letter! Leeteuk thought. He remembered that he had it stuck on his shirt when manager hyung gave it to him.

Taeyeon curiously slipped out the contents of the envelope and carefully read the contents.

“taeng, I can explain.” Leeteuk said.

But it was already too late. Her eyes were already welling.

yah, why didn’t you tell me this before!” she shoved the paper in his chest and quickly locked herself to the nearby toilet.

“taeng.” Leeteuk gently knocked on the cubicle. “taeng, let me explain what’s happening.”

“I don’t want to hear your voice, get out!” she choked. Leeteuk can hear that she was making herself sit at the closed toilet seat.

“taeng, it’s a compulsory thing to do, I’m sorry.”

“you should have told me earlier still!”

Leeteuk shook his head.

“I’m supposed to tell you today. Its just that I have to find the right words to explain. I just got the letter earlier and it would be better if I have the evidence right?” He said. “I don’t want to hurt you.”

“you’re already hurting me!” taeyeon defended herself.

“taeng.” Leeteuk knocked again. “open the door and let me explain, please. It would be better if we talk about this face to face”

“no!”

“fine, I’ll just explain this stuff this way, you me and the cubicle.” Leeteuk said. “please mr. cubicle, I hope my taeng listens to me.”

“I don’t want to hear your voice!”

Leeteuk pouted.

“how come? Last night you just said that you love listening to my voice.” He said.

“that’s last night, now is different.” Taeyeon said.

“I’ll get through this door.” Leeteuk fumbled for the top portion of the cubicle.

“don’t do that!”

“taeng, I need my shirt, I’m getting cold.” Leeteuk felt a small breeze of air rushing through the pores of his skin.

“no way that you’re gonna get it.”

Leeteuk bit his lip.

“don’t you love me?”

“no.”

“are you sure?”

“yah, what’s with the question anyways when you already know my answer?” taeyeon asked.

Leeteuk knocked again.

“you love me right?” he asked gently. “if you love me, you’ll open this cubicle.”

yah, don’t take advantage.” Taeyeon’s voice echoed.

Leeteuk smiled.

“honey, please open the door.”

No respond.

“for me please?”

Leeteuk inched his ear towards the cubicle.

“taeng?” he asked again.

The cubicle instantly opened and taeyeon got out, pouting.

“I’m sorry.” She said, looking down.

“at last.” Leeteuk hugged her as if seeing her for the first time.

Taeyeon buried her face in his shoulder.

“why do you have to go there anyways?” she muttered. “I hate you for doing that.”

“I’m sorry everyone has to, right?” leeteuk smiled. “ so I can protect you too.”

“I can protect myself.”

“then what’s my purpose?” leeteuk asked.

“display?” taeyeon kidded. Leeteuk pinched her back. “ne, ne, take a bath. Just explain to me everything later.”

Taeyeon loosened her hug and threw leeteuk his shirt.

“I think you’re going to give me a flu.” Leeteuk joked.

--------------------------------

“two years… so that’s like twenty four months of continuing my activities without seeing you.” Taeyeon thought.

She and leeteuk were seated opposite each other at the living room area of the locker room, after the suju leader had his shower.

“and to top it all that, I’ll be waiting for you in two years.” Taeyeon continued.

Leeteuk sighed.

“I’m really sorry.” He said.

Taeyeon shook her head.

“its okay, were cool.”

“tell me how you feel.” Leeteuk encouraged.

“of course I’m devastated.” She made a laugh that leeteuk cannot figure out if it was out of sarcasm or a relief that she mentioned what she felt. “I’m devastated because I’m already your girlfriend. It took us months before being together. We had trials with the company, we had trials within ourselves. It took me a lot of thinking and time to realize my feelings for you. I’m glad that we became a couple after those hardships but again? another trial? Its like, wow, how do these things end?”

“I know its really hard for you and I’m really sorry for that.” leeteuk said. “I was really planning to tell you before. But everytime I think of you, and how will it be if I see you react, I don’t know if I can really  take it.”

“I planned entering the army way before I became your boyfriend.” He confessed, looking down.

“is it a really bad timing?” taeyeon stared at leeteuk with her eyes welling with tears. “I don’t know if I was just too slow to realize my feelings or its fate that you’re destined to be really far away from me.”

“don’t think that way.” leeteuk got up and sat next to taeyeon. He placed his arm around her.

“its jut things happen and we have to comply with it. but hey we still have more time to catch up with each other.”

“one year to go right?” the snsd leader asked. “don’t get me wrong, I can handle this stuff. Its just that I have to personally react before accepting you know.”

“its alright, I understand. And yes, one year to make our lives worth living.” Leeteuk said. “I still have one year to spend with you.”

“and, its really up to you if you can wait for me or not in two years. I will respect any decision you’ll make.” He added.

Leeteuk massaged his chest. Saying those words pronounced a great pang to his heart.

Taeyeon poked his head.

booya?of course I’ll wait for you.” She smiled. “just make sure that you won’t fall for any other girl when you’re there, or worse fall for a guy.”

“and now you’re doubting my uality.” Leeteuk laughed, tightening his embrace. “you know what, I hate seeing you cry.”

He stared at her eyes, and brushed the tears gently with his finger. Taeyeon can’t help but to laugh at his gesture.

“just make sure you’ll be alright there.” She whispered.

“I will be.” He smiled. “ne, its not like I’m going to enter the army soon. Lets just focus on ourselves first shall we? I want to focus to my career and especially to my girlfriend.”

ne.” taeyeon agreed.

Leeteuk got up and pulled taeyeon to stand.

“are you feeling okay now?” he asked.

“better.” Taeyeon smiled.

“thank you so much for understanding me.” Leeteuk said.

Taeyeon pinched his arm.

“who would understand you more than me?” she assured him.

“aww.” Leeteuk embraced her again.

“I’ll be having dinner with the boys.” He said, holding her hand. “want to join us?”

“do you have another chair?” taeyeon joked.

Leeteuk laughed.

“I think my legs can spare a weight.” He smiled.

--------------------------------------

* sorry! i was thinking of putting my thoughts about leeteuk's enlistment so i dedicated a chapter about it.. :0