CHAPTER 7

A dorky Heart

SM BUILDING 1:45 pm

“what message do you want to tell your sunbaes on behalf of snsd?”

Taeyeon blinked. That was a quick ambush. Maybe the SM staff wanted her to tell something for her oppas because a lot of cameras were clicking ahead, taking pictures of the SM family who went to celebrate with Super Junior. Even leeteuk and kahi’s We Got Married staff were present.  All of them, Shinee, f(x), Boa, Trax, Changmin and Yunho were gathered in a corner to party with the biggest most successful boy group.

 

Taeyeon looked at the people waiting for her message and took in few deep breaths. then she looked at Super Junior who were sitting in a long white and gold linen table, smiling at her. Is my dress alright? She thought, before trying to say a word. She was wearing a pink tube dress with a huge black belt, which Tiffany pick for her.

“I would like to say toast to our sunbaes, Super Junior, for being an outstanding model to everyone in the SM family.” She said, raising a glass of white wine. The rest followed her immediately. “your perseverance and dedication to your group is very remarkable and influential. I hope every one of us will follow your footsteps. Toast to Super Junior. Many more albums to come. Kamsamnida.”

kamsamnida.” All the Super Junior members said, raising their glasses. Taeyeon’s face cringed upon drinking the bitter wine and seeing that the cameras were still on her, she lowered her head and hid behind Yuri, who was laughing.

“I saw it.” The black pearl of snsd teased. Taeyeon, who was nicknamed Byeontae, because of her fondness of slapping other people’s behinds, hit Yuri in the same area.

Yah, quit playing around, cameras are on us.” Jessica hissed through her pearly whites that she proudly showed on the photographers.

“hey, get a life.” Yuri snapped, embracing the ice princess on the back. Jessica rolled her eyes but continued to smile for photo op.

-----------------------------------------

Leeteuk was very happy for the day. Fans from all over the world celebrated the anniversary with them, and the SM family, who even published on newspaper their message for the super junior members. The leader, who was wearing a casual light blue tee and white pants with sneakers, was walking along the SM building’s corridor to pick up his cell phone that he left on his locker during their fan meeting and celebration. I am really getting old he thought, that even a valuable item like a cell phone can be forgotten. All the members were already in their dormitory, tired but clearly showing signs of happiness and contentment for the day. Leeteuk was slight disappointed that no member accompanied him to pick up his phone but he understood well that they’re tired. Even heechul who belongs to the same age as him scolded him like a very exhausted ahjusshi. Besides he was currently sleeping at another place.

 

Leeteuk finally saw his locker situated in the 3rd floor. All the lockers of the SM artists were outside the rooms, so that fan mails and gifts can be easily placed.

“ah, there you are.” He said as he fumbled for his cell phone in the dark. He was practically squinting, for he forgot to ask for a flashlight.

Leeteuk checked his phone messages before putting the mobile on his pocket. Only 2 messages from Kahi, indicating that she will be home before 12. It was already midnight, leeteuk guessed that she’s already home. He replied on her, telling the girl leader that he will be late. Or should he be late? He’s dead tired too. The We Got Married house was not that far, only a 30 minute drive. Leeteuk thought for a message while walking, slightly massaging his temples. He was quite tired and felt dizzy. Clearly he had only hours of sleep. His eyes were blurring too. Maybe from lack of sleep? Or he was getting old that he will be in need of specs?

oppa?”

Leeteuk froze. He thought some girl’s voice was calling him. It can’t be. He only knew that the only people left in the building were the security guards and some male janitors. He shook his head, maybe it’s because he’s dizzy that he’s hallucinating.

oppa!”

The voice was getting louder. Leeteuk kept looking at his cell phone to distract himself and to continue typing his message for Kahi.

“leeteuk ssi?”

Okay, I am hallucinating and I’m out of my mind, Leeteuk thought. He was practically messing up with words on his cellphone. He started walking fast, it was so dark that he was almost stumbling through the floor tiles.

 

The footsteps followed him too. Leeteuk’s heart beat fast. He can’t think of ghosts right now. Yes, he’s fond of watching horror movies, but please not in this hour when he’s all alone, with headache, and just a cell phone on his hand. Kangin would laugh furiously at him when he found out this ghost encounter. If this is a ghost encounter. Suddenly, a cold hand pulled his shirt.

 

Leeteuk closed his eyes but the hand kept tugging his shirt. He decided that he should face the one who was tugging him, bravely. He opened his eyes and quickly turned around, flashing his phone.

“Taeng?”

“Yah, keep that phone away from me, its too bright!” Taeyeon said, shielding herself.

Leeteuk let out a relief. “oh, sorry. gosh, you scared me to death, Taeng!” he laughed, putting the phone in his pocket. he stared at her and wondered. “why are you still here?”

