Chapter 22

Love The Way You Lie

Chapter 22

 

“You did what?” Sohyun asked a bit too loudly.

 

“I’ve paid off your father’s hospital debt,” Jung-Hwa began, “and with whatever I had left over I used it to pay back Jinyoung. That should buy us time to make up for the rest.” She took a sip of the glass of wine in her hand as if nothing ever happened and everything was fine.

 

“Hyeona didn’t ask for anything in return?”

 

Jung-Hwa shook her head. “All she asked is that she meets her father in person once he gets better. Now isn’t that a good daughter?”

 

Sohyun slumped down onto the sofa with her arms crossed against her chest. Something wasn’t right. She knew her mother was lying. “Where do you think Hyeona got all that money from?”

 

Jung-Hwa shot her a look. “Does it matter?”

 

“Yes, someone like her can’t possibly have that much money, mom. I just don’t want you to get involved in something else.”

 

“She got us the money we need to help your father. That’s all that should matter, Sohyun. What’s important is that we can’t let Hyuna know she has a twin sister. Hyeona told me she didn’t want Hyuna to know because Seungsung didn’t either. So why would we be the ones to break it to her?”

 

“But I can’t help but worry!” Sohyun snapped. “Just because dad’s expenses are paid for doesn’t mean that he’ll be ok! You act like it’s fine but this started with you, remember? He’s in the hospital because of you! Something tells me you’re lying, something much more was asked for, wasn’t there? Otherwise why did you call Hyuna? You lied to her. My father never woke up. You set Hyuna up for the money, didn’t you?”

 

“What?”

 

The familiar voice caught both their attentions. Sohyun stood up immediately, turning around to face the person they were speaking of.

 

Jung-Hwa’s eyes widened. She didn’t know how long Hyuna had been there and how much she had heard.

 

“Is it true?” Hyuna asked. “You knew my father never woke up but you called me to meet you. You set me up to make it look as if I stole money from my own husband to help my father.”

 

“So what if I did?” Jung-Hwa said. There was relief in her expression. Hyuna didn’t hear about Hyeona.

 

Hyuna spoke through gritted teeth, “You can hurt me, Jung-Hwa, that’s fine but you’ve hurt the man who loves you more than anything. How could you? How do you sleep at night knowing he’s lying in the hospital because you put him there?!”

 

“Enough!” Jung-Hwa shouted. “I was there with him and now everyday in that hospital. You were nowhere. You weren’t there for him. Don’t try and act all innocent now. You’re as much to blame as me.”

 

“I could never do what you did to the person I love. I’m not to blame at all because if I was there at the time, my father would never be in this condition. I would never allow for it to happen. Now because of your untrue words, I can’t even look my husband in the eyes because he hates me.” Hyuna let her tears fall as she stared at the ground beneath her feet. A bitter smile ran across her lips. “I guess we weren’t meant to be. I always knew it wasn’t me. Don’t worry, Jung-Hwa, when my father wakes, I won’t tell him about any of this. You will.”

 

There was disappointment in Hyuna’s expression and both Jung-Hwa and Sohyun caught it as she quickly looked up at them before making her way out of the place she couldn’t call home at the moment. It didn’t feel like home anymore.

 

“You think you’re so tough Hyuna? Huh? I’m not telling him anything! Do you hear me? You think I’m afraid?”

 

“Enough, mom!” Sohyun screamed. “You’ve done enough.”

 

“What’s wrong with you?” Jung-Hwa scoffed.

 

“I think you should be asking yourself that question.” With that being said, Sohyun left her mother behind.

 

***

 

The night was cold but Hyuna felt numb to everything but the emotions raging inside her. She sobbed quietly in the backseat of the cab as the driver drove silently. There was only one place for her to go. Her heart and mind knew where she needed to be most and that was with her father.

 

Entering the hospital room, Hyuna sat beside Seungsung, taking his hand into hers. She sobbed by his side.

 

“I’m sorry I couldn’t be there for you but I’m here now,” Hyuna cried. “I don’t know what to do anymore. I’m hurting but you’re hurting more. Please wake up soon.”

 

The sound of Hyuna’s ringtone went off. She slowly retrieved her phone from her purse. Her heart sunk when she saw the name on the caller I.D.

 

I’m sorry.

 

Hyuna ended the call. She bit her lip from letting out a sob. The calls wouldn’t stop. She sat there silently watching the phone light up with his name. Her eyes teared up and it wouldn’t stop. He wouldn’t stop.

 

Maybe you shouldn’t come back to me.

 

I’m tired of being so sad. I’m tired of getting so mad.

 

With her phone in her hand, shakily, Hyuna turned it off. No matter how many times Jiyong calls, she won’t answer. There’s nothing more to say.

