Chapter 27

Love The Way You Lie

Chapter 27

 

Early the next morning, Hyuna quietly snuck out of her bedroom. Her footsteps were light as she made her exit through the halls of the Kwon Mansion. The mansion was quiet, indicating that everyone was still asleep, including the workers. 

 

Hyuna was relieved. She didn’t want anyone to see her especially Jiyong. Anyone also included her mother-in-law, who Hyuna was sure had a lot of questions about what was going on. Jiyong must’ve told Eunju the truth by now. 

 

Once Hyuna made it out the front door, her steps fastened. She caught a cab instead of asking Teddy. If she did and he came back, Jiyong would surely question him and Hyuna wanted to keep anyone else out of trouble.

 

There was no work today. Instead Hyuna visited Seungsung again. To her surprise, Seungsung was standing on his own two feet when she walked in. He had his back turned to her as he looked out the window of his hospital room.

 

“You’re better now,” Hyuna said.

 

Turning around, Seungsung nodded. “Much better.” 

 

“I’m glad you’re ok,” Hyuna said hugging her father. 

 

“Will they be able to discharge me today?” Seungsung asked. 

 

“I’m sure that can be arranged,” Hyuna chuckled. “You’ve been here a long time. They might keep you in case—”

 

“I’m feeling much better, Hyuna,” Seungsung assured. 

 

“I know but that’s not for me to decide.”

 

The discussion about discharging Seungsung didn’t take long. Dr. Heo allowed Seungsung to leave the hospital as long as Hyuna cared for him. 

 

Upon coming home, Jung-Hwa and Sohyun waited anxiously at the front door. Once the cab pulled up, they both ran to it. 

 

Seungsung carefully got out of the car with the help and support from Hyuna. 

 

“Welcome home!” Jung-Hwa exclaimed happily. Her smile slowly started to fade when Seungsung showed no emotion towards her. His eyes were full of disappointment. 

 

“I missed you, dad,” Sohyun said, hugging him tightly. 

 

“I missed you too.” Seungsung pressed a kiss to his daughter’s forehead. He smiled down at her, ignoring his wife’s presence.

 

The four of them entered the home together. Jung-Hwa shut the door behind them. She smiled to her husband who didn’t even spare her a glance. 

 

“You must be tired,” Jung-Hwa said, “let me take you up to our room.”

 

“No need,” Seungsung said. 

 

Jung-Hwa was taken back by her husband’s behavior. He’s never acted like this towards her before. “Ok then. I’ll cook us a meal.” 

 

“I’m not hungry,” Seungsung said. “I’ll be in my office. Don’t disturb me.” 

 

Jung-Hwa watched as Seungsung walked off into his office with Hyuna at his side. She couldn’t help but feel hurt. Perhaps she deserved it and maybe he knew she did too. 

 

Sohyun noticed the dejected look on her mother’s face. She pulled Jung-Hwa in for a hug as they stared at Seungsung and Hyuna until the office doors closed. 

 

Inside the office, Seungsung took a look around the familiar place. Hyuna watched her father’s every move. He seemed a bit off since he arrived home. 

 

“Is everything alright?” Hyuna asked. 

 

“Everything’s fine, darling,” Seungsung assured. “Don’t worry about me. I’m ok.” 

 

Hyuna bit the inside of her cheek, debating on whether or not this was the perfect time to ask her father the questions that were running through her head for the past couple of days. It was now or never. The words just came out naturally. 

 

“Tell me about my mother,” Hyuna said suddenly. Seungsung’s face remained expressionless but his eyes could not hide his true emotions. “And my twin sister.” Then she saw his eyes widen. His expression didn’t change much but she knew the question caught him off guard. “Please don’t lie to me. I met her. I met Hyeona. I’ve seen the birth certificate so please tell me what I don’t know.”

 

Seungsung let out a sigh. He knew there would come a day when Hyuna found out the truth. He hoped that day would never come but he promised wouldn’t lie to her when she found out. 

 

“When your mother and I separated, she took Hyeona with her,” Seungsung revealed. “She didn’t want to stay in the marriage. I begged her to give me another chance to prove that I could be the husband she wanted. I promised her I would. I didn’t think she’d wake up one morning and leave me.” 

 

“Why did mom leave?” 

