Chapter 8

Love The Way You Lie

Chapter 8

 

As Jiyong watched his father’s casket lower six feet below the ground, tears shed down his eyes to the point where he couldn’t see any more. Jiyong blinked the tears away. His eyes looked up to the person in across from him.

 

Hyuna’s eyes looked up and met those tearful ones of Jiyong’s. Hers were also full of tears. She saw pain in those eyes but there was another thing she saw… emptiness. She kept a straight face as their gazes continued. Neither one of them looked away from each other until Hyuna finally decided she couldn’t look into those sad eyes any longer.

 

Jiyong picked up the soil in-between his palm and slowly let it slip through his fingers and onto the casket. He stood up to help his mother from the wheelchair. She held onto him with all her strength. Her heart broke knowing that this would be her husband’s resting place. He was no longer with them. Saying goodbye was hard.

 

As family members and friends began leaving one by one, Seungsung and Jung-Hwa stayed behind with Hyuna, Sohyun and Jihoon. Both Seungsung and Jung-Hwa shed tears for the loss of their friend. Sohyun rested her head on Jihoon’s arms as they stared down at the tombstone.

 

Again, Hyuna and Jiyong’s eyes lingered towards one another. Neither one of them knew what the other was thinking at the moment. Though they searched in each other’s eyes they could not find a message.

 

“—Hyuna?”

 

Hyuna broke from her long stare with Jiyong. She looked to her right where she saw Jihoon and Sohyun looking at her. Her eyes gave another look at Jiyong who only turned away once Hyuna looked back at him.

 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t hear you,” Hyuna admitted. “What was it that you said?”

 

“Sohyun and I were just heading back,” Jihoon said. “Did you want to head back with us?”

 

“Of course,” Hyuna said. She looked to her father with a thin smile. “I’ll see you later, father.”

 

Seungsung nodded his head in approval, waving goodbye to his children.

 

Without another word, the three of them walked away with Jiyong watching on as the wind blew back at Hyuna’s hair. Her body getting smaller and smaller with every step she took away from him. There was no denying how he felt, no matter how many times he said he’d let her go. His eyes burned with fire when he saw the way Jihoon looked at her. How could she not notice? Or maybe she did.

 

Returning home that evening, Jiyong wandered the mansion lost in his thoughts and memories. If there was anything he needed most now, it was his father. When he left, he left Jiyong with a huge responsibility. One, he felt he wasn’t ready for. He had support but the real support he had was gone.

 

With his back to the wall, Jiyong slid down until he hit the floor. These days seemed so tiring and lonely. They were darker and gloomier now. Jiyong sighed, resting his head onto his arms and knees. He looked out to the grey skies with sadness in his eyes. It won’t last forever.

 

“Jiyong?” Eunju’s voice echoed from the end of the hall.

 

Jiyong turned his head to see his mother’s figure growing closer. He stood up from his spot and greeted her.

 

“Mom, is something wrong?” Jiyong asked worriedly when he saw Eunju. She should’ve been resting, not walking around.

 

“We need to talk.”

 

Eunju couldn’t look at his son. She never wanted to force him into something he didn’t want to do and she would never force Jiyong. Everything she told him was because Hyun Suk left these words for her to tell if one day he wasn’t here.

 

She sat on the edge of her bed, taking Jiyong’s hands into hers. Jiyong settled himself onto the ground kneeling beside her. As he looked into her eyes, all he could see was how hurt and sad she was. He couldn’t look away. If anything he wished he could make all the pain go away for the both of them.

 

“You said we needed to talk,” Jiyong spoke up.

 

Eunju sighed, patting the back of her son’s hand. She smiled down at him. “Your father left you a letter, I’m sure you’ve read it.” Jiyong nodded and his mother continued. “Everything in that letter, was your father’s wish for you but it wasn’t all he wanted for you. He knew that time and life was precious and that it could all end. What I’m telling you is, you don’t need to fulfill his wish. Fulfill your own is what he is really trying to tell you.”

 

Jiyong shook his head. “But I want to.”

 

“Do you really?”

 

Jiyong nodded sure of what he wanted to do. He knew he wanted to make his father proud. He never wanted to let him down.

 

“We’ve never told you this but… your father and I were waiting until we thought you were ready. We chose someone who would stay by your side forever.”

 

Jiyong’s eyes dilated at the information spilling out. “W—who?”

 

“Her name is Kim Hyuna.”

 

Kim Hyuna.

 

Jiyong tore his hands away from Eunju. He crawled back unable to express any kind of emotion right now. His head was filling up with the memories of his accident. With the memories of Hyeona. He couldn’t marry Hyuna. He just couldn’t.

 

“Jiyong, are you alright?”

 

“No, I’m not.”