 

***

 

Since the incident that day, Jiyong hasn’t seen or heard from his wife. He remembered the argument vividly and the tears in Hyuna’s eyes but most of all the words she spoke. Her words didn’t hurt as much as the words he let slip through his lips.

 

Jiyong ran his fingers through his blonde locks in frustration and guilt. Both were pricking at him like a rose’s thorn. He felt that he shouldn’t have to feel sorry or guilty but at the same time he wanted to apologize and just hold his wife in his arms. Jiyong knew better though. If he were to lay eyes on Hyuna now, the anger would return and he’d say regretful things.

 

When the sun set down, there was still no return of Hyuna to the Kwon mansion. No one has heard from her and she didn’t answer anyone’s calls.

 

Another day passed and Jiyong still hasn’t heard from his wife. His calls for Hyuna became desperate. He waited day and night for her return but one day turned into two and two turned into three.

 

Rushing out of his office, Jiyong stopped when he saw his mother standing in front of the door. She looked rather surprised yet let her lips curl into a soft smile.

 

“You seem frustrated,” Eunju commented.

 

“Have you seen Hyuna?” Jiyong asked.

 

“No,” Eunju said. “I thought she was with you.” Jiyong shook his head. “She’s not?”

 

“She hasn’t been home for days now.”

Eunju saw the expression unfolding on Jiyong’s face. The expression of guilt and hurt. “Did you two argue again?”

 

Jiyong looked down immediately and it gave Eunju the answer she asked for. She shook her head slightly and placed a warm hand onto Jiyong’s cheek caressing it. Jiyong looked up at the touch but his eyes were looking behind his mother. He stepped away when he saw Teddy drawing near them.

 

“Miss Hyuna is packing her belongings,” Teddy said.

 

Three days since he last saw her. Jiyong stepped away from his mother and brushed past Teddy heading to his room. He was afraid and anxious to see Hyuna after all this time but they needed to speak to each other. Where would she leave him to?

 

Inside their shared bedroom, Jiyong saw Hyuna packing a suitcase with her belongings. He walked over and pushed the suitcase aside.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?”

 

Without giving Jiyong a look, Hyuna reached for the suitcase and pulled it back. “I’m leaving you.”

 

A scoff left Jiyong’s mouth. “I’m not wealthy enough to satisfy your greedy hands?”

 

“Yes,” Hyuna coldly replied. “Is that what you want to hear?”

 

Jiyong flipped the suitcase over and let the contents inside fall out onto the bed. He threw the suitcase onto the floor creating a loud thud inside the room.

 

Hyuna stepped back horrified by the sudden outburst. Her trembling eyes looked up to her husband’s angry stare. The first tear fell then the second and Hyuna tore her eyes away from her husband’s. She could feel her heart clenching tightly in her chest as she fought back a pained sob. Her legs move toward the door of their bedroom slowly.

 

“Hyuna—”

 

Hyuna made her way out the door before Jiyong could finish what he had to say. She ran down the stairs and from behind she could hear Jiyong’s roaring footsteps following her. Her body turned back quickly but she didn’t stop from leaving. With every step Jiyong took towards her, Hyuna took one back.

 

“Hyuna, come here—” He reached out for her but Hyuna stepped away.

 

“Don’t touch me,” Hyuna weakly said. “You’ve done and said enough. Let me go so I won’t be a burden to your family anymore. This is me letting you go. Please let me go.”

 

Jiyong stormed towards Hyuna, gripping onto her arms harshly. He was seething as his eyes glared down at her pained expression. Without a care, Jiyong, pulled Hyuna along with him as she struggled against him.

 

“Stop!” Hyuna cried. “Let go of me!”

 

“Am I interrupting?”

 

At the sound of the voice, both Jiyong and Hyuna looked over their shoulders. Standing in the center of the archway was a tall, blonde man glaring at them but most of all his eyes were lurking at Hyuna.

 

Jiyong’s hands slowly released Hyuna.

 

“Jaejoong,” Jiyong said.

 

“Was I?” Jaejoong asked.

 

“Not at all,” Jiyong said. “Why wasn’t I informed of your company?”

 

Jaejoong’s eyes finally left Hyuna’s figure. He looked to Jiyong and chuckled. “Your mother invited me for dinner. I couldn’t refuse an invitation from my aunt. That would be rude, wouldn’t it? Why? You’re not happy to see me?”

 

“Of course not. I just wasn’t aware that I’d have company for dinner tonight.” Jiyong noticed Jaejoong’s eyes trailing back to Hyuna again. “Jaejoong, this is my wife Hyuna. Hyuna, this is my cousin Jaejoong.”

 

Hyuna bowed politely but she wasn’t oblivious to the stare she was receiving from the stranger standing in front of her.