 

“I wasn’t given an answer,” Seungsung said. “Or maybe I was. The morning she left, I found a letter and the divorce papers.”

 

Dear Seungsung,

 

The promise of us being together, I’m sorry but I could not keep that promise. I’m sorry it had to be this way. I left you with a gift I can only give you and I took with me a gift you can only give me. I’ve named our daughters Hyuna and Hyeona. I must be cruel to separate them, right? I thought it was only fair for us to keep one each. I didn’t want to be a mother who abandoned both my daughters and I didn’t want to rob you of your chance to be a father. It wasn’t an easy decision choosing between my children. I will always love Hyuna. I will never forget about my daughter and I hope you don’t forget about Hyeona as well. 

We were together. That was enough for you. We loved but it wasn’t enough for me. I was so lonely. I was all alone. 

 

“And you never heard from her again?” Hyuna asked with tear-filled eyes. 

 

“No. She left and since that day I never saw her again. No calls, no letters, nothing. It was my fault, if I had been there for her, she wouldn’t have left. She wouldn’t have taken Hyeona. I tried so hard but my job... my job kept me from my wife and my children. I wasn’t there for her during the pregnancy and for years I thought maybe that’s the reason she left. She left because she didn’t want her children to grow up wondering where their father is. But she wasn’t selfish enough to take you both and I am thankful and grateful for that. She was miserable and I couldn’t see that. I promised myself I’d take care of you and I hope I didn’t break that promise.”  

 

Hyuna wiped away her falling tears. All her life she barely spoke about her biological mother. She’s never seen her, even in pictures. It was heartbreaking to hear this. 

 

“Why didn’t you ever tell me?” Hyuna asked weakly. She felt like she was going to choke on her own sobs. 

 

“Because I thought you’d hate me if you knew the truth.”

 

Hyuna shook her head. “I could never hate the man who loves me more than anything else. Your promise was well kept. Thank you.”  

 

“You said you met Hyeona? Where?”

 

Hyuna looked down, biting her lips. It was time to tell her father. She looked back up into his eyes which slowly changed as he saw her expression. 

 

“She’s met you as well.” That wasn’t what she wanted to tell him but the happy look on his face made her heart warm. For the first time in a long time, Hyuna saw something in her father’s eyes. He looked hopeful. She didn’t want to take that away after what he’s been through. “In the hospital she came to visit you.”

 

“Really?” Seungsung asked happily. 

 

“Yeah.” 

 

***

 

Hyeona’s head peeked out the door of Jiyong’s bedroom. Her head looked to the right then to the left of the hall to make sure no one was there. Before she could take a step out of the room, the door knob from the room opposite of her began rattling. 

 

A small gasp escaped her lips as she quietly but quickly shut the door but not all the way. She shut it to where it would leave a small gap for her to see through. 

 

From Hyeona’s angle, Jiyong was behind the door. She heard the door close and saw Jiyong step out. Her legs took a few steps back in case he decided to enter his room. She waited a couple seconds but nothing happened. Hyeona returned to the door, opening it slowly to see Jiyong walking down the end of the hall and towards the staircase.

 

“Where are you going?” Hyeona asked quietly as she followed. 

 

Jiyong hurried down the staircase and entered another hall. Hyeona kept up quietly. She watched as he stopped at a certain door. It didn’t take long for her to guess why. 

 

“You’re checking on her first?” Hyeona fumed. “You love me Jiyong. Not Hyuna.” 

 

Jiyong knocked on the door. When there was no answer he knocked again. He sighed, leaning his body against the door. 

 

“Hyuna,” he called. Again nothing.

 

After the long silence, Jiyong reached for the door knob which was left unlocked and that only meant one thing. When he entered the guest room, he found it empty like what he originally thought. 

 

“Damn it,” Jiyong said. 

 

“Jiyong?” 

 

Jiyong turned back into the hall where Hyeona innocently smiled at him. She took slow steps towards him with that smile still on her face. Her arms immediately wrapped around his neck and she pulled him close. 

 

Hyeona felt Jiyong hesitating to circle his arms around her. She pulled back and looked into his eyes. “Is there something wrong?” 

