Chapter 5

Love The Way You Lie

Chapter 5

 

Hyuna panted heavily with her heart beating fast against her chest. She held her dress up with her hands to keep her from stepping on it.

 

She knew she looked crazy, running down the streets. People stopped and stared but didn’t stop to question what or who it was she was running from. Hyuna stopped and cried on the side of the streets, sliding down against the windows of the shops.

 

Why was this stranger doing this to her? Hyuna couldn’t understand him or what he wanted from her. She’s already told him that she wasn’t the one he’s looking for.

 

Her parents would worry if they don’t hear from her. What would she say? She had to make up an excuse for not being there.

 

Hyuna took out her phone from her red clutch that hung from her body with the silver strap. She dialed her father’s number slowly waiting for him to pick up.

 

“Hello, Hyuna?” her father’s voice rang from the other side of the line.

 

Hyuna could feel her voice shaking, even before she spoke. “Hi, dad. Something came up and I won’t be able to come to the party tonight.” Lies, every word coming out of was a lie. “I’m sorry if I disappointed you.” But how could she possibly tell him the truth.

 

“You could never disappoint me,” Seungsung said sincerely. “I love you. Call me when you get back home.”

 

“I promise,” Hyuna said. “Bye dad.”

 

Hyuna looked down at the battery percentage on her phone. It was about to die any minute now. She turned her phone off before placing it back into the clutch. She hid her face in between her knees and sobbed quietly to herself.

 

The sun had gone down done already and Hyuna found herself in the same spot all this time. She was really lost in her thoughts. She didn’t even notice the city lights or the down pour of the rain.

 

“Hyuna?”

 

The voice drew Hyuna out of her trance. She looked around confusedly, not remembering why she was there. Then her eyes met with a familiar face.

 

“Gayoon,” Hyuna said as she quickly stood up to meet her height. “What are you doing here?”

 

Gayoon pulled Hyuna underneath her umbrella. She began taking Hyuna away from the rainy streets. “I should be the one asking you that. Do you know what time it is? Why are you out like this?”

 

Hyuna hugged herself to keep warm. She didn’t say another word. That night Hyuna decided it was best to spend the night at Gayoon’s. Her parents would question her if she comes home. She needed time to make up another lie.

 

Tomorrow, both Hyuna and Gayoon were both on the schedule at the hospital. That would give her more than enough time to think things through before telling her parents where she’s been.

 

“Something’s bothering you, Hyuna,” Gayoon said as she placed the sheets onto the mattress of the guest room. “What is it?”

 

Hyuna sighed, pulling the sheets the fit the bed. She straightened out the sheets before sitting on the edge of the bed. Hyuna looked over to the mirror ahead of her and Gayoon followed her gaze. For the longest time, Hyuna stared at her reflection, at every single detail of herself.

 

“Hyuna?”

 

“Gayoon…” Hyuna spoke with her eyes still gazing at herself, “Have you ever felt like there was another person who looks like you out there somewhere?”

 

“They say there are seven other people in the world that will look like you,” Gayoon tried to reason but she knew Hyuna was being serious, “but that’s impossible, Hyuna. Why? What’s going on?”

 

Hyuna tore her eyes away from the mirror to face Gayoon. “Do you remember that patient in a coma from three years ago?”

 

Gayoon nodded, recalling the patient in her memory. “Yes, why?”

 

“I bumped into him the other day,” Hyuna said. “He believes that I’m the one he loves. He knows my name but I don’t know who he is. I’ve told him I’m not the Kim Hyuna he’s looking for but he doesn’t believe me. Strange, right?”

 

“Very,” Gayoon agreed. “Don’t worry about it, ok? Try to get some sleep before work tomorrow. Goodnight.”

 

“Goodnight.”  

 

But Hyuna couldn’t stop thinking about it. Was there really someone out there who looked just like her?

 

***

 

Jiyong pulled up to the street of Hyuna’s house. He wanted to confront her about last night. He wanted her to know that he knows about her. She didn’t have to run from him last night. That was what hurt him the most. The fact that she felt like she needed to run.

 

He found himself knocking at the door, waiting for whoever to answer him. After a few knocks, Jiyong stepped back and cleared his throat. He looked up once he heard the door unlock and open revealing Jung-Hwa.

 

“Mr. Kwon, what brings you here?” Jung-Hwa asked. Just a second later, Seungsung came up from behind Jung-Hwa.

 

“Is Hyuna here?” Jiyong asked.

 

“She hasn’t returned home,” Jung-Hwa said.