“I left something.” Taeyeon said sheepishly. She noticed that leeteuk was still staring at her and she knew why, she was wearing a ridiculous big grey shirt with a bear design and short white shorts.

“who are you with?” leeteuk asked.

“just me, hey, why are you here too?” Taeyeon asked, who began glancing at her watch.

“I left my phone.” Leeteuk said. Taeyeon snickered, but clasped her hand at to prevent from doing so.

“you’re still quite forgetful huh?” she said, surprised at her words. Was she talking to him? Weird!

“you sound as if I changed.” Leeteuk said, still staring at her. earlier he was squinting but he could practically see Taeyeon now.

“how do you get home?” he suddenly asked.

“I can take a cab.” Taeyeon said as they began to walk downstairs.

“I’ll drive you home.” Leeteuk offered. He saw Taeyeon shaking her head.

“its fine.” The snsd leader said, glancing at her watch again. Leeteuk knew that Taeyeon likes looking at the time.

Leeteuk sighed. “I can’t let you take a cab dressing like that.” He said looking at her outfit. “and besides its 12 in the midnight, its too dangerous.”

“I can handle myself.” The dorky ahjumma’s stubbornness struck again.

“no.” leeteuk said.

“yes, I can go whenever and wherever I want to, no one’s stopping me.” Taeyeon said, walking fast to avoid him. Leeteuk followed.

“and someone’s waiting for you, you should go also.” She said with a hint of disappointment from her voice. She was referring to Kahi, the leader who can do anything.

“Taeng.”

“I’m fine, like what I said, I can handle myself.” Taeyeon walked faster but leeteuk got hold of her hand. She froze.

“I’m taking you home, araso?” Leeteuk’s voice sounded very authoritative and taeyeon knew that he was very serious. She was speechless. Either that she was surprised at the voice or his hand firmly touching hers. She did not know in her consciousness that she nodded.

“good girl.” Leeteuk said, leading her outside.

 

Taeyeon’s POV

Rendezvous? We were like this a couple of months ago when we used to be paired for the SM town concerts. Here I am again sitting at the driver seat of his car. We were practically silent for a couple of minutes now, saved only by the music he was listening to. I don’t know if I should talk or not. I really missed talking to this guy. But somehow what I did months ago was very embarrassing and childish. And he was a changed person. More authoritative I guess? Really effective. I was practically attracted to it. it makes me crazy.

“have you eaten?” leeteuk oppa asked me as he stirred the wheel.

ne.” I said, looking outside. I saw at the corner of my eye that oppa was staring at my clothes. Then he reached for something at the back. It was his white jacket.

He placed the jacket on my thighs. “too short.” He complained. I laughed, as if I wasn’t wearing this kind of stuff all through out my performances.

“makes me flexible.” I commented. I noticed I was being sarcastic again and the unchanged expression on his face as he drive did the trick.

“I like your hair.” He said suddenly, changing the subject. “what have you done with it?”

“nothing, I just clipped it.” I replied, blushing. I hope he didn’t notice, he was too random.

“oh.” He said, stirring the wheel again. “I like it just flowing like that with a clip. Or with a ponytail.”

“really?” I asked smiling. I didn’t notice that I was twirling the ends of my hair, and I was surprised again on myself.

“am I kidding or what?” he smiled too.

I couldn’t hide any giggle anymore so I just laughed out loud. Leeteuk looked at me as I was a crazy person. He was probably amazed that I was replying to him. Its really been months since we last talked normally.

And we were silent again. probably because he was driving or we just couldn’t catch up on updates of each other. It took us a couple of minutes before something strange happened.

“yah, watch out on the car!” I said as leeteuk almost hit the truck  infront of us.

We almost got bumped into it and I was very alarmed. Whew, I thought I’m going to get hospitalized or what. What’s wrong with him anyway? I stared at leeteuk to see what he was doing. He was expressionless but squinting.

Oppa decided to park the car near a drug store.

“I’m sorry, are you alright?” he asked me. Leeteuk got this really weird habit of asking a person first before asking himself if he was okay.

“yes, lucky I have my seatbelt on.” I grinned sarcastically. He really looked apologetic. “hey, its okay, I’m not hurt. Are you?”

“I think I’m not okay.” He said, rubbing his temples. Oh no, his migraine attack again? last time he had it was when they were performing and he collapsed. Luckily, it was after they danced.

“what do you want me to get you?” I asked, worried. I was referring to him the drug store which miraculously the place where he parked the car. Some form of divine intervention I guess. Or we’ll both have ourselves hospitalized.

“can you get me some pain reliever?” he suggested, resting his head on the stirring wheel.

“okay, can you hold on?” I asked him. He nodded. “because you cannot drive in a condition like that.”

“sorry.”

“well we have no choice, are we?” I said and headed outside.