 

“No,” Jiyong assured, her cheek with a brush of his thumb. Her skin felt like soft velvet under his touch. Her warm breath brushed against his fingertips and his eyes stared at her lips as he slowly leaned in. 

 

“I hope I’m not interrupting something.” Both of them turned around as if they were caught doing something they shouldn’t have. 

 

“Mother.”

 

“Madam.” Hyeona bowed politely, smiling before Eunju, who still looked displeased. 

 

“If you’re both going to do things like this then wait until the divorce is finalized,” Eunju said staring directly at Jiyong. “It’s disrespectful to your wife. Not to mention your sister.” This time her eyes were fixed on Hyeona. 

 

On the outside, Hyeona feigned guilt and innocence but honestly she didn’t give a damn about Hyuna’s emotions or Eunju’s for that matter. All she wanted was what Jiyong was willing to give her. So instead of scowling at Eunju, she nodded. 

 

Eunju walked past them looking straight ahead but there was clear tension in the air. When Eunju was out of sight, Hyeona turned to Jiyong with a worried look, almost like a child who was afraid. 

 

“Don’t,” Jiyong said. “Don’t think like that. She will accept you.” 

 

“And if she doesn’t?” Hyeona asked. “I’m not Hyuna. I’m not my sister.” 

 

“No but you’re the one I love,” Jiyong said. “Not Hyuna. I love you, Hyeona.” 

 

A smile crept on Hyeona’s face. “I love you, too, Jiyong.” 

 

The sudden ringing of a cell phone caught both their attention. Hyeona reached into her pocket and saw that it was Zico. She tried to play it off as if it was no one. 

 

“Who was that?” Jiyong asked.

 

“Must be a wrong number,” Hyeona chuckled to make it seem believable. “Well then, will you be working today?” 

 

“Yes,” Jiyong said. “I’ll be back as soon as I can. Will you be fine?” 

 

Hyeona nodded to the question. “I won’t be here all day. I have to meet up with my friend. I hope you don’t mind.” 

 

“Of course not.” Jiyong pulled Hyeona closer before kissing her on the forehead. “Just don’t run away from me again.” 

 

Her red lips curved into a smirk as she remembered the events years earlier. “Never again.” 

 

***

 

Hyuna walked out of the house. As she closed the door, behind her she felt a presence. Her body turned slowly and her eyes stared at her husband before they fell back to the ground. 

 

“You left again,” Jiyong said. 

 

“I didn’t want to burden you any longer,” Hyuna replied. 

 

Jiyong let out a scoff. He was studying Hyuna’s stance. She looked uneasy yet at the same time calmness was washing over her. In her hands held a large envelope. His eyes widened. He wasn’t a fool. There could only be one thing in that envelope. 

 

“I take it you know what’s in here,” Hyuna sighed, revealing the envelope a little more. “I told you I’ll have it ready.” 

 

“You’re really in a hurry, huh?” The bitterness in Jiyong’s voice struck Hyuna’s heartstrings. She wasn’t able to look at him anymore. 

 

“We both want this to end, don’t we?”

 

Jiyong stared at Hyuna for she refused to give him even the slightest glance. He really couldn’t believe this was all happening so soon. He wanted to end this, right? 

 

“Perhaps we should discuss this together,” Jiyong said. 

 

This time Hyuna turned to face him. She shrugged her shoulders. He could clearly see frustration in her eyes, he could hear it in her voice. “What more is there to discuss? My sister came back, your lover. You shouldn’t even be here. You should be with her.” 

 

“We’re going to do this on my terms, Hyuna,” Jiyong said. “I don’t know how many men are lined up at your feet now that you’re going to be free of me but I won’t ever let you be happy. Married or not, we’ll still be family. After all I will marry Hyeona. I will put an end to your little games before they begin.” 

 

“Is this all you wanted to discuss?” Hyuna heard more than enough. She handed the envelope to Jiyong who just continued staring at her with those dark eyes. His body didn’t move an inch. Only his lips curved into a smile. 

 

“Ask me later over dinner.” Jiyong stepped back with a smirk plastered on his face. “Dress nice, my dear. I’ll text you the time and place.” 

 

Hyuna watched as Jiyong walked away into his vehicle and drove away. Endings were always hard. She believed that Hyeona coming back would’ve made their ending quick and easy. She was wrong. Why was she wrong?

