Chapter 7

Love The Way You Lie

Chapter 7

 

Hyeona and Jihyun returned to their now shared apartment. Hyeona refused to ever return to live with her stepfather. Once they both made it into the apartment, Hyeona shut the door loudly, not caring if it wakes anyone next door or around them. Both she and Jihyun have been through one hell of a night.

 

Each of the girls went into separate rooms to clean the cuts that they’ve sustained from the glass. Jihyun went into her bedroom while Hyeona went into the bathroom. Never did they think that something like this would happen to them.

 

Hyeona picked out every piece of glass from the skin. She hoped that none have stuck too deep to leave scars. By the time she was done, the sink was already stained in blood. Hyeona washed it all away. She looked up into the mirror and felt that she was staring at a monster but this monster wasn’t her, no. It was Hyuna.

 

A grin formed on her face as she turned away from her own reflection. Her mind and body was tired now. So Hyeona made her into the living room just in time to look up and see Jihyun exiting her room.

 

“Maybe we should go to the hospital,” Jihyun suggested.

 

Hyeona shot her a look. “Are you crazy? Where are we going to get the money? We’re fine, Jihyun. We’re strong. I have you and you have me.”

 

“Ok but what about the innocent—”

 

“Better they die then us,” Hyeona said. She went to Jihyun, cupping her face into her palms. “Now let’s forget this ever happened. Ok. Just get some sleep.”

 

Jihyun nodded and went back into her room but not before asking Hyeona, “Do you need me to set up for you?”

 

Hyeona shook her head. “No, I’ll do it myself. You’ve done so much for me already. Thank you.”

 

Jihyun shut the door to her room leaving Hyeona in the living room. Hyeona made her way to the couch. She sat down before falling over to her side. She stared out blankly, lost in her thoughts.

 

Zico…

 

With body shooting up from her position, Hyeona rushed to her purse and pulled out her cell phone. She quickly dialed Zico’s number but what surprised her the most was it had been disconnected. Her blood boiled as her mind began wondering if Zico had anything to do with what happened tonight.

 

“Bastard!” Hyeona cried, throwing her phone across the room. She fell onto her knees, curling up into a fetal position and cried her eyes out. Her life has always been this way. If only her father had taken her instead of Hyuna. If only.

 

***

 

Jiyong returned to the hospital that night. He roamed the empty halls back to the room where his mother was kept. Though it was late and visitors were not allowed, Jiyong refused to leave.

 

He felt hopeless and dead. Even though he was breathing, he really wasn’t alive. Jiyong tried to think straight. He needed to be strong. He needed to get through this no matter how hard it is.

 

Upon entering the room, Jiyong saw his mother resting peacefully on her bed. He sat near her and held her hand firmly. His eyes examined her face and her steady breathing. She was going to be ok. She wouldn’t leave him. She can’t leave him. Jiyong wept by her side until the tiredness put him to sleep.

 

In the morning, Jiyong felt his mother’s fingers slightly moving. He shook away the sleepiness and opened his eyes to see his mother.

 

Eunju had trouble opening her eyes but when they finally did open, she blinked a couple times to adjust to the light. Her eyes focused in on the person beside her. Her eyes soon began filling with tears of joy when she saw her son by her side.

 

“Ji… Jiyong?” Eunju said weakly trying to find her voice.

 

“It’s me, mom,” Jiyong said gripping onto her hand. “I’m right here. I’m not leaving you.”

 

Eunju nodded. She turned her head looking around the room. There was a confused expression written on her face. She then turned back to Jiyong waiting for him to explain what happened.

 

“Where am I?” Eunju asked. “Where’s your father? Where’s—” Eunju’s sentence was cut short when she saw the look on Jiyong’s face. His eyes already told the answer she needed to know.

 

Jiyong shook his head. Without saying anything further, he knew his mother already knew what happened to her husband.

 

“No,” Eunju sobbed. “Hyun Suk…”

 

“Father left us,” Jiyong sobbed. “I’m sorry, mom.”

 

“He’s in a better place now,” Eunju tried to console her son even though her own heart was broken. She wanted to be strong and Jiyong knew that but she didn’t have to. He would be strong for the both of them.

 

After the news broke out, Jiyong and Eunju remained inside the hospital room. Jiyong watched on as reporters swarmed the hospital. He wanted them gone. All of them. There was nothing to say right now.

 

Jiyong turned back to look at his mother who stared down at her wedding ring. He looked down not being able to bear seeing his mother’s face. He knew she missed his father terribly. They both did in fact. His eyes looked up to the cloudy sky. He closed his eyes and let the silent tears escape.

 

***

 

Hyuna, Seungsung and Jung-Hwa waited at the terminal patiently for the arrival of her Sohyun. Sohyun was Seungsung and Jung-Hwa’s only child together and Hyuna’s half-sister. The flight had been delayed about forty five minutes. It was late in the afternoon. After a while the passengers began coming out of the terminal.

 

“Sohyun!” Jung-Hwa shouted excitedly as soon as she stepped out from the doors.

 

Hyuna looked up at her sister then her eyes traveled to the man beside her with confusion. She smiled politely at her sister but was skeptical about the stranger next to her.

 

“Welcome back,” Hyuna said hugging Sohyun.

 

“Good to be home,” Sohyun said with a bright smile. Her smile faltered when she saw her family members looking at the man beside her. “Oh! How rude of me. This is Pyo Jihoon, my boyfriend.”

 

Seungsung’s eyes shot out at the word. “Boyfriend?”

 

“Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Kim,” Jihoon said. “And hello…” He looked to Hyuna with a smile plastered on his face.

