CHAPTER 8

A dorky Heart

Taeyeon blinked. What lay before her was leeteuk sound asleep. She knew that she cannot wake him up because of the effects of sleeping pill she gave him by mistake. Taeyeon walked to and fro, biting her fingernails, didn’t know what to do. what if she calls a member of super junior instead? Or Park Kahi to fetch leeteuk? Nah, they might question her for being with him on the wee hours of the night, or worse, blame her for giving the wrong medicine. Taeyeon was dumbfounded, she knew that she made a complete mistake. If only she checked the drug label then leeteuk must have been well and will practically drive her home.

 

Should we go to the hospital? She thought. No its too public. Or what if to a clinic in a province? Hah, she would have to go to province because of the incident upon her mistake?? And besides, who doesn’t know super junior?

 

Taeyeon watched leeteuk, looked at the time and sighed. Its almost 2 am. What should she do? a couple of hours to go and it will be a sunny new morning. But she knew that the effect of sleeping pill might take a lot of hours to inactivate. So leeteuk will be asleep for some time. And so, she must think of a plan to save herself and him from being spotted by anyone.

 

Taeyeon blinked again,thinking. An idea popped into her head.

“it’s the only way.” She sighed, poking the sleeping leeteuk on the arm.

---------------------------------

 

Kahi’s POV

 

2 am… he said he’ll be back after retrieving his phone from the SM building. And yet he’s still not home. Did something happen? I hope not. He knew how to drive, and the distance from here was only 30 minutes. I already called him for five times. Yes he replied after that, saying that he went to do something important. So what important is that thing, being outside even after midnight? Oh no. he should really be home by this time. Should I call him again? maybe he’ll be pissed off if I do.

If I sleep now, what if I wake up finding him not here? Should I call the police? Too exaggerated. But I can’t help if I worry too much. He’s so important to me that I can’t let a moment pass not knowing he’s safe. If I come outside and fetch him, where should I go? This is a dilemma.

 

Ring!

 

My phone rang. I rushed to the bed side table to take glimpse someone calling. Its Leeteuk ssi! So he’s safe! I’m so glad.

 

“Yah, why aren’t you home yet?” I asked, forgetting to say a small greeting.

unni? Its kim taeyeon.” Said a girl’s voice. I froze. A girl’s voice and Kim Taeyeon? She was that member of snsd, Leeteuk’s favorite girl group.

“Taeyeon?” was the only thing I said. I couldn’t believe that she was the one calling me.

“yes, kim taeyeon.” Taeyeon said through the phone.

A moment of silence. I guess she was thinking of the right words to say.

“I need to know the address of the place where you are right now.” She continued. I heard steps from the receiver, she must be walking to and fro, not knowing what to do. Its really important. Er—oppa is here but he can’t talk to you. Something happened. I’ll just explain later. I just need to know your address please.”

My heart skipped fast. “is he safe? What happened?” I was asking so many questions, I forgot to answer hers first.

“yah, unni, I’ll just explain later. Please tell me. We’ll catch a cold here.”

I quickly told her the address and after that she hung up. What happened to him? And why are they together? Did they by chance meet at the building?

 

Taeyeon’s POV

Leeteuk and I reached the We Got Married house thirty minutes after I called Park Kahi. She was already outside, sitting at the porch of the stairs. Weird. Sitting there would give her colds and yet she didn’t care. Did the two establish a thing together? And why I am butting in? I already told Leeteuk that we don’t have the same feeling. And yet I didn’t know if what I said was appropriate. Because supposed to be it is, but the aching part of absorbing the contents of what I said didn’t even stop. Its like a time bomb waiting to explode.

 

Park Kahi helped me pull leeteuk out of the taxi to reach inside the house. The house looked really like a couple’s home. The living room was decorated with pictures of them goofing around, some of leeteuk’s model photos and Kahi’s own solo photos. the refrigerator in the kitchen has post it notes of house chores and list of groceries to buy. And the house was so clean. I doubt that leeteuk is the one cleaning it, because he used to laze around, waiting for s to do house chores. But I guess it’s a part of his changed self because Kahi is also busy with her After School activities and no one’s going to clean except them.

 

We put leeteuk on the bed, the only bed inside the house, for goodness sake. The two of them sleeping together? This is too much to handle. Kim Taeyeon, focus! Leeteuk looked like really lost in his consciousness. He was practically not moving.