 

“Ah!” Eunju’s voice echoed. “Jaejoong, I’m glad you accepted my invitation. It’s been so long since we’ve seen you.” She reached up to hug him.

 

A smug smile curved on Jaejoong’s lips. “I’m also very glad to be here.” If only Eunju knew the meaning behind his words. His eyes again went to Hyuna who turned away.

 

“Dinner is being prepared, come on,” Eunju said guiding all three of them to the dinner table. “I had only the best prepared for tonight for our special guest.”

 

“Thank you, Aunt Eunju, you’re much too kind to me,” Jaejoong said. “I don’t even visit as often yet you treat me so kindly.”

 

“Then you should visit more often,” Eunju said taking her seat at the end of the table.

 

Jaejoong made his way around to the opposite seat of Jiyong across the table. Sitting next to him was none other than the beauty who escaped his grasp. He waited for an opportunity to make a move and the opportunity came when Hyuna innocently reached for a piece of sashimi. He took advantage and reached for the same one.

 

“My apologies,” Jaejoong said. He placed the piece onto Hyuna’s plate. Hyuna sat back trying to hide her discomfort and he could see it in her eyes. “That’s a beautiful ring.”

 

“Eh?” Hyuna said not hearing what he said.

 

“The ring on your finger,” Jaejoong said. “It’s beautiful.”

 

“Thank you,” Jiyong said, speaking for Hyuna.

 

“May I?” Jaejoong asked looking at Hyuna.

 

Hyuna hesitantly reached her hand towards Jaejoong’s. He took her hand and examined the ring but all he really wanted was to feel the touch of her skin once more.

 

Jiyong pulled Hyuna’s hand away with a gentle grip. He could sense that his wife wasn’t comfortable and Jaejoong wasn’t at all interested in the ring.

 

“Please keep your hands off my wife,” Jiyong said.

 

“Was it a problem?” Jaejoong asked innocently with a chuckle. “I apologize then.”

 

“How’s Jihyo?” Jiyong dared to mention. He saw how Jaejoong stiffened at the mention of that name.

 

Eunju was oblivious to the situation. “Oh yes, your fiancé, right? Jihyo?”

 

A smug smirk curved on Jaejoong’s lips as he took a sip of water from his glass. He set the glass down and wiped his lips with a napkin. “She’s doing fine. But because of our schedules we barely see each other hence why our wedding date is always being pushed back. No time to plan when we have busy lives.”

 

“That’s terrible but I’m glad you two love each other enough to wait it out especially for this long,” Eunju said.

 

“Right,” Jaejoong said sneaking a glance at Hyuna.

 

“Hyuna, dear, are you feeling unwell?” Eunju asked.

 

She didn’t waste any time and took this opportunity for herself. “May I please be excused?” Hyuna asked.

 

“Why sure.”

 

Hyuna removed herself from the table, quickly escaping the suffocating room.

 

Both Jiyong and Jaejoong watched Hyuna disappear. At the same time their heads turned to face each other.

 

“If you don’t mind, Aunt Eunju, may I be excused too?” Jaejoong said. “I need to use the restroom.”

 

“Go ahead. I’m sure you remember where it is.”

 

“I do.”

 

Jiyong’s hand balled into a fist. He felt his nails digging into his palm. Maybe it was the way Jaejoong looked at him before he left the dining room. There was danger in his eyes and hunger.

 

Hyuna had only made it to the staircase when she felt a hand grab her arm, spinning her around.

 

“I’m surprised to find you here of all places,” Jaejoong said. “You lied to me, Hyuna. Was I easy? Did I treat you too well?”

 

“What are you talking about?” Hyuna asked, struggling.

 

“Keep still, if you don’t want to cause a scene,” Jaejoong warned. His eyes darkened as he stared down at Hyuna’s widening eyes. “You left me pretty bad. I can’t forgive you for that now, can I?”

 

“You’re crazy, like the rest of them,” Hyuna said.

 

“Crazy?” Jaejoong laughed. “You already knew that. After everything we’ve been through, how would Jiyong feel?

 

Hyuna gathered enough strength to push Jaejoong off of her. “I don’t know what you’re saying but I’m not her. You’re mistaken if you think we’ve met before because I don’t know who the hell you are.”

 

Another laugh emitted from Jaejoong’s throat. “Oh, well I like this new look and this attitude. In such a short span of time fate brought us back together. Did you think I wouldn’t find you again? Did you think I wouldn’t be able to recognize you? Seeing you like this, it makes me miss you more. I want you more than ever now that I know you really did marry my cousin. Did you lie to me because he bored you? Come on we both remember me taking off that wedding dress.”

 

Hyuna brought her palm to Jaejoong’s cheek. Jaejoong’s head turned to the side from the force of the slap. He placed a hand onto his jaw and smiled with amusement.