 

The words pulled a string in Jiyong’s heart. He was worried but at the same time he felt angry.

 

“She told me she was spending the night with a friend,” Seungsung said. “I can give her a message if you want.”

 

Yeah, a friend.

 

Jiyong shook his head and forced a smile on his lips. “It’s not that important anymore. I’m sorry for bothering you Mr. and Mrs. Kim, please excuse me. Oh and do let Hyuna know that I stopped by.”

 

“Will do,” Seungsung said as he watched Jiyong climb back into his Lamborghini and drive off.

 

Jiyong sped down the streets of Seoul, going above the speed limit. Anger and jealousy filled his mind. Just the thought of Hyuna with someone else made him sick to his stomach.

 

Are you with him?

 

Jiyong took a sharp turn and pulled into the parking lot of a small café. He hit the steering wheel repeatedly to let off some steam before leaning back in his chair.

 

Why do you make me angry?

 

Why do I care so much?

 

I shouldn’t love you but I do.

 

He remembered the way she kissed him last night. He was drunk but he knew that he wasn’t seeing things or was he? It hurt him so much how she moved on but left him in the past.

 

Jiyong climbed out of the Lamborghini and walked towards the entrance of the café. Before he could open the door, his body had bumped into another body. Instinctively, he held onto the smaller frame to keep her from falling.

 

“Thank you,” Hyuna said as she looked up. When she saw the person she had bumped into, she immediately pulled away.

 

Jiyong took Hyuna by the hand which caused her to drop her purchases. He forcibly dragged her towards his car not caring about who was watching them. Hyuna struggled to get him to release his grip on her but it only tightened.

 

Once they reached the car, Jiyong quickly caged Hyuna on the side of the door, leaving little to no space between them.

 

“Let me go,” Hyuna said.

 

“So you can party with your boyfriend but you can’t me to my own dinner party, huh, Hyuna?” Jiyong said.

 

Hyuna’s eyes furrowed with confusion. She looked him in the eye and saw no trace of him lying.

 

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” Hyuna said. “Now let me go.”

 

“Don’t lie to me,” Jiyong said. “I saw you at the club. You and your boyfriend seemed very comfortable with each other. Is that why you won’t accept me?”

 

Hyuna ripped her hands from Jiyong’s grip. “I won’t accept you because I don’t know you.”

 

Jiyong smirked at the pathetic response. “You knew me enough to run from me last night before I could confront you.”

 

“You were probably drunk again like the first time we met and began hallucinating.”

 

Perhaps he had a little too much to drunk that he saw her with blonde hair. Maybe his mind wanted to see her the way he remembered her when they first met but he knew it was her. It was her. There was no one else it could be.

 

Jiyong smirked slyly. “Perhaps but I know your face anywhere,” he leaned into her ear, “Kim Hyuna.”

 

Hyuna pressed the palm of her hands against Jiyong’s chest and pushed him away with all her strength. She looked at him with disgust and hatred.

 

“Stay away from me,” Hyuna warned. “I don’t want to see you again.” Hyuna turned to walk away.

 

“Why can’t I have you?” Jiyong asked, stopping Hyuna from going any further. “That motherer… what does he have that I don’t?”

 

Hyuna left without another word. Jiyong was left behind to wonder how someone could be so heartless. When she walked away, he counted every step she took. It took everything in him to not go after her. If she wanted to go, he’d have to let her go. If he really loved her, he’ll let her go now.

 

Goodbye, Hyuna.

 

***

 

Hyeona kissed Zico back lightly, giving him complete control of her body. The music filled the lively atmosphere but Hyeona didn’t care to dance. She only wanted Zico right now and everything he was giving her. After what happened last night, Hyeona made sure to keep an eye out for Jiyong.

 

Suddenly their little romance ended, when Zico was roughly pulled off of Hyeona.

 

“What the hell?” Hyeona shouted. “Let go of him!”

 

“Stay out of this, babe, if you don’t want to get hurt,” one of the strangers said.

 

“Zico!” Hyeona shouted.

 

“I’ll be back,” Zico promised.

 

Zico followed the men into the back alley of the club. He waited until they were ready to say what they had to say.

 

“Where’s the money?” Jaehyo asked.

 

Zico scoffed. “Really? Now? Of all the times you need it now?”

 

“We’re done waiting,” Taeil said. “Where is it?”

 

Zico in his cheeks then threw the two of them a smirk. “I’ll get it when I can. Give me more time.”

 

“We don’t have time!” Jaehyo shouted loudly to make it clear to Zico who treated this as a joke.