 

“there. Just wait for him until he wakes up.” I told Kahi after she removed leeteuk’s shoes and placed a blanket up to his chest.

Kahi patted the blanket, making sure that it was tucked properly. Then she looked at me. I almost laughed at what she did, because she was so ahjumma.

“we need to talk.” She said, not avoiding my stare. I nodded.

Kahi closed the bedroom and led me downstairs to the living room. I was a bit nervous. Because I have to tell the truth and she’s a lot older than me so I should pay my respect. She and leeteuk were almost the same age after all. Two years I guess? Compared to me who’s 9 years younger. She could have been my older sister. Leeteuk could have been my older brother, but his childishness and my ahjumma like attitude makes us look as if were just in the same wavelength.

“First, you have to tell me what really happened and next, tell me why you two were together.” She explained, putting her hands at her hips.

I calmly sat on the couch and rested my hands on my knees. “well, first of all, we met at the bulding.” When I said this, her facial expression  looked shocked. “its because we both forgot something. He left his phone there, I left some thing, and he told you that right?”

Kahi nodded. “continue.” She said.

I paused for a while and continued. “then after we saw each other, he said he’s going to drive me home and I agreed because--- because I agreed.” I can’t tell her that he held my hand, or else I would have been killed by her. “then, he complained that his head hurt so we have to stop by to a drug store so that I can buy his medicine. And we both know that he cannot drive in a condition like that. Imagine my nerve when we were about to hit a truck before us.”

Kahi seemed to absorb my answers one by one resulting to the creased marks on her forehead.

“and why is he sleeping right now when he’s supposed to be awake and well from the headache?” she asked me.

“that part is a big mistake of mine.” I said while standing up. I don’t want her to feel that I’m disrespecting her. “because I gave him a sleeping pill.”

“you gave him a sleeping pill??” kahi repeated my answer with a strain in the voice.

“well, it really is a mistake.” I said, trying to calm her down. “you see I didn’t read the label. The old lady in the pharmacy must have been really sleepy so she gave me that instead of the pain reliever.”

“how could you let that thing happen?” she asked furiously. My, Park Kahi is a scary person.

“I know. It really is my fault, I’m sorry.” I said biting my lip. Looks like my apologetic words won’t calm her down either. “but hey, it’s a sleeping pill. It can work for a headache right? Cos he really looked as if he hadn’t slept for days!”

I was laughing at what I said but she was still serious.

“you could have him killed!” she exclaimed, fanning herself. Then my heart hurt. She was right. It can be any other medicine. I would be really guilty if something happens to leeteuk, and I wont forgive myself for that.

“I’m sorry okay?” I said stressing the words. “lets just be positive that thank goodness he just had a sleeping pill. And when he wakes up he can tell you really what happened from his perspective.”

“if I was the one in your position, first I would really read the label.” Kahi reminded me. “because I know that someone important me is going to swallow that pill in any minute from that time. And I would really be careful to avoid harming that person. Especially if its leeteuk. ”

She looked at me straight in the eye. “and you, who’s supposed to be a really close friend of his, missed that.”

I was lost for words. I didn’t know what to say. She was really right. It was my responsibility to read labels. And I will do that from now on. Every little thing is clearer, I could have him killed. I broke his heart, and I gave him a wrong pill. Water started to form in my eyes.

I was hurt.

yah, I know I made a mistake but that doesn’t mean that I don’t care for him!” I said and walked out of the house.

Kahi followed me. “hey its dangerous outside, stay here until morning!” she called. But I was hesitant. I never want her see me cry. I don’t care what happens to me anyway.

-------------------------

Leeteuk woke up feeling a surge of pain in the head. He rubbed his temples, easing the soreness. The throbbing pulse on the lateral part of his head was like an attack. His migraine disappeared because of proper hours of sleep, so it had to be the effects of over sleeping that gives him the ache. Taeyeon must have laughed at him when she accidentally gave him a sleeping pill. Or did she laugh when he was in a deep sleep? And where was taeyeon anyway?

 

And where am i? he thought. Leeteuk looked around. He was already inside the We Got Married house. He was in bed.  He looked at the time. It was 9 am. He slept for nine hours. Thanks to the sleeping pill, he can resume to his daily activities. So where was Taeyeon? Did she by chance drop him here?