 

“Leave me alone,” Hyuna said as she tried making her way up the stairs only to be stopped again by the stranger. “Let me go!”

 

“I’ll see you again soon,” Jaejoong said pressing Hyuna against his chest and trapping her between the railings. “How about a kiss goodbye until I see you again?”

 

“No!” Hyuna shouted. “Get off me!”

 

Suddenly Jaejoong’s weight shifted off of Hyuna. She held onto the railings to support herself. As she looked up she saw Jiyong pulling Jaejoong away.

 

Jiyong held his fist up in the air and Jaejoong by the collar. He wanted to hit Jaejoong so bad for trying to force himself on his wife but the daring look on Jaejoong’s face made Jiyong falter. This was family. He couldn’t even if he wanted to. He slowly brought his arm down and harshly let go of Jaejoong.

 

Jaejoong walked back smugly. He flashed a smirk to the both of them before heading back in the direction of the dining room. Once he was out of sight, Jiyong turned to Hyuna who was petrified.

 

“Hyuna, are you alright?” Jiyong asked worriedly. “Did he hurt you? Hyuna. Hyuna, answer me, please.” He was pleading with her now. His eyes begged for an answer as they met with hers. In her eyes, he saw pain and fear. He knew he was the cause of both.

 

Hyuna pushed him away. Her eyes traveled to the front door where Teddy was just entering. Her teary eyes lit up and she felt Jiyong’s eyes harden as he saw the relief on her face.

 

“Teddy…” Hyuna spoke feebly.

 

Teddy didn’t need to say a word to know that Hyuna didn’t want to be anywhere near the Kwon Mansion. He felt tension in the air as soon as he walked in. He simply nodded his head and Hyuna took a step forward but Jiyong held her hand tightly.

 

“Where are you going?” Jiyong asked.

 

“Let me go,” Hyuna said.

 

Jiyong shook his head. “I’m not letting you go.”

 

“Please.”

 

“Wherever you’re going, I’ll take you. Why? Why can’t it be me?”

 

“If you want to see me again, you’ll let me go.”

 

With those words leaving Hyuna’s lips, Jiyong’s fingers slowly released his hold on Hyuna’s hand. He watched as she hurried out the door with Teddy following behind. Jiyong looked down feeling like he had just lost the love of his life again. This was a reoccurring feeling. Like he thought over and over again, he should be use to this by now. He was the one who caused this feeling yet he kept blaming the one he loves.

 

***

 

Hyuna felt the tears rolling down her cheeks. Enough was enough but it never seemed like it was. She returned to the Kwon Mansion with the intention of leaving Jiyong. She realized that they could never truly be happy together because she isn’t the one. No matter how much she wanted to be, it wouldn’t work out ever.

 

“Father, you’re awake,” Hyuna gleamed with happiness. She took a hold of his hand tightly but gently.

 

Seungsung’s eyes stared up at her but he couldn’t speak a word. His body couldn’t move either.

 

“Father?”

 

He blinked slowly, assuring her that he could hear and understand.

 

“You’ll be okay, I promise,” Hyuna said. “I’m not going anywhere anymore. I’ll be by your side until you’re fully recovered.”

 

Seungsung’s eyes traveled to Hyuna’s wedding ring. She followed to where he was staring at before meeting his eyes again.

 

Her expression fell thinking about the man who had the other ring. “I knew it wasn’t me. I wanted it to be but we’re… broken. I know you told me to follow my heart and my heart is telling me now that I can’t be with him any longer. If I’ve disappointed you with my decision, I’m sorry. He hates me and I deserve it.”

 

Getting out the car, Hyuna was about to shut the door until Teddy’s voice stopped her.

 

“Are you really leaving our young master?”

 

“I don’t know what to do, Teddy,” Hyuna answered honestly. “I can’t stay with him but the thought of us parting breaks my heart.”

 

“Come back with me and talk it out with Jiyong. I know he’s hot headed and stubborn but I’ve never seen him love anyone as much as he loves you.”

 

That bittersweet smile curved on Hyuna’s lips as she stared down at the ground. Those words… they hurt even more.

“Talking won’t do any good. Every time we’re near each other… it’s complicated.” Hyuna stopped the tears from falling. She forced a smile as she looked to Teddy. “Goodnight Teddy.”

 

“Oh, Hyuna?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“I hope your father recovers fast.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

Hyuna watched as the car drove away and disappeared from her sight. Her head tilted back as she breathed in the night’s air. The moon hung high above and she stared at it with gleaming eyes.

 

I’m missing you more than you know but I hope you know that this is for the best, Jiyong. She brought you happiness, I bring you pain. I will never be her.

 

 

 

A/N: Long time no update. Been busy and am gonna be busy. Not edited.