Chapter 14

Love The Way You Lie

Chapter 14

 

“I won’t be hurt. I won’t cry. I’ll let you go. Cause then I’ll know you’ll really be happy.”

 

Those words kept repeating in Jiyong’s head as he struggled to wake up. He groaned, turning to the side. Why? Why were those words bothering him so much? He shot up quickly from his position. The light blinded him slightly, causing him to groan louder as he rubbed his eyes with the palm of his hands.

 

Was it all a dream?

 

His fingers came down his face and felt dry patches along his skin.

 

“What the?” Jiyong dashed to the mirror and quickly examined his face. The dry patches were just tear stains along his cheek. He slowly traced over them with his fingers.

 

I must’ve been crying again.

 

His eyes narrowed towards the empty bed in the reflection of the mirror. He already knew that by the time he woke up, Hyuna wouldn’t be there. It was nothing new.

 

He cleaned himself up quickly in order to arrive on time for breakfast. Getting dressed was no problem. His maids had already laid out his clothes for him while he was freshening up.

 

When he finished he walked down to the dining room where he saw his mother and Hyuna engaged in a conversation. He stood there for a moment, frozen between the entrance of the door. His presence was unknown despite the amount of time he spent listening to their talk.

 

Eunju looked up and stopped mid-sentence when she saw Jiyong standing at the door alone. A smile grew on her face. “Good morning, Jiyong.”

 

Jiyong didn’t miss the way Hyuna turned to look at him. When she saw him, her smile faded just a little. He acted like it didn’t mean anything and turned his attention back to his mother.

 

“Did I interrupt something?” Jiyong asked before taking the seat across from Hyuna.

 

“Not at all, son,” Eunju said. “Now eat before your breakfast gets cold.”

 

“I’m not that hungry, mother,” Jiyong said. “Thank you.” His eyes glanced over at Hyuna who kept looking down. He knew something was bothering her. Perhaps it was him being there.

 

Then the words from his dream kept replaying in his mind.

 

“Oh, how come?” Eunju spoke up. “Your fiancé spent all morning preparing all different kinds of food for us. You should at least eat just a bit.”

 

Jiyong’s eyes gazed over at Hyuna who kept quiet and still in her seat. Without saying a word he picked up his utensils and stuffed some of the food into his mouth. The atmosphere around them began to feel awkward with the silence dawning over. Every few seconds she would steal glances at Jiyong who continued to try and eat his food.

 

Jiyong wasn’t oblivious to her sneaky eyes. In fact, he felt irritated to the point where he didn’t know how much longer he could control himself. He set his silverware down, a bit too harsh, creating a loud noise. It startled both Hyuna and Eunju.

 

“Is something wrong?” Eunju asked.

 

Jiyong glared over at Hyuna who irritated him even more by just sitting there looking innocent to all of this. As if she wasn’t the one who made him feel this way or act this way. He stood abruptly from his seat and left the dining room. It wasn’t only Hyuna that was the reason why he was feeling this way. One thing he felt was unsure and that was last night didn’t feel like a dream at all.

 

Eunju was appalled by Jiyong’s action. She turned to Hyuna with a small smile on her lips. “I apologize on behalf of my son.”

 

 

“It’s ok,” Hyuna said. “I’m used to it.” The last part was but a mere whisper but Eunju caught it.

 

“Did something happen between you two in the past?”

 

The question sparked a still Hyuna. She kept looking down like she had been caught. There was a voice in her head secretly hoping Eunju would drop the question but when Eunju kept her steady eyes on her body language, Hyuna knew there was no escaping. How could she explain this to Eunju when she herself couldn’t understand?

 

“No, mother,” Hyuna replied in the most sincere voice. “I don’t know why he’s like this. And it scares me. It terrifies me that one day he’ll realize I’m not who he thinks I am.”

 

Eunju nodded her head. “There’s no need for you to be afraid. No matter how intimidating my son by look or be, I know his love for you means more than anything.”

 

Hyuna slowly nodded taking in those words. She bowed her head politely towards her future mother in law. “Thank you, mother. I must get going now. I have to go to work.”

 

After being dismissed by Eunju, Hyuna left the dining room and made her way to the front door. She exited the mansion to where a parked car had been waiting for her. Her eyes stared at the car with confusion written all over her face.

 

The door to the driver’s side opened revealing, Teddy who made his way to the side of the car. His hand gripped the handle and opened the door.

 

“Thank you, but I’ll take a cab,” Hyuna said. “I don’t want to be a bother.”