 

Leeteuk got up from the bed, washed his face in the nearby bathroom and headed downstairs. The table on the kitchen area was already filled with food. Leeteuk’s stomach growled, he was hungry. One effect of the long hours of sleep would be a perfect transit time of food being mixed in the stomach.

 

“oh, hi, how are you?” Kahi emerged from the backyard,dressed in house clothes and apron. She must have cooked late to catch up on his sleep. “eat your breakfast.”

“where’s Taengoo?” leeteuk asked her while looking down at the food she prepared.

Kahi laughed. “I put too much effort cooking your food and that is the first thing you’re asking me?” she sat down at the table opposite me. “you’re helpless.”

“where is she?” he asked again.

Kahi sighed. “she left after leaving you to me.”

“you didn’t let her stay?” leeteuk was shocked. “its too dangerous for her to be outside.”

“yah, it would be dangerous for me to be outside too if I followed you last night.” Kahi snapped. “you arrived here almost three in the morning.”

Leeteuk was worried. “I told her I will drive her home. Turns out that she was the one who drove me home.”

Kahi looked at leeteuk with a pained expression. “so that was the important thing you told me last night huh? Driving her home?”

Leeteuk nodded.  “keeping taeyeon safe is important to me.”

“why didn’t you tell me that you were with her?”

“why?” leeteuk laughed.

“So that I won’t worry too you know.” Kahi said, disappointed.

“I’m sorry Kahi.” Leeteuk said, pinching her on the cheek. “you see I haven’t talked to her for a long time. That’s why being with her last night dropped me off my senses.”

“even if she gave you a wrong medicine?” Kahi asked, pouting.

“yes.” Leeteuk said. “she made a mistake on that but it wasn’t entirely her fault, it was an accident. I am at fault too because I didn’t check the label. We're both at fault.”

Kahi sighed deeply and put an enormous amount of food on leeteuk’s plate.

“did you by chance say something hurtful to her?” he asked her suddenly, studying her facial expression. “cos taeyeon might be stubborn but she really is afraid to be all alone at night. So she could have stayed here until this morning.”

“I told her that if I were her, I wouldn’t have done the same mistake.” Kahi told him. “and she’s a close friend of yours and she forgot to do that.”

Leeteuk stared at her for a couple of minutes and sighed. “oh Kahi. You’re older than her, you should have been more understanding. You shouldn’t have blamed her entirely for a single thing.”

“she must learn still.” Kahi defended herself.

“and you’re getting stubborn too.” Leeteuk replied. “you might have made her cry.”

“so its now my fault for making her leave?” kahi snapped. “she could have you killed of it was any medicine!”

“I’m not saying that you’re wrong, okay?” leeteuk sipped his coffee, while looking at Kahi directly at the eyes. “loosen up, Kahi. I’m completely fine.”

Kahi let out a deep sigh again but eventually agreed.

“lucky something didn’t happen or else I would have scared her to death.” She blurted.

Leeteuk smiled and quickly shove up food to his mouth.

“are you going somewhere?” kahi asked wondering.

Leeteuk nodded. “I left the car at the pharmacy last night.” He said, after swallowing. “and I’ll go check Taeng too.”

Kahi’s mouth dropped.

“hey, we don’t even know if she was home safe.” Leeteuk assured her. “I’m gonna blame myself if something happened to her.”

After eating, Leeteuk got up and arranged the plates he used. “thanks for the meal, Ji Young. Really appreciate it. I’ll wash the dishes later okay? see you.”

“she’s really something isn’t she?” Kahi called, as leeteuk headed upstairs to get dressed.

 

TAEYEON’S POV

I got home almost four in the morning. Lucky there was a cab roaming around the place last night. The driver must have been wondering on my sullen expression. I can’t help being sad. Its because I’ve done something wrong. I learned from that mistake now. I’m just in my twenties, I have a load to learn about life. Sunny, my roommate, saw me in grave look upon returning to the dorm. I was amazed that she was up really early. So it was the time that I told her what happened and it really made me cry. Sunny was so understanding that she stayed up until I finished telling her what happened. I didn’t tell her what happened before that though, the scene where oppa confessed his feelings towards me, because it’s too private. It made me so sad because I did him wrong. Is he awake right now? The medicine must have been inactive on its effect now cos its been hours.

unni, aren’t you eating breakfast?”