 

“I have something better than money to offer you,” Zico smirked. He pulled one of the few wads of cash from his pocket and threw it to Jaehyo.

 

Both males looked at one another before asking in synch, “What?”

 

Zico only smirked before heading back into the club. Both males realized what he meant after seeing who he had been walking to.

 

Hyeona took in another huff of smoke. She threw the cigarette out when she saw Zico returning.

 

“I thought you left me,” Hyeona said.

 

“I’m sorry, babe but I have to go now,” Zico said.

 

“Now?”

 

“Here for you and your friend,” Zico said handing Hyeona a wad of cash. “I’ll make it up to you.” He placed a kiss onto her lips before taking her hand and dragging her out of the club. Along the way, Hyeona found Jihyun and dragged her out too.

 

“Why are we leaving so early?” Jihyun asked.

 

“I don’t want to stay any longer,” Hyeona said. “Let’s go.” She climbed into the cab that Zico had stopped for them. Zico held the door open for Jihyun and once she climbed in he closed the door. His eyes glared at Taeil who sat in the driver’s seat. Just like he planned, Jaehyo walked up to him.

 

“After this my debt to you is over,” Zico said pulling out another wad of cash.

 

“Done.”

 

“I owe you nothing,” Zico said.

 

“I said done,” Jaehyo said. “Now give it.”

 

Zico placed the cash into Jaehyo’s hand. “Take care of her,” Zico chuckled. “Don’t be too harsh with her I might her back.”

 

Jaehyo jumped into the passenger seat with a smirk planted on his face. His presence startled Hyeona and Jihyun. They were wondering why he was there. Taeil noticed their expressions and quickly came up with a lie.

 

“He’s a friend of mine,” Taeil said. “Don’t mind him.”

 

“Ok,” Jihyun said not fully believing the words coming out of his mouth but chose to not press on.

 

Taeil drove off and Hyeona kept looking back to Zico who kept getting smaller and smaller the further they got. There was something odd going on and Hyeona knew.

 

“Turn left here,” Jihyun said but Taeil didn’t. “Or not.”

 

“There’s a faster way,” Jaehyo explained. “Are you guys hot? I’ll turn on the air.” The cool air began spreading through the car but with a weird smell coming through the back vents. Hyeona opened the window but it was closed by Taeil.

 

“What’s wrong?” Hyeona asked.

 

“Nothing we rather not have the windows open,” Jaehyo said.

 

Hyeona closed the vents to the back, stopping the cool air.

 

“Thirsty?” He offered the two some water bottles but both declined the offer.

 

The ride went on longer than usual. Hyeona eyed the two skeptically. She looked into the rearview mirror and noticed the driver’s eyes glancing back and forth between them and the road.

 

“Why do you keep looking back here?” Hyeona asked.

 

Taeil didn’t reply. His eyes returned to the road but Hyeona knew something was definitely not right.

 

“Stop the car,” Hyeona said.

 

Taeil stepped on the pedal after knowing Hyeona had figured out what was happening.

 

“Stop the car right now!” Hyeona demanded but when Taeil didn’t listen, she took matters into her own hands. Hyeona bent over the seat of the car, taking hold of the wheel. Both were fighting for control and neither refused to let go.

 

“Let go!” Taeil shouted.

 

Jihyun held Jaehyo back as Hyeona continued to try and stop the car. Both Jihyun’s and Hyeona’s cries got louder. The stranger began speeding. Before they knew it, there was a bright light flashing in their direction. The loud horn of the oncoming car overpowered their screams. Hyeona let go of the wheel and sat back in her seat. The collision happened and the car was toppling over.

 

Hyeona groaned and opened her eyes. She could wearily see the scene in front of her.

 

“Ji… Jihyun?”

 

“I’m ok…” Jihyun managed to voice out.

 

Hyeona crawled out of the car through the broken glass window. She reached back inside to pull Jihyun out. Both of them stuggled to make it onto their feet.

 

Jihyun looked at the destruction with a heavy heart. She could see the metal scraps from the collision, the fire burning but worse the bodies of two innocents in the other car.

 

“Hyeona…”

 

Hyeona pulled Jihyun away. “We need to get out of here.”

 

“But look what—”

 

“We were never here, Jihyun,” Hyeona said. “We were never here.”

 

Jihyun was scared. A part of her knew she couldn’t leave but another part of her wanted to. She looked at her best friend in the eyes and nodded. Together they limped away from the destruction, using each other for balance.

 

 

A/N: Not edited.