 

“You’re going to be a Kwon soon, Miss Kim,” Teddy said. “You won’t ever be considered a bother as you say. Besides…” Teddy’s eyes traveled up and Hyuna followed the motion to the grand window where Jiyong stood. “I believe it would ease Jiyong’s mind if you let me drive you instead. He would do it himself but unfortunately due he could not. He sends his sincere apologies.”

 

“How come?” Hyuna’s eyes never left the sight of Jiyong. He just stood there staring back with those dark eyes. He was leaning against the frame of the window in his all black suit with his hands inside his pockets.

 

“He’s continuing where his father left off,” Teddy said.

 

Of course. Hyuna had forgotten that Jiyong pushed aside all work for the engagement and wedding preparations, despite everything Hyuna told him. Now it’s all catching up to him with the wedding date so close by. Her facial expression dropped and softened as she thought of the late CEO.

 

After the long gazing, Hyuna had almost forgotten why she had to leave. Upon realizing the reason why, she gave Jiyong one last look before bowing to say goodbye.

 

She hurried to the car. As Teddy drove off, Hyuna’s head turned to look back at the now empty window where Jiyong had stood seconds before.

 

This situation has been bothering her since the beginning. Everything was just so wrong. Not once was the thought left Hyuna’s mind since the day she met Jiyong.

 

Even at work, Hyuna spent every second thinking about it. As she sat in front of the computer, curiousity got the best of her. It was clawing at her from the inside out. She began searching online. The letters she fearfully typed out were…

 

K-I-M H-Y-U-N-A

 

The results were endless. There were many woman, females to say the least, with her same name. All of them so far, as she scrolled, looked nothing similar to her.

 

I will find her for you… Jiyong.

 

Knowing it would take forever to go through all the profiles, Hyuna changed the search.

 

Kwon Jiyong.

 

Still, after all this time, Hyuna knew so little of her husband to be.

 

New articles popped up left and right. She need to go back two years, back to the accident the he claimed started this mess. It was amazing what she learned from a few internet articles.

 

Jiyong had gone off to study in Busan but the accident occurred in Seoul. Here, Hyuna remembered being his caretaker until the day he was discharged and had left. Ever since then, Hyuna and Gayoon had been transferred to many different hospitals in the course of that one year, before she met her patient again.

 

“Hyuna?”

 

The voice grew Hyuna away from the screen of her computer and her thoughts. She looked up to see Gayoon standing in front of her looking very worried.

 

“Y-Yes?” Hyuna said rubbing her forehead with her fingers.

 

“Did you want to grab some dinner?” Gayoon asked.

 

Hyuna quickly exited out of the browser. “Of course. Just let me gather my belongings first. I’ll be ready in a moment.”

 

Gayoon looked at her skeptically but didn’t bother to question her. Hyuna sighed in a bit of relief after Gayoon left. She decided that work wasn’t a place to look up the history of your fiancé. She rushed down with her belongings and drove with Gayoon to the nearest restaurant.

 

“Are you nervous about the wedding?” Gayoon asked.

 

Hyuna let a weak smile show through her lips. “It’s not the wedding I’m worried about. It’s Jiyong.”

 

“I’m sure he’s fine,” Gayoon said. “He’s the one who wanted this, remember? Look, Hyuna I know you didn’t want this but look on the bright side. This guy is in love with you and I believe that he can take care of you.”

 

“That’s the thing,” Hyuna said confusing Gayoon. “He’s not in love with me. He’s in love with someone who looks like me. Someone who has my name. I don’t want him to make a mistake he’ll regret. I don’t want to be that mistake.”

 

“But do you love him?”

 

“I don’t want to fall in love with him,” Hyuna said. “Gayoon, can you promise me something?”

 

Gayoon raised a brow in interest. “What?”

 

“I need to find Kim Hyuna. If ever there is someone who looks like me but isn’t me, you must let me know. I feel like I’m losing my mind and I know she’s out there somewhere. It’s not just Jiyong now. There are others who have seen her. All of this is exhausting. I need it to end.”

 

Gayoon nodded. “What kind of best friend would I be if I couldn’t tell you apart from another woman?” Both Hyuna and Gayoon let out a soft chuckle and continued their dinner.

 

After dinner, Hyuna assured Gayoon she would catch a cab home. As she waited on the side of the street, someone had turned her around roughly.

 

“How did you do it?” Zico asked, trapping Hyuna between his arms.

 

“What do you mean?” Hyuna asked. Her eyes looked around frantically. “Who are you? Let go of me.”

 

“You think just because you found yourself a wealthy man, you can leave me in the dumps?” Zico asked. “Think again, babe. I missed you, so why don’t we catch up?”