Yuri saw me arranging the blanket I used for sleeping. I only slept five hours. I really can’t sleep well.

“I’m not that hungry.” I replied, looking at the floor.

“you should be eating.” The black pearl of snsd said, positioning herself beside me. “hey sunny told me what happened. Its okay.”

Sunny! Gosh, she’s too noisy!

Tears start to well in my eyes.

“yah, don’t cry!” Yuri said, messing my hair. “you’ll look like you’ve been stung by a bee!”

“I can’t help it.” I said back, looking at the ceiling to stop the tears from falling. “it really was emotional you know.”

oppa understands. You’ll see.” Yuri winked, helping me to get up. “now eat breakfast, its getting cold.”

“I gotta go.” I told her. “leeteuk ssi left his car near the pharmacy. i have to go and check if its still there. I’ll call Siwon oppa to get it too.”

Yuri  raised her eyebrows. “then eat a little before you go, ok?”

“fine… araso.” I sighed.

 

SEOUL PHARMACY 11:00 am

Leeteuk was happy upon seeing the car. Tires check, windows check, contents inside check, nothing happened. He would be devastated if something goes wrong with the car because he spent a lot of money for it. hard earned money. Its super junior’s continuing success after all, that helped him buy some stuff for himself and for his family back in the province.

 

Leeteuk checked again his car one more time. No parking tickets, car is totally safe. Ready to go taeyeon’s dorm to see if she has gone home.

“I hope Taeyeon’s home.” He thought, after wiping some non existent dust on the window.

leeteuk checked the car again for the last time. Spotting dirty stuff on whites was his favorite thing to do. and since the car was a big white object, he was more obsessed towards it.

“needs a little cleaning.” He sighed.

Upon looking at the headlights, leeteuk saw a petite girl in a frilly floral dress running to his direction. He squinted. It was a beautiful sight. She seemed as if she was in a hurry.

Leeteuk smiled.

“why are you in a hurry?” he asked her.

Taeyeon halted and gasped.

“am I seeing a ghost?” she blurted.

“do I look like I died?” leeteuk laughed inching towards her. “you must be sick, let me check your temperature.”

“its really you!” taeyeon said, almost shouting.

yah, lower down your voice.” Leeteuk said, bewildered. He touched her forehead with his palm. “I guess you don’t have any fever.”

Leeteuk stared at her from head to foot.

“but you look like you’re hallucinating." he said. "actually a  pretty girl hallucinating. It seems that you slept a lit--- “

 He didn’t expect Taeyeon throwing her arms around his waist.

“are you, are you okay?” he asked her, in a state of shock.

“I’m really sorry for giving you a wrong pill, oppa.” Taeyeon mumbled. “its my fault!”

She was crying.

“hey, are you crying?” leeteuk asked while returning the favor. He tried to look at her but she buried her face on his chest.

“I’m really sorry, oppa.” Taeyeon repeated her words. “I could have killed you.”

Leeteuk laughed. “I’m fine, Taeng. I’m completely well.”

“cos its just a sleeping pill!” taeyeon choked. “what happens if its any other medicine?!”

Leeteuk couldn’t really hold back his smile.

“hey, you shouldn’t blame yourself too much.” He assured her. “how about you? I am so worried, what time did you get home?”

“I’m--  I’m  okay, I  got home at four.” Taeyeon sobbed.

“sorry if I didn’t drive you home.” He whispered, very apologetic.

“it was my fault you were unable to do so.” Taeyeon defended him.

Leeteuk smiled again.

“I’m supposed to visit you today to see if you’re okay. Its good that you are.”

He the back of her hair as Taeyeon tightened her embrace.

 “gosh you have strong arms.”

Taeyeon hit him from the back.

“what? It feels nice.” Leeteuk told her.

Yah, you shouldn’t make your girlfriend cry!” an old man shouted as he passed by the two. Leeteuk’s eyes widened in surprise while taeyeon stayed on her position, burying her face.

"as if." taeyeon hissed.

“Don’t worry sir, I’ll make it up on her.” leeteuk joked, laughing.

He looked at taeyeon. “hey taeng, do me a favor.”

“anything.” Said the snsd leader. “what is it?”

“let’s eat.” Leeteuk replied. “My treat.”

:)