 

Eunju tried to touch Jiyong, but he crawled back further.

 

“Do you know who you just chose?” Jiyong asked. “Kim Hyuna was the reason why I was in that coma for two years, mother.”

 

Eunju was taken back by this news. She has never seen her son so angry and hurt before.

 

“Whatever happened between you two in the past—”

 

“It will not be forgotten.”

 

“Hyuna, I believe, is a person with a good heart,” Eunju said. “She was raised in a good wealthy family. Her parents have been close friends of your father and I for over a year now.”

 

“A year?” Jiyong asked.

 

“We’ve talked about it,” Eunju said looking down. “With Seungsung and Jung-Hwa of course. They haven’t told Hyuna yet.”

 

“An arranged marriage?”

 

Eunju nodded her head.

 

Jiyong turned his back to his mother. He could hear her quiet cries. He couldn’t stand to hear her cry so he rushed to her side, embracing her with his warmth.

 

Though Jiyong didn’t like the idea of marrying Hyuna, he didn’t deny declining it either. Like he said, if Hyuna hated him that much, he’d punish them both by binding them together. Because of what he was hearing now, Jiyong believed Hyuna lied to him even more. Then, he asked Hyeona of her dreams and life but never received an answer. It was all a lie. He really knew nothing of her all except he loved her.

 

***

 

What am I doing here?

 

How come I’m here?

 

Hyeona wobbled down the empty street with a bottle in hand. She wiped away the excess dripping from the corner of her lips with the sleeve of her red sweater. The next thing she knew, she was lying on the ground and like a child she laughed pointing at the stars.

 

Why am I the one left behind?

 

Who cares?

 

Drowiness dawned over her mind. She fell asleep in the middle of the road. The night was cold and her body began shivering. It was quite stupid of her, she knew better than that but there was a side to her that just didn’t care right now. She’s been in many dangerous situations before and survived them all. It’s what Hyeona liked to believe. She believed that she was a survivor.

 

“Hyeona!”

 

Hyeona tossed and turned hearing her name. She believed that this was just a dream but the voice kept getting louder and louder. It was getting to the point where it drove her crazy. She groaned, throwing her fists onto the pavement.

 

Who the hell…

 

Her eyes opened when she felt a pair of hands on her shoulders shaking her. She saw another face she hoped to never see again.

 

“I’ve found you!” Choong-Min cried with happiness. He threw his arms around Hyeona and hugged her. “I’m so glad you’re ok.”

 

Hyeona was disgusted. She felt her skin crawl at this man’s touch. She harshly pushed her stepfather away. Choong-Min looked at her with shock written all over his face.

 

“Why are you looking for me?” Hyeona asked. “I told you I wasn’t coming back.”

 

“Please let’s go home, Hyeona,” Choong-Min said. “We can—”

 

Hyeona, though drunk could still see and think. “I’m not going home. I’m not going back to that place. It only reminds me of how miserable my life is.”

 

Choong-Min grabbed Hyeona by the arm in an attempt to get her up. Hyeona pushed the man away from her, getting up on her own. She was stumbling a little but was still able to keep herself up.

 

“This isn’t what your mother would’ve wanted for you,” Choong-Min said hoping to pull a heartstring. “Please come home, Hyeona.”

 

Hyeona let out a hysterical laugh. Maybe due to the alcohol she found his words amusing. After she felt that the words were no longer in effect, Hyeona threw on a dangerous look. “Trust me, I didn’t want this for myself either.” Hyeona took another sip of the bottle in her hand.

 

“Hyeona, stop!” Choong-Min said.

 

“What’s it to you?” Hyeona said annoyed. “You’re not my real father. You don’t get to tell me what to do.”

 

“I care about you Hyeona. I made a promise to your mother that I would never let anything happen to you.”

 

Hyeona just glared at him. There was fire in her eyes. Why wouldn’t this man give up on her?

 

You’re a liar.

 

You don’t care about me.

 

I’m sorry but you’re breaking your promise.

 

Choong-Min reached out to Hyeona but Hyeona began screaming.

 

“Help!” Hyeona cried. “Please, please help me!”

 

Choong-Min looked around frantically. He wasn’t trying to do anything. He just wanted to take his daughter home. Even though Hyeona wasn’t his biological daughter, he raised her as his own.

 

While Choong-Min was distracted, Hyeona threw the bottle over his head. The collision from the bottle and Choong-Min’s head was enough for the bottle to shatter and break. Hyeona saw his body fall to the ground. He wasn’t out cold or anything but she can hear him groan in pain. Taking the opportunity, Hyeona ran off, not looking back even once.

 

A/N: Quick update. I'm running out to dinner right now so as usual, not edited. May add more on later.