 

“Get off!” Hyuna pushed Zico away. “I don’t know who you are or why you’re doing this. But I’m not the woman you’re looking for.” Hyuna started walking off in the opposite direction until Zico’s voice stopped her.

 

“You’re hair looks nice by the way,” Zico teased. “It matches the color of your heart.”

 

Hyuna’s eyes widened in horror. She continued in the direction she was heading. Her hands frantically searched in her pocket for her phone and quickly dialed the first person she could.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Jiyong, please, please, please, pick me up right now,” Hyuna cried.

 

The sound of Hyuna frightened to death was enough for Jiyong to dash straight to his car from his office building. “What’s wrong? Hyuna?”

 

“If I tell you would you even believe me?”

“I’m coming right now,” Jiyong assured. “Just stay on the line with me.” There was a small shriek on the line which Jiyong knew belonged to Hyuna. Then came a small thud. “Hyuna?” Hello?” The call ended there.

 

Hyuna’s hands were held with Zico’s behind her back. She struggled but his grip was stronger. He smiled victoriously, letting out a laugh at her attempt to fight him.

 

“What do you want from me?” Hyuna asked.

 

“I want you to suffer like me,” Zico said. “People like us don’t deserve happy endings. If you’re happy then I can’t accept it.”

 

“Why?” Hyuna taunted. “Why do we deserve to suffer?”

 

Zico chuckled maniacally, “Because there’s nothing for us in the end. You and I both know that. That’s why we found each other but…”

 

His sentence was cut short when Jiyong shoved him away.

 

“Jiyong…” Hyuna said.

 

“I thought I made it clear that no one touches my fiancé,” Jiyong growled, pulling Hyuna to his side.

 

“Sorry,” Zico scoffed. “I just couldn’t keep my hands to myself.” There was a half smirk plastered on his face.

 

“Hyuna, get in the car,” Jiyong growled. Hyuna was shaking in place. She heard what he said but could not move. “Get in the car now!” That time the anger shook her from her state and Hyuna obeyed. “Don’t touch her.” Jiyong warned.

 

Zico threw his hands up in defeat. “She’s all yours.”

 

Once Jiyong got into the car, he drove off immediately. Hyuna held onto her seat. At the speed Jiyong was going, Hyuna looked and felt uneasy.

 

“Did you meet him?”

 

“No.”

 

“Did he hurt you?” Hyuna noticed the tightening of Jiyong’s grip on the steering wheel.

 

“I’m fine.”

 

“Don’t give me that crap!” Jiyong shouted. “If I came a second later who knew what would’ve happened to you! You must’ve played him well for him to remember you.”

 

Hyuna kept quiet, not wanting to start an argument she knew she would not win. The rest of the drive home was sat in silence. When Jiyong pulled up to the mansion, Hyuna didn’t wait for him to leave.

 

“Hyuna,” he called after her. “Hyuna!”

 

Hyuna’s steps fastened with every call of her name. When she entered Jiyong’s room. She climbed into the bed, throwing the covers over herself to avoid seeing Jiyong as he entered.

 

“What? Now you’re not speaking?” He walked around to the other side of the bed and sat beside Hyuna. He could hear her soft cries. He gently pulled the blanket away from her face and saw her tearful eyes.

 

“Do you really not believe me?” Hyuna asked.

 

“I came, didn’t I?” Jiyong replied wiping Hyuna’s tears.

 

“Thank you,” Hyuna whispered, pulling away.

 

A sigh left Jiyong’s lips. His hand reached out for Hyuna’s face and gently tilted it to face him. “If he did anything I swear—”

 

“He didn’t,” Hyuna said. “I’m ok because you came.” The last part sounded a bit harsh to Jiyong’s ears. “You can let me go. I just want to sleep.”

 

But he didn’t let her go. “In seven days you will be my wife,” Jiyong reminded. “Forever until death do us part.” Hyuna held back the oncoming tears. “I solemnly swear to love you and protect you for as long as we both shall live. I love you, Hyuna.”

 

Hyuna closed her eyes tightly. She felt her tears slipping through, wetting her face once again that night. Jiyong felt Hyuna’s jaw clenching together. Her body began to tremble slightly against him.

 

When her eyes opened full of tears, his mouth fell ajar. Only sadness in those pair of eyes. He saw the way her lips quivered when she tried to speak out and every time she did, she would stop herself. It wasn’t until Hyuna finally regained herself that she was able to speak.

 

“I wish I could say the same for you,” Hyuna said. “But I can’t.”

 

 

A/N: One Year to LTWYL. Thank you for being patient with me. As always not edited.