 

“Hyuna.”

 

“Hyuna.” Jihoon repeated as his eyes still lingered on her.

 

“Let’s get going, shall we?” Seungsung said.

 

They left the airport and drove back home. To Hyuna’s surprise her parents allowed Jihoon to stay in their home. Not that she was against it or anything but Hyuna was protective of her younger sister. In fact it made her wonder about something else as she passed by the mirror hanging in the hallway.

 

Later that night, Hyuna couldn’t sleep. She roamed the mansion in her white night gown and stumbled upon her father in his office. Hyuna didn’t want to disturb him but she needed to talk to him. She knocked just loud enough for him to hear.

 

Hyuna peaked in through the door. “Can I come in?”

 

“Hyuna, it’s late,” Seungsung said. “Why are you up right now, sweetheart?”

 

Hyuna took a seat in the chair near the desk. She sighed as she leaned back crossing her arms against her chest. She seemed like she was in deep thought at the moment.

 

“Dad, can I ask you something?” Hyuna said.

 

“Of course you can.”

 

Hyuna kept her eyes away from Seungsung and looked into the mirror hanging near the book shelf. “Do I… Do I have a twin?”

 

Seungsung was taken back by the sudden question. He was glad that Hyuna wasn’t looking at him right now or else she would’ve seen how his expression went from calm to nervous. He took a sip of this water before coming up with an answer.

 

“No, you don’t,” Seungsung said. “Why would you ask that?”

 

“No reason,” Hyuna lied. “I just… I feel like everywhere I go people I don’t know seem to know me.”

 

Seungsung chuckled. “You’re a nurse and the daughter of a business man. Of course there are people who will see and know you.”

 

Hyuna shook her head. “No it’s more than that.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Nothing,” Hyuna said changing the subject. “I’m just thinking too much.” She then remembered what happened at the hospital. Her apologetic eyes met her father’s. “I’m sorry about Hyun Suk.”

 

“Have you spoken to his son?”

 

Hyuna shook her head once more looking away from her father’s eyes. “Some people don’t want to be comforted. I understand.” Hyuna stood up and left the office. She made her way back to her room where her mind was restless the entire night.

 

The next morning Hyuna woke up early to get to the hospital. She didn’t say goodbye to anyone that morning. She called a cab and just left like that. When she arrived at the hospital her eyes met with Jiyong’s. They continued to stare at each other until Hyuna tore her eyes away. She turned away from him but could hear him call her name.

 

“Hyuna!”

 

Hyuna didn’t stop this time. She continued walking further.

 

“Hyuna, stop!”

 

Jiyong ran up to her, forcing her body to face him. Hyuna pulled away as soon as she felt his hands on her. She looked at him fearfully, hugging her own body.

 

“What is it?” Hyuna said without looking at Jiyong.

 

“I wanted to apologize for last night,” Jiyong said sincerely. “I should’ve never left you alone like that. If anything would have happened to you I—”

 

“It was my fault,” Hyuna interrupted. “I should’ve fought for myself and never gotten into that car with you. No need to apologize to me. If that’s all you have to say to me then I have to go.”

 

“Wait—”

 

“Mr. Kwon!”

 

“Mr. Kwon over here!”

 

Reporters rushed into the hospital upon seeing the young COO from the window. Jiyong gave Hyuna an apologetic look but Hyuna only used this as an escape. No matter how sorry she felt for the guy, she couldn’t let him affect her like this. All the accusations and humiliation from him was enough.

 

Jiyong pushed his way through the reporters. Hospital security rushed the reporters back out for their disturbance.

 

Jiyong got news that his mother was allowed to leave the hospital now. They returned home where no one followed them. Even though it had been the same home they knew. It felt different now. They both felt the same. It was silent. No one said a word, not even the servants there. They knew of their master’s death and tragic accident.

 

There was a knock on Jiyong’s door capturing his attention.

 

“Come in,” Jiyong said as he quickly wiped away his tears.

 

“Your mother wanted me to deliver this to you,” Teddy said handing Jiyong an envelope.

 

Jiyong looked down at the envelope. Confusion was written in his eyes as he scanned the thing. He looked back up at Teddy. “What is it?”

 

“It was from your father,” Teddy said. “Your mother said he left it for you. He wanted to wait until you were ready but now she believes you’re ready.”

 

Teddy left the room after patting Jiyong on the back.

 

Jiyong sat on his bed and opened the envelope. He took out the letter left hand written by his father.

 

Dear Jiyong,

 

I wrote this letter many times before and never knew how to word what I had to say.

In life we never know when our time would come to an end. I never took life for granted and anyone in my life. Every breath could be your last and you never know when your life will be taken away.

 

If you receive this letter it means I am no longer here. If I were still here with you, you would’ve never received this letter. I would have told you in person instead. Because I’m gone it doesn’t mean I’m not with you.

 

I wrote this in case I never got the chance to tell you but I had a wish for you.

I wish you would grow into the man I knew you would. I wish for you to become CEO after me. I wish for you to marry and start your own family. I’ve chosen who I believe would stand by your side. Your mother will tell you. I want you to do what I couldn’t finish. This is my wish for you.

 

But this is only my wish and this is your life. Live it well, son. No matter what you choose in life, I’ll always love you. Take care of your mother. I love you both.

 

Love, your father.

 

Jiyong set the letter down. He didn’t cry any tears. He couldn’t anymore. He wanted to fulfill his father’s wish.

 

“I’ll never let you down,” Jiyong said. “I promise.”

 

A/N: Not edited.