 

Jiyong was right. Hyuna may have not known Hyeona all her life but they were still family by blood. After their divorce, Jiyong would be her brother-in-law once he and Hyeona marry. She didn’t want to see him again after everything is settled because if she did she’ll only be reminded of the loveless love she had. Loveless only because Jiyong’s love belonged to Hyeona. 

 

Hyuna didn’t want to see Hyeona again either. In her heart she wanted to know her sister. She wanted to be close but Hyeona only saw her as a liar and a traitor. Hyeona hated her. Seeing Hyeona would only remind her that she tried to steal Jiyong. Hyuna wanted his love. She wanted it very much but like she knew, it wasn’t her. 

 

From the window, Jung-Hwa heard and witnessed everything. She clenched her fist tightly feeling the guilt banging against her chest. She only blamed one person.

 

The evening came around and Hyuna waited for the text from Jiyong. She did as he said and dolled up nicely. She felt anxious as she stared at the phone from the mirror. Next to the mirror lied the envelope with the divorce papers inside. 

 

The phone went off with a chime. She walked over to it reading the message. 

 

Korea Palace

8:00

 

8:00 came faster than Hyuna thought. She stepped out of the cab and was ushered inside. Jiyong had reserved a private dining room just for the two of them. When she entered the formal dining room, Jiyong wasn’t there. Instead she felt as if she was looking in the mirror. Only she didn’t have blonde hair. 

 

“Hyeona,” Hyuna said.

 

Hyeona leaned back into her chair. Her arms were crossed against her chest as she eyed her sister up and down. A scoff escaped her lips and she turned her head the other way before scowling. “I underestimated you.” 

 

Hyuna sighed before asking, “What are you talking about, Hyeona?” 

 

“You’re bold, I’ll give you that. Still, after I came back, you’re still trying to win Jiyong over. How did you do it? Hmm? Tell me sister, what did you do to him that I didn’t?” 

 

“Stop speaking like this,” Hyuna pleaded. “I didn’t do anything. You know I want this to be over just as much as you do.”

 

Hyeona rose from her seat. Her eyes challenged Hyuna. “Do you?” Hyuna nodded, her facial expression unchanged. Hyeona let out a laugh. “Don’t tell me you thought he actually loved you? Did you fall for him? Stop dreaming, Hyuna. This is my reality. I suggest you wake up before I turn everything into a nightmare.” 

 

“I knew he didn’t love me,” Hyuna said. “Whatever I feel for Jiyong will disappear when this is all over.” 

 

“Over?” Hyeona chuckled. “What is “over” to you, dear sister? If you really want this to be over as much as I do, and believe me, I want you gone, I suggest you hurry it up. I’m tired of waiting. I won’t share my husband.” 

 

Just then Hyeona took the glass of water that was set on the table and threw it at herself. She grabbed a hold of the table cloth and pulled it harshly. The pull sent the plates and silverware crashing all over the floor. There was a sudden shriek emitting from Hyeona’s mouth followed by a few cries. 

 

Hyuna stood there confused as ever. She felt Hyeona’s hands gripping onto her. It was a game of pushing and pulling. 

 

“What are you doing?!” Hyuna screamed. “Stop this!” 

 

“Please stop!” Hyeona cried. “I’m sorry! Please don’t do this!” 

 

Another hand reached out to Hyuna’s shoulder from behind. She felt her body being shoved away. She fell from the impact of the shove. Her eyes looked up to see Jiyong, holding onto Hyeona. 

 

"Jiyong, she... Hyuna hit me," Hyeona said. "She hit me." The lie that had been spoken left Hyuna speechless and unable to concentrate on anything other than her sister. 

 

Hyeona clung onto Jiyong's arm, burying her face into his shoulder. She was very deceiving and a very good actress. Hyuna on the other hand, wanted to retort. Hyuna saw through Hyeona's crocodile tears but Jiyong didn't seem too happy. When their eyes met, Jiyong's were as cold as ice while Hyuna's were beginning to tear up. The way he looked at her hurt. 

 

"Why would you do such a thing?" Jiyong asked with anger laced in his voice. "Did you even give her a chance to explain?" 