I briskly walked inside the drug store and strangely had to wake up a sleeping old lady who turned out to be the pharmacist. She grunted, as if I had disturbed her sleeping. I asked for a pain reliever, in which she asked twice before giving a medicine to me. Then she eyed me suspiciously, head to foot. I hope she didn’t recognize me.

“do you use to dance on variety shows?” she was referring to the variety shows that old people use to watch, where dancers dance to trot music, obviously old songs played in techno.

I let out a relief. “oh, yeah, you should come there.” I lied as I gave out a cash. Leeteuk forgot to hand out some money.

“great, I’ll ask my granddaughter to come with me.” She grinned, giving the receipt. I nodded, bowed and made my exit.

I told leeteuk, who was now leaning in his driving seat to go out for some fresh air. Lazily, he followed me and we walked to find a park nearby. I didn’t know that there’s a mini park here in a street in seoul. It has a play ground, swings, a lot of sand. We took our sit on the stairs before the play ground.

“gosh I forgot to buy water!” I gasped and apologetically looked at leeteuk who was rubbing his forehead.

“I can take this without water.” He assured me. He didn’t bother to see the medicine I gave him. Looks like he trusted me a lot.

“thank you .” he said as he swallowed the pill.

We were silent again for a couple of minutes. Leeteuk eyed the surroundings, then placed his arms on himself, he was cold. I felt sorry for him. I was wearing his jacket and yet I was just there staring at him.

“don’t mind returning the jacket to me.” Leeteuk told me as if reading my thoughts.

“nah, why would I return it to you?” I snapped at him. He laughed.

Leeteuk took out his phone and began typing, with another arm embracing himself.

“you forgot to text her?” I asked. He nodded, while looking at the sky, thinking of words.

“she must have been worried.” I said, peeking. 5 missed calls from Park Kahi. They must have become really close. Leeteuk looked at me and raised an eyebrow.

“why are you viewing other people’s phone?” he asked me.

“is that bad?” I asked, raising an eyebrow too. “gosh, its only for a television show. She’s acting as if its true.”

“true what?” leeteuk asked.

“like you’re a real husband.” I replied, easing the creases of my shorts. I stretched my feet, almost touching the sand.

“you’ll get cold.” He reminded me. I stretched my legs more, this time, touching the sand. Leeteuk sighed and began typing again.

“hey, were almost near to your dorm right?” he asked. “like about 10 minutes? Maybe you can text yoona so that she can fetch you.”

“you can’t wake up a tired Yoona.” I corrected him, rolling my eyes. “I’ll just wait til you get better. Til that medicine takes effect.”

“okay, give me 15 minutes.” Leeteuk said, resting his head on his knees. He looked at me and stared, blinking. Dumbfounded, I stared at him too, making an eye contact.

He smiled. “you know what, I missed you.” He said, staring at me. “I was really hoping I can talk to you again, after what happened.”

“oh, about that.” I said, scratching my head. “well, what I really meant was, its for our group’s sake, you know.”

“so you’re just letting the company took hold of our friendship?” he asked me, not avoiding eye contact.

I sighed. “leeteuk ssi, were both leaders. We can’t have our members get entangled on us.”

“were not doing anything. Can’t you fight for that?” he asked me. I did not know what to say. He’s got a point. I began to think about the consequences of my actions more.

“unless you’re doing that because-----“

“because of what?” I continued, while playing at the sand.

“to stop yourself from feeling something towards me.” Leeteuk said, trying to catch my gaze.

I stopped playing. I didn’t know whether I should agree or disagree, to nod or to laugh. What am I feeling for him anyway?

“so you’re thinking that I’m liking you?” I replied, scaring him. “no way.”

“I just thought we—“

“don’t say it as if we both have the same feeling.” I snapped, laughing at myself.

“oh.”

“so you like me?” I asked him, half jokingly. I even stared at him, thinking that he’ll look away but he didn’t. the same piercing stare that he had was making me weak. I was wondering at myself for asking a question.

“I like you, yes.” He answered me. "irrevocably."

I touched my heart and find itself beating rapidly. I did not know what to say.

“Taeng.”

Should I laugh?should I just smile or say thank you? Oh no, otokke? This is like worse than being nominated for an award.

“Taeng?”

Oh my. So he really did like me. What should I do?if I say thank you, is that appropriate enough?
“Taeng.” Leeteuk said handing the medicine to me. I was shocked. Why would he give me such thing? Maybe he thought I was getting a headache and I need a pain reliever.

“the lady at the pharmacy gave you a sleeping pill.” He said, reading my thoughts. “Looks like she didn’t hear you correctly.”

“oh no, mianhe oppa!” I reread the medicine I gave to him. It was truly a sleeping pill, a 500 mg sleeping pill! He trusted me enough that he took it without reading the contents. This will left him…

“asleep.” I said out loud, staring at leeteuk who in a same sitting position, was now drifting away in his dreams.