 

"She's lying," Hyuna said. She pushed herself off the floor. She felt the words faltering in as she looked at him. "I didn't hit her. I didn't even touch her once." 

 

"How could you stand here and lie to my face once more?" Jiyong scoffed in disbelief. "I saw it with my own eyes, Hyuna! Give me one good reason why I should believe anything that comes out of your mouth."

 

Hyuna felt her heart break, this time there was no more repairing it. It was no use. Not anymore. If the cracks were already forming, then let it tear her heart apart.

 

"Believe me, I'm your wife!" Hyuna fired back. "You're believing someone else's words—“

 

"She's not just someone else!"

 

That was it. The first tear rolled down Hyuna's check. Her eyes looked deep into Jiyong's. He didn't seem like he was regretful of his words. There was nothing in his expression at all. But what he said was true and it was what broke Hyuna the most. She wasn't Hyeona.

 

"After all this time you still never believe in my words?" Hyuna asked but she wasn't going to wait for an answer that she already knew. "If she's not someone else then that must mean I'm the someone else." 

 

Hyuna turned around, holding in her sobs. She could no longer stand there and be humiliated anymore. Everything is over. From that moment forward, everything is over. 

 

“Hyuna,” Jiyong called after her. He started running after Her but Hyeona held him back.

 

“Jiyong!” Hyeona cried. 

 

“I’ll be back,” he assured, removing her hand from his arm. He ran in the direction he saw Hyuna leave. She was running down the street, waving for a cab. “Hyuna!” 

 

He knew she heard him calling. He saw her get into the first cab that stopped. He began banging on the cab window but Hyuna had her back to him. He called out her name repeatedly but she didn’t turn to him once. The cab took off and he was running after it. 

 

When Hyuna returned home, she broke down. Her family looked worried as they rushed to her side.

 

“Hyuna?” Sohyun asked. “What’s wrong? What happened?” 

 

Hyuna looked up with teary eyes. The first family member she looked up to was her father. Her voice cracked as she spoke. “It’s over.” Then she ran into her room. Even with her family members calling for her, she didn’t want to talk about anymore. She locked herself in her bedroom and poured her heart out in tears. 

 

It felt like forever she had been in there locked up just forced to remember the painful past. Those memories were precious yet she didn’t want them anymore. They were meaningless now. It wasn’t real. She kept telling herself that and that’s what hurt the most. 

 

Soon a soft knock came at the door followed by the sound of a familiar voice. 

 

"Hyuna open the door so we can talk," Jiyong said. He knocked on it again. "Hyuna, please open the door." 

 

Hyuna swallowed the sobs back down . She looked down to the ring on her finger. Suddenly the vows, the words Jiyong spoke echoed in her ears. Such memories that were never meant for her needed to be forgotten. 

 

Her body wandered over to the door. Without a second thought, she unlocked the door and twisted the handle. The door swung open revealing Jiyong and her family behind it.

 

“Hyuna...” 

 

A slap came across Jiyong's face before he got the chance to speak even more. Jiyong looked up clearly taken back by the gesture. He held onto his cheek and saw the anger and hurt written in his wife’s expression.

 

"You got what you wanted," Hyuna seethed. "Now give me what I want. I want a divorce!" 

 

"Hyuna..." 

 

"Forget it!" Hyuna cut in. "I don't care what you have to say anymore! I want this marriage to be over with!" 

 

"Hyuna..." 

 

"I love you was my biggest lie," Hyuna said without faltering in her voice. "Do you hear me? I felt sorry for you. My sister ran away from you and you needed my love, that’s all it ever was. I never truly loved you. Give me back my freedom." 

 

Jiyong's mouth fell ajar. His eyes could feel the tears pricking around the edges. "I know you must be angry with me but Hyuna, I—" But Jiyong wasn't given a chance to speak any further. 

 

"Enough!" Hyuna shouted. Jiyong was taken back by Hyuna's anger but in her eyes he knew it was hurt. "I told you from the beginning I wasn't her! You've found her. Now leave me alone!" Hyuna threw the envelope at Jiyong. The door slammed in his face. At the foot of his shoes the envelope fell. That’s all he could see, the envelope holding their final goodbye. 

 

 

 

A/N: Not edited or proofread. Watched Infinity War today and it was great! Inspired me to finish this chapter.